inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: VH1 Classic...Like The First Time, Only Better!!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 12/16/04 at 10:19 pm

Ever since I first saw VH1 Classic I've been wanting to share/ask if everyone else has noticed something interesting...or do I not have a life :D ALL the videos they show go all the way through to the VERY END...MTV and VH-1 used to cut the hell out of them. It's like seeing them for the first time, I love it :)

Subject: Re: VH1 Classic...Like The First Time, Only Better!!

Written By: woops on 12/16/04 at 11:23 pm

Does VH1 Classic air "banned" or uncensored videos like the long version of "Girls On Film" (Duran Duran), the banned version of  "Relax" (Frankie Goes To Hollywood), "Justify My Love" (Madonna), "Do You Really Want To Hurt Me" (Culture Club) with the intro... etc.  :)

MTV2 also airs entire videos, but mostly current stuff. Good for a fan of today's rock & alteternative. But unfortunately, I don't have VH1 Classic. But I collect music video compilation DVDs as a hobbie.  8) Though a few years ago, when MTV2 was more diversed & great, they aired a couple banned music videos uncut.  :D Fortunately, I have it on tape.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 12/16/04 at 11:29 pm

Does VH1 Classic air "banned" or uncensored videos like the long version of "Girls On Film" (Duran Duran), the banned version of  "Relax" (Frankie Goes To Hollywood), "Justify My Love" (Madonna), "Do You Really Want To Hurt Me" (Culture Club) with the intro... etc.  :)

MTV2 also airs entire videos, but mostly current stuff. Good for a fan of today's rock & alteternative. But unfortunately, I don't have VH1 Classic. But I collect music video compilation DVDs as a hobbie.   8) Though a few years ago, when MTV2 was more diversed & great, they aired a couple banned music videos uncut.  :D Fortunately, I have it on tape.

I have yet to see the banned ones you mentioned but that doesn't mean they haven't played them. I'm sorry you don't get them...do you have cable or satellite? I discovered it on Dish network a few years ago and now it's on cable. I also used to like MTV2 a couple years ago :)

Written By: Bobby on 12/17/04 at 7:12 am

I saw the banned version of Relax on VH1 as part of the X-rated movies section a couple of days ago. That song has at least 3 different videos . . .

VH1 classics is excellent because it is less cluttered with all those stupid logos in the corners. It's even better late night because they even cut out the title of the section on the top right.

I have only seen one video that has been clipped on VH1 classics (and I have seen a few as well - I don't have a life either lol) and that was 'Do they know it's Christmas time' by Band Aid II. Some will argue that's a good thing . . .  ;D

Written By: Howard on 12/17/04 at 8:10 pm

I really enjoy VH1 Classic for all of my oldies fix. ;D

Howard

Written By: Tanya1976 on 12/17/04 at 8:12 pm

I also love this channel, especially the 70s, We are the 80s, and Our Generation. Good shows!

Tanya

Written By: AL-B on 12/17/04 at 8:59 pm

Ever since I got digital cable a couple months back, I've been hooked on VH1 Classic.

Written By: woops on 12/17/04 at 11:18 pm

I would like it though.  8)  I've heard good comments about Fuse, which I don't know much about.

The same for Boomerang.  :D  Where's Looney Tunes, Scooby, Josie, Top Cat, Jetsons, Flinstones, Tom & Jerry, etc are now on...

Written By: AngeFaitore on 12/18/04 at 9:46 am

VH1 Classic, MTV Jams, VH1 Soul, VH1 Mega Hits and MTV Hits are now playing Christmas videos.
I saw a few videos that I haven't seen in a long, long time.

What I REALLY wish would happen is that VH1 Classic would pick up Pop Up Video and have one big Pop Up Video marathon.
Pop Up Video is where I discovered Thomas Dolby's 'She Blinded Me With Science'.

Written By: Bobby on 12/18/04 at 11:15 am

Pop Up Video is where I discovered Thomas Dolby's 'She Blinded Me With Science'.

Very clever video. If you can get hold of Thomas Dolby's 'Hyperactive' video that is just as brilliant.

Written By: AngeFaitore on 12/18/04 at 4:34 pm

Very clever video. If you can get hold of Thomas Dolby's 'Hyperactive' video that is just as brilliant.

