inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Why Cartoon Network neglects classic cartoons?

Written By: woops on 01/03/05 at 4:54 pm

I actually don't understand why Cartoon Network nolonger air  Looney Tunes & Hanna Barbera toons.  :P

Now they only air, besides "Adult Swim" (which I like), mindless drek like "Powerpuff Girls", "Pokemon", "Hi Hi Puffy Ami Yumi",  "Megas XLR", "Edd, Edd, & Eddy",  etc.

I remember when Nickelodeon used to air old cartoons/tv shows along with their (then) current programming.

And Cartoon Network aired classic toons & only aired their current toons, which came in the mid '90's, on decent time slots instead of running them 20  times a day.

It's almost like Cartoon Network is like the MTV for younger kids. Except that they neglect classic cartoons instead of past music.  The same for Nickelodeon, which ironically is a Viacom network.  :P

I know most teens rather listen to what's "hip" today, but most kids don't care if Looney Tunes were around since the 1930's or their parents grew up watching "The Flinstones".

Subject: Re: Why Cartoon Network neglects classic cartoons?

Written By: Kyle on 01/03/05 at 7:55 pm

I actually don't understand why Cartoon Network nolonger air  Looney Tunes & Hanna Barbera toons.  :P

Now they only air, besides "Adult Swim" (which I like), mindless drek like "Powerpuff Girls", "Pokemon", "Hi Hi Puffy Ami Yumi",  "Megas XLR", "Edd, Edd, & Eddy",  etc.

I remember when Nickelodeon used to air old cartoons/tv shows along with their (then) current programming.

And Cartoon Network aired classic toons & only aired their current toons, which came in the mid '90's, on decent time slots instead of running them 20  times a day.

It's almost like Cartoon Network is like the MTV for younger kids. Except that they neglect classic cartoons instead of past music.  The same for Nickelodeon, which ironically is a Viacom network.  :P

I know most teens rather listen to what's "hip" today, but most kids don't care if Looney Tunes were around since the 1930's or their parents grew up watching "The Flinstones".

I don't think those modern CN shows are as bad.  :)  Foster's Home of Imaginery Friends sucks, but the rest are pretty cool.  i wish Tom and Jerry and Looney Tunes will come back.

Written By: Marian on 01/03/05 at 8:17 pm

that'll be on the Boomerang network

Written By: nally on 01/03/05 at 10:56 pm

They don't even have Tom and Jerry anymore? ???

Written By: trance on 01/04/05 at 3:03 am

They don't even have Tom and Jerry anymore? ???

Or Speed Racer?

Written By: Dagwood on 01/04/05 at 7:18 am

I still see Tom and Jerry..it is usually on on the weekends.  My daughter loves it.

Written By: bj26 on 01/04/05 at 7:36 am

My kids liked the old cartoons when they were littleler, but they pretty much like the newer stuff now on Nick and cartoon network, though they are selective. btw, I like Adult Swim, also check out the Family Guy on Fox, also Futurama which we watch these two as a family thing.

Written By: Stompgal on 01/04/05 at 8:03 am

They tend to show modern cartoons on Cartoon Network and older ones on Boomerang. I've noticed that they've started to show Flintstones, Tom and Jerry and Scooby Doo spin-offs on Boomerang such as Flintstone Kids, A Pup Named Scooby Doo and Tom and Jerry Kids on Boomerang. I pretty much like those spin-offs.

Written By: lorac614 on 01/04/05 at 2:39 pm

Boomerang is the place for those classics, however CN does show Scooby Doo and Tom and Jerry.  I know this because I have a 4 year old who watches those shows on CN. 

Written By: woops on 01/04/05 at 3:14 pm

I've heard of Boomerang, but I don't have digital cable/satellite...  :P

There's some good shows (outside of 'Adult Swim') like Justice League & Dragon Ball.  :)

Written By: Howard on 01/04/05 at 4:51 pm

I guess Cartoon Network wants to please the younger teenaged audience these days.

