inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Networks That Have Gone Down Hill (Besides MTV) in the 2000's (or the '90's)

Written By: woops on 12/24/04 at 6:42 pm

My top choices:

VH1, MTV2, Cartoon Network, Disney Channel, and Fox.  :P

Though I don't watch most of these networks, but I have heard that some have changed drastically over the years like F/X & Bravo.

Subject: Re: Networks That Have Gone Down Hill (Besides MTV) in the 2000's (or the '90's)

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/24/04 at 10:20 pm

Fox seems to have forgotten what kind of programming put their network on the map:
Actually FUNNY sitcoms like "Married...With Children"

reality shows that MATTER...like AMERICA's MOST WANTED

the coolest prime time cartoon in recent history...THE SIMPSONS

and

not all that crap like THE SWAN!!!
Parents..if you are leery of your kids seeing Al Bundy...or Bart Simpson....two words for you

V-Chip!

learn how to use it!

Subject: Re: Networks That Have Gone Down Hill (Besides MTV) in the 2000's (or the '90's)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/25/04 at 12:51 am

Don't forget Discovery.  Every time I scan past Discovery, it's those...those rednecks motorcycle guys on there.

Written By: AL-B on 12/25/04 at 1:24 am

Don't forget Discovery.  Every time I scan past Discovery, it's those...those rednecks motorcycle guys on there.

Yeah, but you have to admit...they build some cool stuff on there sometimes.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/25/04 at 10:18 am

Don't forget Discovery. Every time I scan past Discovery, it's those...those rednecks motorcycle guys on there.

Hey...not ALL motorcycle guys are rednecks...there was a famous BILLIONAIRE...Malcolm Forbes...who was a motorcycle nut.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 12/25/04 at 10:47 am

ESPN...too much POKER?

MTV....from good Rock/Pop..down to bad rap (An Oxymoron)...to shows...Hardly any music

MTV2 Hard Rock....then way down to thug rap...to, I have no idea, I don't even peek anymore...

Sci-Fi-They used to be much better.
=============================================================I  I would also add that UPN and WB, don't really belong on this list because they ALWAYS sucked!

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/25/04 at 11:42 am

ESPN - Is Poker really a sport!

Sci-Fi -  The movies from what I hear kind of suck.

MTV - Too much reality, not enough videos.

Fox - Enough with the reality shows!!!!!!!  >:(

A&E - It's more E than A now.

Written By: nally on 12/25/04 at 3:30 pm

Too many networks! I don't have time to list them all right now. I noticed that GSN (formerly known as Game Show Network) is not on the list, but it has gone downhill in the past year, with reality based programs and "celebrity blackjack" ::) ?? On the plus side, they still have a few good classic shows, like "Match Game" and "Family Feud", and most recently they added "Win Ben Stein's Money." ;)

Written By: Howard on 12/25/04 at 3:38 pm

Game Show Network
MTV
VH1
NBC

enough reality shows,selling sex,drugs,violence,young hot women,bling bling & hip-hop.TV has just gone downhill over the years. >:(

Howard

Written By: MetalHaed '04 on 12/25/04 at 4:10 pm

ESPN...too much POKER?

MTV....from good Rock/Pop..down to bad rap (An Oxymoron)...to shows...Hardly any music

MTV2 Hard Rock....then way down to thug rap...to, I have no idea, I don't even peek anymore...

Sci-Fi-They used to be much better.
=============================================================I  I would also add that UPN and WB, don't really belong on this list because they ALWAYS sucked!

:\'(

Disney Channel.....old Disney show and movies...to unoriginal made for TV movies and crap for pre-teens

Cartoon Network...used to show old Warner Bros. and Hanna-Barbera cartoons....now it is a wasteland of crap that shouldn't be aired. Adlut Swim is the only good thing on Cartoon Network.

Nickelodeon....It was fine until Sponge Bob made it go downhill

And don't forget the extinction of Saturday morning cartoons on ABC, CBS, and NBC

And Noggin...used to show PBS and Nick Jr. shows from the 70s and 80s....now shows crap that also comes on Nick Jr.

Written By: woops on 12/25/04 at 6:39 pm

Too many networks! I don't have time to list them all right now. I noticed that GSN (formerly known as Game Show Network)

it's listed (as "Game Show Network")

MTV2 is now mostly shows, less videos, and too many dumb specials... Not to forget "Sucker Free Sunday", a day of mostly rap... wich is funny since most of the videos I see during the dusk is rap and little rock/alternative  ::)  :P  What ever happened to the to diversed range of music videos of the last 20+ years they aired!!!

