inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Which Is Worse: (Dare I Write) Debbie Gibson or Britney Spears

Written By: woops on 01/21/05 at 4:56 pm

The inspiration: http://www.prince.org/msg/8/127732?pr

http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Park/7255/copycat.jpg

I know both are from different eras and both were completely different pop singers...

I'll select Britney Spears for many reasons.   :P Especially covering "I Love Rock n' Roll" & "My Prerogative"

Unlike the '80's teen queen, she doesn't write/produced her own songs nor played any instruments. 

Some info about Deborah Gibson: http://www.discomuseum.com/DebbieGibson.html

Some info about Britney Spears: http://www.world-of-celebrities.com/britney-spears/

Subject: Re: Which Is Worse: (Dare I Write) Debbie Gibson or Britney Spears

Written By: AL-B on 01/21/05 at 5:24 pm

Britney Spears. At least Debbie Gibson can sing.

Written By: Indy Gent on 01/21/05 at 6:01 pm

I hope RnR doesn't see this poll. (But he'll probably will and pick Britney. ;))

Written By: woops on 01/21/05 at 6:06 pm

As for looks, Deborah Gibson...  :)  :-* (She looked cute in the '80's & looks more attractive now)

I changed my sig to a video clip from "Shake Your Love"  :D

Written By: neebs25 on 01/21/05 at 6:14 pm

I chose Britney.  being at that age in the 80s, I was a big time Debbie Gibson fan, just like how in 15-20 years from now,  8yr.olds favorite will be Britney over whoever is currently popular at that time.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/21/05 at 7:01 pm

No question, Britney is worse.  Unlike Gibson, Speares is devoid of talent, is the postergirl for Teen Sluts of America,and is still around to be annoying seven years later!
:P

Written By: Tanya1976 on 01/21/05 at 7:18 pm

Britney! I actually loved Debbie back then! I still sing (or scream, rather) "Only in My Dreams" when I get the chance.

Tanya

Written By: AngeFaitore on 01/21/05 at 7:58 pm

Bratney Queers.

Written By: neebs25 on 01/21/05 at 9:29 pm

Britney! I actually loved Debbie back then! I still sing (or scream, rather) "Only in My Dreams" when I get the chance.

Tanya

AS REAL AS IT MAY SEE-E-EM.....IT WAS ONLY IN MY DREAMMSSSSSS!!!! ;D ;D ;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/21/05 at 9:54 pm

Britney....

Written By: Chrisrj on 01/22/05 at 6:30 am

I chose Britney, but just to be nice.  Also, her 55-min. marriage, and her recent relationship troubles... come on!

Her later albums actually do have her writing her own songs(with some help).  As for songwriting itself, I personally don't care, as long as the song and music are good.  That's just me, though.

At least Britney didn't do "Electric Youth".... think about that, fellas :P

Written By: RockandRollFan on 01/22/05 at 9:46 am

No question, Britney is worse.  Unlike Gibson, Speares is devoid of talent, is the postergirl for Teen Sluts of America,and is still around to be annoying seven years later!
:P
Sorry Indy, I found it! Though I do think Britney is just about as pretty as Debbie. Thier really is no comparison in my mind. woops, correct me if I'm wrong, or add to this stuff....wasn't Debbie the first girl to write her own stuff and have it go to #1....teenager? Help! I know it's something like that. As for Spears, when she was asked about "I Love Rock And Roll" she said something like she'd love to do a Pat Benatar song :o ::) Max, I love your well worded reply ;)

Written By: Bobby on 01/22/05 at 9:52 am

Britney Spears is worst.

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 01/22/05 at 11:16 am

There is really only 9-10 years seperating the Debbie Gibson era (1987-1990) from the start of the Britney era (late 1998-present), and their age difference is 10 years too.  So it's not like we are comparing two wildly different times, but yes they are different enough.

Britney Spears is more annoying, because she is everywhere and anywhere.  Debbie Gibson was never anywhere near as huge as Britney, and Debbie was limited to teen magazines and stuff like that.  Britney is just TOO BIG, and therefore too annoying.  Plus, Debbie Gibson kinda acted the way a normal teenager acts at ages 16-19.  Debbie Gibson was clearly a kid, but not too much of a blatant kid.   Britney Spears always put on this "I'm so innocent and I'm 18 but really only 11 or 12 years old" act.  Her acting even younger then she was came off as really annoying.

