inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What is your favorite US State and why?

Written By: GWBush2004 on 01/09/05 at 10:02 am

I'm still thinking about it, it's between four choices for me.

As for the poll, I just put some of the more popular ones, but I got a feeling other may win.

Subject: Re: What is your favorite US State and why?

Written By: Bobby on 01/09/05 at 10:29 am

Oh dear. I'm setting myself up here . . .  ::)

I have never been to America (love to one day) and of all the places that I would like to go, Florida stands out for me as one I would love to go to first.

Written By: Alchoholica on 01/09/05 at 10:35 am

Well Bob.. i drove down to Florida with my friend Matt and i must say that some of the states we drove through to get there had much nicer scenery and the people were friendlier. GW's home state of Georgia is amazing.. Tennesse.. South Carolina.. all great. Florida is fine for beaches and Spanish history.. there is other good stuff there but it is a major tourist trap.

My favourite state is the state of Missouri.. for obvious reasons.

Written By: Bobby on 01/09/05 at 10:43 am

Well Bob.. i drove down to Florida with my friend Matt and i must say that some of the states we drove through to get there had much nicer scenery and the people were friendlier. GW's home state of Georgia is amazing.. Tennesse.. South Carolina.. all great. Florida is fine for beaches and Spanish history.. there is other good stuff there but it is a major tourist trap.

Well, as you say, it's a tourist trap and if I went there, I guess I would be a tourist.  ;D

Written By: Alchoholica on 01/09/05 at 10:44 am

well a lot of people that go there are.. i mean that it is very easy to get ripped off

Written By: Bobby on 01/09/05 at 10:47 am

well a lot of people that go there are.. i mean that it is very easy to get ripped off

Tourists are quite often ignorant to the way the countries they visit work. I would be one of them.  :-\\

Written By: Alchoholica on 01/09/05 at 10:49 am

I took a friend from the states to an away game in Derby.. this is of course as a Leicester fan.. he didn't fully understand that shouting at each other during the game was ok.. but after was bad.

He really wanted to parade around with his Leicester shirt on.. eventually i managed to get him to do his coat up... could have been bad

Written By: Bobby on 01/09/05 at 10:54 am

I took a friend from the states to an away game in Derby.. this is of course as a Leicester fan.. he didn't fully understand that shouting at each other during the game was ok.. but after was bad.

He really wanted to parade around with his Leicester shirt on.. eventually i managed to get him to do his coat up... could have been bad

Lol. Yeah he could have had his head kicked in. The only time patriotism seems to be an issue in Britain is when Football is involved.  ;D

Written By: Alchoholica on 01/09/05 at 10:55 am

Yeah tis about it.

Could start a team song topic  ???

Written By: Bobby on 01/09/05 at 11:10 am

Yeah tis about it.

Could start a team song topic  ???

I guess. It would have to incorporate American football team songs otherwise there wouldn't be too much response.  ;)

Written By: Alchoholica on 01/09/05 at 11:13 am

I know one for an aussie rules side...

Good old collingwood forever,
We know how to play the game,
Side by side we stick together,
To uphold the magpies name,
See the barrackers a'shouting,
As all barrackers should,
Oh, the premierships a cake-walk,
For the good old Collingwood!!!

Good old Collingwood forever
They know how to play the game
Side by side they stick together
To uphold the Magpies name
See the barrackers a' shouting
As all barrackers should
Oh, the premierships a cakewalk
For the good old Collingwood!

Written By: sputnikcorp on 01/09/05 at 11:20 am

i have relations who live in colorado. the state is beautiful so thats my pick.

Written By: AL-B on 01/09/05 at 11:32 am

i have relations who live in colorado. the state is beautiful so thats my pick.
After traveling extensively through the lower 48 states (only states I haven't been to are Maine and Vermont), I narrowed it down to three: Oregon, Minnesota, and Tennessee. The Pacific Northwest is my favorite region (and I have a brother who lives there), so I'm going with Oregon.

Written By: Jessica on 01/09/05 at 1:21 pm

North Carolina

I visited there once and I'm hooked. I want to leave this cr*ppy state and move to NC. It's beautiful over there and the people are so friendly. :)

Written By: GWBush2004 on 01/09/05 at 1:37 pm

GW's home state of Georgia is amazing.. Tennesse.. South Carolina.. all great.

Hey thanks.

Notice the trend?  All the states you listed are southern states, Al-B had Tennessee on his short list, and Jessica said North Carolina.  Seems the south is dominating.

I can't pick between Tennessee, Georgia, Utah, and Alaska...each for multiple reasons.

