inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Future One Hit Wonders

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/14/05 at 11:31 pm

Who do you think are future one hit wonders?

Subject: Re: Future One Hit Wonders

Written By: woops on 01/15/05 at 2:17 pm

Busted "What I Go To School For" (recently split up)

As for the rest, only time will tell.

The Osmonds, Milli Vanilli, Spice Girls, etc. had a couple hits in their heyday, but most people are only familiar with one song like Tiffany "I Think We're Alone Now"...  ::)

Written By: Apricot on 01/15/05 at 3:09 pm

I'm betting Modest Mouse will be, but I pray to God I'm wrong.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/15/05 at 4:27 pm

I would say Ashlee Simpson.

Written By: Apricot on 01/15/05 at 4:33 pm

I would say Ashlee Simpson.

Naw, she's already had "Pieces of Me" and "La La" is getting okay success. Then that other song "Shadow" will come out. She'll have at least a few. And, she's whoring it up. That'll help her sell.

Written By: woops on 01/15/05 at 4:44 pm

Another possibility of being a one hit wonder would be J Pop act Puffy Ami Yumi 

Written By: Guest on 01/16/05 at 2:37 pm

Hoobastank
The Reaon (2004)
The Reason
Forgot Publisher

There is another song coming up by this group, but I don't think it's gonna be on the Billboard Top 10 at all.  :) :)

Ooo-it-stank!  ;D :)

Written By: tv on 01/16/05 at 2:42 pm

I was thinking about this the other day.

R&b singer Sunshine Anderson hit it big in 2001 with the song "Heard It All Before". She will be a one hit wonder for sure I think.

Written By: woops on 01/16/05 at 2:55 pm

There was a band called Crazytown earlier this decade that only had one hit with "Butterfly"  ::)

Written By: Howard on 01/16/05 at 8:55 pm

Maroon 5-This Love

Howard

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/16/05 at 9:59 pm

Maroon 5-This Love

Howard

I actually like Maroon 5.  ::)

Written By: ... on 01/16/05 at 10:16 pm

I actually like Maroon 5.  ::)

But they are NOT eligible to be one hit wonders. That's because they've already had 4 hits. Their first hit, "Harder To Breathe," was from 2003. "She Will Be Loved" was their third hit, from just a few months ago. Right now they have a song called "Sunday Morning" which I've heard on the radio a few times.

BTW, I like 'em too.

Written By: goodsin on 01/17/05 at 9:20 am

Only time will tell, but virtually anyone from the Pop Idol/ X Factor league of manufactured rubbish is a likely candidate. The public, so desperate to elect their chosen idol, seem to drop them like a stone shortly afterwards, e.g. Michelle Mcmanus, Rik Waller. A good thing too, in most cases!

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/17/05 at 10:50 am

Ryan Malcom, the winner of the first Canadian Idol, and William Hung.

Written By: elefanten on 01/17/05 at 1:44 pm

There was a band called Crazytown earlier this decade that only had one hit with "Butterfly"  ::)

they also had revolving doors (Ladies come, ladies go, out of my revolving doors, some ladies never come back, most come back for more, i got a house in the hill, with a door that spins, goes in and out, in and out, round and round agiain) or something like that

and a small hit called drowning

Written By: Howard on 01/17/05 at 7:48 pm

yeah,you got that right. :P

Howard

Written By: george78 on 02/14/05 at 9:28 am

As for the rest, only time will tell.

The Osmonds, Milli Vanilli, Spice Girls, etc. had a couple hits in their heyday, but most people are only familiar with one song like Tiffany "I Think We're Alone Now"...  ::)

Wow, can I ask what your problem with Tiffany is???? I've read many of your posts and you really have it for her. Lighten up, Debbie Gibson wasn't much of a musical icon either. They're both in the same realm. And by the way, Tiffany wasn't a one hit wonder, get your facts straight before you run a person through the mud.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/14/05 at 10:13 am

yeah,you got that right. :P

Howard

Kalan Porter, the current winner of Canadian Idol, is also a future one hit wonder.

