inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The death of reality tv

Written By: bbigd04 on 01/17/05 at 11:51 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050117/ap_en_ot/fox_s_fall_2

It appears that reality tv is finally dying. Reality is dying early '00s fad. Change is here.

Subject: Re: The death of reality tv

Written By: Bobby on 01/18/05 at 5:14 am

It's age old. The corporations have found an easy ticket to draw in the audiences, pacified them for a while with overkill, and now wonders why people aren't interested anymore.

I'm sure the next fad will be something as sublime like window cleaning (?). There will be myriads of progammes based on the subtle delights of window-cleanng and then people will get irritated because they see too much of it on their screens.

I very much doubt window-cleaning could ever be a fad  ;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/18/05 at 9:02 am

Coming soon to T.V., watching grass grow!  ::)  ;D

Written By: Harmonica on 01/18/05 at 10:09 am

Followed by an all new line up of:

As the paint drys
Fundamentals of Golf
Wax or shave: What to do about unwanted hair

Written By: Howard on 01/18/05 at 6:27 pm

Would that happen to be a reality show? ;D

Howard

Written By: Howard on 01/18/05 at 6:29 pm

nobody gives a crap about reality anymore. >:( What the hell do people think reality is all about? these shows need to stop alltogether.I have had enough of them. :P  :P

Howard

Written By: Bobby on 01/18/05 at 7:03 pm

As the paint drys

I have seen a video sitting on a second-hand shop shelf entitled 'Watching paint dry'. I think it was lampooning the seemingly boring Prime Minister John Major at the time. I never bought it to find out if it really was based on watching paint dry.  ;D

I might have had more of a laugh at that than watching the recent jungle reality show entitled 'I'm a has-been . . .erm . . . celebrity get me out of here'.

Written By: Apricot on 01/18/05 at 7:07 pm

fudge reality... Let's get rid of ALL of it!  :D

Written By: Bobby on 01/18/05 at 7:10 pm

f*c* reality... Let's get rid of ALL of it!  :D

Who really wants to be reminded of it anyway?  ;D

Written By: Dagwood on 01/18/05 at 7:25 pm

nobody gives a crap about reality anymore. >:( What the hell do people think reality is all about? these shows need to stop alltogether.I have had enough of them. :P :P

Howard

So, change the channel.  There are still tons of people that like reality tv and I am one of them.  I don't watch it all, but there are a few shows I love and don't miss.  I will say the same thing that people say when there is an uproar about content of a scripted television show...if you don't like it change the channel.  If no one watches it then it will go away...if it sticks around, chances are people like it.

Written By: Howard on 01/18/05 at 7:33 pm

f*c* reality... Let's get rid of ALL of it!  :D

Yeah.Whatever happened to the family sitcoms we all used to watch instead of reality shows? ::)

Howard

Written By: Howard on 01/18/05 at 7:34 pm

So, change the channel.  There are still tons of people that like reality tv and I am one of them.  I don't watch it all, but there are a few shows I love and don't miss.  I will say the same thing that people say when there is an uproar about content of a scripted television show...if you don't like it change the channel.  If no one watches it then it will go away...if it sticks around, chances are people like it.

well Dag eating bugs,worms, & cockroaches isn't my idea of watching reality. :P

Howard

Written By: Bobby on 01/18/05 at 7:59 pm

Ho ho. Good one, Howard.  ;D

You are correct in what you are saying though, Dagwood.  ;)

Written By: Dagwood on 01/18/05 at 8:02 pm

Howard

Mine either...grosses me out so I don't watch Fear Factor. ;) 

Everyone has different tastes in entertainment, that is part of what makes the world an interesting place. :)

Written By: Howard on 01/18/05 at 8:03 pm

Ho ho. Good one, Howard.  ;D

You are correct in what you are saying though, Dagwood.  ;)

That's why reality shows should've stayed gone in the first place. :P

Howard

Written By: AngeFaitore on 01/18/05 at 8:07 pm

I think that TV as a whole is on the decline.
We have over 400 channels for $70+ a month and there's NOTHING ON?!?

Written By: Howard on 01/18/05 at 8:11 pm

I think that TV as a whole is on the decline.
We have over 400 channels for $70+ a month and there's NOTHING ON?!?

that's why we should just change the channel.It's that simple.You're not forced to watch it. ::)

Howard

Written By: Doc Brown on 01/18/05 at 10:36 pm

Mine either...grosses me out so I don't watch Fear Factor. ;) 

Everyone has different tastes in entertainment, that is part of what makes the world an interesting place. :)

I think NBC only keeps Fear Factor on because it's so low-budget(as well as low-brow!). I have only taken interest in one reality show this century: The Apprentice. I think people relate to it because hey, we've all been hired and fired at least once in our working lives, haven't we? I think we can keep Extreme Makeover: Home Edition as well as The Amazing Race, those are at least decent shows. But I think we can dipose with the rest: Survivor, The Mole, Average Joe, Next Top Model? Get'em out of here.
And yes, we do need more family sitcoms back on TV. With Raymond signing off this spring, who's left to carry the torch? I want something along the lines of Home Improvement, or even Family Ties! Let's hear some feedback.