Stripperella isn't even a freakin cartoon in the first place. ::)

Howard

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/04/05 at 7:06 pm

Or Speed Racer?
Speed Racer is on SpeedChannel...for real no pun intended

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/04/05 at 7:09 pm

Does ANYONE here remember when TNT (Turner Network Television)had TWO HOURS of Warner Brothers classic toons every weeknight? I do!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/05/05 at 3:01 pm

I'd also like to see some of the really bad Hanna-Barbera 'toons from the '60s, the ones the never show any more--Wally Gator, Magilla Gorilla, Peter Potamus 'n stuff.
:D

I like a bunch of the Adult Swim stuff.  Even "Tom Goes to the Mayor" is growing on me, but it's pretty hard to like, I tell ya!
I love:
Mission Hill
The Oblongs
Home Movies
Family Guy
Aqua Teen Hunger Force
The Brak Show

They tend to alternate these series on and off.  Oh yeah, "Futurama" is pretty good, though it's not a big favorite.

Outside of Adult Swim, CN is pretty useless.

Written By: Howard on 01/05/05 at 5:19 pm

I don't think Stripperella with Pamela Anderson would be considered a cartoon. ::)

Howard

Written By: nally on 01/05/05 at 5:39 pm

I've heard of Boomerang, but I don't have digital cable/satellite...  :P

I've heard of it too, but my digital cable lineup doesn't have it. :-\\

Written By: MotleyCrueFan'05 on 01/28/06 at 4:38 pm

Now Cartoon Network started showing live action movies and classic cartoons are NOWHERE to be found

Written By: Roadgeek on 01/28/06 at 6:14 pm

Does ANYONE here remember when TNT (Turner Network Television)had TWO HOURS of Warner Brothers classic toons every weeknight? I do!

I do. I'd watch it all the time. Good times. :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/28/06 at 9:44 pm

Boomerang doesn't even play some of the good old ones...there are so many cartoons that I would love to see again! :-\\

Written By: whistledog on 01/28/06 at 9:48 pm

I don't get Cartoon Network  :\'(

In Canada, we have a channel called "Teletoon".  They don't play all that much classic cartoons, but on the weekends, they do play some Warner Brothers and Classic Disney cartoons. 

What I wanna see is for these channels to play some of those great 80's cartoons I grew up with like "Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors", "The Smurfs", "Gummi Bears" or "M.A.S.K.".  Probably won't ever happen though  :\'(

Written By: nally on 01/29/06 at 1:22 am

Boomerang doesn't even play some of the good old ones...there are so many cartoons that I would love to see again! :-\\

Same here! But, I don't get Boomerang. :-[

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/29/06 at 1:37 am

Same here! But, I don't get Boomerang. :-[

I have it on my cable...it is pretty cool...but they still don't play a lot of the good ones that I used to watch when I was young.

Written By: nally on 01/29/06 at 1:41 am

I have it on my cable...it is pretty cool...but they still don't play a lot of the good ones that I used to watch when I was young.

that sux :-\\

Our Adelphia cable doesn't have it for some reason. What's worse is that they took away a few of the channels we used to have. :-[ Such as TRIO, which had the late 60s/early 70s show "Laugh In".

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/29/06 at 1:44 am

that sux :-\\

Our Adelphia cable doesn't have it for some reason. What's worse is that they took away a few of the channels we used to have. :-[ Such as TRIO, which had the late 60s/early 70s show "Laugh In".

we have Armstrong cable in our area....it used to suck..but now they are advancing and we have been getting a lot of newer features.  We have a few Nickelodeon channels, and we have a channel called Nickelodeon GAS (it shows old episodes of Nick game shows....Guts, Finders Keepers, Double Dare, etc.)

Written By: Billy Florio on 01/29/06 at 3:14 am

I actually don't understand why Cartoon Network nolonger air  Looney Tunes

They dont own the rights to them anymore.  Ted Turner does. 

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 01/29/06 at 3:37 am

Haven't seen CN since... '03 or '04 (when we got rid of our cable) although it had a few decent classics back then.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/29/06 at 9:21 am

[quote author=whis

Written By: Roadgeek on 01/29/06 at 4:47 pm

Why old cartoons are neglected can be answered simply.

