inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Pantera guitarist murdered on stage

Written By: Powerslave on 12/09/04 at 8:21 am

:\'(

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Police said that they were searching for a motive following a shooting spree inside a Columbus nightclub that left five people dead Wednesday night.

Five people died, including the alleged gunman who reportedly jumped on a concert stage and opened fire, NBC 4 reported.

The shooting took place shortly after 10 p.m. at Alrosa Villa, located at 5055 Sinclair Rd.

A crowd of about 250 people was inside for a concert by Damageplay, a heavy metal band. Two former members of the band Pantera formed the group.

The band took the stage shortly after 10 p.m., and minutes later, a man, who was wearing a hockey jersey and hooded sweatshirt, began firing at point-blank range at least four times at guitarist Dimebag Darrell, NBC 4's Kyle Anderson reported.

Darrell Abbott, who was known as "Dimebag Darrell," was pronounced dead at the scene, NBC 4's Kyle Anderson reported. Police released the names of two others who died. They were Nathan Bray and Erin Halk, both audience members.

"(The gunman) came on stage, from the back, like he knew what he was doing and went straight to Dimebag Darrell immediately," an unidentified witness said."

The alleged gunman reportedly shot and killed another member of the band before firing shots into the crowd.

Columbus police were flooded with 911 calls from concertgoers right after the shooting. Some witnesses said the alleged gunman took someone hostage. Minutes later, a Columbus police officer entered the nightclub and shot and killed the man, Anderson reported.

Police did not identify any of the other shooting victims.

Authorities spent hours questioning audience members.

As calls for help came in, dozens of police and EMS crews were dispatched to the scene.

Emergency room workers at Riverside Methodist Hospital were told to watch out for people who would ask for care on Thursday. Police said that about 100 people left the Alrosa Villa before officers got the scene under control.

Two people who were shot were transported by ambulance to Riverside. Their names were not released and hospital officials would not comment about their conditions.

Columbus police and firefighters set up a triage outside the nightclub to treat anyone with minor injuries, NBC 4 reported.

Many people who were injured during the shooting spree and in the chaos that followed were put on buses and treated for injuries at the scene, NBC 4 reported.

Alrosa Villa is a popular north Columbus nightspot for young adults, featuring rock and heavy metal bands, NBC 4 reported.

According to the band's Web site, Damageplan was touring nationally. It performed in Buffalo, N.Y., on Tuesday night and had a concert scheduled in Flint, Mich., on Thursday.

Damageplan featured former Pantera artists Dimebag Darrell and Vinnie Paul. The pair was joined by vocalist Patrick Lachman and bassist Bobzilla, according to their Web site.

--

From NBC.

Dime was one of the greatest guitarists of the past 15 years and a personal hero of mine. I can hardly act or speak right now.

http://www.geocities.com/loudster/dime8.txt

Subject: Re: Pantera guitarist murdered on stage

Written By: kackythope on 12/09/04 at 8:30 am

I just read that on AOL this morning, I was so sorry!!!

Written By: Dagwood on 12/09/04 at 8:43 am

I heard about it on the radio this morning...they didn't mention that one of those killed was from Pantera.  That is incredibly sad...I wonder why he did it.

Written By: Powerslave on 12/09/04 at 8:57 am

From latest reports, the shooter was apparently angry at Dime for "breaking up Pantera". It's complicated. Pantera's ex-singer Phil Anselmo has made comments recently that people who "f--k him over will get what's coming to them". It could be that this guy was an Anselmo freak, but as he's now dead, no one will ever know for sure. Perhaps the worst part is that Dime's brother Vinnie watched him get killed from only a few feet away.  :\'(

Written By: thebutcheress on 12/09/04 at 9:05 am

This is horrible! I heard about it on howard stern!

Written By: Alchoholica on 12/09/04 at 9:05 am

Oh god.. that's awful. I hadn't heard about it, nothing has been said? How could somebody do that to Darrell..

