inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 8.9 Earthquake destroys Indonesia

Written By: Jessica on 12/26/04 at 12:32 pm

This is terrible. :(

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/asiapcf/12/26/asia.quake/index.html

Subject: Re: 8.9 Earthquake destroys Indonesia

Written By: RockandRollFan on 12/26/04 at 12:40 pm

This is terrible. :(

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/asiapcf/12/26/asia.quake/index.html
Horrible :\'(

Written By: Dagwood on 12/26/04 at 3:44 pm

My prayers are with them.  Incredibly sad.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/26/04 at 4:33 pm

That doesn't sound good.  :\'(

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/26/04 at 6:55 pm

Its not just Indonesia.  I know somebody whose father built a hotel on Patong Harbor in Thailand and sold it a couple of years ago.

She reports that the entire place simply does not exist any more.  Fortunately her Dad and sisters are fine.

Last I read 11,000 people confirmed dead so far.  :\'(

Written By: Dagwood on 12/26/04 at 7:17 pm

She reports that the entire place simply does not exist any more. Fortunately her Dad and sisters are fine.

Wow, that is hard to fathom.  I am glad they are ok.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/26/04 at 11:57 pm

There was a whole series of horrible tsunamis and quakes that hit the south Pacific in a 72-hour period.  They ranged from Tasmania to Thailand.  I thought it might be the start of Armageddon!
The death toll is sure to rise.
:o :\'(

Written By: mandamoo on 12/27/04 at 12:48 am

There was a whole series of horrible tsunamis and quakes that hit the south Pacific in a 72-hour period. They ranged from Tasmania to Thailand. I thought it might be the start of Armageddon!

At least 12,600 people dead so far... :\'(

Written By: nally on 12/27/04 at 1:03 am

That's terrible. :(

Written By: BMG on Holidays on 12/27/04 at 4:21 am

There was a whole series of horrible tsunamis and quakes that hit the south Pacific in a 72-hour period.  They ranged from Tasmania to Thailand.  I thought it might be the start of Armageddon!

Hey gang - BrianMannixGirl on holidays in Sydney and too lazy to log in !~!

Just had to add some corrections here.

The tasmanians quake of 8.1 was last week. Tassie is not in the South Pacific.  There was no tsunami from it because the tectonic plates moved sideways rather than up and down as in the case of yesterdays quake.

Yesterdays quake - in the INDIAN (not Pacific) Ocean (ie off the coast of Perth) which was recorded at 9 on the richter scale - and occured at 10am Monday (Perth time) - has caused significant damange to the islands of Maldives, Indonesia, Sri Lanka, India was hit on both east and west coasts, Somalia in Africa was hit, Thailands resorts severely hit. 
West coast of Australia (Perth and the coastal towns) felt major tremors up and down the coast and had very high tide warnings. There are uncountable islands in the vicinity that wont get named in news reports due to their small size - but they are basically devestated.

Perth is already making provisions for uncountable refugees that will start making their way down from the area.

Latest advice seconds ago is Sri Lankas death toll now at 10,000 and total death toll around 20,000.  5500 Australians currently holidaying in Thailand so I am sure we will hear of the missing in the near future. So far only definate Aussie deaths recorded are a 6 month old girl who was swept away from her fathers arms and a man.  As yet I havent heard from my friend who is holidaying in Phuket with her hubby and two babies.

Written By: BMG on holidays on 12/27/04 at 4:33 am

oops meant Sunday - not Monday - am on holidays and have lost track of my days !

Written By: Jessica on 12/27/04 at 12:20 pm

I stayed up late last night watching the international news, which is always more informative than the cr*p CNN shows. It was devastating to see. My heart ached for the victims. Once the storm dies down outside, I'm probably going to see what the Red Cross needs help with.

Written By: Bobby on 12/27/04 at 12:39 pm

Yep! Really awful.

It just goes to show how easy a natural disaster can rock the world.

Written By: Marian on 12/27/04 at 2:53 pm

:oI read David Hasslehoff has been missing.Anyone know about this?

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/27/04 at 5:08 pm

This all reminds me of an old friend of my father's, who was an architect specializing i earthquake-resistant structures.

When the Alaskan earthquake hit, he bragged to his boss that of the few buildings that remained standing, most of them were ones that he had designed.

His boss replied: "Well, that's what we paid you to do.  What do you want, a medal?".  ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/27/04 at 5:34 pm

Just the images they're showing on CNN are ghastly as h*ll and you know they don't broadcast the worst of them.  Bodies floating on the surf, bodies washed up on the beach, bodies laid side by side in makeshif mortuaries, people carrying the bodies of their dead children...bodies everywhere.
The dying has just begun.  Next infection, sickness, exposure, hunger, and exhaustion set in.  On the news they kept talking to all these British toffs from Oxford and Tunbridge Wells vacationing at the posh resorts in Thailand and the Maldives.  Sure, they're shocked and horrified, but they're the lucky ones.  They got to be in high rise hotels and escape the seawave.  Soon they'll be back in their tidy British homes, snug and secure. 
Actually, some of the "five-star lodging" the described in the Maldives were only souped-up bungaloes on sticks.  I guess if you thought there would be a tsunami, you wouldn't reserve a joint like that in the first place.