Unfortunately contemporary always beats retro's butt! Don't know why, but it's sad. :(

Written By: ForWhoeverCares on 01/29/06 at 5:50 pm

I don't think those modern CN shows are as bad.  :)  Foster's Home of Imaginery Friends sucks, but the rest are pretty cool.  i wish Tom and Jerry and Looney Tunes will come back.

Tom & Jerry are usually on every weekday at 12pm-1pm est. It is sometimes, rarely, shortened to 1/2 an hour or pre-empted by another program. Boomerang btw does show Looney Tunes and is part of the Cartoon Network. Both are owned by TurnerVision, which also owns TBS, Turner Network Television (TNT), Turner Classic Movies (TCM), Turner South, Boomerang, TNT Europe, Cartoon Network Europe, TNT Latin America, Cartoon Network Latin America, TNT & Cartoon Network/Asia Pacific, Atlanta Braves, Cartoon Network Japan, Cable News Network (CNN), CNN Headline News, CNN International, CNN en Espanol, CNN Airport Network, CNN en Espanol Radio, CNN.com, CNN Newsource,CNN+, and CNN Turk.

For the internet illiterate here's Boomerangs schedule: http://schedule.cartoonnetwork.com/servlet/BoomerangServlet?action=selectBMDay

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/29/06 at 7:47 pm

Also where's stuff like 'The Bullwinkle Show', 'Underdog', 'The Pink Panther', 'Heckle and Jeckle', 'Gumby', 'HR Pufnstuff', 'The Banana Splits', 'The Flintstones', 'Yogi Bear', 'The Wacky Races' and 'Yankee Doodle Pigeon'...all neglected in favor of the 'cool' stuff kids like..Don't the people at Cartoon Network think that if kids got to see the aforementioned stuff, some older kids might like it? Or don't they think us older folks like the older toons just as much as when we were kids? I'm 46, and I still love old cartoons!

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 01/29/06 at 9:01 pm

Also where's stuff like 'The Bullwinkle Show', 'Underdog', 'The Pink Panther', 'Heckle and Jeckle', 'Gumby', 'HR Pufnstuff', 'The Banana Splits', 'The Flintstones', 'Yogi Bear', 'The Wacky Races' and 'Yankee Doodle Pigeon'...all neglected in favor of the 'cool' stuff kids like..Don't the people at Cartoon Network think that if kids got to see the aforementioned stuff, some older kids might like it? Or don't they think us older folks like the older toons just as much as when we were kids? I'm 46, and I still love old cartoons!

Kids today will never know what it was like to wake up to these shows or to come home in the afternoon and watch them, or at least have the option to watch them. Unfortunately, not everyone recieves Boomerang, so it's still rather limited to the majority of cartoon watchers. Kids are practically force fed to watch less than steller cartoons. Now, if 5-9 year olds would watch Family Guy or Futerama, I'd be a little worried as these are two rather adult shows (which I love, by the way) and just because they're animated doesn't mean they're hardly for children. I know I wouldn't get half the gags on that show if I were a kid right now (especially because a good portion of those gags are based on things that happened within the last 30-40 years - way before they're time - heck, they wouldn't even associate Adam West as "Batman", lol).

Written By: nally on 01/29/06 at 10:52 pm

we have Armstrong cable in our area....it used to suck..but now they are advancing and we have been getting a lot of newer features.  We have a few Nickelodeon channels, and we have a channel called Nickelodeon GAS (it shows old episodes of Nick game shows....Guts, Finders Keepers, Double Dare, etc.)

I have the Nick GAS channel as well...seeing those late 80's episodes of Double Dare (with host Marc Summers) brings back childhood memories for me; back then, however, it aired in syndication.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/29/06 at 11:11 pm

Kids today will never know what it was like to wake up to these shows or to come home in the afternoon and watch them, or at least have the option to watch them. Unfortunately, not everyone recieves Boomerang, so it's still rather limited to the majority of cartoon watchers. Kids are practically force fed to watch less than steller cartoons. Now, if 5-9 year olds would watch Family Guy or Futerama, I'd be a little worried as these are two rather adult shows (which I love, by the way) and just because they're animated doesn't mean they're hardly for children. I know I wouldn't get half the gags on that show if I were a kid right now (especially because a good portion of those gags are based on things that happened within the last 30-40 years - way before they're time - heck, they wouldn't even associate Adam West as "Batman", lol).