Written By: Alchoholica on 01/09/05 at 1:55 pm

If you like nature, scenery.. go to the south.. if you like citys go to the northeast.. actually thats a dumb thing to say there is amazing scenery all over the place.. but say you go to Oregon or something.. amazing scenery but to go from one place to another takes a month lol

Written By: Bobby on 01/09/05 at 2:18 pm

Seems like a very posh place, GWBush.  :)

Written By: Alchoholica on 01/09/05 at 2:39 pm

The pictures were all taken in 2002 or so it says.. so that would explain why your ex-neighbours house is still there

Written By: GWBush2004 on 01/09/05 at 2:45 pm

The pictures were all taken in 2002 or so it says.. so that would explain why your ex-neighbours house is still there

Oh, okay.  That explains it.

Written By: AL-B on 01/09/05 at 2:52 pm

Here is a great site for Americans: http://terraserver-usa.com/default.aspx.  Sorry, they only do this for people in the United States of America.  Anyway they give you an actual satillite image of your house, they can do it for free for anyone in America.  All you have to do is click the link, type in your address, city, and state on the left hand side of the screen, and there you go.  Some of the pictures are pretty old, so you may not reconize your house.
Hey, that's pretty cool!

Written By: McDonald on 01/09/05 at 3:08 pm

I've never been to California, so I can't say anything about it. But I have lived many years in NY, TX, and FL and out of the three, Texas is the only one I have despised. I lived in Sarasota, FL which is a city I still love, and I lived in the Adirondack area of Upstate NY, which is very beautiful. I didn't vote because I don't have a favourite state... I have a couple of least-favourites though.

Written By: Wolveroses on 01/09/05 at 3:21 pm

Michigan
Rhode Island

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/09/05 at 5:45 pm

Florida

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/09/05 at 6:52 pm

Hey thanks.

Notice the trend?  All the states you listed are southern states, Al-B had Tennessee on his short list, and Jessica said North Carolina.  Seems the south is dominating.

I can't pick between Tennessee, Georgia, Utah, and Alaska...each for multiple reasons.

This is pathetic.  I'm sorry.
I can't vote in such a pole because I don't see states as monoliths, like one part, like all.  A lot of the local cultures that made different states special, regional distinctions from the Cajuns of Louisiana to the Yankees of Maine are becoming homogenized by the "malling" of America.  I love Massuchesetts because it's home, because of its geography, and because of its unique cultural heritage.  However, I couldn't be more frustrated with the corrupt and dysfunctional governance of the state. 
Above, all GWB, I don't like your motivation for posting this dopy poll.  You are trying to lionize the South and demonize California and the Northeast.  It's just another way of doing the tiresome things you always do.

Written By: Dagwood on 01/09/05 at 7:09 pm

I think it is a toss up between Wyoming and Utah.  I don't know what it is about Wyoming, I just love it there and Utah is a good state to live in.  Our state taxes suck, but it is a pretty friendly place to live.  Plus it is gorgeous...we have mountains, snow and redrock deserts.  Plus there are the Salt Flats.  It is cool to drive west on I-80 and all around you is white, not desert sand but salt white. 

Written By: RockandRollFan on 01/09/05 at 7:52 pm

Colorado...Garden Of The Gods, where Blaine & I used to run, with 14,110 ft. Pikes Peak in the background.
http://www.pikespeakcam.com/images/submitted/PPcloseup.jpg

Written By: fragswife on 01/09/05 at 7:57 pm

Colorado...Garden Of The Gods, where Blaine & I used to run, with 14,110 ft. Pikes Peak in the background.

Looks beautiful Mark.

I chose California because my aunt lives there.  I'm Canadian so don't know the US that well.

Written By: Howard on 01/09/05 at 8:12 pm

New York(The best city in the world.) :)

Howard

Written By: AL-B on 01/09/05 at 11:06 pm

A lot of the local cultures that made different states special, regional distinctions from the Cajuns of Louisiana to the Yankees of Maine are becoming homogenized by the "malling" of America. 
I agree with this. When I was trucking cross-country, I was disappointed at how many chain truckstops (Petro, TA, Pilot, and Flying J) served the same food in their restaurants no matter what part of the country they were in. I always made an effort to try and find "mom and pop" truckstops which offered more regional dishes but unfortunately these places are becoming increasingly rare since the major chains have been buying them out. (Now that I am with Yellow and run pretty much regular routes, a lot of the older drivers I've been riding with have been showing me where all of the really good roadside cafes are, so that's pretty cool. :))