Atleast they air "Beavis & Butt-Head"  8)  :D

Though I strongly hate sports, I don't know why poker is on ESPN...  :P

And I actually miss classic cartoons on Disney & Cartoon Network!!!

Though there's a rumor that Boomerang might become a "toddler show network"... (Have to wait & see...)

Written By: nally on 12/26/04 at 12:35 am

it's listed (as "Game Show Network")

Oh...I didn't see it. Thanks. ;) They weren't in any particular order on the list.

And I actually miss classic cartoons on Disney & Cartoon Network!!!

I'm with you. :-\\ What's up with that?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/26/04 at 12:48 am

Hey...not ALL motorcycle guys are rednecks...there was a famous BILLIONAIRE...Malcolm Forbes...who was a motorcycle nut.

And if it was Malcolm Forbes and Howard Hughes on Discovery, I woulda said those BILLIONAIRE motorcycle guys....
:D

Written By: AngeFaitore on 12/27/04 at 8:06 pm

TLC (The Learning Channel). They used to show Beakman's World!!! Now all they show is Trading Spaces, baby shows and medical emergencies.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 12/27/04 at 10:33 pm

TV Land (What happened to the Sonny and Cher show?)
VH1 (too many reasons)
Sci-Fi Channel
Comedy Central (with the exception of Dave Chappelle, The Daily Show, and South Park is there a reason to watch)
Nick at Nite (stop showing shows that aren't classics yet!)

Tanya

Written By: Howard on 12/28/04 at 4:44 pm

NBC(Fear Factor) Could someone please get rid of that disgusting vile show and tell people to stop eating those animal parts? I wish Joe Rogan would take part in eating those dead animals.Someone should give him a taste of his own medicine. >:(

Howard

Written By: Tanya1976 on 12/28/04 at 6:38 pm

^I second that. Although, in parts of the world, they are not so disgusting.

Tanya

Written By: Kyle on 12/28/04 at 7:47 pm

Here are some more... 

Noggin:  From Bill Nye the Science Guy, A Walk in Your Shoes, and the Electric Company.... to all that crap that is on Nick Jr.  (Blue is still cool, though?)

Nickelodeon:  From Rocko's Moderns Life, Cat Dog, Angry Beavers, and Jimmy Neutron.... to Nick Jr, and that f^#*ken Spongebob.

Cartoon Network:  ...from classic Warner Bros. and Hanna-Barbara cartoons and  Ren and Stimpy, 2 Stupid Dogs, Beetlejuice to .... all that anime crap.

Disney: Where are the Weekenders?  >:( ???

MTV ... really going south!  Probably gonna go off the air pretty soon!

Fox News:  ...from everyday news ....  to The War on Iraq

Comedy Central ... only  Blue Collar rules!

CBS,NBC, ABC, Fox, and UPN  ....from good 'ol fashioned sitcoms, movies, drama, etc.  ...to reality shows and unreliable news.

Written By: woops on 12/28/04 at 8:43 pm

I might also ass "Toon Disney"... too much current toon garbage & no classic Disney shorts

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/28/04 at 9:46 pm

NBC(Fear Factor) Could someone please get rid of that disgusting vile show and tell people to stop eating those animal parts? I wish Joe Rogan would take part in eating those dead animals.Someone should give him a taste of his own medicine. >:(

Howard

I am going to give a high five to Howard!  ;D

Written By: nally on 12/28/04 at 10:24 pm

Howard

^I second that. Although, in parts of the world, they are not so disgusting.

Tanya

I third that. ::)

Written By: Rio_Rhodes on 12/29/04 at 2:46 am

MTV2, Nickelodeon, and the WB.

MTV2 used to be good, now its just another MTV clone, all they play now are shows (which I believe MTV stated would not happen), rap videos, and crappy rock videos....I mean, come on. If I wanted to watch that stuff, I'd watch MTV.

Rio

Written By: eightiesfan on 12/29/04 at 7:27 am

I picked Game Show Network (who now prefer to be called GSN) for putting on too many reality shows, plus they took my favorite classic, Pyramid, off the air this past year.

I also picked AMC because they started airing commercials in recent years - so now I usually watch Turner Classic Movies.

Written By: Howard on 12/29/04 at 5:19 pm

UPN 9 not as great as it used to be but they're trying.
NBC (Fear Factor,The Swan,The Biggest Fat Loser) >:(

Howard

Written By: nally on 12/29/04 at 8:04 pm

I picked Game Show Network (who now prefer to be called GSN) for putting on too many reality shows, plus they took my favorite classic, Pyramid, off the air this past year.

