inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Australian states and territories

Written By: karen on 01/13/05 at 3:59 am

Just to even things up a little and show the true international status of the board

Subject: Re: Australian states and territories

Written By: Bobby on 01/13/05 at 4:58 am

I would like to go wherever Sydney is. That opera house looks incredible.  :)

Written By: Alchoholica on 01/13/05 at 5:59 am

Victoria of course. Best Bars, best beaches and my mate Mark moved over there.. so if i was going to Australia then it would be Victoria.

Written By: bj26 on 01/13/05 at 6:46 am

I'm going with South Australia because I'm from the South in the states! On the other hand, maybe the south in Australia is more like the north in the states :D

Written By: Paul on 01/13/05 at 7:23 am

Anywhere where the wildlife can't kill you...!

Seriously, they all look pretty fantastic from what I've seen - I'll get there eventually...!

Written By: mrgazpacho on 01/13/05 at 8:29 am

On the other hand, maybe the south in Australia is more like the north in the states :D

Strangely enough, this is true. I think it must have something to do with the climate. Queensland is more "redneck", Victoria and South Australia are more like, um, Massachusetts (traditional, stuffy ;) )

Written By: danootaandme on 01/13/05 at 5:24 pm

I have a friend in Victoria.  She left the States and ended up marrying a guy and moving with him to
Austrialia, that was about 25 years ago and she never looked back.

Written By: jaytee on 01/13/05 at 9:15 pm

Strangely enough, this is true. I think it must have something to do with the climate. Queensland is more "redneck", Victoria and South Australia are more like, um, Massachusetts (traditional, stuffy ;) )

Queensland more redneck.  Oh gaz - how could you!! ;D  Depends on what part of the State you're in.  I'm sure most Aussie states have their share!!

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 01/14/05 at 6:30 am

Queensland

For reasons which I hope are obvious  :)

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 01/14/05 at 6:31 am

Queensland is more "redneck"

Say, Gaz, come up here and we'll open a can of redneck whooppass on yer.....  ;D

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 01/14/05 at 6:32 am

I would like to go wherever Sydney is. That opera house looks incredible.  :)

Muwahahaa

What it looks like Bobby, is a whole bunch of big upside down broken eggshells !  :P :P :P :P :P

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 01/14/05 at 6:34 am

I'm going with South Australia because I'm from the South in the states! On the other hand, maybe the south in Australia is more like the north in the states :D

Dunno !

What State in the US has the biggest reputation for unsolved gruesome murders ?  Then you have your equivalent to South Australia  :o 

::)

Written By: Paul on 01/14/05 at 7:19 am

Queensland

For reasons which I hope are obvious   :)

Obviously not because it's a land full of 'queens'...!!

Written By: mrgazpacho on 01/14/05 at 7:24 am

Queensland more redneck. Oh gaz - how could you!! ;D Depends on what part of the State you're in. I'm sure most Aussie states have their share!!

In Sydney, the "redneck" stereotype is applied to people from the western suburbs. Hence the local term "Westies" :D

Written By: Satish on 01/14/05 at 7:42 pm

Well, I like rugby league, so I'm gonna say New South Wales.

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 01/15/05 at 4:03 am

WA for me. 
Largest state
Most affordable
Most mineral rich
Most likely to succede from the other states hehe
Biggest coastline
Best looking surfers
Best Surf
Nicest sharks (as long as you dont swim with them)
We hit a 2 mil population last week so there is plently of space for each of us.
Best gorges
Stunning Deserts
Snow capped mountains
Rainforrests
The Nullabour !

Come visit us http://www.westernaustralia.com/en/

But I have to say - best places to holiday other than here - Tassie and Victoria and NSW.

One teeeny correction Karen - Its the Northern Territory - not territories - there is just the one up there !!  Land of Uluru, BIG crocs, Uranium, amazing deserts, awesome gorges.  And their slogan - You'll never never know if you never never go.  luv it !!