Written By: Bobby on 12/27/04 at 7:02 pm

The dying has just begun.  Next infection, sickness, exposure, hunger, and exhaustion set in.  On the news they kept talking to all these British toffs from Oxford and Tunbridge Wells vacationing at the posh resorts in Thailand and the Maldives.  Sure, they're shocked and horrified, but they're the lucky ones.  They got to be in high rise hotels and escape the seawave.  Soon they'll be back in their tidy British homes, snug and secure. 

I agree. But it's still nice to see people survive such a thing.

Written By: nally on 12/28/04 at 12:49 am

According to what I've heard on the news, the death toll has exceeded 14,000. :\'(

Written By: jaytee on 12/28/04 at 6:48 am

Latest report is 28,500 (they say that's a conservative figure).  Our neighbours are desperately waiting for a good friend to contact them.  He was holidaying in Phuket.  His family has heard nothing so far. :(

Written By: Dagwood on 12/28/04 at 7:16 am

I just heard that the death toll was up to 40,000. :(

Written By: neebs25 on 12/28/04 at 12:45 pm

I will be going home today and finding clothing/blankets, canned food to donate. Very sad.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/28/04 at 2:24 pm

I will be going home today and finding clothing/blankets, canned food to donate. Very sad.

And may God bless you!
:)

The news is now saying the death toll has exceeded 50,000.  I could see this carnage coming just as it happened!

Written By: Dagwood on 12/28/04 at 7:52 pm

The local agencies (red cross, etc) are asking for cash donations in lieu of blankets, etc.  They say that besides being cheaper to send to their counterparts in that part of the country, they can buy the stuff from that area and help to stimulate their economy.

They are also saying if you do donate cash be careful...there are already leeches out there falsely collecting to help Thailand, etc.  I am going to send cash, but only to the Red Cross.  At least then I don't have to worry about some crook keeping the money for himself.  I can't give much, but what I do give I want to help.

Written By: Marian on 12/28/04 at 8:39 pm

Just the images they're showing on CNN are ghastly as h*ll and you know they don't broadcast the worst of them.  Bodies floating on the surf, bodies washed up on the beach, bodies laid side by side in makeshif mortuaries, people carrying the bodies of their dead children...bodies everywhere.
Actually, some of the "five-star lodging" the described in the Maldives were only souped-up bungaloes on sticks.  I guess if you thought there would be a tsunami, you wouldn't reserve a joint like that in the first place.
:oI just saw an interview with an Austrian tourist who survived.He described how really nice the coast was with all the bungalos,which are all gone.There was a dead woman covered in a blanket,which the tourist said was trapped in her house;he was pulling out as many people he could .The reporter commented that the smell was indescribable.

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 12/28/04 at 11:34 pm

A lot of tourists that were in the path of the tsunami survived.  Not all of them, but A LOT of them.  Makes me wonder what they were doing different from the rest of the 60,000+ native peoples from those countries.  And yes, unfortunately the death count is up to 60,000+ when combining all the affected countries.

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 12/29/04 at 12:56 am

On the news they kept talking to all these British toffs from Oxford and Tunbridge Wells vacationing at the posh resorts in Thailand and the Maldives.  Sure, they're shocked and horrified, but they're the lucky ones.  They got to be in high rise hotels and escape the seawave.  Soon they'll be back in their tidy British homes, snug and secure. 

I am going to try and say this without being "snippy".  Its quite obvious from your comments that you have never been to any of these areas so I will forgive the fact that you are assuming a lot.
The "British toffs" and all the other tourists were not "lucky to be in high rise hotels".  The building code in these islands forbids any structure being taller than the palm trees.

At most the tallest hotels on the coast of Thailand and Indonesia are 3 and 4 storeys.  The water went up to the 3rd storey of most hotels.

No one was "lucky".  Survivors are traumatised at what they have experienced and had to witness and deal with. 

Have you ever had to wander thru a field of bodies - rotting water bloated corpses-  lifting the covers and trying to recognise a loved one ?  I havent - and I wouldnt wish it on anyone - be they a resident of a third world nation or a visitor. Dont belittle someones survival just because of where they are from.

Every nation is affected here. Everyone will have a friend they now who has lost someone.

I wont know which of my co workers have lived till I return to work on the 4th - unless I happen to see their smiling faces on the news between now and then.

