inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Man suing Walmart after buying his young daughter an expilicit Evenescence CD

Written By: woops on 12/11/04 at 8:27 pm

IMO, he should've checked for the "Parental Warning" sticker before buying...  ::)  :P

Or buy a clean version instead. (Though most Wal Marts mostly have clean versions of certain CDs)

Subject: Re: Man suing Walmart after buying his young daughter an expilicit Evenescence CD

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/11/04 at 9:35 pm

Ummmmmmm... hello, McFly.... there is a sticker on the CD!!!!  ::)

Subject: Re: Man suing Walmart after buying his young daughter an expilicit Evenescence

Written By: AngeFaitore on 12/12/04 at 11:43 am

In the words of Lil' Jon... WHAT?!?
Wal-Mart does NOT sell MUSIC with SWEARING IN IT! They sell the CLEAN VERSION!
Maybe they bought it at K-MART, where they offer BOTH versions!

Subject: Re: Man suing Walmart after buying his young daughter an expilicit Evenescence CD

Written By: Indy Gent on 12/12/04 at 1:04 pm

Walmart does not sell albums with the Parental Advisory sticker, and there was no sticker that said "Clean version". Not all albums with cursing on it automatically get a PA sticker on it. :-X  :-\\
IMO, he should've checked for the "Parental Warning" sticker before buying...  ::)  :P

Or buy a clean version instead. (Though most Wal Marts mostly have clean versions of certain CDs)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/12/04 at 1:36 pm

These parents were horrified their daughter heard a dirty word.  Oh please, if you raise the kid in a bubble of purity, you're just asking for trouble!

OK, the F-bomb is vorboten at Wal-Mart, what about racists like Charlie Daniels, and his anti-Arab anthem "Ain't No Rag."  I'll bet that's just dandy.  As Jello Biafra said in re the PMRC's bias against rock music, "I've heard plent of whisky-drenched honky-tonk tunes glorifying people who carry guns and beat their wives!" 
::)

Written By: Indy Gent on 12/12/04 at 2:30 pm

C'mon Max, raising kids on morality is asking for trouble? If one does raise their kids in a "bubble of purity", they might just set an example for other kids to follow, and all that trouble could be worth it. Mark doesn't pretend to be a saint, but his boys were taught high moral standards. If you want to refer to "The Virgin Suicides" as an example, fine. But kids aren't taught right from wrong, you will be asking trouble. But that can be said in the Political forum. ;)
These parents were horrified their daughter heard a dirty word.  Oh please, if you raise the kid in a bubble of purity, you're just asking for trouble!

Written By: thebutcheress on 12/12/04 at 3:09 pm

Not all albums with cursing on it automatically get a PA sticker on it. :-X  :-\\

Your right! I thought the requirement for the PA sticker was the f-bomb, but I've bought cds that had every curse in them and then some...

Still I bought my little sis Gwen Stefani's album and theres this song on it called hollerback girl that is full of profanity! (My family cheks her cds) The song spends about 12 seconds going "uhhhh thats my S*** thats my S***". It was just wierd :o. (I'm using the "*" because I'm unsure of the cursing rules on this board :-\\ )

Still concerning the rules for parental advisory NO ONE checks to see if your 17\18, if you look old enough, you must be.

COncerning the dad, he should be warry of any music that is not classical. Everything else has cursing, even Britney Spears curses. Maybe he can buy his little girl a JoJo cd. Does that have profanity? ??? ??? ??? I dont know...

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/12/04 at 3:54 pm

OK, the F-bomb is vorboten at Wal-Mart, what about racists like Charlie Daniels, and his anti-Arab anthem "Ain't No Rag."  I'll bet that's just dandy.  As Jello Biafra said in re the PMRC's bias against rock music, "I've heard plent of whisky-drenched honky-tonk tunes glorifying people who carry guns and beat their wives!" 

Ohhhhhh......... a dirty word..... uuummm... last time I look/heard profanity is pretty much everywhere...  ::)

Subject: Re: Man suing Walmart after buying his young daughter an expilicit Evenescence

Written By: danootaandme on 12/12/04 at 4:32 pm

How about he just take it away from her, have a talk about the language, return it to the store?
I'm not a fan of Wal-Marts but this is a bit extreme.  If his daughter asked for the album, and if
he is that concerned, maybe he should find out where she heard it first.

