inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Reality TV Losing Popularity

Written By: JFK-2004 on 12/17/04 at 6:10 pm

Finally, at long last, it appears that reality TV may be meeting its demise.  Many recent new shows in this genre have failed to garner needed ratings, and established ones like the Bachelor and The Apprentice have suffered declining ratings.  While I believe that some element of reality TV will remain on the air for years to come, the abundance of this garbage throughout the past couple years has been abhorrent. 

Subject: Re: Reality TV Losing Popularity

Written By: AngeFaitore on 12/17/04 at 6:17 pm

Think about it... this trend has been going on since the summer of 2000 with Survivor.
I remember before Survivor, most of the reality shows were those syndicated dating shows that replaced the hyped talk shows of the '90s most people ignored. 
The stupid reality show trend is almost five frelling years old, it's time to stop it and bring back GOOD sitcoms.

Written By: woops on 12/17/04 at 6:24 pm

The only good shows worth watching today are animated sitcoms. Ironically, one of my favorites parodies reality tv  (Drawn Together).  :D

Though some shows like American Idol & The Bachelor are still popular.  :P 

And VH1, TLC, A&E, E! also jumped on the whole trend...

Written By: AngeFaitore on 12/17/04 at 6:45 pm

It's funny that cable television started reality TV (Real World) and now it's pretty much the dumpster of reality shows.
Who will care about these shows in ten years? They'll be afterthoughts.

Written By: Bobby on 12/17/04 at 6:54 pm

I am not suprised that Reality TV is losing popularity. It takes a lot of commitment to watch (Big Brother being a big example) and the TV is saturated with it (Big Brother, I'm a celebrity, Kings of Comedy and that haidressing one which I forgotten the name of). When you flood the market with something, the value goes down.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/17/04 at 6:57 pm

Bring back scripted drama and decent comedy shows!  >:(

Written By: AngeFaitore on 12/17/04 at 7:00 pm

I am not suprised that Reality TV is losing popularity. It takes a lot of commitment to watch

So doesn't Dragonball Z.
I remember about two holiday seasons ago, I tried to watch the Buu Saga, but I gave up by the fifteenth episode of Goku and the fusion kids fighting Majin Buu.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/17/04 at 7:10 pm

So doesn't Dragonball Z.
I remember about two holiday seasons ago, I tried to watch the Buu Saga, but I gave up by the fifteenth episode of Goku and the fusion kids fighting Majin Buu.

Sorry to say this... Dragon Ball Z sucks dragon balls!  ;D

Written By: Howard on 12/17/04 at 7:51 pm

I read that The Swan,I think by the time you read this it will be gone.In my opinion,it was trash to see everyday women be transformed into bad nightmares. :P

Howard

Written By: Howard on 12/17/04 at 7:52 pm

Think about it... this trend has been going on since the summer of 2000 with Survivor.
I remember before Survivor, most of the reality shows were those syndicated dating shows that replaced the hyped talk shows of the '90s most people ignored. 
The stupid reality show trend is almost five frelling years old, it's time to stop it and bring back GOOD sitcoms.

you got that right.It's getting old and tired now. >:(

Howard

Written By: Tanya1976 on 12/17/04 at 8:08 pm

Thank god!

Tanya

Written By: Indy Gent on 12/17/04 at 8:10 pm

And this proves that there is One.  ;)
Thank god!

