inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is Rap Fading as a Music Genre?

Written By: Gen_Y_Boi on 01/06/05 at 6:09 pm

....Hi, I'm new to the board and haven't registered yet; but, I have frequented inthe00s.com a lot. My question for all of you decade and pop culture afficianatos...Do you think rap is fading as a music genre?

....I, personally, do. I'm 16, and have gone through the R&B stage, Rock stage, Pop/Rap stage, and now it seems to me...music is actually trying to change again...for the better maybe..I may be misinformed, but, I really do think, by the end of this year, rap is going to be largely a thing of the past.....while this might be more my idealism...than reality....just...think about it for a sec....

Subject: Re: Is Rap Fading as a Music Genre?

Written By: AngeFaitore on 01/06/05 at 6:31 pm

I never went through a rap phase.
I went through Alternative and College Rock, Adult Contemperary, Top 40, 80s and Classic Rock mainly because the radio stations where I live keep changing formats.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 01/06/05 at 10:22 pm

We can only hope...I'd be among the first to wave goodbye to it http://community.the-underdogs.org/smiley/happy/85565.gif

Written By: Powerslave on 01/06/05 at 11:58 pm

I think rap/hip-hop has definitely peaked in so far as it's about as popular as it's ever likely to get. It's a rather generic music form too, so its pretty limited in its creative scope, because there's only so far it can develop, and it's pretty much gone about as far as it can. Whether it's started to fade just yet is hard to say, but it will probably cease to be quite as major a genre as it's been for the last few years after a while.

Written By: 1992thousand on 01/07/05 at 1:02 pm

its not fading as a music genre, though through this last half of the decade it will eventually come back down from the heights its reached the first half. It probably won't stop being a popular music genre though for a long time, partly because rap always changes, like to incorporate singing or influence from other genres.

Written By: Howard on 01/07/05 at 3:13 pm

I think rap has still enough power to keep strong but eventually some music genre is gonna take it's place.

Howard

Written By: Tanya1976 on 01/07/05 at 4:42 pm

I think rap has still enough power to keep strong but eventually some music genre is gonna take it's place.

Howard

I second that.

Tanya

Written By: danootaandme on 01/08/05 at 7:52 am

It will evolve, just as rythmn and blues, jazz, rock and roll, classical etc.  They all are related(like mankind),
in the master plan. ;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/08/05 at 4:58 pm

It will evolve, just as rythmn and blues, jazz, rock and roll, classical etc.  They all are related(like mankind),
in the master plan. ;)

Rap has a lot of potential left in it.  A lot of the rap you hear is the big commerical rap pushed by the man.  The rap Bill O'Reilly's always attacking because it premotes "bad values."  But there is a lot of creativity in the more "electronica" oriented side of "hip-hop."  As a "message" medium, it's one of the best.  The problem is too many of the messages are not worth hearing.  Another problem is it's harder to get record labels to go along with more positive or intellectual rap.  The big guys know the stuff about weed, bling-bling, hoes, guns, gangs, and money SELL.
This is unfortunate.  Grandmaster Flash didn't deliver me a phony message about life in the "ghetto" when I was a kid.  Grandmaster Flash lyrics raised my consciousness
It's too bad 12-year olds associate the 'hood with the 'hood portrayed in rap videos these days.
::)

Written By: MysteryGoat on 01/08/05 at 5:40 pm

I agree with that, however I think people are getting sick of hearing the same crap over and over again.

Written By: Mergal on 01/08/05 at 6:28 pm

I sure hope so (same with hip-hop).

Written By: Howard on 01/08/05 at 7:49 pm

Well,Rap has been around for over 25 years now so it might be fading.

Howard

Written By: Howard on 01/08/05 at 7:50 pm

I agree with that, however I think people are getting sick of hearing the same crap over and over again.

cause it gets redundant. ::)

Howard

Written By: Bobby on 01/09/05 at 10:52 am

I think it's because you rarely hear it called rap anymore. It seems to be split between two genres which do feature the style - R&B and Hip-hop. The only difference I can tell between the two is the subject matter involved (R&B tends to be slow and about love (or at least making it) and Hip-hop tends to be about being a gangster and a tough-guy.

If anyone with knowledge on these genres would like to correct me on this are more than welcome.  :)

Written By: ezbyte on 01/09/05 at 1:48 pm

u guys are sooo wrong. First of all hip-hop is not a type of music, it is a way of life. Hip-Hop is a culture and rap is the dominate music genre in that culture. Hip-Hop has it's own fashion sense,music tastes,dialect, just like other cultures. And as long as their is people that falllow this way of life, hip-hop will never die.