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Written By: goodsin on 01/19/05 at 1:59 am

Howard

I don't call them Reality TV shows any more, I call them Situation TV, which I find to be closer to the truth on most occasions... :P

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/19/05 at 8:29 am

I don't call them Reality TV shows any more, I call them Situation TV, which I find to be closer to the truth on most occasions... :P

Game shows would be a more accurate description I think. 

Written By: AngeFaitore on 01/19/05 at 10:39 am

that's why we should just change the channel.It's that simple.You're not forced to watch it. ::)

Howard

You mean "Turn the TV Off", not change the channel, because if I change the channel, there's just more crap and re-runs on (The only time re-runs are good is when TV Land has a Wings marathon on Friday and when Sci Fi has Sliders on Daytime Rotation).
I'm saying that TV as a WHOLE is getting CRAPPY. I can't change the channel without seeing boring CRAP on TV. I wonder why my mother pays $70 a month on digital cable. It's not worth it, really... except for when Thomas Haden Church is at an awards show. 
Yes, all reality TV is crap. It's just the same stuff over and over and over, but the masses love that crap so they keep producing and producing in the way that fake animated-by-the-French-but-looks-like-anime clones have polluted children's television.
How many times can we see Flavor Flav talk about his big clocks and his viking horns? How many times can we see Michael Ian Black make an ass of himself? How many times can Tara Reid lose her top for Entertainment Tonight? Have we really sunk this low? Yes.
I think it is due time for smart dudes to take over and bring something fresh to the stale table that is television. That's exactly why I want to write and create television someday. 
I really think that the next wave of TV will be animation and thought-provoking shows. What with the popularity of Family Guy and the movie Sideways, anything is possible. Reality TV WILL die a slow death soon, but over the next three or four years, it will hang on.

I also think that the FCC and the Parents Television Council need to lighten up a bit and get the hell out of the 1950s.  Same goes for the MPAA and RIAA and their technophobia. WHO THE HELL CARES?!? Get with the times, man.

I think most of these arguments about ReTV are repetitive and OLD, OLD, OLD. "Turn the TV off!" "If u don't like it, dont watch it!" "Reality TV is the shiznit. It will never leave!" "Chng the chnnell!". This just makes the animated VB script more annoying than it already is.

Written By: Howard on 01/19/05 at 6:11 pm

I'd rather see Fantasy TV. ;D

Oh,I'm sorry we already have that(Playboy & Spice) ;D

Howard

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/19/05 at 6:13 pm

"Reality TV" is an oxymoron, anyway.  "Reality TV" was never really real, just as silent movies in the silent era were never really silent!

Written By: Howard on 01/19/05 at 6:14 pm

speaking of Reality TV,it seems that Richard Hatch might be going to jail cause he forgot to pay some taxes or whatever the article had said.I'll have more news if I can find it.

Howard

Written By: Howard on 01/19/05 at 6:16 pm

"Reality TV" is an oxymoron, anyway.  "Reality TV" was never really real, just as silent movies in the silent era were never really silent!

Reality TV is something people like us wouldn't do like eat bugs for money,get facelifts,botox injections,fly off a plane,go bunjee jumping and some other stunts. :P

Howard

Written By: AL-B on 01/20/05 at 1:19 am

The only reality show that I  like is "The Amazing Race." Sometimes I think that if I could get on that show with my younger brother, we'd actually do quite well at it.

Written By: Dagwood on 01/20/05 at 7:17 am

The only reality show that I like is "The Amazing Race." Sometimes I think that if I could get on that show with my younger brother, we'd actually do quite well at it.

Let me know if you do ever get on that one...I love that show and would definately root for you. :)

Written By: Howard on 01/20/05 at 3:49 pm

What do you have to do in The Amazing Race ? ???

Howard

Written By: Dagwood on 01/21/05 at 7:22 am

What do you have to do in The Amazing Race ? ???

Howard

It's a race show.  You and a partner compete against 10 other teams in a race around the world.  You have clues that tell you where to go (like fly to England, etc).  Along the way there are tasks you have to complete to get clues.  (usually doing something that locals do...like this week the helped to put mud on a hut)  They have a pit stop (or rest area) where the last team to arrive gets eliminated.  This continues until there are two teams left...the first one to arrive at the end of that leg wins a million dollars.