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 02/14/05 at 3:07 pm

Kylie Minogue
Hoobastank
Alter Bridge (The Creed Supergroup; it's possible)
Scissor Sisters (Why is Mick Jagger singing with the B-52's?  ::))
Kelis
Raven Simone
Lindsey Lohan (It's likely; some actors shouldn't record music -- look at William Shatner!  :o)
Five for Fighting (Whatever happen to them?)
Ricky Martin ("In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida Loca" or something like that)
Flogging Molly
Good Charlotte
Simple Plan

Written By: woops on 02/14/05 at 6:26 pm

Wow, can I ask what your problem with Tiffany is???? I've read many of your posts and you really have it for her. Lighten up, Debbie Gibson wasn't much of a musical icon either. They're both in the same realm. And by the way, Tiffany wasn't a one hit wonder, get your facts straight before you run a person through the mud.

Deborah Gibson isn't the reason why I don't like Tiffany. IMHO, Tiffany's voice was too thin and I know she had other hits like "I Saw Him Standing There" & "Could've Been", but most people are only familiar with "I Think We're Alone Now"

The same with MC Hammer, who had few more hits besides "U Can't Touch This".

And Kylie Minogue had a few this decade & had hits in the late '80's with "Locomotion" & "I Should Be So Lucky".

Not to mention she was in the same league of Debbie Gibson & Tiffany.

Though Kylie & Deborah are more successful than Tiffany, IMO.

Kylie went on to be a bigger pop star outside of the states while Deborah left the pop scene to become a successful Broadway actress & still puts out great albums. Oh, and her single "Naked" is out this week.  :)

Written By: whistledog on 08/13/07 at 1:23 pm

Thought I'd bump this for an update ...

They charted 8 UK Top 40 hits (All in the top 3, 4 of which hit #1)

When did William Hung have a hit? ;D ;D ;D

Ryan Malcolm made a comeback with his new band Low Level Flight.  I see the video on TV, but I don't know if it charted.  I will say it's better than anything he did as a solo artist

Kalan Porter, the current winner of Canadian Idol, is also a future one hit wonder.

He had a few hits from his debut album before taking time off.  He's back with a new song that's quite popular

Written By: Brian06 on 08/13/07 at 1:28 pm

Mims
Yung Joc
Jibbs
Hurricane Chris
Panic! At The Disco
Shop Boyz
Huey
Lil Mama
Hinder

Written By: whistledog on 08/13/07 at 1:39 pm

Mims
Yung Joc
Jibbs
Hurricane Chris
Panic! At The Disco
Shop Boyz
Huey
Lil Mama
Hiinder

We can only hope LOL  The fact that Jibbs even charted is a mystery ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/13/07 at 7:24 pm

I'm betting Modest Mouse will be, but I pray to God I'm wrong.

"We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank" debuted at #1 on the Billboard pop charts.  Even if "Dashboard" remains their only Top 10, I don't think they qualify as a "one hit wonder."  They'll be a hugely successful "indie rock" band that happened to have a Top 10 single.

A one hit wonder is an act like Right Said Fred!

BTW, I'm not personally a fan of Modest Mouse, I just know them because they've been a college rock staple for the past 10 years (though they go as far back as '93). 

You know where the name comes from?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modest_Mussorgsky
Although Modest Mussorgsky, the Russian composer most famous for the piano suite Pictures at an Exhibition, has one of those names spelled several different ways depending.

Written By: star500 on 08/13/07 at 7:55 pm

I'm surprised no one mentioned Klaatu with "Calling Occupants of Interplantery Craft". I know the Carpenters released it too but didn't Klaatu release it first? It is one of the most "burned out" songs I've ever heard, LOL. Definitely weird! I like the Carpenters version better! ;)

Written By: whistledog on 08/13/07 at 8:09 pm

I'm surprised no one mentioned Klaatu with "Calling Occupants of Interplantery Craft". I know the Carpenters released it too but didn't Klaatu release it first? It is one of the most "burned out" songs I've ever heard, LOL. Definitely weird! I like the Carpenters version better! ;)

Assuming this is for the cover songs that are better thread ... ;D

For me, the Klaatu version is still the best, even though The Carpenters had the bigger hit with it.  Oddly enough, acccording to the Canadian charts, Klaatu's version was NOT a Top 40 hit

Written By: woops on 08/13/07 at 8:18 pm

Anybody from Disney Channel  ::)

Though High Schoool Musical slop is thankfully only played in their inane radio station

Written By: Haynsoul on 08/13/07 at 8:51 pm

Mims
Yung Joc
Jibbs
Hurricane Chris
Panic! At The Disco
Shop Boyz
Huey
Lil Mama
Hiinder

Most of these seem to be true so far. Thank god.