Nice big map here if anyone needs to work out what is where.
http://www.ga.gov.au/image_cache/GA4073.jpg

Written By: mandamoo on 01/16/05 at 2:01 am

I would like to go wherever Sydney is. That opera house looks incredible. :)

I'v always said you have good taste, Bobby  ;) :)

Written By: mandamoo on 01/16/05 at 2:07 am

Queensland

For reasons which I hope are obvious :)

Er....not to me  :o

WAY too hot and humid  :P ;)

My favourite is Tasmania. Fresh air, beautiful lush countryside and a much cooler climate. :D

Written By: RockandRollFan on 01/16/05 at 3:26 pm

What Luke said!

Written By: Zella on 01/16/05 at 9:13 pm

Queensland

Why ?

If you don't know, you haven't been here long enough.... ;D :P :P :P  ;)

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 01/17/05 at 1:44 am

Queensland

Why ?

If you don't know, you haven't been here long enough.... ;D :P :P :P  ;)

hehe you could even ignore the humidity !! ;)

Written By: Zella on 01/17/05 at 1:51 am

hehe you could even ignore the humidity !! ;)

Nature's extra lubrication!  ;)

Written By: McDonald on 01/17/05 at 9:36 pm

I don't know which one is my favourite... Never been there really. I would like to go if I can coax myself into not being afraid of all the deadly wildlife they show on T.V. Not to mention the 20 hour flight.

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 01/18/05 at 12:23 am

Nature's extra lubrication!  ;)

:o

:)

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 01/18/05 at 12:23 am

I don't know which one is my favourite... Never been there really. I would like to go if I can coax myself into not being afraid of all the deadly wildlife they show on T.V. Not to mention the 20 hour flight.

Lemme get this straight and in perspective McD  ;D

As opposed to :

Mountain Lions
Alligators
Wolves
Grizzly Bears
Rattlesnakes
Wolverines

Stay there, you are perfectly safe  ;)  :) :) :) :) :)

Written By: karen on 01/18/05 at 3:48 am

One teeeny correction Karen - Its the Northern Territory - not territories - there is just the one up there !!  Land of Uluru, BIG crocs, Uranium, amazing deserts, awesome gorges.  And their slogan - You'll never never know if you never never go.  luv it !!

Sorry BMG I just misread my map!

Written By: McDonald on 01/18/05 at 8:09 pm

Lemme get this straight and in perspective McD  ;D

As opposed to :

Mountain Lions
Alligators
Wolves
Grizzly Bears
Rattlesnakes
Wolverines

Stay there, you are perfectly safe   ;)  :) :) :) :) :)

Touché my friend... But you guys have several species of snakes that are far deadlier than the rattlesnake (and btw, I am deathly frightened of snakes... ALL of them). Alligators are only in remote swamp areas usually, and they are not agressive... But you guys have Crocs. We have wolves, which one rarely encounters. You have dingos. Grizzly bears are only a problem for campers out in the woods up North. Mountain lions are endangered and afraid. You guys have all those weird spiders all over the place... even in the big cities, that will kill you if you don't get to the anti-venom within a few hours....

All this aside, I still want to go. I would also like to go to New Zealand. It's so beautiful down there, and there are NO SNAKES  :D!!!

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 01/19/05 at 7:15 am

Touché my friend... But you guys have several species of snakes that are far deadlier than the rattlesnake (and btw, I am deathly frightened of snakes... ALL of them). Alligators are only in remote swamp areas usually, and they are not agressive... But you guys have Crocs. We have wolves, which one rarely encounters. You have dingos. Grizzly bears are only a problem for campers out in the woods up North. Mountain lions are endangered and afraid. You guys have all those weird spiders all over the place... even in the big cities, that will kill you if you don't get to the anti-venom within a few hours....

All this aside, I still want to go. I would also like to go to New Zealand. It's so beautiful down there, and there are NO SNAKES  :D!!!