We are talking about nations just a 3 hour flight from Perth.  Where Perth and all other West Australian residents, holiday throughout the year because it is far closer than places like Sydney to fly to.

Over 7000 Australians were in Phuket alone - no numbers yet on how many were in the other areas.

A lot of tourists that were in the path of the tsunami survived.  Not all of them, but A LOT of them.  Makes me wonder what they were doing different from the rest of the 60,000+ native peoples from those countries.

On the coast of Sri Lanka and India parents sent their children out to collect the fish laying in the sands - they had no idea this "gift from the sea" was in fact the roll back of the tidal wave.  Consequently over a third of the death toll there were children - most of whom couldnt swim when the wave arrived.  1500 alone were killed in a nearby train that was washed off its tracks.

In Aceh, Indonesia, Phuket etc, people were still in bed or lazing on the beach.  One girl I saw interviewed said she didnt even hear the wave coming up behind her. She was flung into a tree where she remained for hours. She has found none of her friends who were next to her. Those still alseep found themselves in rooms that were barricaded by furniture and muddy water - the water pressure making them unable to get doors or windows open. In one Thai hotel they have found 700 bodies in their hotel rooms.

Due to the early morning hours - many residents were already out on the streets plying their trades - they were washed away.

Some Aussies were actually out scuba diving at the time - amazing they all lived but for one.  I cant imagine what it would have been like out in the water.

Now - my real beef for the day - Aussie goverment has so far organised $35 million in immediate aid - we are a nation of 20 million people.  The US - with what - 300 mil population - has only donated the same amount !  Not aiming this at you guys obviously - you are not your government. But tell George- send more $$$$$
And these figures obviously do not include the worldwide donations being made to red cross, unicef etc etc - thats a whole separate thing.

Our agencies are not just collecting money - perhaps becase our army is flying full planes of stuff by the hour - whereas cash from further away is more logical. We are doing collections for blankets, clothes, hygeine products, water, purification tablets, malaria pills, medical supplies etc etc. All very similar to what we did during the Bali Bombings.

As with Bali tho - the most important thing to remember in the future - these nations rely very heavily on tourism.  As soon as they are capable to recieve tourists again - the tourists MUST make their way back.  Thats how Bali has been able to survive the past few years since the bombings.

Interesting - as I was typing this - my friend was reading news out to me and he just read that the 9.1 richter actually knocked the earth off its axis "momentarily". The actual tectonic plates have completely shifted the location of islands by 30 metres.
I dont think I want to know how long "momentarily" is - but far out - imagine what would happen to our little planet if several of these quakes shifted at the same time.

Doesnt bear thinking about.

Written By: Indy Gent on 12/29/04 at 12:43 pm

The fact that a castrophy like this one could devastate an half a continent is too upsetting to even fathom. I pray for the families of Indonesia and abroad: the dead as well as the survivors, especially the younger ones that are more prone to viruses and fatal diseases.  :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'(

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/29/04 at 4:49 pm

I am going to try and say this without being "snippy".  Its quite obvious from your comments that you have never been to any of these areas so I will forgive the fact that you are assuming a lot.
The "British toffs" and all the other tourists were not "lucky to be in high rise hotels".  The building code in these islands forbids any structure being taller than the palm trees.

At most the tallest hotels on the coast of Thailand and Indonesia are 3 and 4 storeys.  The water went up to the 3rd storey of most hotels.

No one was "lucky".  Survivors are traumatised at what they have experienced and had to witness and deal with. 

Have you ever had to wander thru a field of bodies - rotting water bloated corpses-  lifting the covers and trying to recognise a loved one ?  I havent - and I wouldnt wish it on anyone - be they a resident of a third world nation or a visitor. Dont belittle someones survival just because of where they are from.

Every nation is affected here. Everyone will have a friend they now who has lost someone.

I do apologise for displaying insensitivity, and a bit of ignorance on these matters.  There I go, shooting my mouth off again!
:-\\

Written By: saver on 12/29/04 at 4:53 pm

IT'S MY ANNUAL "WHEN BIG EVENTS HAPPEN"....DIALOGUE:

WHERE WAS SYLVIA BROWN WHEN THIS WAS COMING DOWN THE PIKE????!!!!!!

Sure she can talk to aliens, I guess they wouldn't tell her what was down the road or how to save 100,000 people...

NOW do you believe in PSYCHICS????

No one has successfully met the chalenge!!

Written By: Satish on 12/29/04 at 11:08 pm

They say the death toll might exceed 100 000, and starvation and disease could double it. This has got to be the worst natural disaster I've ever seen.

I was born in Sri Lanka, and that was one of the worst hit places. I don't live there anymore, and most of my family moved away as well. But I was still worried about my aunt and grandparents. Luckily, they're ok. They don't live in any of the affected areas.