Written By: Bobby on 01/09/05 at 2:15 pm

u guys are sooo wrong. First of all hip-hop is not a type of music, it is a way of life. Hip-Hop is a culture and rap is the dominate music genre in that culture. Hip-Hop has it's own fashion sense,music tastes,dialect, just like other cultures. And as long as their is people that falllow this way of life, hip-hop will never die.

So . . . What does it take to be a part of hip-hop 'culture'?

Written By: McDonald on 01/09/05 at 3:31 pm

Don't get caught up on definitions, they are always changing. The Hip-Hop "culture" is a misnomer. A sub-culture, presumably, like the scenesters, hipsters, emos, mods, new wavers, HIPPIES etc... It's arrogant to assume that any culture will survive "forever." Things change. Not to mention that every cultural "expression" has been capitalised on and whored out by corporations. It's all dead, we need to find some new things and at least attempt to safeguard them from the mainstream. That's why it isn't a question of "will hip-hop/rap/rock/whatever ever die"... they're already dead at their hearts.

Written By: Bobby on 01/09/05 at 8:27 pm

Don't get caught up on definitions, they are always changing. The Hip-Hop "culture" is a misnomer. A sub-culture, presumably, like the scenesters, hipsters, emos, mods, new wavers, HIPPIES etc... It's arrogant to assume that any culture will survive "forever." Things change. Not to mention that every cultural "expression" has been capitalised on and whored out by corporations. It's all dead, we need to find some new things and at least attempt to safeguard them from the mainstream. That's why it isn't a question of "will hip-hop/rap/rock/whatever ever die"... they're already dead at their hearts.

Interesting points there, McDonald.

Written By: Howard on 01/09/05 at 8:36 pm

I think it's because you rarely hear it called rap anymore. It seems to be split between two genres which do feature the style - R&B and Hip-hop. The only difference I can tell between the two is the subject matter involved (R&B tends to be slow and about love (or at least making it) and Hip-hop tends to be about being a gangster and a tough-guy.

If anyone with knowledge on these genres would like to correct me on this are more than welcome.  :)

Rap is hardcore as for R & B it's a little different.

Howard

Written By: Howard on 01/09/05 at 8:37 pm

Where did the term "hip-hop" evolve from? ???

Howard

Written By: tv on 01/09/05 at 10:44 pm

Like it or Not eveybody says that every year that hip-hop is on its death bed. I think it is the most popular genre right now.I am really not a fan today;s hip-hop because I find most of today;s hip-hop generic. Eminem, 50 Cent, Nelly, and Ja-Rule are considered hip-hop so as long as they are around the genre won't die. For the record I don't conside Ja Rule or Nelly to be totally hip-hop artists they are pop in my opinion. 50 Cent and Eminem are borderline pop-rap in my opinion. Then they are also rappers like Kanye West, and Nas that I consider to be real hip-hop that at least get radio spins. I hate to say it but rock music is pretty much the deadest of all genre's. Like Rock Music was dominant with New Wave in the 80's and Alternative in the 90's. You don't see any new rock revolution in the 00's do you?

Written By: AL-B on 01/09/05 at 10:54 pm

I think in 20 years, today's hip-hop fashions (in particular, the whole "lets walk around with our pants pulled halfway down so the whole world can see our butt cracks" thing) will be considered every bit as ridiculous and kitchsy as the absolute worst of 1970's fashion.

Written By: McDonald on 01/10/05 at 1:31 am

Like it or Not eveybody says that every year that hip-hop is on its death bed. I think it is the most popular genre right now.I am really not a fan today;s hip-hop because I find most of today;s hip-hop generic. Eminem, 50 Cent, Nelly, and Ja-Rule are considered hip-hop so as long as they are around the genre won't die. For the record I don't conside Ja Rule or Nelly to be totally hip-hop artists they are pop in my opinion. 50 Cent and Eminem are borderline pop-rap in my opinion. Then they are also rappers like Kanye West, and Nas that I consider to be real hip-hop that at least get radio spins. I hate to say it but rock music is pretty much the deadest of all genre's. Like Rock Music was dominant with New Wave in the 80's and Alternative in the 90's. You don't see any new rock revolution in the 00's do you?

