inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Why does MTV still kiss up to Madonna & Michael Jackson?

Written By: woops on 01/12/05 at 9:07 pm

There's many bands artists from the last 25 years that are still putting out great material, though not always on the "spoltlight" like Madonna & Michael Jackson, whom both hadn't putten out a good song since the dawn of the '90's, IMO, and are more popular for being popular tabloid targets.  :P

The only other band I an think of that MTV/VH1 still kisses up to, but still make great music, is U2.

Not to mention U2's recent  "How To Build An Atomic Bomb" is 10s, if not 100, times better than all of MJ & Madonna's albums since 1992 combined and most of today's artists. 

For Madonna: She went from trend setter to trend follower who would try to get attention with today's pop culture

Michael Jackson...enough said.  :P

Subject: Re: Why does MTV still kiss up to Madonna & Michael Jackson?

Written By: Tanya1976 on 01/13/05 at 12:31 am

You would too if your current lineup sucked!

Tanya

Written By: AngeFaitore on 01/13/05 at 8:14 am

Because they were the Queen and King of MTV (More like MTV royalty than Pop royalty) when MTV was in its prime. 

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/13/05 at 10:13 am

Because they are still considered to to be great by some people.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/13/05 at 10:35 am

It's still better than when they show hot teenage girls in hot tubs, which I have no interest in unless I get to be in the hot tub too!
:-X

Written By: AngeFaitore on 01/13/05 at 12:35 pm

Because they are still considered to to be great by some people.

Or they USED to be great until they became messed up.

Written By: Howard on 01/13/05 at 4:59 pm

Esther uh...Madonna and Michael Jackson used to be cool back in the days but hardly anyone cares.I guess is because both of them are still popular with the fans. ???

Howard

Written By: 1992thousand on 01/14/05 at 5:37 pm

dave chapelle said it best

He made Thriller(pause)...Thriller

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/14/05 at 5:40 pm

And everything went downhill after Bad and Dangerous.....  ::)  ;D

Written By: Kass on 01/15/05 at 8:59 am

They are both from the Golden Age of MTV, which was most of the 80s.  They both defined MTV in that era.

Madonna I can still understand, but kissing up to Michael Jackson makes NO SENSE at all.  He has just gotten way too weird over the years, not to mention all his sex charges. 

Written By: RockandRollFan on 01/15/05 at 10:14 pm

Because they are a desperate network that has SUCKED since around 1991....like most "Music"....which BTW, is a part of thier name they should change because they hardly ever paly music anymore. A suggestion for a new name....NMTV....No Music Television, or a personal Favorite....YO! MTV Sucks!

Written By: woops on 01/16/05 at 1:20 am

IMO, MTV 'jumped' in 1998

And it's Mornic TV since then...  ::) :P

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 01/16/05 at 1:48 am

Do kids today really like all the beach parties and reality TV they keep showing on MTV since the mid 90s?  I guess since it's been going on for about 10 years or so now, kids today wouldn't know of an MTV without all these useless beach volleyball parties or something like Real World.  I was still something of a kid and in MTV's key under 21 demographic when this crap started a decade ago, I was an older teenager and I remember I hated it when it began.

Written By: Howard on 01/16/05 at 9:17 pm

I guess they still have fans while they're still alive. ::)

Howard

Written By: Robbo on 02/03/05 at 3:32 am

I'd disagree on Michael Jackson not making any good music since Dangerous. Ya'll heard HIStory or Invincible? HIStory had some masterpieces, and Invincible was just classic MJ with some very dangerously bad tunes. Ya'll can remember "Rock My World" right? From 2001? That was as good, if not better than Billie Jean, Thriller, Bad, Smooth Criminal, The Way You Make Me Feel and all the other classics that the critics say were his peak years.
I don't see MTV kissing Michael's ass anyway? Since when? MTV hate michael, VH1 hate Michael and it's all because he outsold Elvis and The Beatles and white American can't stand black people becoming more successful then white people.  

Check for new replies or respond here...