Written By: fragswife on 12/29/04 at 11:49 pm

My thoughts go out to all the survivors, and families of those who haven't survived.

I have friends who are in the area, and haven't heard yet if they're ok.

I do apologise for displaying insensitivity, and a bit of ignorance on these matters. There I go, shooting my mouth off again!
:-\\

You were just giving your honest thoughts...  nothing wrong with that!  It's good to learn the facts though.

:-) fw

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/30/04 at 6:15 am

Now - my real beef for the day - Aussie goverment has so far organised $35 million in immediate aid - we are a nation of 20 million people.  The US - with what - 300 mil population - has only donated the same amount !  Not aiming this at you guys obviously - you are not your government. But tell George- send more $$$$$
And these figures obviously do not include the worldwide donations being made to red cross, unicef etc etc - thats a whole separate thing.

My beef for the day?  The government of the United States of America provided last year 40% of the total government-sponsored international disaster aid delivered globally. 

And some people want to claim that the US government is being cheap.

Written By: Dagwood on 12/30/04 at 7:22 am

Same here, Lyricboy. 

Written By: Mona on 12/30/04 at 7:58 am

IT'S MY ANNUAL "WHEN BIG EVENTS HAPPEN"....DIALOGUE:

WHERE WAS SYLVIA BROWN WHEN THIS WAS COMING DOWN THE PIKE????!!!!!!

If there are psychics, why are there any unsolved murder cases, why are children missing?

Written By: Mona on 12/30/04 at 8:16 am

President Bush said the United States, India, Australia and Japan have formed an international coalition to coordinate worldwide relief and reconstruction efforts. He pledged a multifaceted response that goes far beyond the initial U.S. pledge of $35 million, including military manpower and damage surveillance teams in the short term and long-term rebuilding assistance.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/30/04 at 3:26 pm

My beef for the day?  The government of the United States of America provided last year 40% of the total government-sponsored international disaster aid delivered globally. 

And some people want to claim that the US government is being cheap.

Sheesh!  Just ignore 'em if you don't like what they say.  Be grateful YOU weren't on the business end of the tsunami and smile a bit!
::)

It seems like every hour there's a macabre update another three thousand, another ten thousand dead! This may turn out to be the worst natural disaster in my lifetime!

Written By: Bobby on 12/30/04 at 5:25 pm

It seems like every hour there's a macabre update another three thousand, another ten thousand dead! This may turn out to be the worst natural disaster in my lifetime!

We have no idea what is around the corner.  :-\\

Written By: saver on 12/30/04 at 5:45 pm

How about China or Russia giving any $$$ anyone know if they did?

Isn't that nice how the world doesn't like what we have to say about things BUT THEY SURE LIKE OUR GREEN $$$$$!

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/30/04 at 5:58 pm

Max, depends on when you were born.  back on 7-28-1976 there was an earthquake in Red China that killed 242,000 Chinese.

The Communist government was so paranoid they put a lid on the whole story.  :-X

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/31/04 at 12:40 am

Max, depends on when you were born. 
That's why I said my life, not everybody's life.
::)
back on 7-28-1976 there was an earthquake in Red China that killed 242,000 Chinese.
Ah, yes, the China quake of '76.  I heard about it later, though I was a lad of seven in the summer of '76.  Actually, the first natural catrastrophe I remember hearing a lot about was the Bengaledesh famines of the '70s.  IIRC, these were the results of many typhoons and floods.  However, we're only a few days out from these Tsunamis, so there's plenty of time for the death toll to surpass 250 thou. 

The Communist government was so paranoid they put a lid on the whole story.  :-X
Ha! Typical commie B.S!  Chairman Mao croaked about a month earlier, didn't he?

SATISH wrote
They say the death toll might exceed 100 000
Well, guess what...
:o

Written By: Bobby on 12/31/04 at 10:00 am

How about China or Russia giving any $$$ anyone know if they did?

Isn't that nice how the world doesn't like what we have to say about things BUT THEY SURE LIKE OUR GREEN $$$$$!

The rest of the world have no scruples, do they Saver?  ;D

Written By: Lazy Jessica on 12/31/04 at 1:25 pm

The US just upped their donation to $350 million dollars. Maybe now Egeland from the UN will shut the hell up. :P

Written By: Dagwood on 12/31/04 at 2:09 pm

No doubt, Jessica.  I am getting sick of hearing how stingy we are. ::)

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 12/31/04 at 4:43 pm

It's so tacky and a complete lack of class to questions someone's charity.  It is true that as the wealthiest nation in the world, we have a moral obligation to help out more then others, but its so freakin' tacky to call us stingy.  It all seemed like a ploy to get more money out of America to me.