Written By: Miss Tainted on 01/10/05 at 2:01 am

For me It's definitely Florida well...Because I live there and it's been awesome so far

Written By: bj26 on 01/10/05 at 7:27 am

Colorado, cause it was nice when we lived there from '84 to '88.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 01/10/05 at 1:30 pm

This is pathetic.  I'm sorry.
I can't vote in such a pole because I don't see states as monoliths, like one part, like all.  A lot of the local cultures that made different states special, regional distinctions from the Cajuns of Louisiana to the Yankees of Maine are becoming homogenized by the "malling" of America.  I love Massuchesetts because it's home, because of its geography, and because of its unique cultural heritage.  However, I couldn't be more frustrated with the corrupt and dysfunctional governance of the state. 
Above, all GWB, I don't like your motivation for posting this dopy poll.  You are trying to lionize the South and demonize California and the Northeast.  It's just another way of doing the tiresome things you always do.

Oh for Christ's sake.  This thread was for fun, no other reason, though I did point out the trend of people picking states in the south.  I didn't say anything about red states or blue states, just that the south had a lot of people picking it.

As for states not be different, that is absurd.  From laws, climate, wealth, culture, religion, terrain, size, rural vs. urban, every state couldn't be more different.  I simply asked which is your favorite state.  Don't give me the garbage that everyone is neutral on which state they would like to live.

Now that I think about it, I'm surprised no one has said Hawaii.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/10/05 at 2:37 pm

Oh for Christ's sake.  This thread was for fun, no other reason, though I did point out the trend of people picking states in the south.  I didn't say anything about red states or blue states, just that the south had a lot of people picking it.

You're not fooling anyone, you know.

As for states not be different, that is absurd.  From laws, climate, wealth, culture, religion, terrain, size, rural vs. urban, every state couldn't be more different.  I simply asked which is your favorite state.  Don't give me the garbage that everyone is neutral on which state they would like to live.

Now that I think about it, I'm surprised no one has said Hawaii.

Actually, regional differences are less pronounced than they used to be, even 20 or 30 years ago, but they're still very strong.  I'm sure Mississippi is beautiful, but I wouldn't want to live there!

Written By: neebs25 on 01/10/05 at 3:16 pm

I choose my home state of Michigan, although southern michigan is mostly urban, up north is beautiful.  Also, our great lakes really are great!  Would love to take a trip out west and see more of the US.  Particularly Oregon and Alaska :)

Written By: Apricot on 01/10/05 at 3:54 pm

I love Oregon and Maine... you ever seen them? fudgeing beautiful.

Written By: neebs25 on 01/10/05 at 4:14 pm

I love Oregon and Maine... you ever seen them? flippin' beautiful.

I would love to see both.  My dad worked for a lumber company in the late 60s replanting trees in areas cleared out.  Ive seen pictures and they are breath-taking. :o

Written By: danootaandme on 01/10/05 at 6:00 pm

This is like picking your favorite song, or food, or whatever.  If you have one favorite then you haven't
tried much.  I have been from east coast to west and find so much beauty in all of it that there isn't
any way I can say one is better than the other. People tend to love that place they feel most comfortable,
and I am very comfortable. ;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/10/05 at 6:09 pm

I choose my home state of Michigan, although southern michigan is mostly urban, up north is beautiful.  Also, our great lakes really are great!  Would love to take a trip out west and see more of the US.  Particularly Oregon and Alaska :)

I'd love to see the U.P. someday.  I've seen magnificent photos of the scenery.  It's pretty rough in the winter up there between the lakes. Heluva lot of snow.  I heard of students at Marquette climbing out of second story windows and snowshoing to class.
Why is the U.P. part of Michigan rather than Wisconsin, the state to which it is attached?

Written By: AL-B on 01/10/05 at 10:39 pm

I was checking out that website http://terraserver-usa.com/default.aspx and the last aerial photos of Lincoln, NE were taken on April 17, 2002. At the time I was working at a job where I parked my car on a huge lot at a former Air Force base northwest of Lincoln, and after looking carefully I'm about 95% sure I found my car. I also found my uncle's house, which is about 7 miles west of Mandan, ND. This is the coolest website I've seen in a long time. Thanks, GW!  :)

Written By: Indy Gent on 01/10/05 at 11:17 pm

Indiana, because I live here. ;)

Written By: Bobby on 01/11/05 at 4:55 am

You're not fooling anyone, you know.
Actually, regional differences are less pronounced than they used to be, even 20 or 30 years ago, but they're still very strong.  I'm sure Mississippi is beautiful, but I wouldn't want to live there!