A lot of the teenagers that made Britney popular in 1998, 1999, and 2000 would actually have been old enough to remember Debbie Gibson, Tiffany, and NKOTB from when they were small children in the late 80s and early 90s.  I always wondered if that's the reason the teen pop stuff came back into style during that millenium time.

Written By: Mergal on 01/22/05 at 1:07 pm

I'm tired of Britney (she is BS!).  At least Debbie was more real during her teen idol days (and I still like "Foolish Beat" and "Only In My Dreams" btw).

Written By: Howard on 01/22/05 at 1:46 pm

Brittney Spears

And she has A Best Of CD? What is she nuts? She's been on the music scene for almost 6 years for crying-out-loud ::)

Howard

Written By: woops on 01/22/05 at 3:49 pm

At least Britney didn't do "Electric Youth".... think about that, fellas :P

True, but she also has a perfume

Debbie Gibson... the youngest artist to write, produce, & perform a #1 hit with "Foolish Beat" (1988, at age 17)

Britney Spears... Before Jessica Simpson's tuna/chicken thing, Britney had no idea who Yoko Ono is...  ::)  :P

Written By: RockandRollFan on 01/22/05 at 6:15 pm

True, but she also has a perfume

Debbie Gibson... the youngest artist to write, produce, & perform a #1 hit with "Foolish Beat" (1988, at age 17)

Britney Spears... Before Jessica Simpson's tuna/chicken thing, Britney had no idea who Yoko Ono is...  ::)  :P
Thanks, TAHT is the info I was looking for...as for Spears she also thought Pat benatar did "I Love Rock And Roll"  ::)

Written By: woops on 01/22/05 at 6:30 pm

Slightly off topic, but Avril Lavinge had no clue who David Bowie, Sex Pistols, Duran Duran, etc. are.  :P

Atleast Debbie Gibson idolized Billy Joel and was familiar with Motown from the '60's, which she did some covers on her tours.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 01/22/05 at 6:42 pm

Slightly off topic, but Avril Lavinge had no clue who David Bowie, Sex Pistols, Duran Duran, etc. are.  :P

Atleast Debbie Gibson idolized Billy Joel and was familiar with Motown from the '60's, which she did some covers on her tours.

Yet another of the many reasons I like and respect her so much :)

Written By: woops on 01/22/05 at 7:07 pm

I'm suprised that there's hardly any rude comment about Deborah (Debbie) Gibson.  :)

Like the messageboard where I got the idea of this thread for example.  :P (It's on the first page of this thead)

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/23/05 at 7:30 am

Deborah Gibson definitely has a better voice than Britney.  I'd party with her.  :P

As for Britney, I never thought I'd say this but, after the past year's events with Jason Alexander and Kevin Federline especially, I definitely would NOT party with her.  :-\\

Written By: Howard on 01/23/05 at 12:26 pm

Would anyone have thought that Debbie Gibson would've lasted with Kevin Federline more than Brittney did? ;D

Howard

Written By: Tanya1976 on 01/23/05 at 12:34 pm

That's because she's a 70s kid! We were more exposed to (and appreciated) older sounds than the younger generations.

Tanya

Written By: Tanya1976 on 01/23/05 at 12:35 pm

Would anyone have thought that Debbie Gibson would've lasted with Kevin Federline more than Brittney did? ;D

Howard

Debbie wouldn't lower her standards to be with him, as Britney did. But then again, Britney obviously didn't have any thanks to her mother.

Tanya

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 01/23/05 at 1:04 pm

That's because she's a 70s kid! We were more exposed to (and appreciated) older sounds than the younger generations.

Tanya

I've also noticed that those of us born in the 70s know about older movies and TV shows a lot more then the typical born in 1985 or 1988 kid.  I know plenty about 70s TV shows and movies, even though I was born in 1975.  A lot of these kids born in the 80s don't know anything about the 80s, often citing that they "weren't around".

