inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Favourite British County

Written By: karen on 01/13/05 at 3:50 am

Just to even things up a little and refelect the true international make up of the boards

Subject: Re: Favourite British County

Written By: Bobby on 01/13/05 at 4:59 am

I would like to be in Manchester - especially to go to The Trafford Centre.  :)

So that would be other - lancashire.

Written By: Alchoholica on 01/13/05 at 5:55 am

Well i selected Leicestershire on a football related basis only.. however if you wanna talk about looks then maybe some of the slightly northern counties. I couldn't say just one.

Written By: bj26 on 01/13/05 at 6:47 am

I'll say Yorkshire if that's where York is, because it was beautiful and I had fun there!

Written By: Paul on 01/13/05 at 7:19 am

Devon...and Cornwall (as long as it isn't raining...!)

If only a short haul, Sussex has some great scenery - The Kent/Sussex Weald being quite superb...

But for some top scenery, you can't beat The Dales, The Peak District, or Scotland*

(* Try not to talk to the natives, tho'...!!)

Written By: karen on 01/13/05 at 7:29 am

But for some top scenery, you can't beat The Dales, The Peak District, or Scotland*

(* Try not to talk to the natives, tho'...!!)

Well you can talk to them but you might not understand the reply!

Written By: goodsin on 01/13/05 at 7:51 am

I'd go for Dyfed (South West Wales) as I spent my childhood there, beautiful countryside, especially the beaches. I also like Gloucestershire, spent most of my adult life there- again, beautiful, verdant hills, but Stroud in particular has a very high concentration of artists, poets, and alternative thinkers, and is a wonderful place to visit if you want some alternative culture in beautiful surroundings.  8)

I'll just comment on a place which I think is the antithesis of Stroud- my current town, Swindon, which is devoid of culture, countryside & agreeable architecture, but full of aggresive breadheads. I also noted above that Karen included Bridgend; I personally hate that place, it's full of bad memories for me, as my estranged partner & mother of my child comes from there- very apt name, as in British folklore, most trolls live at the end of a bridge! A lot of people who live in Bridgend are snobs (not an attitude frequently seen amongst the Welsh), despite living in a run-down, ugly, dirty town- another trait I despise. Luckily, I only have to visit there once every 3 months now, to collect my daughter when she's in the country, but the place disgusts me every time I visit. :P

I quite like Swansea, too. Even though it's only 25 miles from Bridgend, it has some great architecture, a sandy beach, and good nightlife. My housemates & I frequently visit Swansea if we're going for a night out, it's 110 miles from our house, but so far superior to going out in Swindon. Swindon is full of theme pubs, some of which you have to pay to get into, all of which have fleets of obnoxious bouncers, who will beat you up if you look sideways at them, or behave in any way that indicates you might be enjoying yourself. Also most of the women in Swindon consider it a criminal offence for you to approach them to talk to them, or are only interested in the size of your wallet. Swansea, on the other hand, has a much more liberal approach by pubs & clubs, the bouncers seem to be there to protect rather than intimidate people, plus it's chock-full of women who seem absent of the 'head up a**' attitude of Swindon women. Well worth the extra distance travelled, plus you can walk on the beach the day after to clear your head! :)

Written By: karen on 01/13/05 at 7:56 am

I also noted above that Karen included Bridgend; I personally hate that place, it's full of bad memories for me, as my estranged partner & mother of my child comes from there- very apt name, as in British folklore, most trolls live at the end of a bridge! A lot of people who live in Bridgend are snobs (not an attitude frequently seen amongst the Welsh), despite living in a run-down, ugly, dirty town- another trait I despise. Luckily, I only have to visit there once every 3 months now, to collect my daughter when she's in the country, but the place disgusts me every time I visit. :P

I included Bridgend because that's apparently now the name of the county my husband was born in.  Though he'd probably still write Mid Glamorgan.  Not that familiar with the town itself.  The nearest we go to is McArthur Glen (sp?) when we visit his parents.

Written By: mrgazpacho on 01/13/05 at 8:33 am

For some reason I just had the urge to sing "How Are Things In Mid Glamorgan?"  to the tune of How Are Things In Glocca Mora :D

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/13/05 at 10:00 am

My favourite County in England in Middlesex, as of the cricket team I follow.

Written By: maddog on 01/13/05 at 1:58 pm

Karen, you have incurred my wrath  >:( by relegating LANCASHIRE, the county of my birth and formative years, to the "other" section, how could you!?

And while you've got me in a mood, I'd point out that Clare, Fermanagh and Kerry are all Irish counties, not British.

I would like to be in Manchester - especially to go to The Trafford Centre. 