Written By: RockandRollFan on 12/09/04 at 9:12 am

I just read that on AOL this morning, I was so sorry!!!
I'm sorry you had to read it on AOL :-\\

Written By: RockandRollFan on 12/09/04 at 9:13 am

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/09/04 at 11:15 am

I have just read about over the net, that sucks having that happen at a show.  :\'(

Written By: Alchoholica on 12/09/04 at 11:18 am

At least his brother was ok

Written By: Powerslave on 12/09/04 at 11:28 am

At least his brother was ok

He's physically ok. But I'd say that he'd be pretty far from ok at the moment.

Written By: AL-B on 12/09/04 at 11:32 am

What the hell is the matter with people today??? >:(

Written By: Alchoholica on 12/09/04 at 11:40 am

He's physically ok. But I'd say that he'd be pretty far from ok at the moment.

Yeah, he is one tough SOB though.

Nobody seems to know what happened to Pat, a few reports say he was shot and is alive, some say he is dead and some don't metion him at all

Written By: Alchoholica on 12/09/04 at 11:41 am

I get the impression the cops are gonna be talking to Phil soon

Written By: Powerslave on 12/09/04 at 11:47 am

Yeah, he is one tough SOB though.

Nobody seems to know what happened to Pat, a few reports say he was shot and is alive, some say he is dead and some don't metion him at all

The latest report I saw listed four victims' names, that of Darrell, two fans, and the shooter. As for Phil, I'm expecting some bone-headed internet message from him soon, either before he's dragged away by the police, or a few days afterward.

Written By: Alchoholica on 12/09/04 at 11:49 am

The bouncer was also shot, which makes the 5 victims.

Yeah he'll come out and try and turn it to his advantage

Written By: AL-B on 12/09/04 at 12:17 pm

I was just watching Fox News, and one of their talking heads was discussing the shootings with an editor from Rolling Stone magazine (i.e. an "expert"). The reporter said something to the effect like, "Now, the guitarist's nick name, Dimebag...isn't that a drug-related term? So how do we know that this crime wasn't drug-related?" Idiot.  >:(

Written By: Powerslave on 12/09/04 at 12:29 pm

What a vile thing to say. But I'd expect nothing less from the media.

Written By: Indy Gent on 12/09/04 at 1:37 pm

Wasn't a big fan of Pantera, but a tragedy notheless. I'm glad his killer has been silenced.

Written By: Jessica on 12/09/04 at 1:49 pm

I was just watching Fox News, and one of their talking heads was discussing the shootings with an editor from Rolling Stone magazine (i.e. an "expert"). The reporter said something to the effect like, "Now, the guitarist's nick name, Dimebag...isn't that a drug-related term? So how do we know that this crime wasn't drug-related?" Idiot.  >:(

What a load of sh*t! I'm surprised the reporter didn't try to associate him with Satan because he was a heavy metal guitarist. ::)

I want to know one thing and maybe one of you could help me out...why didn't security stop this guy before he climbed onstage?

Written By: Alchoholica on 12/09/04 at 1:54 pm

Well the guy jumped up on stage and literally security were feet behind him, he shot a Bouncer and then opened fire on everyone else.

This is what i have been led to believe, i've read several conflicting sources

Written By: Powerslave on 12/09/04 at 2:00 pm

From the accounts I've read (and I've been checking updates all night), it looks like the guy came in through the backdoor of the club, because he came on stage from backstage, not from the crowd, and was being chased at the time.

Written By: Alchoholica on 12/09/04 at 2:04 pm

Yeah everywhere says he was being persued.

Written By: Marian on 12/09/04 at 3:19 pm

:\'(I have to admit i'm not familiar with many metal groups,but it's tragic that something like this should happen.I heard the shooter got killed;if so,I'm glad.I hate when people use cock and bull excuses to justify crazy actions.

Written By: joedeertae on 12/09/04 at 7:34 pm

That's f'd up. :\'( My buds and I used to go see Pantera regularly at place called Circle in the Square in Shreveport La. in their earlier days.
What a great loss to the metal world. :\'(

http://tinyurl.com/5pqz4
R.I.P.  :\'(

Written By: Bobby on 12/09/04 at 7:37 pm

Very sorry to hear the news.  :(

Written By: Alchoholica on 12/09/04 at 7:39 pm

Joe D.. i assume you know about what Phil Anselmo said a while back.. that Darrell was gonna get what was coming to him?

