inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Rap & R and B

Written By: CBH1989er on 12/26/04 at 9:14 pm

This only for the ppl who like rap.Plz if u dont have anything good to say about it dont (I heard enough)  say it here I want to see how many ppl here like the rap songs of the 2KS . Name a few of your fav rap and R and B hits from 2000-2004 .

My Favs are
1 2 step : Ciara
Salt Shaker : ying yang twins
Country Grammar :Nelly "00"
Crazy In Love : Beyonce "03"
Change Clothes : Jay Z "03"
Superwoman : LiL Moe "02"
Oops there goes my shirt : Tweet "02"
Freek A Leek : Petey Pablo
I have some more but I cant think of them right now :-P

Subject: Re: Rap & R and B

Written By: woops on 12/26/04 at 10:23 pm

Outkast "Hey Ya", "Ms Jackson", "The Whole World"
Black Eyed Peas "Hey Mama", "Where's The Love"
Beastie Boys "Ch Check It Out", "Triple Trouble"
Eminem "Without Me", "Stan" (the only two songs I like)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/26/04 at 11:54 pm

What they're calling R&B these days is most definitely NOT R&B, so the question is MOOT!
:P

Written By: AngeFaitore on 12/27/04 at 6:34 am

The only rap I like Outkast.
I just don't have anything other than Speakerboxxx/The Love Below.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 12/27/04 at 11:52 am

To give a neanderthal answer....They both Suck ::)

Written By: Jessica on 12/27/04 at 12:23 pm

What they're calling R&B these days is most definitely NOT R&B, so the question is MOOT!
:P

I'd say Alicia Keys is pretty R&B....AND she's actually talented! :o

I'm not going to list anything at the moment until I'm more alive. Then I'll remember everything I like.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 12/27/04 at 2:02 pm

The only rap I like Outkast.
I just don't have anything other than Speakerboxxx/The Love Below.

I suggest you listen to more of their albums before you become one of their "mainstream/they're so cool now despite being out since 1992" fans.

Tanya

Written By: dmnque on 12/27/04 at 3:13 pm

This only for the ppl who like rap.Plz if u dont have anything good to say about it dont (I heard enough)  say it here I want to see how many ppl here like the rap songs of the 2KS . Name a few of your fav rap and R and B hits from 2000-2004 .

My Favs are
1 2 step : Ciara
Salt Shaker : ying yang twins
Country Grammar :Nelly "00"
Crazy In Love : Beyonce "03"
Change Clothes : Jay Z "03"
Superwoman : LiL Moe "02"
Oops there goes my shirt : Tweet "02"
Freek A Leek : Petey Pablo
I have some more but I cant think of them right now :-P

My favorites are
Freek-a-leek #1 favorite song right now!
1 2 step
Soldier
Lose my breath
Bootylicious
How you gonna act like that
Let me love you
Locked up
Confessions
I mean naming songs from the 2000's there are so many that I like it is a bit overwhelming to name them all

Written By: Wolveroses on 12/27/04 at 3:36 pm

Outkast: Roses
Alicia Keys: If I Ain't Got You
Eminem: All but Stan
Akon: Locked Up
Mario: Let Me Love You
Petey Pablo: Freek A Leek (my parody coming sometime soon)

theres too many

Written By: Wolveroses on 12/27/04 at 3:41 pm

I suggest you listen to more of their albums before you become one of their "mainstream/they're so cool now despite being out since 1992" fans.
Tanya

what we have here is talking about 2000 to now.  Yeah outkast was great before they became mainstream.  My favorite album is by Outkast the "Southernplayalistacadillacmuzik" album

uh rocknrollfan and maxwellsmart, can yous read

Written By: Howard on 12/27/04 at 4:43 pm

What's the difference between Rap & R & B? I kinda thought they were in the same category?

Howard

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/27/04 at 4:58 pm

I like many kinds of music from the mid-60's to now....that includes some rap and modern RnB...Stuff like 'Cantaloop'by US3,'Keep On Movin' by Soul II Soul, 'Fantastic Voyage','1-2-3-4',and 'Too Hot'-a rap with a SAFE SEX message-the three aforementioned jams by Coolio, Alicia Keys is a HUGELY talented RnB singer...The BEASTIE BOYS are always cool IMHO...but I also like timeless rock,such as the Beatles,Doors,Stones,Yes,Deep Purple,Steppenwolf,Def Leppard,et cetera...open-mindedness never hurt anyone...

Written By: Tanya1976 on 12/27/04 at 5:04 pm

what we have here is talking about 2000 to now.  Yeah outkast was great before they became mainstream.  My favorite album is by Outkast the "Southernplayalistacadillacmuzik" album

This is definitely one of my faves from them b/c it came out my first year of college in Atlanta. The sound was everywhere, so I got to see them in clubs and other concerts in Atlanta. Cool times.

What's the difference between Rap & R & B? I kinda thought they were in the same category?

Howard

The difference is that Rap is music of the 1980s and 1990s in which rhyming lyrics are chanted to a musical accompaniment (it has many forms from southern to christian to gangsta; whereas R&B (the sister of Rap) is a combination of blues and jazz that was developed in the United States by Black musicians and became an important precursor of rock 'n' roll (examples: Gladys Knight and the Pips, Alicia Keys, R.Kelly).