Written By: Powerslave on 01/01/05 at 2:38 am

No doubt, Jessica.  I am getting sick of hearing how stingy we are. ::)

I'm not about to suggest that the US is being stingy, but the initial package of aid that was offered by the country which proudly boasts itself to be the leader of the free world was paltry in comparison to what other, almost insignificant nations were offering. Russia already has people on the ground there, I saw pictures in the paper yesterday of soldiers in Romania loading trucks with emergency supplies for the relief effort and even Bangladesh has sent doctors and rescue teams. On the one hand, the President was saying that the US was "leading a coalition" of aid, and on the other pledging a monetary figure of $35 million. The people of Sydney raised over $1 million from their own pockets in one night. Sure, America may contribute 40% of the total to global aid, but IMO it also deserved criticism for its initial response to what is likely to be the worst natural disaster in recorded history. I heard on the news tonight that America is contributing $350 million and is now directing ships and men into the area, and that's great! But if American wants to claim to be the leader of the world, it has to be the leader ALL THE TIME, and it has to lead by example. Again, this isn't a rant against American citizens, as I'm sure that most decent Americans who can will find something to donate, but the government should really have come up with a more realistic response in the first place, rather than something that just sounded like tokenism.

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/01/05 at 9:47 am

I'm not about to suggest that the US is being stingy, but the initial package of aid that was offered by the country which proudly boasts itself to be the leader of the free world was paltry in comparison to what other, almost insignificant nations were offering. Russia already has people on the ground there, I saw pictures in the paper yesterday of soldiers in Romania loading trucks with emergency supplies for the relief effort and even Bangladesh has sent doctors and rescue teams. On the one hand, the President was saying that the US was "leading a coalition" of aid, and on the other pledging a monetary figure of $35 million. The people of Sydney raised over $1 million from their own pockets in one night. Sure, America may contribute 40% of the total to global aid, but IMO it also deserved criticism for its initial response to what is likely to be the worst natural disaster in recorded history. I heard on the news tonight that America is contributing $350 million and is now directing ships and men into the area, and that's great! But if American wants to claim to be the leader of the world, it has to be the leader ALL THE TIME, and it has to lead by example. Again, this isn't a rant against American citizens, as I'm sure that most decent Americans who can will find something to donate, but the government should really have come up with a more realistic response in the first place, rather than something that just sounded like tokenism.

You realize, of course, that the $350MM mentioned is ONLY that money that the American Government has ponied up?  That figure is likely to be dwarfed by the private donations of average American citizens.

And who says that American should be the leader ALL THE TIME?  Are you implying that Aussies or Russkies, for example, lack the resolve or mental capacity or charitable spirit to ever serve as leaders in a given situation?  I think not.

If the rest of the world is so %$#%$# charitable, where are they in Darfur?  Where were they in Rwanda?  I'll tell you where they were.  Sitting on the sidelines waiting for the USA to "take the lead".  And when we did not, these charitable bleacher-bums stayed on the sidelines and did nothing but complain why the Americans did not do something. 

Where were other nations in the former Yugoslavia?  I'll tell you.  Sitting on their butts waiting for Clinton to finally send in American planes, then they worked side-by side with American ground troops, cleaning our latrines.  At the first sign of trouble, United Nations "troops" are the first to leave, in their role of official cowardice, as was the case of UNFOR "troops" in ex-Yugoslavia.  I did not see Russia or Austrailia or Romania step up to bat there.  Wouldn't expect it either.

Despite American faults, and there are plenty of them, the bottom line, is that the only nation in the world that is willing to put both its lives and its pocketbooks on the line, consistently, is the United States of America.  Without American charity and resolve, all of Europe would be a rubble-stewn ghetto in which German was the official langauge, and Russia would consist of two partitions, one German speaking and one japanese speaking.  And today's Red China and Korea would be Japanese colonies.

Written By: fragswife on 01/01/05 at 1:05 pm

Indeed...  apparently they clean up the bodies on the beach every day, then overnight a new group of bodies are washed up with the tides.  This is why the numbers go up so drastically each morning.

:(

Written By: jaytee on 01/01/05 at 3:52 pm

You realize, of course, that the $350MM mentioned is ONLY that money that the American Government has ponied up?  That figure is likely to be dwarfed by the private donations of average American citizens.

And who says that American should be the leader ALL THE TIME?  Are you implying that Aussies or Russkies, for example, lack the resolve or mental capacity or charitable spirit to ever serve as leaders in a given situation?  I think not.

If the rest of the world is so %$#%$# charitable, where are they in Darfur?  Where were they in Rwanda?  I'll tell you where they were.  Sitting on the sidelines waiting for the USA to "take the lead".  And when we did not, these charitable bleacher-bums stayed on the sidelines and did nothing but complain why the Americans did not do something. 

