inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Your memories of the Y2K "bug"

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/12/04 at 4:04 pm

I remember going to the bank to see if my cheque went threw ok, and it did, what does anyone else here remember?

Subject: Re: Your memories of the Y2K "bug"

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/12/04 at 4:08 pm

Then there was the cheesy Y2K Made for TV movie!!!!!!!  ;D  ;D  ::)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0215370/

Written By: gemini61 on 12/12/04 at 4:17 pm

I remember waiting. . . . . waiting. . . . . waiting  :-\\  Nothing happened!!  ;D 

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/12/04 at 4:22 pm

I remember waiting. . . . . waiting. . . . . waiting  :-\\  Nothing happened!!  ;D 

I know the whole world was suppossed to come to an end!  ::)  ;D

Written By: danootaandme on 12/12/04 at 4:26 pm

A couple of guys I worked with paid all kinds of penalties on cd's and mutual funds cause they
were afraid of losing it.  We had a great time with them when we got back to work. ;D ;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/12/04 at 5:02 pm

A couple of guys I worked with paid all kinds of penalties on cd's and mutual funds cause they
were afraid of losing it.  We had a great time with them when we got back to work. ;D ;D

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  ::)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 12/12/04 at 7:12 pm

Y2K was just a false scare.....AOL is the REAL thing :o :P

Written By: Howard on 12/12/04 at 7:27 pm

I remember thinking God would come down to earth but bupkus happened. ::)

Howard

Written By: Howard on 12/12/04 at 7:28 pm

I also thought that computers would get messed up on Y2K ::)

Howard

Written By: RockandRollFan on 12/12/04 at 8:14 pm

I also thought that computers would get messed up on Y2K ::)

Howard
Only the ones that had AOL...and that happened way before 2000 :D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/12/04 at 9:33 pm

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/12/04 at 9:40 pm

Yeah.... but what about Y3K?  ::)  ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/13/04 at 2:58 am

I stayed home alone on New Years Eve and read Conrad's Heart of Darkness.  At midnight nothing happened.  How anti-climactic.
:-\\

Written By: karen on 12/13/04 at 6:37 am

It is possible that nothing happened because of all the work that went on beforehand once the problem was realised.  My friend made quite a bit of money working for a major company updating their software because she could program in some of the 'old' languages as well.

At work we took multiple back-ups of data and stored them in various formats so we would hopefully be able to recover the data if everything crashed.

Written By: AngeFaitore on 12/13/04 at 6:43 am

I thought that the ball would go out in Times Square.
Apparently they had designed a new disco looking ball that year.
Nothing happened.

Written By: Powerslave on 12/13/04 at 8:57 am

It is possible that nothing happened because of all the work that went on beforehand once the problem was realised.  My friend made quite a bit of money working for a major company updating their software because she could program in some of the 'old' languages as well.

At work we took multiple back-ups of data and stored them in various formats so we would hopefully be able to recover the data if everything crashed.

There was never going to be a problem. Computer science had foreseen the Y2K "problem" as far back as the 50s. Virtually every computer language and program was written to read the year part of a date as the last two digits for exactly that reason! Y2K was a sham. You know where Bill Gates was on New Year's Eve, 1999? On a yacht on Sydney Harbour.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 12/13/04 at 9:25 am

Remember what happended to D-i-c-k Clark when he was on The Simpsons!?

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:AFsiYYUVjG8J:http://simpsons.metropoliglobal.com/famosos/BABF01DickClark.jpg

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/13/04 at 9:43 am

I was telling everyone that we would be sitting here in the dark come 12:00. But we weren't. In fact, we weren't even home. We were in Puerto Rico at the time at a party-watching the fireworks and dancing up a storm. (This was an hour BEFORE the ball dropped in Times Square.)

Cat

Written By: karen on 12/13/04 at 10:37 am

There was never going to be a problem. Computer science had foreseen the Y2K "problem" as far back as the 50s. Virtually every computer language and program was written to read the year part of a date as the last two digits for exactly that reason! Y2K was a sham. You know where Bill Gates was on New Year's Eve, 1999? On a yacht on Sydney Harbour.