Written By: Howard on 12/12/04 at 7:49 pm

So,what did the daughter do? ???

Howard

Written By: woops on 12/12/04 at 10:40 pm

How about he just take it away from her, have a talk about the language, return it to the store?
I'm not a fan of Wal-Marts but this is a bit extreme.  If his daughter asked for the album, and if
he is that concerned, maybe he should find out where she heard it first.

That's one good thing he should've done instead of suing some discount store.  8)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/12/04 at 11:13 pm

So,what did the daughter do? ???

Howard

Asked for the album!!!!!!!!!!  ;D  ::)

Written By: Powerslave on 12/13/04 at 2:38 am

I wasn't even aware that an Evanescence would have cursing on it. When it was first released, it was being sold in Christian music stores.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/13/04 at 2:56 am

C'mon Max, raising kids on morality is asking for trouble? If one does raise their kids in a "bubble of purity", they might just set an example for other kids to follow, and all that trouble could be worth it. Mark doesn't pretend to be a saint, but his boys were taught high moral standards. If you want to refer to "The Virgin Suicides" as an example, fine. But kids aren't taught right from wrong, you will be asking trouble. But that can be said in the Political forum. ;)

There is a difference between "morality" and goody-two shoes.  Anyway, Wal-Mart is an institution with about as much moral authority as Jeffrey Dahmer, IMHO.  'nuff said.

And I thought conservatives despised the litigious society, but I guess all that goes out the window when four-letter words and children are involved.

Written By: AngeFaitore on 12/13/04 at 6:39 am

Walmart does not sell albums with the Parental Advisory sticker, and there was no sticker that said "Clean version". Not all albums with cursing on it automatically get a PA sticker on it. :-X  :-\\

Actually, if you go into finer music shops like Strawberry's, when an album is profane, you usually see an overstock of the CD and this reason is because of the Clean Version/Original Version.
Besides rap, r&b and hip-hop, a lot of alternative albums HAVE been getting the PA logo lately (Green Day's American Idiot, anyone?).
As I recall, I've seen some albums that DO have profanity that lack the sticker, but still get a clean version. All you have to check is the catalogue sticker that they put on the top of CDs during packaging. If the version is different, (Clean Version) will be written under the title and artist.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/13/04 at 10:02 am

Actually, if you go into finer music shops like Strawberry's, when an album is profane, you usually see an overstock of the CD and this reason is because of the Clean Version/Original Version.
Besides rap, r&b and hip-hop, a lot of alternative albums HAVE been getting the PA logo lately (Green Day's American Idiot, anyone?).
As I recall, I've seen some albums that DO have profanity that lack the sticker, but still get a clean version. All you have to check is the catalogue sticker that they put on the top of CDs during packaging. If the version is different, (Clean Version) will be written under the title and artist.

Strawberry's is still in business?  They're all gone up around these parts, same with Coconuts and Sammy Goody.
The most outrageous case of PA stickering I've seen was for the experimental group Twisted Tutu.  I guess somebody tipped the sticker people off to a piece called Touchtone Tony which features a guy reading his gay personals telephone message.  The most risque thing the guy says is "Kind, caring, compassionate, and definitely a top."
The thing is, that CD came out on the indie new music label O.O. Discs, and sold maybe 2000 copies at best.  I bought mine at Tower Records in Cambridge, Mass., one of a handful of retail stores nationwide carrying it.  I don't think the 13 year olds in Podunk were buying the Twisted Tutu CD...I wish they were, though!