I know what you mean. I used to love to come home from school and sit down and watch my favorite cartoons. Cartoons and TV shows are nothing like they used to be...that's for sure. :-\\

Written By: ForWhoeverCares on 01/30/06 at 1:48 am

Well, I count 5 of those that are on Bommerang which is part of Cartoon Network. 'The Pink Panther' was on Cartoon Network Sunday morning.  ::)

Written By: woops on 01/30/06 at 2:42 am

Good thing for the Looney Tunes Golden Collection and Walt Disney Treasures/Classic Cartoon Favorite DVDs, though not the same as watching Looney Tunes on Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon, etc. and Donald Duck and Mickey Mouse on Disney Channel.  Atleast they're uncut.  8)

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 01/30/06 at 3:02 am

I know what you mean. I used to love to come home from school and sit down and watch my favorite cartoons. Cartoons and TV shows are nothing like they used to be...that's for sure. :-\\

Yeah, I think this is one of the few things that will separate us from a lot of kids born in the last 10 years compared to 20 years ago. Culture and cartoons have really taken a shift from what we were use to watching. I remember even as late as 1996 that in the morning they were playing the chipmunks in the early mornings.. I don't know when they stopped playing that in the mornings, but that was also a favorite for my brother and I. Also, I can't even remember the last time I saw "The Flintstones" or "The Jetsons" I guess because we got older maybe they thought our generation lost interest in the old fashioned cartoons or something, who knows...

Written By: kellygoo72 on 01/30/06 at 3:33 am

I so TOTALLY agree with this post and I was speaking about this on another post awhile ago.... I personally think it should be a CRIME that The Flintstones is no where to be seen on Cartoon Network!!! I mean with classics like The Flintstones, Wait till Your Father Gets Home and etc, there would BE no Family Guy, South Park or The Simpsons... I really dont care what the young generation wants, we have Adult Swim on that network, put them there were they BELONG.. We should start a petition!

Written By: woops on 01/30/06 at 3:46 am

...not to forget dmub reasons like "cartoon violence"  like the Wile E. Coyote vs.  Road Runner cartoons, which are tame compared to the extreme violence on several anime that are shown on the afternoon on Cartoon Network  ::)  :P

Written By: annonymouse on 01/30/06 at 5:09 pm

Or Speed Racer?

speed racers was canceled long long ago cause' parents were concerned about the effect it had on their children. basically kids were jumping off of furniture and breaking themselves.

Written By: annonymouse on 01/30/06 at 5:12 pm

My kids liked the old cartoons when they were littleler, but they pretty much like the newer stuff now on Nick and cartoon network, though they are selective. btw, I like Adult Swim, also check out the Family Guy on Fox, also Futurama which we watch these two as a family thing.

ah man i love your family. futurama rocks man. im obsessd.

Written By: annonymouse on 01/30/06 at 5:17 pm

I'd also like to see some of the really bad Hanna-Barbera 'toons from the '60s, the ones the never show any more--Wally Gator, Magilla Gorilla, Peter Potamus 'n stuff.
:D

I like a bunch of the Adult Swim stuff.  Even "Tom Goes to the Mayor" is growing on me, but it's pretty hard to like, I tell ya!
I love:
Mission Hill
The Oblongs
Home Movies
Family Guy
Aqua Teen Hunger Force
The Brak Show

They tend to alternate these series on and off.  Oh yeah, "Futurama" is pretty good, though it's not a big favorite.