Where were other nations in the former Yugoslavia?  I'll tell you.  Sitting on their butts waiting for Clinton to finally send in American planes, then they worked side-by side with American ground troops, cleaning our latrines.  At the first sign of trouble, United Nations "troops" are the first to leave, in their role of official cowardice, as was the case of UNFOR "troops" in ex-Yugoslavia.  I did not see Russia or Austrailia or Romania step up to bat there.  Wouldn't expect it either.

Despite American faults, and there are plenty of them, the bottom line, is that the only nation in the world that is willing to put both its lives and its pocketbooks on the line, consistently, is the United States of America.  Without American charity and resolve, all of Europe would be a rubble-stewn ghetto in which German was the official langauge, and Russia would consist of two partitions, one German speaking and one japanese speaking.  And today's Red China and Korea would be Japanese colonies.

::) ::)

Written By: Bobby on 01/01/05 at 8:17 pm

::) ::)

I understand.  ;)

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 01/02/05 at 12:05 am

I understand.  ;)

Make that a double.

And if its going to become a "competition" as to who donates the most - Japan is currently winning:

Japan pledges $642 million in aid
January 2, 2005
Sydney Morning Herald.

Japan has pledged up to $US500 million ($642 million) in grant aid for tsunami disaster relief, Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi announced, making the country the largest single donor to victims of the catastrophe.

Koizumi, in a statement, said Japan would extend the aid to affected countries and international organizations.

The prime minister said he would attend an aid conference next week in Jakarta, Indonesia, to "express Japan's determination to extend the maximum possible assistance commensurate with its responsibilities as a fellow Asia partner."

Until today, Japan had pledged more than Y3.1 billion ($38.68 million) in emergency aid to Asian nations devastated by the earthquake and tsunami.

Japan has sent dozens of firefighters, doctors, and other relief workers to affected areas.

It also has dispatched two naval destroyers and a supply ship to waters off Thailand to help with the recovery effort.

Generous Australians give $750,000 an hour
By Frank Walker Matthew Benns and Kerry-Anne Walsh
January 2, 2005
Sydney Morning Herald

Australians have donated almost $750,000 an hour as part of a worldwide effort that has raised more than $1.8 billion in aid for the countries ravaged by the Boxing Day tsunami.

As Australian doctors joined colleagues from around the world in the stricken countries, hundreds of Australian families are beginning to realise loved ones will not be coming home.

Since last Sunday, the Australian Government has pledged $60 million in aid, while aid agencies have received pledges of $50 million.

America and China finally recognised the enormous challenge facing the world. The US increased its aid tenfold to $US350 million ($447.5 million) while China pledged $US60.5 million.

They were stung into action after one of the world's poorest countries, East Timor, pledged $US50,000. And residents of the southern Russian town of Beslan, still mourning the loss of 344 people including scores of children in a school hostage drama last year, donated $US35,700.

In Sydney on New Year's Eve Oxfam raised more than $1,121,000.

The number of Australians pledging money rose steeply yesterday with extra donations topping more than $17 million in one day.

One man in Queensland went to his local Red Cross branch with $10,000 in cash. This helped lift the Red Cross total from $18.1 million on Friday morning to $26 million yesterday.

Woolworths donated $500,000 to the Salvation Army and, from today, shoppers will be encouraged to donate at in-store collection points.

Westfield Group announced yesterday that it will donate $1 million on top of its emergency appeal for Care Australia, where Westfield will make its 39 Australian shopping centres donation collection points.

Fund-raising has been equally brisk around the world, particularly in Britain where the public raised nearly $122 million, matching the Government's pledge.

The massive Australian effort in the ravaged countries will from today be co-ordinated from a headquarters in Medan, in Indonesia.

Four C-130 Hercules transport aircraft are ferrying aid into Aceh and bringing out injured for medical care in Medan and Jakarta. Two more C-130s will set up operations in Darwin to provide an "air bridge" between Australia and Sumatra.

Four Iroquois helicopters will also be dispatched from Queensland over the weekend, which adds to the three already in operation in the disaster zone.

By tomorrow, the Australian contingent working in the affected areas will also include advance medical and assessment/planning teams, a water purification plant, HMAS Kanimbla, which sailed out of Sydney on Friday evening, two Sea King helicopters and two landing craft, and a 55-bed field hospital staffed by about 90 medical personnel.

Now that I am back home I have been able to find out how Perth and the rest of my state was affected.  The quake and its many many aftershocks caused some considerable rumblings apparently.  In the northwest and all the way down below Perth there have been monster tides each day.  Two ladies camping near a beach up north woke to find themselves floating out to sea in their tent due to the initial tidal wave.  Fortunately no injuries or major damage have been reported.

Several hundred Perth residents remain unaccounted for among the 1850 Aussies still listed as missing in Thailand. 

