inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Dad Plays Scrooge On Ebay

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/24/04 at 6:34 pm

The man decided that his children were being naughty instead of nice -- and he's taught them a lesson by auctioning their presents on the popular auction site, eBay.

The man, who asked the Houston Chronicle not to reveal his name, decided to sell off the presents because the youngsters had misbehaved. His children are nine, eleven and 15.

"Three undeserving boys have crossed the line," the eBay listing says. "Tonight we sat down and showed them what they WILL NOT get for Christmas this year. I'll be taking down the tree tomorrow."

His auction posting continues, "This isn't a scare tactic for the kids. This is the result of bad choices that can't be undone. Neither can this."

You Said It 

The man is offering to sell three of the wireless video game systems as well as several games.

The bidding was up to $1,025 as the auction wound down.

"Your e-mails, good and bad, are much appreciated and will be put in a scrapbook for when the boys have their own children," the man writes to those seeing his listing. "Since this has become a bit of a Christmas soapbox, we would like everyone to think about what it says about (our) society and culture when good family values and accountability are taught and it becomes worldwide news."

"My last name is not Scrooge," he adds.

12-24-04 12:09 EST

Why did he NOT use another form of discipline (grounding,taking away priveleges,having the kids perform COMMUNITY SERVICE!)...IMHO...he is taking it to extremes here.

Subject: Re: Dad Plays Scrooge On Ebay

Written By: Jessica on 12/24/04 at 11:45 pm

I don't think it's extreme if they were being little b*stards. Did you see what he bought them? Three brand new Game Boy Advance DS systems...plus games. If they were being little hellions, they got what they deserve! However, if they did something minor, then yeah, this was probably a little over the top.

From the sound of it though, it sounds like they had it coming for a long while. :P

Written By: Dagwood on 12/25/04 at 6:52 pm

I say go dad.  Kids need to be taught what is appropraite behavior.  If you threaten to take away Christmas presents than you need to follow through, or it reinforces the bad behavior.  Christmas isn't about getting gifts, anyway.  Kids aren't entitled to them...if they don't deserve to get them then they shouldn't.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 12/25/04 at 11:11 pm

Sorry, but I smell a rat here!

The story doesn't sound right. Any parent in their right mind wouldn't go that far. They'd just return them and get their money back. I think this story is bogus.

Tanya

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/25/04 at 11:47 pm

:-by their multiple problems being on display for all to see...yes I got gifts but that did NOT make up for:

My family embarrassing me by boozing it up and generally acting like asinine fools in front of friends... ???

Mom and Dad inviting their fellow inebriates to Christmas dinner...who also raise hell.. ::)

My parents bickering over the DUMBEST things,like who's gonna take out the garbage,wrap the gifts,get the mail,blah blah blah...

Dad using Mom for a punching bag...one time breaking her ribs....

and I used to complain about the State removing me from that environment?

Written By: MotleyCrueFan'05 on 01/28/06 at 4:34 pm

Do parents have to go that far?

Written By: Peter on 01/28/06 at 4:49 pm

But then, whaterver happened to the guy who tried to aucton off his family on EBAY..do we hear if that was civil minded?

And out of how many Mom's in the US do we hear that just 'one' pulled the 'I'm on strike from my family' routine and where is she now???? ??? ???

a lot of those unanswered questions out there! 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/28/06 at 5:33 pm

I say good for him. I'm sorry but the kids will survive without video games. He is teaching them that games are a PRIVLIGE not a RIGHT!

Cat

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/28/06 at 9:40 pm

I think it was a rather creative way of punishment...apparantly all of the other punishment tactics did not work.....maybe next time the kids will think before they act like spoiled brats! ;)

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/29/06 at 7:58 pm

Honestly, it's not like those kids won't have another Christmas. Better they learn their lesson than possibly end up in juvenile custody..or jail when they get older.

Written By: Gis on 01/30/06 at 9:23 am

My Mum did something similar with my brother, she threatened him that if he didn't shape up she would throw his toys out in the trash. He didn't so she did ! It certainly got her point across !

I also remember when he had a game out on the floor of his room for nearly 3 weeks despite being told over and over to tidy it away.One morning she got so fed up she opened the bedroom window and tossed the whole lot out onto the front lawn !! 

Written By: Echo Nomad on 05/28/06 at 1:52 am

This is kinda like the occasional news bits I see about mothers striking against their families.

-As a father he did the right thing by taking away their toys if they were indeed were that bad.

-As a father he has no right to publicly humiliate and villiify his underage children to the world, just so he could get some attention. Every parent has had to punish and teach their children, that's the way of life. But now these children will not be able to live, learn, and go on because they will have to face this for the rest of their life. Imagine if every mistake and punishment for you growing up was permantly put on display for the world's entertainment. Hmm, does he videotape when his kids wet the bed and show it on the 5 o'clock news?

No, this is a private matter and if it's such a bad situation then let the law handle it. Airing normal "laundry" in public lke this is a ultimately a mark of shame on the father.

Written By: CuriousSeeker on 01/01/14 at 11:05 am

I know this is an OLD topic but I remember seeing it in the news when it was an item.

I suspect it was fake.

A little creative story to pique interest in his mysterious auction I think.

If not then I agree he was being overly Draconian.

Check for new replies or respond here...