Outside of Adult Swim, CN is pretty useless.

wow u almost left out futurama. wouldve been very depressed if u had. but really, give it a chance. (i feel like a missionary trying to convert everybody. as futurama is my true religion)

Written By: nally on 01/30/06 at 5:47 pm

...not to forget dmub reasons like "cartoon violence"  like the Wile E. Coyote vs.  Road Runner cartoons, which are tame compared to the extreme violence on several anime that are shown on the afternoon on Cartoon Network  ::)  :P

Yeah, the Wile E. Coyote/Roadrunner duel is practicly nonviolent compared to some of the crap you'd see today. In fact, Roadrunner always does funny things to outwit his rival.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/30/06 at 6:39 pm

Well, I count 5 of those that are on Bommerang which is part of Cartoon Network. 'The Pink Panther' was on Cartoon Network Sunday morning.  ::)
Oh brother...You don't get Boomerang on basic cable here. And digital cable costs an arm and a leg with Comcast in this area. Not everyone here has the kind of money to afford the luxury of digital cable...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/30/06 at 6:52 pm

Yeah, I'd love to see Rocky & Bullwinkle again.  Heck, I'd love to see even the lousy Hanna-Barbera 'toons fom the '60s: Magilla Gorilla, Huckleberry Hound, Wally Gator, Peter Potamus....they never show those anywhere.

It seems like in evey genere of entertainment, the ratio of crap to good stuff always grows until about 90% of it is crap!  That's what is happening at CN!

Written By: nally on 01/30/06 at 10:54 pm

I'd love to see all those classic cartoons again too! I sure miss "Acme Hour" (which used to be on CN). :-[ :\'(

Written By: guest on 01/31/06 at 6:47 pm

Heard from an old cartoon junkie how Bugs Bunny cartoons were hacked up due to race PC..The episode aired somewhere?? which including Bugs about to be killed and asked for any last wishes. The cartoon originally has him saying.."I wish, I wish...I wish I was in Dixie ho-ray, hoo-ray" and donning blackface.
The cut cartoon only has him saying 'I wish I was in Dixie'...cut to end...wow!Someone must have the original of these???

Written By: Electric Youth on 01/31/06 at 9:54 pm

Heard from an old cartoon junkie how Bugs Bunny cartoons were hacked up due to race PC..The episode aired somewhere?? which including Bugs about to be killed and asked for any last wishes. The cartoon originally has him saying.."I wish, I wish...I wish I was in Dixie ho-ray, hoo-ray" and donning blackface.
The cut cartoon only has him saying 'I wish I was in Dixie'...cut to end...wow!Someone must have the original of these???

The uncut version is on public domain, which means could be found on several public domain DVDs, mostly from the "Cartoon Craze" series.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/01/06 at 12:45 pm

...Because the kiddies want JapCrap (no offense meant to the Japanese, but their cartoons suck!)

Written By: alice cumva on 03/10/06 at 10:09 am

i don't think that cn neglects cartoons.in my opinion i like the new cartoons more better than looney tines or tom and jerry(they really really bored me).there more funny and more cooler the new ones than the old ones. :) ;D

Written By: Marian on 03/10/06 at 2:43 pm

Speed Racer is on SpeedChannel...for real no pun intended
what is SpeedChannel?

Written By: Skippy(here & there) on 03/10/06 at 11:31 pm

what is SpeedChannel?

Check out HTTP://SpeedTV.com  It's the "new & Improved" (hack, gasp) Speed Channel. Speed Channel originally started as a nostalgia motor racing channel. It was bought by Fox Sports around 2001 and is now shows NASCAR qualifying, reruns of NASCAR races, FIA Formula-1, AMA & FIM motorcycle racing, and Rally races. They fill in the the rest of the programming with other  pretty lame shows. To my knowledge, they quit showing Speed Racer long ago. It's an O.K. channel, but about 80% of their programming is NASCAR related.

Written By: nally on 03/11/06 at 12:01 am

Check out HTTP://SpeedTV.com  It's the "new & Improved" (hack, gasp) Speed Channel. Speed Channel originally started as a nostalgia motor racing channel. It was bought by Fox Sports around 2001 and is now shows NASCAR qualifying, reruns of NASCAR races, FIA Formula-1, AMA & FIM motorcycle racing, and Rally races. They fill in the the rest of the programming with other  pretty lame shows. To my knowledge, they quit showing Speed Racer long ago. It's an O.K. channel, but about 80% of their programming is NASCAR related.