I'm with you; I liked the Pyramid! It was one of my favorite game shows as a child in the 80s; seeing those reruns on GSN from 2001-03 brought back memories for me. They also got rid of Win, Lose, or Draw (another 80's game show I liked). They still have the old black-and-white game shows on at midnight (which my parents enjoy watching).

Written By: woops on 12/29/04 at 8:06 pm

MTV2, Nickelodeon, and the WB.

MTV2 used to be good... crappy rock videos....I mean, come on. If I wanted to watch that stuff, I'd watch MTV.

Rio

Not all are bad like The White Stripes, Jet, and Franz Fernidand, IMO.

I also picked AMC because they started airing commercials in recent years - so now I usually watch Turner Classic Movies.

I like the fact TCM added "Cartoon Alley", which showcases classic Warner Bros. & MGM toons, uncut!!!. Though it only airs on the first Saturday of every month. Atleast it's more than the zero hours of classic animation on Cartoon Network today.  :)

Written By: Kyle on 12/30/04 at 6:24 pm

I  I would also add that UPN and WB, don't really belong on this list because they ALWAYS sucked!

I disagree with you, because some of these networks, espesically the WB has some very good shows!  Like Git'er Dun and Pokemon.  Gotta catch 'em all.  ;)

Written By: nally on 12/30/04 at 11:46 pm

I like the fact TCM added "Cartoon Alley", which showcases classic Warner Bros. & MGM toons, uncut!!!. Though it only airs on the first Saturday of every month. Atleast it's more than the zero hours of classic animation on Cartoon Network today.  :)

I gotta catch that sometime...but not this Saturday since it's New Year's Day and I plan on taping the Rose Parade.

The only "classic" animation that Cartoon Network has anymore is Tom and Jerry, which gets boring after awhile. (Unless they took that away too.)

Written By: tv on 12/31/04 at 1:11 am

ABC has gotten terrible. It used to be like TGIF and funny Family shows like "Grace Under Fire" and "Home Improvement". Now its like run of the mill stuff all the time. Even in the latter 90's they had "The Practice" before the writing of the show got too crazy and "NYPD Blue" when Jimmy Smits was still on there.

VH1 sucks now. Its all about who's the best dressed and all this other stuff. Give me a break with Jennifer Lopez's or Britney Spears's best moments. Come on now. I used to like VH1 from 1999-2001 because MTV really got horrible after 1998 in my opinion.

MTV 2 stinks now as well. They play what MTV plays.

Music Television is supposed to play music video's not who's the best looking.

Written By: woops on 01/14/05 at 3:08 pm

Now the TV Guide Channel for having Joan & Melissa Rivers.  :P

Written By: Chrisrj on 01/15/05 at 2:02 am

MTV2 used to show more rock, and a dance megamix program every now and then(the only refuge for it on US TV I think, even though I'm the only one who likes it apparently), but those have been replaced by hip-hop. >:(

I also chose Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network, Disney Channel, and one other I forgot...  I also feel terribly for Toon Disney.  They used to play the good stuff, now they're trying too hard to attract today's younger generation.

I just have to say this:

POWER RANGERS DO NOT BELONG ON AN ALL-CARTOON NETWORK!

Written By: Kass on 01/15/05 at 9:05 am

I agree.  I DESPISE those motorcylce guys on the Discovery channell.  They are ALWAYS on. 

Written By: nally on 01/15/05 at 12:39 pm

I also feel terribly for Toon Disney. They used to play the good stuff, now they're trying too hard to attract today's younger generation.

I just have to say this:

POWER RANGERS DO NOT BELONG ON AN ALL-CARTOON NETWORK!

I'm with you. I loved watching the "good stuff" which was part of the "Disney Afternoon" of the early 90's. You are so right about Power Rangers; they are NOT a cartoon.

Written By: MotleyCrueFan'05 on 08/22/05 at 1:05 pm

Travel Channel with its poker shows
Cartoon Network showing crap that should not even be aired and classic cartoons are nowhere to be found.
Disney and Nick have also gone south in recent years
Saturday morning cartoon lineups also suck.

Written By: woops on 08/22/05 at 4:09 pm

Read on a VH1 Classic board on the VH1 site and noticed there's many people p'd off from the all weekend Woodstock & D!ck Cavette Show  marathon, which was repeated to the ground.