LOL !  Good points in the main  :)

I am crap scared of Snakes too.  And we have some real mongrel ones.  Red Bellied Black Snakes, Brown Snakes, Black Snakes and Taipans.  Taipans are the nastiest ones of all, as they are one of the only snakes in the world that will attack for (seemingly) no reason.  They probably think they have a good reason though  ;D

The way you describe Alligators though is exactly like Crocodiles.  Firstly, you only find them in Northern Australia, where it is warmer.  And like Alligators, they don't often attack without a reason.  A sizable percentage of people who get munched on by Crocs are usually tourists, who are swimming next to signs that say "No Swimming - Crocodiles"  ::)

Spiders, yesssss.  Funnel Webs and Redback spiders are a real pain in the arse, specially if that's where they bite ya.  And just TRY to find someone to suck out the poison  ;D

Sorry, Dingos, whilst flightly and unpredictable, don't often attack, and when they do it is once again, usually because of unwanted human intrusion into their area.  Anyone familiar with the Azaria Chamberlain disppearance in the early 80's (cue Meryl Streep : "A Dingo's got my Bayyybeeeee" in the absolute WORST American attempt at a striney Australian accent I have EVER heard  :P ::)) should know that this particular Aussie has NEVER been convinced that a Dingo had anything to do with it in the first instance.  But it was the perfect fall guy......

Grizzlies, nonetheless, you can keep them !

Mauntain Lions - I know this is just one case, but wasn't it in the last couple of years, that some Mountain Biker got attacked and killed by one ?  I 'thought' it was somewhere in California ?  Although maybe I don't have the full story ?

You would still love Australia and I can also vouch for New Zealand.  Beautiful place !  :)

Written By: Zella on 01/19/05 at 2:09 pm

LOL !  Good points in the main  :)
Mauntain Lions - I know this is just one case, but wasn't it in the last couple of years, that some Mountain Biker got attacked and killed by one ?  I 'thought' it was somewhere in California ?  Although maybe I don't have the full story ?

Mountain lions make a meal of somebody about 3-4 times a year here. Inbetween they usually settle for munching someone's poodle or yorkie.  :P

Written By: smashlee_skye on 01/20/05 at 7:09 pm

Mountain lions...hehehe...did anyone see that episode of 24 where Elisha Cuthbert was being stalked by a mountain lion....god that was funny....lol do I have a sick sense of humour? I think it is just because that girl is always in some sort of ridiculous life-threatening situation!

I live in Australia and don't think there should be competition between states...I mean, Northern NSW is exactly like South-East Queensland etc...Except during STATE OF ORIGIN where the difference is enough to kill you! (for all the non-Aussies out there, State of Origin is a series of 3 Rugby League games where the mighty Cane Toads (QLD) battle the evil Cockroaches (NSW). Rugby League is footy for men...as opposed to american football  ;D)

I live in Queensland, near Brisbane and think the worst thing about the state is that up North, where it is incredibly hot, I am too scared to swim because of the box jellyfish and irukanji (spelling?) which are lethal. But a lot of people do anyway. You just have to swim at the right time of day, box jellyfish "sleep" at the bottom of the ocean at certain times.

Australia is a beautiful place and I don't think you could compare the lifestyle to many other places in the world. When I finish university I'm off to travel the world for as long as I can, but I will never live anywhere else but Oz!!!!!!!! By the way, I was joking about 'footy for men', we play american football here too to a small extent...but if any Americans have watched a game of League you will know what i mean!

Written By: saratoga954 on 01/21/05 at 7:29 pm

I've never been to Australia before but I would LOVE to visit!

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 01/24/05 at 7:20 am

I've never been to Australia before but I would LOVE to visit!

Well there sure is plenty of space  :)

Lemme put it in perspective for you

Our population is roughly that of Los Angeles  :o

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 01/25/05 at 8:45 am

Well there sure is plenty of space  :)

Lemme put it in perspective for you

Our population is roughly that of Los Angeles   :o

Actually its the population of California according to their spiel on the Australia.com official website.

And guess what - WA finally hit the 2 million mark last month.  We are very excited !!!! hehehe.

LOL ! Good points in the main :)
(cue Meryl Streep : "A Dingo's got my Bayyybeeeee" in the absolute WORST American attempt at a striney Australian accent I have EVER heard :P ::)) should know that this particular Aussie has NEVER been convinced that a Dingo had anything to do with it in the first instance. But it was the perfect fall guy......

Lindy was a New Zealander - she already had a crap accept - Meryl just butchered it even further by being trained in a Kiwi accent by an Aussie !

And I agree with you - I have NEVER been convinced that a dingo undid a babies jumpsuit - made a neat righthanded cut across the neckline, and used tin snips to remove the press studs !!  Dingoes just aint that clever !

Check for new replies or respond here...