Written By: joedeertae on 12/09/04 at 9:51 pm

Joe D.. i assume you know about what Phil Anselmo said a while back.. that Darrell was gonna get what was coming to him?

Yeah, I read that. Also check out this article from blistering.com
http://tinyurl.com/5xwho

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/09/04 at 10:58 pm

I don't really know anything about Pantera as far as their music goes, but murder is absolutely SICK....And why the hell did Phil Anselmo threaten his former bandmates? Seems there's a little misplaced ANGER there...if Anselmo is behind it...he should be punished!!

Written By: Alchoholica on 12/10/04 at 6:46 am

Yeah, I read that. Also check out this article from blistering.com
http://tinyurl.com/5xwho

What a crock of sheesh, yeah we all knew Dimebag was an Alchoholic.. and Phil was a heroni addict, and if you wanna take a look at any recent pictures of him.. he still is. What a crock of sheesh.. i just hope someone busts his ass!

Written By: Indy Gent on 12/10/04 at 8:11 am

Sounds like murder for hire to me, if you take away the fact that the suspect fired at random. He might have been on drugs himself.
What a crock of sh**, yeah we all knew Dimebag was an Alchoholic.. and Phil was a heroni addict, and if you wanna take a look at any recent pictures of him.. he still is. What a crock of sh**.. i just hope someone busts his a**!

Written By: Powerslave on 12/10/04 at 8:50 am

OK guys, first of all, I seriously doubt that Phil Anselmo had anything to do with this. Ex-band members talk sh*t about each other all the time, especially when they split acrimoniously. Look at Dave Mustaine trash-talking Metallica all the time. Statements from other members of Anselmo's current band have stated that he is deeply distressed by this, and I'd say he probably is. He's known Dime since he was 19 and no matter how bad the blood may have been I can't see him getting any joy out of this. This was the random act of a lunatic, and that's all.

Written By: Alchoholica on 12/10/04 at 1:58 pm

The man who shot guitarist "Dimebag" Darrell Abbott once told a friend that Abbott's former band, Pantera, stole his lyrics.
But police say they may never know why Nathan Gale (image left) shot Abbott and three other people Wednesday night during a concert in Ohio. A policeman killed Gale.

Abbott was a founding member of Pantera, one of the most influential metal bands of the 1990s.

Gale's friend, Jeramie Brey, says Gale once showed him pages of lyrics copied from Pantera. But Gale claimed he had written them.

Brey says Gale was "off his rocker" and wanted to sue Pantera.

Police haven't verified reports that Gale began his rampage by yelling out accusations that Abbott broke up Pantera.

Hmm.. interesting, he wasn't just a jerk he was dillusional.
He was also an Ex- Marine apparently

Written By: thebutcheress on 12/10/04 at 5:37 pm

The latest report I saw listed four victims' names, that of Darrell, two fans, and the shooter. As for Phil, I'm expecting some bone-headed internet message from him soon, either before he's dragged away by the police, or a few days afterward.

Supposedly he's stated that he's "Devestated"

Blabbermouth is pretty much keeping good tabs on this: http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/

THink about how horrible security is going to be from now on, its going to be exactly like airports soon. >:(

Written By: Indy Gent on 12/10/04 at 8:10 pm

But you never know. ::)

OK guys, first of all, I seriously doubt that Phil Anselmo had anything to do with this.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/11/04 at 12:11 am

Oh man, that's so horrible and sad.  Do they know the motive of that a-hole yet, or is he just a loon? 
I hate to say two people in the same immediate family die at the same time.  That must be unbearable grief.
:\'( :\'( :\'(

The man who shot guitarist "Dimebag" Darrell Abbott once told a friend that Abbott's former band, Pantera, stole his lyrics.
But police say they may never know why Nathan Gale (image left) shot Abbott and three other people Wednesday night during a concert in Ohio. A policeman killed Gale.

Oh, I see, he's just a sicko.  And get real FOX News, "Dimebag...isn't a drug-related term?"  Who are they trying be, Ward Cleaver?  They ain't foolin' me!  Oh sure, like Brit Hume never smoked a doobie!

Written By: Alchoholica on 12/11/04 at 6:58 am

I hate to say two people in the same immediate family die at the same time.  That must be unbearable grief.