I know a lot of my co workers were going to Phuket for Christmas so I wont know till Tuesday who has safely returned - and half my team are from India so it wont be pleasant returning to work to hear they have lost friends and relatives.

Some handy sites

http://tsunamihelp.blogspot.com/

http://www.tsunamiforum.org/

Written By: Jessica on 01/02/05 at 12:31 am

It's not a matter of who's donating what. The only thing that irked the hell out of me was that jacka** from the UN saying that we were being stingy. He had no right to say anything, considering the little scandal going on in the UN right now with Kofi Annan's son. :P

Written By: Powerslave on 01/02/05 at 12:56 am

It's not a matter of who's donating what. The only thing that irked the hell out of me was that jacka** from the UN saying that we were being stingy. He had no right to say anything, considering the little scandal going on in the UN right now with Kofi Annan's son. :P

My turn to roll my eyes. This is an issue that's above politics. I apologise for politicising it, but I was trying to make a point. LB, if you want to bring Rwanda into it, why exactly did America do nothing about that? I bet that to this day, more Americans can remember the OJ Simpson police chase than they can anything significant about the massacre in Rwanda, which was happening at the same time. My point was that American political rhetoric has us all believe that they are the world leaders in everything, so why shouldn't we expect them to live up to it? Once again, I wasn't criticising the American people, because I know that they will give till it hurts. My criticism of the US government boiled down to the fact that their initial response was woeful. It was a bit like going to a charity auction with Bill Gates and donating $1000, and then watching as he donates the same amount.

BTW, Egelund from the UN didn't actually mention the US by name.  ;) He was talking about the "world's richest countries". And if you consider the fact that East Timor could scrounge up $50,000 for aid relief when they can't even afford to build schools in the capital, he did have a point.

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/02/05 at 7:34 am

Make that a double.

And if its going to become a "competition" as to who donates the most - Japan is currently winning:

I'm sure that the peoples of Sumatra, Thailand, and Burma (Myanmar) are impressed with Japan's centuries-long record of charity and good will towards their neighbors.

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 01/02/05 at 11:36 pm

I'm sure that the peoples of Sumatra, Thailand, and Burma (Myanmar) are impressed with Japan's centuries-long record of charity and good will towards their neighbors.

Just like most human beings - every country and leader has the ability to change over the years.  Based on your comments over the past week I believe you live in the past (cant remember how old you are but your opinions are those of a 60 year old man struggling to accept a future and a present) - and retain opinions of various countries historys - rather than trying to understand that so many countrys actually progress forward - and for the better in so many cases.

Its no different to my grandfather hating the Japanese because of the torture he endured during WW2 - but he accepts that he hates the Japanese of the 1930s and 40s - and not his Japanese bingo partner of the 2000s.

People and countries move on.  Deal with it !

The tsunami is a great example of MOST countries putting aside political differences in order to help out. I say most because India and Burma are being a wee bit pedantic about turning away aid and hiding the true death toll etc while their survivors stand starving on rubble that was once their town.

Modified to add that re reading this did feel like it was a personal attack on you Lyric Boy so I wanted to add that living in the past is something I do myself - I liked my life in the 80's and wish I could live like that again - but at the same time I never lose track of the fact that all around me change is occuring.  I dont know how to word this as well as someone like Powerslave does - mainly because I do not have a political bone in my body. 
You need to realise that the rest of the world rolls their eyes at your comments because they are identical to what we hear from american men who fought in every war in the last century.  And all those men apparently fought around the world completely blind to the fact that they were fighting beside men from every nation in the world. Comments like "you would all be speaking japanese/german if it wasnt for us" are totally disrespectful to the millions of men (and women) from the rest of the world who fought and died in the same wars as americans did.  So thats why we roll our eyes. 

Now - enough political cr*p - back to the tragedy in the Indian Ocean that is affecting nations far and wide.

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 01/03/05 at 12:38 am

I am sure this will be happening everywhere - be aware that if you want to donate money online - be sure to use a well known registered charity.  I have also been reading of a UK website sending emails to people saying their relatives are dead. God there are some sick folk around.

THE AGE
Australian 'aid' website under investigation
January 3, 2005

A website purporting to be collecting donations towards the tsunami appeal is under investigation by the Red Cross and Tasmanian Police.

A Red Cross spokesman said the site, http://www.incybernet.com, had asked for donations on the basis they were going to the worldwide charity organisation.

The website today featured a picture of a child with the Red Cross symbol in the background.

It also featured the Red Cross logo used for their Asia Quake and Tsunamis Appeal.

A Red Cross spokesman said they had never heard of Incybernet and were investigating.

A mobile phone number for credit card donations did not answer, while Hobart detectives were investigating a Glenorchy address where donors could send cheques or money orders.

Aid agency association, Australian Council for International Development (ACFID), said it had never heard of Incybernet, which alleged it had raised $10,000 for its appeal.