The point was exactly that because the date was only stored as two digits some systems might get confused when filing things.  does 00 and 01 come before or after 98 and 99?

The dataloggers at work got confused till we had an update on the software.  They interpreted the 00 to mean 1980.  When it saves your files with the date as the title then this can make a big difference.

Written By: AL-B on 12/13/04 at 10:40 am

My younger brother pulled a good practical joke on me on Y2K. At my old apartment, there was light switch that controlled the outlet that the lamp and the TV were both plugged into. When the countdown hit zero, all of a sudden all of the lights and the TV went out, and I was like, "Oh, sh*t!" Five seconds later they came back on and my brother was smiling at me. I just about clocked him!

Written By: Elvis on 12/13/04 at 10:43 am

Laughing at all the people who stored up water and canned goods! God tells us in the Bible how this will all end and yet people who should know better are lead into panic by such nonsense. God had to laugh at the Y2K fiasco. THINK people! IF you stored up all your supplies and things got as bad as some thought, Those who didn't store up  would have Killed you for your supplies, so either way you die from starvation or a bullet to the head. At least some folk have a lifetime supply of canned green beans now. Ha! We should NEVER rely on a computerized system EVER. Put your trust in God not man or his man made machinery. Y2K was hilarious...Some deny they were even worried now, till the next crisis and they'll be out buying duct tape and plastic, it's a wonder God don't smite us all. He must love stupid people- he made so many of them.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/13/04 at 10:47 am

I stayed home alone on New Years Eve and read Conrad's Heart of Darkness.  At midnight nothing happened.  How anti-climactic.
:-\\

To really warp your mind... you should have watched Apocalypse Now as well!  ;D

Written By: Alchoholica on 12/13/04 at 4:10 pm

I was far too wasted by then to remember anything. I remember my friend saying to me.. what happens at midnight.. what if missiles go off.. what if this what if that.. my response was classic.. (or so i thought at the time)..

Ha Ha Pete! What if i don't care?

Of course in retrospect there were many far more witty comments.. that is my biggest regret ::)

Written By: Indy Gent on 12/13/04 at 4:34 pm

What bug?????!!! ;D

Written By: Howard on 12/13/04 at 7:14 pm

I think it was all just a scare tactic.I thought God would come down at midnight 2000 and save us all. ;D
I was scared for nothing. ::)

Howard

Written By: Powerslave on 12/13/04 at 10:21 pm

They interpreted the 00 to mean 1980. 

I don't uinderstand this. Sounds like the software you were using was, to use an Aussie term, "bodgy". Why would it think that "00" meant "80"? That's just silly. The fact is that for most software applications, the change from 99 to 00 simply wouldn't have made the slightest difference; it was merely that people thought it would, so they panicked. The moral is, as Douglas Adams has taught us, "Don't Panic".

Written By: karen on 12/14/04 at 3:41 am

I don't uinderstand this. Sounds like the software you were using was, to use an Aussie term, "bodgy". Why would it think that "00" meant "80"? That's just silly. The fact is that for most software applications, the change from 99 to 00 simply wouldn't have made the slightest difference; it was merely that people thought it would, so they panicked. The moral is, as Douglas Adams has taught us, "Don't Panic".

I don't know exactly why it did that.  I think that 1980 was the default year if you hadn't set the date in the logger so this might be the reason.  Anyway they sent a software update and that fixed it.

Written By: mrgazpacho on 12/14/04 at 6:33 am

A similar issue (for UNIX systems) is that the "epoch" will run out on 32-bit systems sometime in 2038. Starting from zero as midnight Jan 1 1970, that is. Other systems might start from a different date (such as yours apparently did, karen).