Written By: Mona on 01/21/05 at 9:00 am

I think we can keep Extreme Makeover: Home Edition as well as The Amazing Race, those are at least decent shows.
And yes, we do need more family sitcoms back on TV. With Raymond signing off this spring, who's left to carry the torch? I want something along the lines of Home Improvement, or even Family Ties! Let's hear some feedback.

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

I love Extreme Makeover: Home Edition.  Never watch it without crying.  Though I must say I would be a little concerned about living in a house that was completely built in only 7 days.
As for the sitcoms I'd love to see more of those Home Improvement is one of my favorites.  I have a life, so I get enough reality.  TV should be for enlightening you or helping you forget your troubles.

Written By: thebutcheress on 01/21/05 at 12:51 pm

That's why reality shows should've stayed gone in the first place. :P

Howard

MTV's Real World started the reality trend almost 15 years ago, yet it didnt become a bad thing until around 2000. (IN my opinion) THink back to the early 90's. How many reality shows can you name??? I thought of Real world, road rules, that show that did X-treme sports and that was it.

PErhaps its the fact that the bar for reality tv is so low, now. Shows like the ones on TLC are good, I think. People who have no sense of style (in how to decorate and dressing themselves) get fixed. The end. No bugs, no marriages based on absolutely nothing.

THe reason why we hate reality tv now, is becuase of the overkill and the fact that the scenarios are ridiculous and would never happen in "reality".

In my eyes Joe MIllionaire was a crock of S**t. I mean who gets married to a millionaire who you met 3 monthes ago, for anything other than money. Oh and in my opinion Survivor should be stopped. THe first season was great and the same goes for big brother, but now its ridiculous. The producers are spending too much time trying to top the previous show instead of keeping viewers. I stopped watching Survivor mid-way through thte 2nd season and didnt watch one episode of this years "Big Brother". I also think MTV needs to stop with these stupid, real world\road rules challenges. IF I hear the word Alliance I'm goingto scream. :o

Written By: Howard on 01/21/05 at 3:12 pm

It's a race show.  You and a partner compete against 10 other teams in a race around the world.  You have clues that tell you where to go (like fly to England, etc).  Along the way there are tasks you have to complete to get clues.  (usually doing something that locals do...like this week the helped to put mud on a hut)  They have a pit stop (or rest area) where the last team to arrive gets eliminated.  This continues until there are two teams left...the first one to arrive at the end of that leg wins a million dollars.

Oh wow,that's cool Dag.So,I can choose a guy or a girl if I wanted to? How long in a day do they have to do these stunts? ???

Howard

Written By: Howard on 01/21/05 at 3:15 pm

I love Extreme Makeover: Home Edition.  Never watch it without crying.  Though I must say I would be a little concerned about living in a house that was completely built in only 7 days.
As for the sitcoms I'd love to see more of those Home Improvement is one of my favorites.  I have a life, so I get enough reality.  TV should be for enlightening you or helping you forget your troubles.

Extreme Makeover Home Edition is cool but I just don't think anyone can build a house in 7 days. ::)
I would like for them to rebuild our house before we finally move to Florida.Any chances of them doing that? ;D

Howard

Written By: Howard on 01/21/05 at 3:18 pm

Fear Factor is cool but I just can't see myself eating live/dead bugs for money unless they cover it up with chocolate or something. :P

Howard

Written By: Dagwood on 01/21/05 at 8:35 pm

Oh wow,that's cool Dag.So,I can choose a guy or a girl if I wanted to? How long in a day do they have to do these stunts? ???

Howard

You choose your own partner, you would need to apply together.  There isn't really time limit to the stunts since it is a race.  It is almost like a scavenger hunt type of race.  It is a cool show...you should watch an episode. :)

Written By: Howard on 01/22/05 at 2:14 pm

You choose your own partner, you would need to apply together.  There isn't really time limit to the stunts since it is a race.  It is almost like a scavenger hunt type of race.  It is a cool show...you should watch an episode. :)

I should.Maybe I can ask my friend Robin if she'd like to apply.Could you do so on line or in person?
Thank You.when is it on again? ???

Howard

Written By: Dagwood on 01/22/05 at 5:15 pm

I'm not sure how to apply, Howard...I have never thought about doing it.  Check the website and I am sure they will tell you.

http://www.cbs.com/primetime/amazing_race6/

It is on Tuesday evenings.  I am not sure what time in New York, though.  Probably 7 or 8 pm. :)

Written By: Howard on 01/23/05 at 12:57 pm

I'm not sure how to apply, Howard...I have never thought about doing it.  Check the website and I am sure they will tell you.

http://www.cbs.com/primetime/amazing_race6/

It is on Tuesday evenings.  I am not sure what time in New York, though.  Probably 7 or 8 pm. :)

Thanks Dag.I'll try to watch it. :)

Howard

Check for new replies or respond here...