ACFID maintains a list of all major charities.

The association's chief executive Graham Tupper said his organisation had no listing for Incybernet.

"We've never heard of them," he said.

"They are completely unknown to us."

Mr Tupper said the safest way to donate money for the tsunami appeal was to give to recognised charities which were listed on the ACFID website, http://www.acfid.asn.au.

Incybernet's website also made reference to World Vision.

"A 9.0 earthquake has unleashed devastating tsunamis on coastal areas throughout Asia, killing more than 80,000 people and leaving a million homeless," the website said.

"World Vision is responding; now we urgently need your support.

"Your gift today will rush food and Family Survival Kits to Asian countries affected by the Dec. 26 earthquake and tsunami, and provide other relief as needed."

World Vision spokeswoman Belinda Richardson said the aid agency had not heard of Incybernet either.

Written By: danootaandme on 01/03/05 at 5:51 am

THE AGE
Australian 'aid' website under investigation
January 3, 2005

A website purporting to be collecting donations towards the tsunami appeal is under investigation by the Red Cross and Tasmanian Police.

The Red Cross is one to talk.  They themselves have had more than a few  "indiscretions" when it
comes to how they run their business.  I have refused to give to them for about 25 years, I give to
other charities instead.

Written By: Dagwood on 01/03/05 at 7:22 am

Good advice, BMG.

Written By: Bobby on 01/03/05 at 2:00 pm

Its no different to my grandfather hating the Japanese because of the torture he endured during WW2 - but he accepts that he hates the Japanese of the 1930s and 40s - and not his Japanese bingo partner of the 2000s.

That is a wonderful way of expressing redemption BMG. People are persons not personifications.  :)

You need to realise that the rest of the world rolls their eyes at your comments because they are identical to what we hear from american men who fought in every war in the last century.  And all those men apparently fought around the world completely blind to the fact that they were fighting beside men from every nation in the world. Comments like "you would all be speaking japanese/german if it wasnt for us" are totally disrespectful to the millions of men (and women) from the rest of the world who fought and died in the same wars as americans did.  So thats why we roll our eyes. 

Yet again, well put BMG. I don't know much about history (as Sam Cooke once sang) but I don't believe the USA were interested in the second world war (as referred to by Lyricboy). In fact, if Pearl Harbour didn't get bombed two years after the war begun, I wonder whether we would have seen the USA involved in the war at all while other people across the world were struggling through it from the start.

That is why those sentiments expressed affect us.

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 01/05/05 at 4:27 am

The Red Cross is one to talk.  They themselves have had more than a few  "indiscretions" when it
comes to how they run their business.  I have refused to give to them for about 25 years, I give to
other charities instead.

I dont know how the Red Cross conducts themselves in other countries but I know I personally stopped donating funds to them in Aus after I saw a doco on how the breakdown of a dollar was done - it basically showed the dollar as a piechart - showing about 60% going to "admin" and all these other percents going elsewhere and then about 6% going to an actual person in need of charity.  Then after some major Aussie floods a few years ago my mum and I wanted to donate clothes and bedding as we had tonnes to spare - Red Cross and Salvation Army both refused to come and collect items for "a particular cause".
In the end we decided we would post them to the affected town directly - and when we told the postmaster what we were doing - he posted them for free and the postmaster in the affected town personally drove the stuff out to the aboriginal communities.  So at least we knew they recieved something fast.

With regards to the new article I posted above - the police have investigated and it appears it was a 19 year old guy in Tassie who had a missing friend or relative and he genuinely believed he was doing something legal - he did not actually recieve any funds and has now closed down the website upon police advice.

That is a wonderful way of expressing redemption BMG. People are persons not personifications. :)

Yet again, well put BMG. I don't know much about history (as Sam Cooke once sang) but I don't believe the USA were interested in the second world war (as referred to by Lyricboy). In fact, if Pearl Harbour didn't get bombed two years after the war begun, I wonder whether we would have seen the USA involved in the war at all while other people across the world were struggling through it from the start.

That is why those sentiments expressed affect us.

Thanks Bobby - glad I made sense - sometime I find it so hard to express myself in writing - I can say it all out loud and it sounds fabulous - but when I type it - well it just never expresses it the way I hoped.

Written By: Bobby on 01/05/05 at 5:54 pm

Thanks Bobby - glad I made sense - sometime I find it so hard to express myself in writing - I can say it all out loud and it sounds fabulous - but when I type it - well it just never expresses it the way I hoped.

No worries. I'm a bit the other way around unfortunately. Hey BMG, between us, we can tackle the world.  ;D

Written By: Powerslave on 01/06/05 at 12:57 am

Just write it the way you'd say it. :) It couldn't be any worse than some post I've read on web boards over the years. :)

Check for new replies or respond here...