I spent many hours going through code and correcting it for possible Y2K errors and was at work over midnight watching to see if any systems failed. Fortunately none did :)

Written By: joedeertae on 12/14/04 at 6:45 am

I didn't freak out or go and buy up a bunch of canned goods and water for Y2K. But I did however stay at home. My main concern was what would people on the streets be doing at midnight? I wasn't sure if people were going to be running around raising he77 because they thought it was the end of civilization?!? But... nothing happend.

sounds kinda silly now ::)

Written By: Paul on 12/14/04 at 7:19 am

My friend made quite a bit of money working for a major company updating their software because she could program in some of the 'old' languages as well.

Heh! A friend of mine also made a killing in the same way...

When I asked him what he was actually doing, he replied 'Looking busy, and being paid handsomely for it...!!'

Anyway...on New Years Eve 1999, BBC-tv (in their oh-so-infinite wisdom) decided to devote a whole day covering the millennium in all corners of the globe...

It started off in some remote island in the Pacific and carried on in a westerly direction...

I think we were all sitting there waiting to see if the first big piece of civilization (New Zealand) would go 'kaboom'...we lost interest soon after...!!

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/14/04 at 7:43 am

I remember people panicing and buying canned goods and duct tape, when it was over they probally sold everything on E-Bay!  ;D  ::)

Written By: Alchoholica on 12/14/04 at 8:26 am

Getcha Real Armaggedon Dried Prunes!

Written By: karen on 12/14/04 at 9:03 am

Anyway...on New Years Eve 1999, BBC-tv (in their oh-so-infinite wisdom) decided to devote a whole day covering the millennium in all corners of the globe...

It started off in some remote island in the Pacific and carried on in a westerly direction...

I think we were all sitting there waiting to see if the first big piece of civilization (New Zealand) would go 'kaboom'...we lost interest soon after...!!

We spent the time just after midnight setting off fireworks at the foot of Snowdon.  So that part of Wales was going kaboom!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/14/04 at 10:29 am

My younger brother pulled a good practical joke on me on Y2K. At my old apartment, there was light switch that controlled the outlet that the lamp and the TV were both plugged into. When the countdown hit zero, all of a sudden all of the lights and the TV went out, and I was like, "Oh, sh*t!" Five seconds later they came back on and my brother was smiling at me. I just about clocked him!

Now, that is funny.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 12/14/04 at 7:01 pm

I guess we were all scared for nothing. ::)

Howard

Written By: Echo Nomad on 05/12/06 at 2:47 pm

I kinda knew it was a hoax earlier in the day after the first few modern cities like Sydney and Tokyo went through without a problem.

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/12/06 at 3:24 pm

I knew that there wasn't really going to be any problems.

Written By: danootaandme on 05/12/06 at 3:41 pm

Most everyone I know didn't think much about it, but one guy I worked with withdrew his 401k money because he was afraid that he would lose it all.  He talk a deep hit because of the withdrawal, then nothing came of it.  He wasn't able to buy back in for a certain time period, so he lost on the withdrawal, and the money he would have made if he had left it alone.  We nicknamed him "daytrader"

Written By: F.U.B.A.R. on 05/12/06 at 4:42 pm

Never belived it myself, I just thought it was really stupid.
But I was curious enough to try it out and set my computers date and time to one minute before 2000, one minute later...  nothing happened! ::)

Written By: W on 05/12/06 at 8:38 pm

Differant people at work asked if I was stock piling anything for the crash. I always shut them down when I told them I was stocking up on ammo and I knew where I could get almost anything I'd need with it.  I believe some thought I meant it.  The only problem coming from the last two digits for the year, that I heard of, was that you couldn't title a new car in Penna. USA, for a couple days. Because the PENDOT computers would only issue antique plates to cars that the computers thought were made in 1900 instead of 2000.  And some people born before 1900 were suddenly listed as a couple of years old in some data bases.      W