I've seen it on VH1 Classic :)
Too bad his music wasn't well recieved over in the US, he's done some good stuff.
I found copies of both The Golden Age of Wireless and Retrospectacle (Sorry if I misspelled it). One of my favorite songs of his is 'Close But No Cigar'. 

Written By: Howard on 12/18/04 at 6:12 pm

VH1 Classic, MTV Jams, VH1 Soul, VH1 Mega Hits and MTV Hits are now playing Christmas videos.
I saw a few videos that I haven't seen in a long, long time.

What I REALLY wish would happen is that VH1 Classic would pick up Pop Up Video and have one big Pop Up Video marathon.

You ever watch VH1's Metal Mania on Classic sometimes? They got some good classic heavy metal videos.I agree that VH1 Classic is the best thing that ever came to TV. :)

Howard

Written By: RockandRollFan on 12/23/04 at 5:36 pm

One thing that pisses me off about the station though is when they play Super Seventies and try to pass off the "New" Lynyrd Skynyrd off as the original band ::)

Written By: Bobby on 12/24/04 at 3:39 pm

One thing that pisses me off about the station though is when they play Super Seventies and try to pass off the "New" Lynyrd Skynyrd off as the original band ::)

. . . And when Steve Winwood's 'Valerie' video comes on to the year 1982. I know that he released that song in 1987 (and probably released the video the same time too).

Written By: RockandRollFan on 12/24/04 at 5:45 pm

. . . And when Steve Winwood's 'Valerie' video comes on to the year 1982. I know that he released that song in 1987 (and probably released the video the same time too).
Okay...NOW you got me started, Bobby! They also show Fleetwood Mac and the song "Rhiannon"....they say it's from the '82 Mirage Tour but Lindsey Buckingham still has his huge afro...circa 1977. I also hate the commercial promos they do....they talk about the Bee Gees by saying that they burst on the scene during the Disco era....wrong. They gained popularity way before Disco.

Written By: Howard on 12/24/04 at 7:39 pm

Someone should come up with the idea of an MTV Classic. :)

Howard

Written By: woops on 12/24/04 at 7:49 pm

Someone should come up with the idea of an MTV Classic. :)

Howard

Good idea.

Unfortunately, there's a rumor (I don't know if it's true) that it might ake over VH1 Classic (with repeats of MTV shows) & get rid of the other Viacom owned music satellite networks...  >:(  :P

If there's a network that should be changed it's the original VH1 & MTV. Possibly MTV2.

With classic "Top 20 Countdown", "The State", "Sifl & Olly", "Unplugged", classic "Video Music Awards", "All Time Top 10", classic MTV specials, "Liquid Televsion", "Aeon Flux", "Daria" (uncut...unlike Noggin), "House of Style", classic MTV music video specials, interviews, etc.  :D  Not to mention music videos!!!   (along with those short bits that were shown between them)

And all the MTV reality shows could be sold to the reality network!!!

Written By: Howard on 12/24/04 at 7:56 pm

Good idea.

Unfortunately, there's a rumor (I don't know if it's true) that it might ake over VH1 Classic (with repeats of MTV shows) & get rid of the other Viacom owned music satellite networks...  >:(  :P

If there's a network that should be changed it's the original VH1 & MTV. Possibly MTV2.

With classic "Top 20 Countdown", "The State", "Sifl & Olly", "Unplugged", classic "Video Music Awards", "All Time Top 10", classic MTV specials, "Liquid Televsion", "Aeon Flux", "Daria" (uncut...unlike Noggin), "House of Style", classic MTV music video specials, interviews, etc.  :D  Not to mention music videos!!!   (along with those short bits that were shown between them)

And all the MTV reality shows could be sold to the reality network!!!

That's a good idea woops. ;)

Howard

Written By: Echo Nomad on 05/12/06 at 2:58 pm

Yeah, I have VH1C on Direct TV and really like it. I hope it doesn't get too popular or it's owners will start putting in new gameshows and reality TV.

Two other "purpose" channels that are\have been ruined this way include FX and Headline news. I never thought I'd say this, but I liked that fact that I could watch the entire news of the day in 30 minutes, 24 hours a day. Now it's being filled up with second string news shows who couldn't get on a real news channel.

Check for new replies or respond here...