Written By: Elvis on 12/13/04 at 10:31 am

Simple. STOP buying the trash and they'll clean up their act or starve one. Sue Evanecsence not Wal mart, Wal mart doesn't listen to Evanescence they sell products (sorry about the spelling - I've never heard of them) or sue Evanecsence's record label. Stop drugs by getting the supplier not the street runner. When people mature and realize cussing in lyrics is stupid and not cool THEN the thugs and low IQ artists with their trash mouth limited vocabulary will have to get a real job or go back to being criminals (some never stop being criminals even after they have hit records). Stupid is a s stupid does. Don't follow the crowd - especially when they are heading to Hell.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 12/13/04 at 12:29 pm

C'mon Max, raising kids on morality is asking for trouble? If one does raise their kids in a "bubble of purity", they might just set an example for other kids to follow, and all that trouble could be worth it. Mark doesn't pretend to be a saint, but his boys were taught high moral standards. If you want to refer to "The Virgin Suicides" as an example, fine. But kids aren't taught right from wrong, you will be asking trouble.
True, I am no saint but thank you for the kind words about my children, Jonathan. My kids were raised in a much worse time than I was. We tried to raise our kids to use common sense and decency. They don't go around yelling obscenities at people, they know how to speak properly, none of this "Yo 'Sup" crap. They don't waste time watching mindless garbage on televison and they respect me and my ex....not much more I could ask for ;)

Written By: AngeFaitore on 12/13/04 at 2:48 pm

Strawberry's is still in business?  They're all gone up around these parts, same with Coconuts and Sammy Goody.

Yup. It's still surviving up in Maine. There's one right in the middle of the Augusta Marketplace. There's a Sam Goody at the Turnpike Mall in Augusta as well.
They used to have Strawberry's in the Auburn Shaw's Plaza, but it was replaced by an Agency Liquor Store.
I guess there's one up in Bangor, too.

I believe that FYE's parent company bought the chain because you can use the Strawberry's gift cards on the FYE website. I think they also own Coconuts, but that store doesn't exist anywhere in Maine that I know of. That used to be in Auburn, too.
I like Strawberry's because the prices are CHEAPER than Sam Goody/Musicland and they have a better selection than FYE because there's more space. Plus, they have really good quality used media. The discs aren't scratched up and sometimes you find rare or out of print albums.
On a related note, I've recently fallen in love with the Barnes and Noble website's used and out-of-print section. They have the Sliders pilot movie novelization and the Back to the Future novelizations that feature scenes that got cut from the final script. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/13/04 at 5:05 pm

Yup. It's still surviving up in Maine. There's one right in the middle of the Augusta Marketplace. There's a Sam Goody at the Turnpike Mall in Augusta as well.
They used to have Strawberry's in the Auburn Shaw's Plaza, but it was replaced by an Agency Liquor Store.
I guess there's one up in Bangor, too.

I believe that FYE's parent company bought the chain because you can use the Strawberry's gift cards on the FYE website. I think they also own Coconuts, but that store doesn't exist anywhere in Maine that I know of. That used to be in Auburn, too.
I like Strawberry's because the prices are CHEAPER than Sam Goody/Musicland and they have a better selection than FYE because there's more space. Plus, they have really good quality used media. The discs aren't scratched up and sometimes you find rare or out of print albums.
On a related note, I've recently fallen in love with the Barnes and Noble website's used and out-of-print section. They have the Sliders pilot movie novelization and the Back to the Future novelizations that feature scenes that got cut from the final script.   

Now, what's FYE again?
There may be a few Strawberry's lingering in Mass., but I haven't noticed any.  One of the only chain stores that carries interesting music here is Newbury Comics.  They opened a store here in Amherst a few years ago, and it does quite well, especially because Amherst is a college town.  Most of the music I'm interested in doesn't get distributed to stores except in the big cultural centers, such as Boston, New York, or San Fran.

Pretty much any record store is going to be better than Wal Mart, though.

Written By: Wolveroses on 12/13/04 at 6:28 pm

We have too many rights here in the US.  People need to get over themselves and get a job instead of suing places.  That's why we don't have many jobs here, they're leaving the US because of this.  Don't blame Bush, blame yourselves!!!!!!!!!!

Written By: Indy Gent on 12/13/04 at 6:33 pm

But there wasn't any at Walmart. ;)

Written By: Indy Gent on 12/13/04 at 6:34 pm

When they can win a lot of church donations in court... :-\\
And I thought conservatives despised the litigious society, but I guess all that goes out the window when four-letter words and children are involved.