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/12/06 at 8:58 pm

I thought the whole thing was ludicrous. For starter's, computers aren't aware about such things as dates, the millenium.etc. Why do you think Microsoft Windows 95 had an option to set the date PAST 2000!  :D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/12/06 at 10:25 pm

well let's see. At the time, I was married to a super freak (my ex), who was obsessive over the entire thing. He made me go to seminars with him that talked about stock piling food, and buying freeze dried stuff. He bought so many cans of veggies, they were taking up the whole place. What a wack job!  Then...after that day came and went (and nothing happened)....he felt like an idiot (rightly so), and had enough canned veggies to last him 4 lifetimes. ::)

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/12/06 at 10:27 pm

well let's see. At the time, I was married to a super freak (my ex), who was obsessive over the entire thing. He made me go to seminars with him that talked about stock piling food, and buying freeze dried stuff. He bought so many cans of veggies, they were taking up the whole place. What a wack job!  Then...after that day came and went (and nothing happened)....he felt like an idiot (rightly so), and had enough canned veggies to last him 4 lifetimes. ::)

Wow, what a weirdo.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/12/06 at 10:28 pm

Wow, what a weirdo.

tell me about it....that's why he is an "ex"....thank god!! ;)

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/12/06 at 10:33 pm

tell me about it....that's why he is an "ex"....thank god!! ;)

Yea thank god you got rid of him.  :) My sister has had a couple ex's herself, they weren't really weird, just total losers.

Written By: whistledog on 05/12/06 at 10:34 pm

The Y2K bug was real, I'm serious.  Here's what happened ... 

I was using my computer the night of December 31, 1999, and as soon as it struck midnight on my computer's clock, nothing happened.  Some 15 minutes later, I noticed my computer clock still said 12:00 AM.  The time never changed, so I re-booted my computer, and when it came back up, I got that message that says my computer clock has been changed as a result of Daylight saving time (WTF?), but instead of updating my clock (which it shouldn't even be doing in the first place), it changed my clock to a bunch of jumbled characters, something like 8b:2E LM, if I remember correctly

The next day I used my computer, I was getting lots of errors, including the "blue screen of death", not on a regular basis, but every so often.  I didn't want to spend the money to get my PC fixed, so I just suffered through the errors, and eventually (like a month later), my computer died  :\'(

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/12/06 at 10:55 pm

[quote author=wһіѕ

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 05/12/06 at 11:51 pm

Being the first proper country to see the year 2000, I guess everyone was hanging on. By the time 12:01 came everyone was kinda dissapointed (or relieved) really. By the time the Y2K hit the States, nobody would have been worried about the "Bug" by then.

Written By: Skippy on 05/16/06 at 6:12 pm

Yes, Y2K was a definate threat on some systems and programs. I have one system that the BIOS won't properly recognize year 2000 and there's no fix. On many systems with Y2K issues you only need to manually enter the date after 2000 they run fine.
Some programs, such as older Microsoft Word versions only read up to the year 2039. Now imagine if a bank's computer was running obsolete BIOS or programs. The same is true for some older computer BIOS chips, yet some will read up to year 2099 and others will even read to year 9999. By 1994 many programmers wrote their software to handle the Y2K glitch. But I'll bet even today many computers and programs are sold with a date restriction, mostly because the designers believe they will be obsolete after 5-10 years.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 05/16/06 at 6:15 pm

I don't have any real memories of it because no one I knew was overly concerned with it.  We didn't have our own computer at the time so that wasn't something we were actively concerned about.  I did think people were making much ado about nothing, though.

Written By: Bobby on 05/16/06 at 7:38 pm

I know the whole world was suppossed to come to an end!   ::)  ;D

The technological world was supposed to come to an end.

Planes were supposed to fall from the sky, banks were supposed to mess up/delete people's accounts, computers of every form was supposed to go absolutely nuts and so forth. I found it quite amusing to go to the cash machine that night to find nothing out of the ordinary had happened.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/16/06 at 9:23 pm

I suspected it was much ado about nothing. There were compelling arguments for disaster at hand, but I had a gut feeling it would blow over, and it did. Some people in my family made elaborate preparations for the worst. No harm done. Hey, now you've got a lifetime supply of Campbell's soup and tuna fish!
;D

Check for new replies or respond here...