Nice one, Max.  ;D

Written By: nally on 01/11/05 at 9:02 am

California...that's where I've lived my whole life. :)

Written By: GWBush2004 on 01/11/05 at 9:08 am

Okay....who voted for Texas?

Written By: Howard on 01/11/05 at 5:03 pm

Ok,why does it say that this poll had closed on December 31st,1969? :o

It closed 36 years ago? ;D

Howard

Written By: Alchoholica on 01/12/05 at 6:25 am

I thought it was a clever thing to do with Alaska and Hawai joining the Union but that was '59...

Written By: Jennifer028 on 01/12/05 at 9:39 am

ARIZONA- I live in Texas now but I am from AZ.  I love it there, its so pretty and so much to do.  I'm from Northren AZ where it snows and the air is so clean.  A little town called Flagstaff  :)

Written By: kimmers on 01/12/05 at 11:45 am

Of course I had to go with my home state of New Mexico.  No matter how many times I leave I always come back because it truly is the "Land of Enchantment".

A very close second would have to be North Carolina followed again by Colorado.  If I absolutely couldn't live in NM, it would be either of those two.

Written By: Howard on 01/12/05 at 4:45 pm

I also like to say Florida cause it's warm down there.

Howard

Written By: williamsportian on 01/13/05 at 10:20 am

I like Oregon, Wahington, Tennesee, and all of the New England states. I love the woods and mountains in those states.
Laura

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/13/05 at 10:33 am

I like Oregon, Wahington, Tennesee, and all of the New England states. I love the woods and mountains in those states.
Laura

"Ayyyuhhh Love New Hampshah!"
--wicked good bumpah stickah.

You know who used to have the same Chief Wiggum avatar as you have?  The guy who started this thread.
;)

Written By: jaytee on 01/13/05 at 9:18 pm

I chose California because I have relatives there.  I also have dozens of relatives in Idaho (Boise) and have seen a video of the scenery in Idaho.  Certainly was spectacular.

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 01/14/05 at 6:26 am

California

Why ?

If you don't know, you haven't been here long enough  ;D  :P :P :P

Written By: mandamoo on 01/16/05 at 1:56 am

I've never really thought about it but as I have friends living and working in Virginia at the moment, I'll say there 'cause I'd love to see them  :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/16/05 at 1:04 pm

I have lived in 8 states and visited many others (haven't been to ALL of them YET!). But, I have to say that I live in the best one of all, Vermont. The scenery, 4 seasons, and the clean air are only a part of why I love this state. There is a saying here: As long as you don't do it in the streets and scare the horses. Sure we have our problems like any other state but most Vermonters (and it doesn't matter what city/town they live in) feel a connection to other Vermonters. Our repersentives-both at the state level and nation level are very approachable. They are our neighbors and they treat us as such, too. We also have a very low crime rate in the state, too. That is the short answer of why I love this state so much.

Cat

Written By: Zella on 01/16/05 at 9:11 pm

Ohio. Just because. :)

Written By: saratoga954 on 01/21/05 at 7:28 pm

South Carolina!... Because I had lived here my whole life and i love it  :)

Written By: AL-B on 01/21/05 at 10:26 pm

I have lived in 8 states and visited many others (haven't been to ALL of them YET!). But, I have to say that I live in the best one of all, Vermont. The scenery, 4 seasons, and the clean air are only a part of why I love this state. There is a saying here: As long as you don't do it in the streets and scare the horses. Sure we have our problems like any other state but most Vermonters (and it doesn't matter what city/town they live in) feel a connection to other Vermonters. Our repersentives-both at the state level and nation level are very approachable. They are our neighbors and they treat us as such, too. We also have a very low crime rate in the state, too. That is the short answer of why I love this state so much.

Cat
Vermont and Maine are the only 2 states (in the lower 48) that I haven't been to. I've always wanted to go up there, maybe in a couple of years when I get some vacation time built up I'll do an East Coast tour.

Written By: shiprunner12 on 01/22/05 at 11:13 am

Colorado -- Because it has some of they best scenery in the country. Also, the Denver Broncos are from there.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/22/05 at 11:46 am

Vermont and Maine are the only 2 states (in the lower 48) that I haven't been to. I've always wanted to go up there, maybe in a couple of years when I get some vacation time built up I'll do an East Coast tour.

Come on up. Most of the time it is beautiful here-but right now we are in a very cold snap-it was down to -20 last night.  :o But, you find that in most states along the northern corridor.

Cat

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 02/11/05 at 8:14 am

Ohio. Just because. :)

The pictures I have seen make it look lovely  :)

Check for new replies or respond here...