Written By: Howard on 12/13/04 at 7:03 pm

She shouldn't have to listen to her Father.She should've just bought the CD and just shut up. ::)

Howard

Written By: AngeFaitore on 12/13/04 at 7:11 pm

But there wasn't any at Walmart. ;)

I don't set foot in Wal-Mart, so I don't know if they overstock some titles or not.  ::)
I'm a K-Mart girl.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/13/04 at 9:55 pm

I don't set foot in Wal-Mart, so I don't know if they overstock some titles or not.  ::)
I'm a K-Mart girl.

K-Mart girl, she's been living in her K-Mart world, I guess she's never had a Target man, that's what I am...

Written By: AngeFaitore on 12/14/04 at 11:13 am

K-Mart girl, she's been living in her K-Mart world, I guess she's never had a Target man, that's what I am...

LOL.
Thanks, now I have Uptown Girl stuck in my head!

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/14/04 at 11:42 am

We have too many rights here in the US.  People need to get over themselves and get a job instead of suing places.  That's why we don't have many jobs here, they're leaving the US because of this.  Don't blame Bush, blame yourselves!!!!!!!!!!

The States has become too suit happy.

Written By: Elvis on 12/14/04 at 2:34 pm

AMEN Wolveroses!!! What is Evanescence anyway- a woman' s perfume or a potpourri flavor of deodorizer?

Written By: RockandRollFan on 12/14/04 at 3:03 pm

AMEN Wolveroses!!! What is Evanescence anyway- a woman' s perfume or a potpourri flavor of deodorizer?
It's ALL of those...as well as a floor polish!

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/14/04 at 3:58 pm

It's ALL of those...as well as a floor polish!

No... it's the new Japanese cutting knife, it slices and dices and cuts french fries in three different ways, it's also the new perfume from Calvin Klein!  ::)  ;D

Written By: Howard on 12/14/04 at 6:48 pm

So who won? Walmart or The Guy?

Howard

Written By: woops on 12/14/04 at 9:01 pm

I found some "politically incorrect" images on some cartoon public domain DVDs and  explained to my relatives about how such images were common & why it's deemed offensive (In it's proper context)  instead of suing the local discount store I bought them from...  :)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 12/14/04 at 9:07 pm

No... it's the new Japanese cutting knife, it slices and dices and cuts french fries in three different ways, it's also the new perfume from Calvin Klein!  ::)  ;D
;D

Written By: thebutcheress on 12/15/04 at 7:41 am

She shouldn't have to listen to her Father.She should've just bought the CD and just shut up. ::)

Howard

lol. Not into authority are you?

Really though, I was buying parental advisory @ 14.
And this whole Idea of raising kids to never curse is crap. Music doesn't warp kids minds. Most of what I listen to is heavier than evanescense and I have yet to go on a murderous rampage.  :D

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/15/04 at 9:32 pm

And this whole Idea of raising kids to never curse is crap. Music doesn't warp kids minds. Most of what I listen to is heavier than evanescense and I have yet to go on a murderous rampage. :D
That's absolutely true....I actually learned more potty words from hearing my parents and other adults in my life utter them while smashed on Seagram's 7,Michelob,Crown Royal,and Stolichnaya vodka...put this way...Marilyn Manson and Metallica sound like altarboys compared to my 'dysfunctional Brady Bunch' family!!

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/15/04 at 9:35 pm

That's absolutely true....I actually learned more potty words from hearing my parents and other adults in my life utter them while smashed on Seagram's 7,Michelob,Crown Royal,and Stolichnaya vodka...put this way...Marilyn Manson and Metallica sound like altarboys compared to my 'dysfunctional Brady Bunch' family!!
I wonder what would happen if his kid got hold of an Andrew Dice Clay comedy video...omg daddy would have a heart attack...jk,folks!

Written By: Howard on 12/16/04 at 4:07 pm

And this whole Idea of raising kids to never curse is crap. Music doesn't warp kids minds. Most of what I listen to is heavier than evanescense and I have yet to go on a murderous rampage.  :D

I'm into authority sometimes but they're not going to take my listening privleges away. ::)

Howard

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/17/04 at 10:02 am

I wonder what would happen if his kid got hold of an Andrew Dice Clay comedy video...omg daddy would have a heart attack...jk,folks!