Better think again when I get digital cable...  :P  ::)  :-X

Written By: MotleyCrueFan'05 on 01/30/06 at 7:15 pm

??? Here are the networks that made my hit list because they went downhill

1. VH1: An E! clone
2. Cartoon Network: Mindless crap, classic cartoons are NOWHERE to be found, and live action movies are now being aired.
3. TLC: They are always showing that Trading Spaces crap
4. Bravo: Too much reality
5. Spike TV: This went downhill after the name change from the "New TNN" which used to be TNN (The Nashville Network) which went through a format change in 2000
6. MTV: Too much garbage
7. MTV 2: same as MTV
8. Nickelodeon: An MTV for younger kids showing mindless crap
9. Disney Channel: Non-Disney programming
10. Discovery: Always showing motorcycle shows
11. Travel Channel: Started showing National Geographic-style tribal shows
12. ESPN: Poker IS NOT a sport
13. Noggin: a nickelodeon clone
14. ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC: Too much reality shows crappy sitcoms, and crappy Saturday morning lineups
15. OLN (outdoor life network): Started showing survivor
16. AMC: Started showing movies that came out 5 years ago that ARE NOT EVEN classics yet

I wish these networks would go back to what they used to be.

Written By: nally on 02/02/06 at 5:39 pm

^ I'm with you on most of the ones you listed above. Especially #12...poker is NOT a sport. A sport involves physical athletic activity; when you play poker, all you do is sit around a table!

I already mentioned GSN (formerly known as Game Show Netowrk)... I think "GSN" really stands for "Getting Strange Network" because they're showing at least one or two shows that aren't even game shows. Recently they launched a documentary called "Anything To Win"... about people who refuse to accept defeat. Dumb, da dumb, dumb, DUMB! >:(

Written By: rich1981 on 02/03/06 at 1:28 am

I don't know if you remember when GSN used to air class The Price is Right episodes (from the 70's and 80's) which has been gone for several years now which is a shame since I really wished I could tape these.

Written By: woops on 02/03/06 at 3:19 am

"House of Mouse" nolongers air on Disney Channel ...since that show was the only program that's true to Disney, it's now basically a tween/young teen version of MTV

Their classic cartoons had gone off rotation since 2002, when it was only shown on "Vault Disney"...

"The Suite Life of Zack and Cody" is fairly OK, but that could've fit well with Nickelodeon... Oh wait, they mostly air original cartoons and a few sitcoms...no more older cartoons, game shows, etc.

Heard that Boomerang is removing Looney Tunes, which is also unfortunate since they're now only available on DVD, same for classic Disney cartoons. Which the future generation probably would more likely to have never watched those cartoons.

Written By: nally on 05/07/07 at 12:41 pm

I don't know if you remember when GSN used to air classic The Price is Right episodes (from the 70's and 80's) which has been gone for several years now which is a shame since I really wished I could tape these.

Must've been long before I ever got GSN (mid-2001). I don't ever remember them showing it. Would be nice if they did, lol.

Written By: Haynsoul on 05/08/07 at 12:56 am

Nickelodeon - Changed their original programs and Nicktoons like Rocko's Modern Life and Are You Afraid of the Dark? into superficial crap shows and Spongebob...

VH1 - List shows (20 most awesomely bad, blah blah blah) and shows that make fun of how poor us normal people are. -___-

Comedy Central - Showing signs of going downhill by keeping awful crap like Mind of Mencia on the air.

Disney - Only channel that still makes sitcoms yet the sitcoms aren't good at all.  :-\\ Also spawned the monstrosity known as "High School Musical".

Written By: whistledog on 05/08/07 at 1:31 am

NBC has gone way downhill.  They have the lowest raitings and it's no wonder why.  They axed most of their sitcoms to make way for much cheaper, unscripted reality shows.  Just cause it's cheap, doesn't mean it's good.  Bring back sitcoms and get rid of all these damn reality shows >:(

I am glad CBS still airs sitcoms, and they have lots of good ones (The Class, Two and a Half Men, How I Met Your Mother, etc ..)

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 05/08/07 at 2:00 am

Down here all 5 of them have gone down the crapper. I stick to downloading episodes of my favourite shows, sometimes 6-12 months in advance. All the good shows usually last in primetime for up to 6 weeks, then are taken off for up to 6 months, then put on Saturday night or maybe 11pm or some hour that no one watches TV. Whilst other junk such as survivor and america's next top model get the best timeslots and are never moved or canned.

Screw TV I say.

Written By: nally on 05/08/07 at 10:58 am

NBC has gone way downhill.  They have the lowest raitings and it's no wonder why.  They axed most of their sitcoms to make way for much cheaper, unscripted reality shows.  Just cause it's cheap, doesn't mean it's good.  Bring back sitcoms and get rid of all these damn reality shows >:(

I am glad CBS still airs sitcoms, and they have lots of good ones (The Class, Two and a Half Men, How I Met Your Mother, etc ..)