I think the explanation lies in the fact that when we were growing up in the 80s, TV generally showed far more reruns of old TV shows and movies.  In the 90s and present day, with nearly everyone having cable TV or sattelite dishes, old TV shows generally are not that popular...unless you watch TV Land or Nick at Nite regularly.  And syndicated stations don't air reruns of I Dream of Jeannie or Welcome Back Kotter anymore, instead since the mid 90s all they air is Paid Programming infomercials or courtroom TV like Judge Judy.  So we knew about movies and TV shows from the 40s, 50s, 60s, and 70s.   

Written By: Tanya1976 on 01/23/05 at 1:30 pm

I've also noticed that those of us born in the 70s know about older movies and TV shows a lot more then the typical born in 1985 or 1988 kid.  I know plenty about 70s TV shows and movies, even though I was born in 1975.  A lot of these kids born in the 80s don't know anything about the 80s, often citing that they "weren't around".

I think the explanation lies in the fact that when we were growing up in the 80s, TV generally showed far more reruns of old TV shows and movies.  In the 90s and present day, with nearly everyone having cable TV or sattelite dishes, old TV shows generally are not that popular...unless you watch TV Land or Nick at Nite regularly.  And syndicated stations don't air reruns of I Dream of Jeannie or Welcome Back Kotter anymore, instead since the mid 90s all they air is Paid Programming infomercials or courtroom TV like Judge Judy.  So we knew about movies and TV shows from the 40s, 50s, 60s, and 70s.   

That's true. Cable wasn't big in the 80s. If you had it, great. If you didn't, great. We didn't really rely on it as much as today.

Tanya

Written By: woops on 01/23/05 at 3:24 pm

Deborah Gibson definitely has a better voice than Britney.  I'd party with her.  :P

As for Britney, I never thought I'd say this but, after the past year's events with Jason Alexander and Kevin Federline especially, I definitely would NOT party with her.  :-\\

Jason Alexander?

And there's '80's kids that appreciates music & pop culture from the past too.  :D

But not many (or any) singers I know of... :P

Written By: Indy Gent on 01/24/05 at 2:43 pm

Not the same one. ;D
Jason Alexander?

Written By: FullHouseFan! on 01/24/05 at 3:15 pm

Britney is worse.  I'm not saying that because she's current, it's just:

1. She's more annoying
2. She's been around longer than Debbie's 3-4 yrs
3. She gave up talent to become a whore
4. She is musically worse (although her 1999 stuff is tolerable

Written By: Howard on 01/24/05 at 6:22 pm

Debbie has been around for 17 years as for Brittney 12 years.

Howard

Written By: woops on 01/24/05 at 6:56 pm

Debbie has been around for 17 years as for Brittney 12 years.

Howard

Deborah Gibson came 'Out of the Blue' in 1987... 18 years ago

Britney Spears came onto the scene in early 1999 (December 1998)... 6 years ago, oddly enough the same year I started to listen to Debbie Gibson... 

Written By: Howard on 01/24/05 at 7:03 pm

Deborah Gibson came 'Out of the Blue' in 1987... 18 years ago

Britney Spears came onto the scene in early 1999 (December 1998)... 6 years ago, oddly enough the same year I started to listen to Debbie Gibson... 

Wasn't The Mickey Mouse Club part of her career? ???

Howard

Written By: woops on 01/24/05 at 7:06 pm

Wasn't The Mickey Mouse Club part of her career? ???

Howard

Yes she (Britney Spears)  did, though she wasn't on the show until the later seasons.  Though I don't remember since I'm not a fan of that show.

Written By: woops on 01/29/05 at 2:15 am

I remember on an interview that B.S. siad that she doesn't want to end up like Deborah Gibson and is more influenced towards Madonna... well... she's right

Deborah Gibson is now a respectable Broadway actress (BTW, musical theatre is her passion) and still releases great music while Madonna, who haven't had a good song since "Vogue" is now  a walking tabloid target who puts out albums that gets worse every year...  :P

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/29/05 at 2:22 am

Both as bad as  each other.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 12/16/06 at 4:31 am

Both.

Check for new replies or respond here...