I think I have that channel, but I never watch it. :-\\

Written By: Stompgal on 03/11/06 at 4:50 am

There is now a digital channel called Boomerang +1. If you miss a show on Boomerang, you can catch it an hour later on Boomerang +1. Two of the newer cartoons are being shown on Boomerang UK; Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends and Camp Lazlo.

Written By: Apricot on 03/12/06 at 8:35 pm

Quite frankly, I don't like older cartoons.. come to think of it, I don't like current ones either.

I think they neglect them because kids nowadays just don't like them.. the people who really watch those classic cartoons are just those older people who wanna reminisce to their childhood.

Written By: nally on 03/12/06 at 8:56 pm

There is now a digital channel called Boomerang +1. If you miss a show on Boomerang, you can catch it an hour later on Boomerang +1. Two of the newer cartoons are being shown on Boomerang UK; Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends and Camp Lazlo.

...and here in the U.S., I don't even have Boomerang! :-[

My cable company doesn't have it in their lineup.

Written By: Apricot on 03/13/06 at 5:09 am

...and here in the U.S., I don't even have Boomerang! :-[

My cable company doesn't have it in their lineup.

Yeah, you gotta pay extra for that, don't you?

Or, it comes with most Satellite providers...

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/13/06 at 8:12 am

ours comes with our digital cable package.

Written By: nally on 03/13/06 at 10:07 am

I suppose so...but it apparently doesn't appear with our digital lineup. Not even on the extended lineup (channels 100 and above).

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/13/06 at 12:31 pm

I suppose so...but it apparently doesn't appear with our digital lineup. Not even on the extended lineup (channels 100 and above).

what cable company do you have?  We have Armstrong Cable...and we used to have Comcast....and it came with both (with the digital cable).

Written By: nally on 03/13/06 at 4:00 pm

what cable company do you have?  We have Armstrong Cable...and we used to have Comcast....and it came with both (with the digital cable).

Adelphia. :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/13/06 at 9:38 pm

Adelphia. :)

oh ok...there are parts of Pennsylvania that have that particular cable, but I have never had it.

Written By: nally on 03/13/06 at 10:48 pm

oh ok...there are parts of Pennsylvania that have that particular cable, but I have never had it.

Certain parts of the country probably have different cable companies. In California there's also Time Warner, which is prevalent in most parts of the Los Angeles area. Adelphia pretty much covers a good part of Ventura County.

Written By: Skippy(here and there) on 03/14/06 at 2:37 am

I have an analog/digital(C-Band, Ku-Band) satellite system with 19 satellites programmed in at the moment. Slowly but surely much of the programming is switching from analog to digital. It's not a good thing but inevitable. I don't know what is going to be added or taken out of the package I currently use when subscription time rolls around in a few months. Luckily, since I get the feeds straight from the satellites, I have a wide choice of Ala-Carte' programming.
I would assume all cable companies will eventually be forced into digital-only programming. Digital is cheaper to broadcast. Too bad the consumer never gets in on the savings. I think there will always be some analog FTA programming, such as PBS and television network program feeds. But the average consumer will likely be watching only digital around 2010, via an MPEG style receiver.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/14/06 at 2:38 am

I got mad when they stopped airing Looney Toons.  That was the only reason I ever turned that station on. 

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 03/14/06 at 2:44 am

Certain parts of the country probably have different cable companies. In California there's also Time Warner, which is prevalent in most parts of the Los Angeles area. Adelphia pretty much covers a good part of Ventura County.

Up in Northern Cal we have Comcast and another one that I can't grasp the name of right now. Comcast gets the most coverage on TV and has rather inventive commercials. I thought Adelphia was an East Coast thing as my cousins have that in Virginia as well. I guess I learned something new today :0)

Written By: nally on 03/14/06 at 12:46 pm

I got mad when they stopped airing Looney Toons.  That was the only reason I ever turned that station on. 

I'm with you. I wish I could see it on tv again...such classic humor! :D :-[

Check for new replies or respond here...