Ditto on the reality shows bit. As for CBS, I'm glad they still have some good sitcoms on the air... and I sure hope they renew "The Class" for a second season; I really liked that show. I'm sure everyone who viewed the season 1 finale is dying to know what'll happen next for the main characters.

Written By: nally on 06/20/08 at 3:22 pm

Ditto on the reality shows bit. As for CBS, I'm glad they still have some good sitcoms on the air... and I sure hope they renew "The Class" for a second season; I really liked that show. I'm sure everyone who viewed the season 1 finale is dying to know what'll happen next for the main characters.

...and a year ago, they canned it. :-[ :( :\'( What a shame!

Lately, it seems that everytime there's a new show on the air that I show a liking for, the show doesn't even last a full season.

Written By: sonikuu on 06/20/08 at 3:47 pm

- Nickelodeon: This topic has been discussed to death and I really don't want to discuss it anymore.  Avatar is amazing (a cartoon with continuity and some seriousness!  A rare occurrence.), but the rest sucks.
- VH1: "Celebreality" ruined the network
- Discovery Channel: I fail to see how a show about motorcycles relates to the Discovery Channel
- History Channel: They jumped on the reality tv bandwagon with Ice Road Truckers and, while sometimes interesting, they also air shows about the future, which isn't exactly history
- Disney: Went downhill fairly early in the decade.  Was already sucking before High School Musical and Hannah Montana.
- MTV: Actually they went downhill in the late 90s
- MTV2: Used to actually be pretty good, but is now literally a second version of MTV, meaning that it sucks
- TV Land: Showing signs of downhill decline by also jumping on the reality tv bandwagon
- TLC: I can't remember the last time I honestly learned anything from this channel
- Travel Channel: They air poker now.  Enough said.
- Cartoon Network: The most tragic decline for me.  I absolutely loved Cartoon Network during the first half of the decade and viewed it as one of the last channels to still air stuff that was consistently good.  From the golden age of Toonami and Adult Swim to the continuation of great 90s shows like Johnny Bravo and Dexter's Laboratory, CN was one of the last genuinely good channels of the 00s.  Unfortunately, CN started airing live action (which doesn't belong on CARTOON Network!), crappier shows, Toonami got the shaft, and the quality of Adult Swim also declined (though they are the best thing on CN now, they are past their peak when they start airing utter crap like Assy McGhee).

Somone earlier also mentioned Toon Disney.  I love Toon Disney.  Toon Disney and the Nicktoons Network are the only networks left that regularly air cartoons from the 90s.  Toon Disney plays the old Disney stuff in the morning (when everyones at work or school) as well as non-Disney classics like Pinky and the Brain and Batman: The Animated Series.  They might not always get the best time slots (poor Gargoyles is stuck with a time slot at like 3:00 AM), but at least they air them.

Written By: tv on 06/21/08 at 10:49 am

Fox seems to have forgotten what kind of programming put their network on the map:
Actually FUNNY sitcoms like "Married...With Children"

reality shows that MATTER...like AMERICA's MOST WANTED

the coolest prime time cartoon in recent history...THE SIMPSONS

and

not all that crap like THE SWAN!!!
Parents..if you are leery of your kids seeing Al Bundy...or Bart Simpson....two words for you

V-Chip!

learn how to use it!
Ah, Fox has "House" which is cool. I haven;t seen "Bones" in its entirety yet though.

Written By: nally on 06/25/08 at 11:54 am

Somone earlier also mentioned Toon Disney.  I love Toon Disney.  Toon Disney and the Nicktoons Network are the only networks left that regularly air cartoons from the 90s.  Toon Disney plays the old Disney stuff in the morning (when everyones at work or school) as well as non-Disney classics like Pinky and the Brain and Batman: The Animated Series.  They might not always get the best time slots (poor Gargoyles is stuck with a time slot at like 3:00 AM), but at least they air them.

That is true...but they don't seem to air most of the old classic disney cartoon shows very much (that is, for a good part of the day...like they used to from 2001 until about 2003 or 04). :-\\ And by that I'm talking about shows like "DuckTales", "TaleSpin", "Chip & Dale's Rescue Rangers"...shows I remember from the 'Disney Afternoon' of the early 90's. Maybe they're on sporadically (ie, once in a while), but not the way they used to be. :( Also, they've recently started showing Power Rangers, which is live-action, not animated.

Written By: Brian06 on 06/25/08 at 4:05 pm

MTV is irrelevant in the digital age, on demand music videos are available everywhere (on MTVs very own website as well...). Everything you need is right on the internet.

Check for new replies or respond here...