Tanya

Written By: Howard on 12/17/04 at 8:23 pm

I think The Biggest Loser should die.I don't want to see a bunch of fat shlumps who complain about losing weight every day. ::)

Howard

Written By: goodsin on 12/18/04 at 5:38 am

We're swamped with this sort of thing on UK TV, I call it Banality TV. The worst thing about these shows is the aftermath, i.e. people who wouldn't otherwise be famous suddenly thinking they're big stars, embarrassing themselves in public, proving how untalented they really are etc. :-pap pop 'artists'. I can't understand the mugs who support these shows by voting on their premium-rate phone lines- pay a fortune to vote for a pre-determined winner (normally the person the owner of the show has decided will make them the most money), then spend a further fortune keeping that person in the limelight by buying their records & merchandise. Time after time, these 'artists' only last as long as they're flavour of the month, or until the owner of whatever show they were on decides to promote the victors from their new show; end product, teenage girls (for it is they who are the largest voting group) spend a small fortune making someone 'famous for fifteen minutes', who then disappears, leaving only a couple of dodgy cover versions behind as their legacy, and the rest of us asking "so, why were they famous?". :P

Written By: goodsin on 12/18/04 at 8:14 am

Another rant- so-called 'reality' TV shows aren't anything to do with reality, generally. They should be called 'situation' TV shows, because most of their content consists of people being put in a manufactured situation very far removed from reality.
Something that troubles me about the 'talent' types of situation TV, is the way that the show's owners influence the outcome. On the UK show Pop Idol (owned by Simon Cowell, who also appears as one of the show's judges), a lady called Michelle McManus won. This lady was not your average pop star material, she had quite a weak voice & was of quite large build. She didn't stand a chance, until Simon Cowell started supporting her. She then duly won (strange, they never have independent people counting the votes on these shows) & failed miserably as a pop star. I think Cowell only got her elected to feed his (huge) ego, i.e. "I'm so great & all-powerful, I can get anyone I support elected, even if they don't stand a cat in hell's chance in the real world". A man of Cowell's wealth could easily take the financial 'hit' of one of his prodigies not making it, to prove a point- a point he seems to be making an increasing amount, as it now seems that every show he's involved in, he gets to 'decide' who wins. This goes back to my earlier point, that the people who pay money to vote on these things are mugs, as they're just paying to feed the producer's ego, rather than helping the most 'talented' person to success! Once the owners stop making so much money from these telephone votes, these fixed 'talent' shows may be replaced by some decent TV, but I don't hold out much hope whilst a gullible British public have access to telephones... ::) 

Written By: AngeFaitore on 12/18/04 at 9:38 am

Sorry to say this... Dragon Ball Z sucks dragon balls!  ;D

I kind of liked DBZ until Cartoon Network showed some big fighting saga that lasted 26 episodes.
Heck, I even have a DBZ T-shirt that I got at Spencer Gifts a long time ago. Still wear it because it's comfy. 

Written By: Howard on 12/18/04 at 6:21 pm

I wish someone would get rid of Fear Factor.  >:( What's next? people eating human body parts? :P

Howard

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/18/04 at 10:23 pm

I wish someone would get rid of Fear Factor.  >:( What's next? people eating human body parts? :P

Howard

Knowing Fear Factor..... ummmmmm... yeah!  ::)

Written By: AL-B on 12/19/04 at 3:13 am

Howard
Shhhh...don't give them any ideas!!!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 12/19/04 at 12:50 pm

Shhhh...don't give them any ideas!!!
;) ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/19/04 at 12:56 pm

Thank god!

Tanya

That was my reaction too!

Written By: Howard on 12/19/04 at 6:47 pm

They should also get rid of The Biggest Loser,Fear Factor,and that Family Swap.
But keep Extreme Makeover Home Edition.

Howard

Written By: Howard on 12/19/04 at 6:49 pm

Knowing Fear Factor..... ummmmmm... yeah!   ::)

maybe in the next couple of months. ;D

But,wouldn't they have to black out the human body parts if they had went along with it? :P

Howard

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/19/04 at 7:38 pm

maybe in the next couple of months. ;D

But,wouldn't they have to black out the human body parts if they had went along with it? :P

Howard

When that happens Hell will freeze over!  ::)

Written By: Howard on 12/19/04 at 7:41 pm

and bring Joe Rogan who's in charge of this garbage. :P

Howard

Check for new replies or respond here...