I see a rock movement about... it's called "rock that completely sucks" and it's the rock counterpart of the "rap that completely sucks" phenomenon. These two are also subsidiary movements of the overall "music that completely sucks" movement. It's a disease that has spread through all genres. Rock/rap/good music of any kind doesn't appear to be dead because there are still millions of respective fans buying records and merchandise, but the core of every musical genre is on its last breath because each has been bogarted by big business. Both rock and rap used to have political, social, and artistic motives behind them which have all but disappeared in today's sell sell sell, flavour of the month world of popular music. Even today's "punk rock" is nothing but repackaged teen-pop... Why else should a group of 27 year-old male models sing about the trials of high school? News for everyone: Eminem's a nattering tw@t who's digressed from an edgy white rapper to a self-indulgent megalomaniac, Ja Rule just sucks, and as for the supposed "genius" that is Jay-Z... gimme a break! What is so tactful about "I got 99 problems but a b!tch ain't one"...? Yeah, a genius indeed.

But to be serious about the rock movement thing... there are actually several going on at the moment (emo, hardcore, teen punk) and they all seriously suck. I honestly don't know what happened. And lastly, while commercial rap is doing great business, it's nothing compared to the teen-pop industry. Even the dance music (electronic, techno) that is so popular in the big cities and across Europe is showing unprecedented success that rivals rap. Ever since file-sharing came along, it seems that all the popular genres hold a fairly comparable spot. Most people these days don't subscribe entirely to any particular genre. I don't, even though I have a soft spot for what they're presently calling "Classic Alternative" (new wave, post-punk, ska, synthpop, new romantic) which is mostly 80s music.

Written By: Chrisrj on 01/10/05 at 8:30 am

Most(but not all) rap today is full of 'get da girl, bling bling, she got game' stuff that makes themselves look silly.
When I was younger, I loved rap, it was at its peak(this was during the gangsta rap era of 92-95).  The thing is, when I was young, I also thought that people who hated rap(there were a few I knew) were bashing black people.  Now, I decided that hating a certain type of music isn't hating a certain type of people; after all, when you get down to it, it's all just MUSIC.  White people should rap, and black people should rock, if either of them wants to.  And let's not forget asians and latinos, and everyone else.  I hope I'm not offending anyone.

I think nowadays, people are just making music just for the thrill of making music.  They're not trying to have a big revolution, they're just trying to have fun, but I could be wrong about that.  Personally, I think most music's still good enough to listen to, but I am tired of punk-pop and rap-pop.  A new sound would be cool, but they shouldn't stick to it.

And I don't care if someone writes the song for someone to perform.  There are good songwriters who can't, or don't choose to sing; and there are good singers who don't fancy themselves as song-writers(I suck at both :-P ).  This makes things work.

And the sagging pants trend SERIOUSLY needs to die.  It was fine throughout 94-97, but now it's just stupid.  It makes them look "outdated". 

Written By: Howard on 01/10/05 at 6:27 pm

I think in 20 years, today's hip-hop fashions (in particular, the whole "lets walk around with our pants pulled halfway down so the whole world can see our butt cracks" thing) will be considered every bit as ridiculous and kitchsy as the absolute worst of 1970's fashion.

people in 2025 will wonder why having your pants all the way down to your buttcracks was considered a fashion craze. ;D

Howard

Written By: Howard on 01/10/05 at 6:28 pm

I think rap might stay on the scene for a long time.

Howard

Written By: Miss Tainted on 01/10/05 at 6:40 pm

I think rap might stay on the scene for a long time.

Howard

I agree  :)

Written By: Howard on 01/10/05 at 6:42 pm

I agree  :)

we will see how long rap can last.I'm thinking for another 10 years or so.

Howard

Written By: marthadtox3 on 01/10/05 at 6:52 pm

Legal definitions????

"Although this Court does not hold itself as a music industry expert and most of what it knows on the subject was gleaned from the testimony of the witnesses at the hearing on plaintiffs' application, it appears that there are at least three variations of what is referred to as "rap" music. The first is traditional "rap" which encompasses primarily lyrical rhyming with a secondary emphasis on a musical background. The second variation is "hip-hop" which focuses primarily on the musical component of songs which are up-beat and have a high tempo and rhythm. The third variation, which is the subject of the music at issue in the case at bar, is "gangster rap." This form of rap music combines the high tempo music of "hip-hop" with the lyrical rhyming of rap and appears to focus on themes which may be associated with gang cultures and might include the use of profanity, depictions of violence, and/or anti-law enforcement messages"

Written By: Howard on 01/10/05 at 6:54 pm

Legal definitions????