Bobby, any time you're up here I would GLADLY let you take my wife and children for a day at the Trafford Centre while I do something more pleasant, like rodding the drains or drilling holes in my skull.

Written By: ElDuderino on 01/13/05 at 2:49 pm

I can't remember the name of it, but its the county Portsmouth and Brighton are in. I researched my father's family history, and that is the area my last ancestor from Britain was born and raised in. Before that, I don't know where they lived(interestingly enough my family was Welsh, but they lived in England, this was in the mid-1600s, so it was after the unification so I guess my family had migrated to England before coming to America).

Written By: Paul on 01/13/05 at 3:05 pm

I can't remember the name of it, but its the county Portsmouth and Brighton are in.

As far as I know, ElDuderino, Pompey & Brighton have always been in different counties - Hampshire and Sussex respectively (altho' the bit Brighton is in was formerly known as East Sussex)...they do border each other, so that may be where your confusion lies...

It must be great to trace your family back...for some reason, my father's side of the story can be traced back about 150 years, and then - dead end...

Obviously something went on that they didn't want us to know about...!!

Written By: gord on 01/13/05 at 4:17 pm

Which counties are Brands Hatch and Silverstone in ? :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/13/05 at 4:36 pm

Which counties are Brands Hatch and Silverstone in ? :)
Kent and Northamptonshire, respectively.

Written By: danootaandme on 01/13/05 at 5:20 pm

Which ones signify East Anglia?  In Massachusetts we have Essex County, a section of which is called
Cape Ann, and it is very much East Anglia.

Written By: Bobby on 01/13/05 at 6:14 pm

Bobby, any time you're up here I would GLADLY let you take my wife and children for a day at the Trafford Centre while I do something more pleasant, like rodding the drains or drilling holes in my skull.

Lol. That bad is it? My girlfriend, like myself, loves retail therapy but she can be unintentionally selfish. She does that woman trick where she meanders around and when it is my turn to look in Virgins, HMV or Game store, all of a sudden I'm on The Crystal Maze!

Written By: gord on 01/13/05 at 7:32 pm

Kent and Northamptonshire, respectively.

then Kent and Northamptonshire it is :)

Written By: jaytee on 01/13/05 at 9:12 pm

I chose Bucks because I have a friend who lives there.  But I would one day love to go to Kent because that's where dad's family came from.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/13/05 at 11:09 pm

I think I liked both Cheshire and Lancashire equally best.  They've got BOTH the grit, smog, and decay of Greater Manchester and the cold, damp dreariness of the rugged English countryside!
;D ;D ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/14/05 at 12:04 am

Which ones signify East Anglia?  In Massachusetts we have Essex County, a section of which is called
Cape Ann, and it is very much East Anglia.
East Anglia comprises the counties of: Cambridgeshire; Essex; Suffolk; Norfolk; Lincolnshire

Written By: karen on 01/14/05 at 3:28 am

Karen, you have incurred my wrath  >:( by relegating LANCASHIRE, the county of my birth and formative years, to the "other" section, how could you!?

I had to guess where people might vote for and I got the wrong northern county.  So sue me!  I could have listed them all I suppose.

And while you've got me in a mood, I'd point out that Clare, Fermanagh and Kerry are all Irish counties, not British.

British Isles!

Written By: danootaandme on 01/14/05 at 6:10 am

East Anglia comprises the counties of: Cambridgeshire; Essex; Suffolk; Norfolk; Lincolnshire

I would say Suffolk and Essex.  Mehala and all that.  I also like Lancashire for all the same reasons as Max.

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 01/14/05 at 6:28 am

Yorkshire

For football reasons  :)

Written By: jaytee on 01/14/05 at 6:36 am

I would like to be in Manchester - especially to go to The Trafford Centre.  :)

So that would be other - lancashire.

What happens at The Trafford Centre, Bobby?

Written By: Stompgal on 01/14/05 at 6:41 am

I'll say Gwent because I live there.

Written By: jaytee on 01/14/05 at 6:43 am

I'll just comment on a place which I think is the antithesis of Stroud- my current town, Swindon, which is devoid of culture, countryside & agreeable architecture, but full of aggresive breadheads.

Isn't "The Office" set in Swindon??

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/14/05 at 7:05 am

Isn't "The Office" set in Swindon??
Yes, it is set in Swindon, but there was a merger with the Slough branch.

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 01/15/05 at 4:09 am

Yes, it is set in Swindon, but there was a merger with the Slough branch.

Shudder - I lived in Slough - ugly ugly place !!!

But Fave places were Devon - so pretty, Cornwall, Norfolk, Nottinghamshire, Kent.

So many others I enjoyed living in or visiting.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/15/05 at 5:52 am

Shudder - I lived in Slough - ugly ugly place !!!