Tanya

Written By: Howard on 12/27/04 at 5:06 pm

This is definitely one of my faves from them b/c it came out my first year of college in Atlanta. The sound was everywhere, so I got to see them in clubs and other concerts in Atlanta. Cool times.

The difference is that Rap is music of the 1980s and 1990s in which rhyming lyrics are chanted to a musical accompaniment (it has many forms from southern to christian to gangsta; whereas R&B (the sister of Rap) is a combination of blues and jazz that was developed in the United States by Black musicians and became an important precursor of rock 'n' roll (examples: Gladys Knight and the Pips, Alicia Keys, R.Kelly).

Tanya

Thanks Tanya. :) You have much better knowledge than I do. ;)

Howard

Written By: Howard on 12/27/04 at 5:07 pm

I like some Rap but actually I'm more a classic R & B kinda person. :)

Howard

Written By: Tanya1976 on 12/27/04 at 5:14 pm

Thanks Tanya. :) You have much better knowledge than I do. ;)

Howard

Anytime, Howard! While I love most R&B and some rap, I am basically a rock chick!

Tanya

Written By: Howard on 12/27/04 at 5:27 pm

Anytime, Howard! While I love most R&B and some rap, I am basically a rock chick!

Tanya

I like basically just about everything. :)

Howard

Written By: woops on 12/27/04 at 8:04 pm

I like some recent songs from Shaggy, but he's more reggae influenced.

Written By: Howard on 12/28/04 at 4:50 pm

I think R & B came first then Rap started in the late 70's.

Howard

Written By: Tanya1976 on 12/28/04 at 6:26 pm

R&B started in the 50s. The first documented rap was in the late sixties by a group focusing on inner city struggles and strength.

Tanya

Written By: Howard on 12/28/04 at 6:27 pm

R&B started in the 50s. The first documented rap was in the late sixties by a group focusing on inner city struggles and strength.

Tanya

Would you happen to know the name of this group? ???

Howard

Written By: Tanya1976 on 12/28/04 at 6:32 pm

I forget the name of the group, but they are somehow related to the "Revolution Will Not Be Televised" poem written and performed by Gil Scott-Heron, who is often marked as the first "rapper".

Tanya

Written By: Howard on 12/28/04 at 6:33 pm

I forget the name of the group, but they are somehow related to the "Revolution Will Not Be Televised" poem written and performed by Gil Scott-Heron, who is often marked as the first "rapper".

Tanya

Thank You. :)

Howard

Written By: Tanya1976 on 12/28/04 at 6:37 pm

^Anytime, Howard!

Tanya

Written By: Howard on 12/28/04 at 6:38 pm

I always thought that Rap had started by Fatback (King Tim)Personality Jock

Howard

Written By: Tanya1976 on 12/28/04 at 6:39 pm

^who is that?

Tanya

Written By: Howard on 12/28/04 at 6:42 pm

^who is that?

Tanya

Fatback was a funk group who started out in 1974 and came out with a rap song in 1979 called King Tim.people kinda thought they were the first group who started rap.

Howard

Written By: Tanya1976 on 12/28/04 at 7:56 pm

Interesting note

Tanya

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/29/04 at 4:15 pm

What some people don't seem to understand is that at least SOME rap is WHAT REALITY IS to many people who live in the inner city...murder,drugs,rape,shootings,gangs,prostitution and the list goes on-is something that CANNOT be 'sugarcoated' by 'nicer' rappers and rap songs...It would be saying 'it's okay to have to live with it,oh well,let's have a love-fest,it will all go away'..not as long as WASPish America keeps minorities 'in their place' and keeps INTOLERANCE 'under rug swept'.....Rock music gets bashed too(anyone remember the PMRC?)

Written By: Howard on 12/29/04 at 4:27 pm

I happen to like the Old School Rap better than today's Rap.It had no cursing and lyrics flowed freely and it sounded fun when you danced to it. :)

Howard

Written By: Tanya1976 on 12/29/04 at 7:26 pm

What some people don't seem to understand is that at least SOME rap is WHAT REALITY IS to many people who live in the inner city...murder,drugs,rape,shootings,gangs,prostitution and the list goes on-is something that CANNOT be 'sugarcoated' by 'nicer' rappers and rap songs...It would be saying 'it's okay to have to live with it,oh well,let's have a love-fest,it will all go away'..not as long as WASPish America keeps minorities 'in their place' and keeps INTOLERANCE 'under rug swept'.....Rock music gets bashed too(anyone remember the PMRC?)

A lot of that reality is exaggerated. I was born and raised in the inner-city. While it did occur in some spots. It didn't occur in my entire neighborhood b/c of the intolerance of many inhabitants (thankfully), especially on my block.

Tanya

Written By: Eve Orzabal Smith on 12/30/04 at 10:08 am

My favourite rap songs are "Hey Ladies!" by Beastie Boys and "Yeah!" by Usher, about R&B I like "Diary" by Alicia Keys and "Janny from the block" by Jennifer Lopez 8)

Check for new replies or respond here...