Ummmm..... he would freak out!  ::)  ;D

Written By: Marian on 12/17/04 at 2:31 pm

::)Maybe he was reaching for an Everly brothers Cd and picked out that one instead LOL Cheers!

Written By: thebutcheress on 12/17/04 at 3:33 pm

EXACTL:Y! I learned how to curse from family and school, so there you go. Dont let your kids watch tv, home school them and monitor their computer usage and you'll have a "pure" and slightly dull child, who'll freak out when they hit college.

Written By: Howard on 12/17/04 at 8:02 pm

EXACTL:Y! I learned how to curse from family and school, so there you go. Dont let your kids watch tv, home school them and monitor their computer usage and you'll have a "pure" and slightly dull child, who'll freak out when they hit college.

Me too butcheress.I learned how to curse from family and friends.other times I wound up with soap in my mouth. ;D

Howard

Written By: Vayle on 01/25/05 at 3:24 pm

Someone mentioned we have too many rights here in the U.S....??? I don't even want to touch that one!

Bottom line - freedom comes with responsibilities and we're all free to choose the things we do and don't want to listen to or watch.

I'm more in line with the idea that I may disagree with what you think, believe, like to watch, listen to - whatever - but I support your right to be the person you wish to be and to raise your children (in this case) in the manner you decide for them that is in their best interest.

Granted - people cross lines in infringing on another's rights goes against this - ...suing the band (Evanescence - I happen to like Amy Lee's sound), or a place that sells their product isn't going to solve anything.  If its not right for you or yours, you don't like it - then don't support it by purchasing it.

And too...as parents...no matter how well we try raise them - we do our best and we hope it was enough.  Sometimes its not.  But children aren't just extensions of us - they have their own minds, and eventually (as the teen years progress especially) they are going to become the person they choose to be - but hopefully with the guidance and values we've tried to raise them with.

Anyway - shielding kids from the reality of the real world may be the perfect childhood in a sense, but I don't think it prepares them for the things they are going to understand and face as they approach adulthood...

It's a complicated topic and people have their own opinions...to the person who thinks we have to many rights in America...at least we have the right to those thoughts and beliefs and preferences and the right to disagree aobut it.

Vayle

Written By: Apricot on 01/25/05 at 4:41 pm

Whereas Ween has made me believe that I am the f***ing Stallion!  ;D

Written By: Apricot on 01/25/05 at 4:43 pm

In the words of Lil' Jon... WHAT?!?
Wal-Mart does NOT sell MUSIC with SWEARING IN IT! They sell the CLEAN VERSION!
Maybe they bought it at K-MART, where they offer BOTH versions!

No, they don't sell ONLY clean versions. I have a Modest Mouse CD, FROM WAL-MART. Lyrics include:

"F***ing people over"
"I don't give a s***"

And such. Not a whole lot, but some nonetheless.

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/25/05 at 7:31 pm

Now, what's FYE again?
There may be a few Strawberry's lingering in Mass., but I haven't noticed any.  One of the only chain stores that carries interesting music here is Newbury Comics.  They opened a store here in Amherst a few years ago, and it does quite well, especially because Amherst is a college town.  Most of the music I'm interested in doesn't get distributed to stores except in the big cultural centers, such as Boston, New York, or San Fran.

Pretty much any record store is going to be better than Wal Mart, though.

still a Strawberries in my hometown.  The used section is sometimes reasonable, but not often enough for me to bother stopping there (and since they're next door to my bank, you'd think I'd stop there more often).

Newbury Comics is a few towns away, but I always manage to shop there when there's something I want (and don't go online for it).

As for a CD with swears being sold at Walmart, it shouldn't be that shocking since they sell plenty of movies with them. You can puruse the lyrics for nearly any popular album sold online currently, so ignorance of the words the performer uses is pretty silly to argue in this day and age.

I accidently bought a censored edition of Korn's "Issues" and had already thrown away my receipt so I couldn't bring it back for an exchange.  The packaging wasn't clearly marked as censored, and I was not very happy about it.  Why anyone would bother removing the curse words from an album that clearly was not meant for people too immature to hear them yet, is anyone's guess.  I also found the way they removed them to be quite annoying too, it totally cuts out at parts.

Check for new replies or respond here...