But Fave places were Devon - so pretty, Cornwall, Norfolk, Nottinghamshire, Kent.

So many others I enjoyed living in or visiting.

I have only ever by-passed Slough.

Written By: Paul on 01/15/05 at 5:57 am

I have only ever by-passed Slough.

And that's all you'll ever want to do, Phil...believe me...!!

There's a couple of books out called 'Crap Towns Of Britain' - obviously, we had more examples to fill one book...! - Slough's in there, alongside my local (Gravesend - which is as horrible as it sounds), but I gather the top spot went to Hull, which must be bad...!

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/15/05 at 6:09 am

And that's all you'll ever want to do, Phil...believe me...!!

There's a couple of books out called 'Crap Towns Of Britain' - obviously, we had more examples to fill one book...! - Slough's in there, alongside my local (Gravesend - which is as horrible as it sounds), but I gather the top spot went to Hull, which must be bad...!
I have seen those two books, I believe Windsor is featured highly too?

Written By: Paul on 01/15/05 at 6:13 am

Not sure about Windsor - thought that was a bit 'toffish' to have been included - but then again, it's just over the water from Slough so there may be some overspill...

I could always buy the books, I suppose...!!

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 01/15/05 at 9:42 am

I have seen those two books, I believe Windsor is featured highly too?

Surely not ??  Windsor is so pretty. Loads of gorgeous historical buildings all lovingly preserved, a whopping big gorgeous castle, a fantastic Great Park.

And fortunately a freeway dividing it from Slough !!!!!!!!

Written By: mandamoo on 01/16/05 at 1:52 am

I'm not sure which county they're in but I'd like to visit The Cotswolds  8)

Written By: Zella on 01/16/05 at 9:15 pm

Cornwall. The true Britons...  8)

Written By: goodsin on 01/17/05 at 4:17 am

I'm not sure which county they're in but I'd like to visit The Cotswolds  8)

That would be Gloucestershire, one of my favourite counties. Classic "Cotswold show towns" include Moreton-in-Marsh, Bourton-on-the-Water, Lechlade etc. I love Cotswold Stone, for those who've never seen it, it's sort of a cross between sand & chalk in colour & consistency, and is used to make the distinctive Cotswold Stone buildings that characterise the area.

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 01/17/05 at 4:31 am

Beautiful  :D

I remember driving over the 'top' of Birmingham on the (M1) ? and seeing a sign that said Birmingham and West Bromwich, next exit, and from the bits I could see all I could keep thinking was "Please don't break down"  :(

Written By: jaytee on 01/17/05 at 6:07 am

Where is Pemberley (the estate in Pride & Prejudice)?  I would love to go there - especially if Mr. D'arcy was emerging from the lake  ;D

Anyway I'm off now to watch "The Office" - I'll see if I can spot any hint of beauty in Swindon. ;)

Written By: karen on 01/17/05 at 6:36 am

Where is Pemberley (the estate in Pride & Prejudice)?  I would love to go there - especially if Mr. D'arcy was emerging from the lake  ;D

Anyway I'm off now to watch "The Office" - I'll see if I can spot any hint of beauty in Swindon. ;)

Pemberley was supposedly in Derbyshire.  But it is an imaginary place.

This site has more details.

http://www.pemberley.com/janeinfo/ppjalmap.html

I'll read it in more detail to see if I can find out where it was filmed.

Written By: karen on 01/17/05 at 6:53 am

The house used as Pemberley in the TV series (with Colin Firth as Mr D'Arcy) is really Lyme Park in Chesire

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/scripts/nthandbook.dll?ACTION=PROPERTY&PROPERTYID=114

Written By: goodsin on 01/17/05 at 9:10 am

I am reliably informed by one of my Jane Austen fanatic colleagues that Pemberley is meant to be in Derbyshire, it's a fictional village but the interior filming was done at Chatsworth House & Haddon Hall, both in Derbyshire, with the exteriors filmed at Lyme Hall, Cheshire.

As for finding hints of beauty in Swindon, look hard- there are hints of it, but they're well hidden behind the more common concrete & steel monstrosities that litter the area. I work in an orifice, sorry office, in Swindon- there are a few things of beauty floating about here ;), but the only parallel I can see between The Office on TV & mine is the occasional silly team-building exercise; we used to have a supervisor here whom we used to call Ricky (after Mr Gervais, star of The Office) when the power went to his head- I've seen his dancing, and it does indeed rival Mr Gervais' Xmas display...

Written By: McDonald on 01/17/05 at 9:30 pm

Tá Cúige Uladh an rogha agam. Ulster.

Check for new replies or respond here...