His brother wasn't actually killed.. he was just shot at but the Gunman missed him.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/11/04 at 7:50 am

His brother wasn't actually killed.. he was just shot at but the Gunman missed him.

Oh...my friend said the brother had died too, his mistake.  Still sucks, though.
:(

Written By: Alchoholica on 12/11/04 at 8:13 am

Yeah, i see where your friend got that from. It's very confuseing because there are so many conflicting accounts of what happened.

THink about how horrible security is going to be from now on, its going to be exactly like airports soon. >:(

Dude, security is bad in England, i mean like for us. I went to a Slayer concert a few months ago, security was freakin tight and this was a big big gig. Most people were frisked on the way in, there was all sorts of things confiscated and people were being thrown out if they couldn't show like 2 forms of I.D. Let me just reitorate (typo?) THIS WAS A SLAYER CONCERT! These guys are violent anyhow, there are big brawls at there concerts and it is just accepted..

Written By: AngeFaitore on 12/11/04 at 8:43 am

Man... that totally sucks. I'm not exactly knowledgeable about my 80s/Early 90s metal bands, but I remember most of the music being pretty good when they'd play it on alternative radio... at least when you got a lead singer who didn't growl or scream the lyrics.
With the way things are going these days, I'm kind of surprised that there aren't more people trying to murder music artists, from pop, rock, alternative, metal or any other genre. It's a good thing that security is tight.   

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/11/04 at 8:44 am

I don't really know anything about Pantera as far as their music goes, but murder is absolutely SICK....And why the hell did Phil Anselmo threaten his former bandmates? Seems there's a little misplaced ANGER there...if Anselmo is behind it...he should be punished!!
Hey,I may not be into thrash metal,I may not agree with some of the-IMO-'negative' lyrics(sorry,I'm into bands like P.O.D. and Switchfoot).....but NO ONE HAS A RIGHT TO PULL OUT A GUN AND USE IT TO JUST FLAT-OUT KILL SOMEONE....I hope the perp likes 'the burning basement'.........

Written By: One of the boys on 12/13/04 at 9:55 pm

Get your head out of your sphincters with the "Phil did it" bullsheesh...what a bunch of assclowns. Crazy ex-military stalker is the report on the shooter/killer. And even if bands split on good terms, the smarter bands will use whatever media attention they can bring to their new outlets/band...positive or negative...and everyone knows negativity sells. So there was some trash talking going on between the boys...nothing new there from what I can remember. Damn I mean you've got two stone cold drankers and one banger...that ain't always gonna mix ya know

There's also a burnout involved, try hanging with somebody 24/7 for year after year...eventually there is gonna be some tension involved. But when you go back that long, and create something that special and unique together, there is always going to be a bond there. It would be so rare for the hate to be that strong to where premeditated murder would be involved. And I don't believe the media and magazine bs about the boys...that stuff is written with the intention to sell, if you can't make it sell you don't last long. Just like the music business...

Joe D, I was also there back in the day at the Cirlce with the boys...stage divin and all. I think the stage divin originated there back in the early 80s! At least the hardcore stage dives face first and all. We've hungout with Dime, Vinnie, Phil & Rex at the clubs, and have been guests at their houses. They were truly the "Cowboys from Hell"...never ending partiers in that old school southern style.

D I'm drinking a whiskey & coke plus puffing on a thugger for ya bro...you will never be forgotten.

Hey Dime "Where's is at man?" It's right here...and you know what I'm talkin about bro

Thoughts to Vinnie and all the family back in Texas...Phil, Rex and the Damageplan crew as well.

DDA- One of the best and most unique guitarists on the planet...and an even better person!

Written By: Powerslave on 12/13/04 at 10:15 pm

DDA- One of the best and most unique guitarists on the planet...and an even better person!

Amen brother.

Written By: joedeertae on 12/17/04 at 5:52 am

Dimebag's Former Bandmate Phil Anselmo Says He's Devastated, Plans To Disappear

http://tinyurl.com/5wryt

Dimebag Killer's Mom: 'I Bought Him That Gun'

http://tinyurl.com/3ladf

Check for new replies or respond here...