"Although this Court does not hold itself as a music industry expert and most of what it knows on the subject was gleaned from the testimony of the witnesses at the hearing on plaintiffs' application, it appears that there are at least three variations of what is referred to as "rap" music. The first is traditional "rap" which encompasses primarily lyrical rhyming with a secondary emphasis on a musical background. The second variation is "hip-hop" which focuses primarily on the musical component of songs which are up-beat and have a high tempo and rhythm. The third variation, which is the subject of the music at issue in the case at bar, is "gangster rap." This form of rap music combines the high tempo music of "hip-hop" with the lyrical rhyming of rap and appears to focus on themes which may be associated with gang cultures and might include the use of profanity, depictions of violence, and/or anti-law enforcement messages"

That's a good story Martha. :)

Howard

Written By: woops on 01/10/05 at 10:10 pm

So . . . What does it take to be a part of hip-hop 'culture'?

I grew up around the "hip hop culture", though I didn't adapt to it. I think it's the type of music & style that the person follow like punk or heavy metal.

Written By: Howard on 01/11/05 at 5:12 pm

I myself grew up during the hip hop era but I never was attached to it.I listened to it but after my favorite JamminOldies station changed their format to a rap sound,I got turned off by it. >:(

Howard

Written By: AngeFaitore on 01/11/05 at 6:34 pm

The Beastie Boys are the only true rap left. They remind me of the rap back in the 80s and early 90s. Cheesy fun with a message.
I love that they aren't afraid to be nerds, either (The Star Trek parody in Ch-Ch-Check It Out is priceless). 

Written By: Howard on 01/11/05 at 6:46 pm

there's not much rap left in this world these days.How many of the true old school rap artists are still around these days? ???

Howard

Written By: Tanya1976 on 01/11/05 at 9:50 pm

The Beastie Boys are the only true rap left. They remind me of the rap back in the 80s and early 90s. Cheesy fun with a message.
I love that they aren't afraid to be nerds, either (The Star Trek parody in Ch-Ch-Check It Out is priceless). 

The Beastie Boys are no longer true rap. They morphed into some alternative rap machine. We know it and they know it.

LL Cool J has a new record around.

Tanya

Written By: Howard on 01/12/05 at 4:53 pm

Well,a whole load of young guys and girls are coming onto the rap scene every year so maybe within the next few years or so,rap will become bigger.

Howard

Written By: Gen_Y_Boi on 01/12/05 at 7:05 pm

Well,a whole load of young guys and girls are coming onto the rap scene every year so maybe within the next few years or so,rap will become bigger.

Howard

Not necessarily. I'm a 16-year-old who goes to one of the most uninformed high schools on earth, and I can tell you that rap is most definitely fading. A lot of what's starting to be trendy is either the punk rock/alt/emo scene and the pop/soft-progressive rock scene. And is become every day a more sub subculture.....Just give it, perhaps, a year.

Written By: Bobby on 01/12/05 at 7:08 pm

I grew up around the "hip hop culture", though I didn't adapt to it. I think it's the type of music & style that the person follow like punk or heavy metal.

Yes, I suppose it's also a frame of mind.

Written By: Howard on 01/13/05 at 6:05 pm

Not necessarily. I'm a 16-year-old who goes to one of the most uninformed high schools on earth, and I can tell you that rap is most definitely fading. A lot of what's starting to be trendy is either the punk rock/alt/emo scene and the pop/soft-progressive rock scene. And is become every day a more sub subculture.....Just give it, perhaps, a year.

Yeah I agree Gen.about a year or 2. :)

Howard

Written By: tv on 01/16/05 at 2:14 pm

It's a disease that has spread through all genres. Rock/rap/good music of any kind doesn't appear to be dead because there are still millions of respective fans buying records and merchandise, but the core of every musical genre is on its last breath because each has been bogarted by big business. Both rock and rap used to have political, social, and artistic motives behind them which have all but disappeared in today's sell sell sell, flavour of the month world of popular music. Even today's "punk rock" is nothing but repackaged teen-pop...