*crosses fingers*

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/13/07 at 8:54 pm

Maroon 5-This Love

Howard

So much for that, they have a second hit album.  ;D

Written By: sonikuu on 08/14/07 at 4:33 am

Eh, the subject of determining which present day music will be one hit wonders has always been an iffy subject for me.  For example, is getting in the Billboard Top 40 the sole criteria for being a one hit wonder?  I don't think so because if thats the case, then Jimi Hendrix, Radiohead, Oasis, and the Grateful Dead are all one hit wonders by that criteria.  When it comes to judging one hit wonders, I tend to judge by how they do on their "native" charts (like rock bands on rock charts, rappers on rap charts, etc.) as well as their Top 40 performance.  As a result, a band such as Faith No More (who only had one Top 40 song) isn't a one hit wonder because their 1992 song "Midlife Crisis" hit #1 on the Modern (aka Alternative) Rock Tracks chart and is still played occasionally on rock stations around here.

Then again, charts as a whole could be pointless sometimes when discussing one hit wonders.  Vanilla Ice had two hits with his remake of "Play That Music" hitting #4 on the charts.  Despite this, everyone seems to forget that song and think only of "Ice Ice Baby."  Music artists can have several successful singles, but if people only really remember one of them ten years down on the line, does that make them a one hit wonder, despite their chart success?

Written By: saver on 08/15/07 at 12:56 pm

Woulda thought when singers interject their name in a song, it would make the song one would WONDER if they will hear it again ala Janet Jackson 'you can call me Janet' or 'Jenny from the Block'
That's one I want to hear Madonna cover ...LOL 

Written By: sonikuu on 08/15/07 at 4:41 pm

Woulda thought when singers interject their name in a song, it would make the song one would WONDER if they will hear it again ala Janet Jackson 'you can call me Janet' or 'Jenny from the Block'
That's one I want to hear Madonna cover ...LOL 

Ugh...I hate the whole "say so-and-so's name in the song" thing.  Okay, it might've been alright before, but once every single rap song at the beginning of the song started announcing which rappers are in the song, it just got way too overdone.  Believe me, I had to go through rap music in my P.E. class (we played music while working out and all the tough guys liked rap, so we listened to rap) and the amount of rap songs that announced who was in the song just became way too common.  I guess they need to say whos in the song since you can't tell the difference between most of them anymore.

Speaking of which, is it just me or do 90% of rap songs now feature at least one rapper (sometimes two)other than the "main" rapper?

Written By: tv on 08/16/07 at 8:44 am

Mims
Yung Joc
Jibbs
Hurricane Chris
Panic! At The Disco
Shop Boyz
Huey
Lil Mama
Hinder
I don't know if "Mims" is a one hit wonder because last time I looked on the charts Mim's second single after "This Is Why I'm Hot" was at #45.

I don;t think Hurricane Chris is gonna have another hit. "Jibbs" is done I don;t think he'll have another hit. Young Joc is a one hit wonder is so I guess his only hit was its "Its Going Down".

Written By: tv on 08/16/07 at 8:51 am

Kylie Minogue
Hoobastank
Alter Bridge (The Creed Supergroup; it's possible)
Scissor Sisters (Why is Mick Jagger singing with the B-52's?   ::))
Kelis
Raven Simone
Lindsey Lohan (It's likely; some actors shouldn't record music -- look at William Shatner!  :o)
Five for Fighting (Whatever happen to them?)
Ricky Martin ("In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida Loca" or something like that)
Flogging Molly
Good Charlotte
Simple Plan
Kylie Minogue is not a one-hit wonder in the Us or the (Uk I doubt.)
Kelis I guess her only hit was "Milkshake".
Raven Simone she had a hit?
Five For Fighting they are not a one hit wonder they had a hit with "The Superman song" and "100 Years".
Ricky Martin-He had a hit with "Livin Lavida Loca",  She;s All I ever Had, Nobody Wants To Be Lonely feauring Christina Aguilera. I'm not sure if "She Bangs" Or "The Cup Of Life" were hits.
Good Charlotte-So "Lifestyles Of The Rich and Famous" were their only hit?
Hoobastank-So "The Reason" was their only hit?

Check for new replies or respond here...