But to be serious about the rock movement thing... there are actually several going on at the moment (emo, hardcore, teen punk) and they all seriously suck. I honestly don't know what happened. And lastly, while commercial rap is doing great business, it's nothing compared to the teen-pop industry. Even the dance music (electronic, techno) that is so popular in the big cities and across Europe is showing unprecedented success that rivals rap. Ever since file-sharing came along, it seems that all the popular genres hold a fairly comparable spot. Most people these days don't subscribe entirely to any particular genre. I don't, even though I have a soft spot for what they're presently calling "Classic Alternative" (new wave, post-punk, ska, synthpop, new romantic) which is mostly 80s music.
On the today;s "sel sell sell" flavor of the month issue that can be attribted to to MTV going for teens mainly for its music listening audience and also the telecommunications radio act of 1996. The telecommuncications act of 96 radio got more into a pop format meaning if an artist wants to hit it big the song must have a catchy beat or lyrics(that means the lyrics may not have the best meaning but its catchy and the song gets into your head.) Also the radio act of 96 allowed radio operators to own a whole load of stations(there used to be limit on a how many stations a radio operator could own before 96.) I don't think teen-pop is a big business right now(maybe 4-5 years ago in the US at least.) All US radio plays is R&B/Hip-Hop anymore. The dance scene in Europe which you mentioned in your post is basically dead in the US currently. Dance Music was pretty big in the 70's(Disco) 80(Pop/R&B), and even up to the mid 90's with the club music music thing in the US. Somewhere around 97-98 is when the whole dance music in the US fell off radio mainstream totally. I think dance music falling off the radar but can be attributed to maybe mainstream hip-hop taking over a danceable art form in my opinion getting big in the US in 97. Remember the East-West Coast thing with rap music with Biggie and Tupac's deaths in mid 96/late 97 maybe canbe attributed to  keading rap music to the mainstream. After Biggie's death Puff Daddy hit it big with "I'll Be Missing You" which sampled The Poilice's 1983 hit "Every Breath You Take". Ever since that song hit big in 97 Commercial hip-hop was off to the races to being a big business in the music industry.

As for what people listen too I myself don't prefer one musical genre over another. I like 80's Pop/R&B, 80's News Wave, 90's R&b/Dance and 90's alternative rock. I like some 90's rap but not like a whole lot of it.

Written By: McDonald on 01/16/05 at 6:08 pm

On the today;s "sel sell sell" flavor of the month issue that can be attribted to to MTV going for teens mainly for its music listening audience and also the telecommunications radio act of 1996. The telecommuncications act of 96 radio got more into a pop format meaning if an artist wants to hit it big the song must have a catchy beat or lyrics(that means the lyrics may not have the best meaning but its catchy and the song gets into your head.) Also the radio act of 96 allowed radio operators to own a whole load of stations(there used to be limit on a how many stations a radio operator could own before 96.) I don't think teen-pop is a big business right now(maybe 4-5 years ago in the US at least.) All US radio plays is R&B/Hip-Hop anymore. The dance scene in Europe which you mentioned in your post is basically dead in the US currently. Dance Music was pretty big in the 70's(Disco) 80(Pop/R&B), and even up to the mid 90's with the club music music thing in the US. Somewhere around 97-98 is when the whole dance music in the US fell off radio mainstream totally. I think dance music falling off the radar but can be attributed to maybe mainstream hip-hop taking over a danceable art form in my opinion getting big in the US in 97. Remember the East-West Coast thing with rap music with Biggie and Tupac's deaths in mid 96/late 97 maybe canbe attributed to  keading rap music to the mainstream. After Biggie's death Puff Daddy hit it big with "I'll Be Missing You" which sampled The Poilice's 1983 hit "Every Breath You Take". Ever since that song hit big in 97 Commercial hip-hop was off to the races to being a big business in the music industry.

The conglomerates definitely screw things up for everyone. When you blame MTV for something, you're not really blaming MTV, you're blaming the company that owns MTV and about a hundreds of other media (Viacom). Clear Channel and Infinity Broadcasting are the two major radio conglomerates who own almost every radio station anywhere (I'm hyperbolising a little). Commercialisation and corporate hijacking is art's #1 enemy.

Dance/Electronic thrives in metropolitan areas even in the U.S. NY, LA, Chicago, Dallas, Houston, Miami, San Francisco, etc... each have club districts where the techno scene still rules. The larger the city, the larger the scene. Nothing like what it is in Europe, but nonetheless, it is a successful genre.

Hip-hop is undeniably successful, but I maintain that since the advent of file-sharing, no genre holds a near-monopoly anymore. One cannot judge by the pop charts any longer, for people are not buying their music as much as they are downloading and burning. Every genre has pockets of fans in every community, and ever still there are the majority of people who are eclectic in tastes.

Written By: Howard on 01/16/05 at 8:46 pm

I think hip-hop will continue to be around just as long as the artists are bringing in the money.

Howard

Check for new replies or respond here...