inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The First Nonsmoking Nation

Written By: Hairspray on 01/22/05 at 1:06 pm

The Himalayan kingdom, Bhutan, banned tobacco. Could the rest of the world follow?

My questions:

How would you feel about that kind of a change? Would you welcome it?

The article for those interested:

http://slate.msn.com/id/2112449/?GT1=6065

Subject: Re: The First Nonsmoking Nation

Written By: Apricot on 01/22/05 at 1:45 pm

I applaud it. Personally, I'm a do it in private if you're gonna where nobody's getting your secondhand cancer kinda guy, but people just don't do that. And your family still suffers, so way to go, Bhutan!

Written By: Howard on 01/22/05 at 1:49 pm

I'm sure New York could follow next. ::)

Howard

Written By: Dagwood on 01/22/05 at 5:08 pm

I am a non smoker, but I don't think it is right.  Basically what they have done is ban smoking even in the privacy of your own home.  Like the article said, if you can't get it you can't smoke it.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 01/22/05 at 6:14 pm

If only to get smokers to stop flicking thier disgusting cigarette butts all over the place :P

Written By: Alchoholica on 01/22/05 at 6:47 pm

*cough* Nannystate *cough*

Written By: RockandRollFan on 01/22/05 at 6:57 pm

I feel that if people feel the need to smoke they should be able to in there own home. I come to your house and your a smoker, I'm not going to ask you to not smoke....but if you come to my house be prepared to make it through your visit smoke free. NO link between second hand smoke and tobacco related diseases...hmm and I have some ocean front property in Nebraska for anyone who actually believes that ::)

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 01/23/05 at 12:10 am

I would vote for it.

Cant stand smoke or smokers.

It will never happen in countries like Aus and US (and I would imagine Europe) - the taxes on cigarettes practically pay for roads and hospitals here - and I would imagine elsewhere. The governments would have to find something else to over tax in order to make up for the losses.

My state government has brought in its newest smoking law this month. Smoking outside building entrances is forbidden within 15 metres.  The smokers in my building have been relegated to a little murky alleyway halfway down the street !!

Written By: Howard on 01/23/05 at 12:29 pm

If only to get smokers to stop flicking thier disgusting cigarette butts all over the place :P

You got that right Mark. ::)

Howard

Written By: karen on 01/24/05 at 5:37 am

My state government has brought in its newest smoking law this month. Smoking outside building entrances is forbidden within 15 metres.  The smokers in my building have been relegated to a little murky alleyway halfway down the street !!

There are some people at work that would like that law.  Most of the doorways in the buildings where I work have polite notices asking people not to smoke in the immediate vicinity.  However that is the location of the butt bins (not that they are used much)

Written By: Gis on 01/24/05 at 9:27 am

Well they banned smoking in pubs in Ireland and I understand the U.K is meant to follow soon.I'm quite happy with that,as an ex-smoker I am very antismoking now.I hate choking on other peoples smoke when I'm out and I hate coming home stinking of cigerettes.
As to a total ban I don't really see how you can tell people what to do in their own homes ..............

Written By: AL-B on 01/24/05 at 10:03 am

I would vote for it.

Cant stand smoke or smokers.

It will never happen in countries like Aus and US (and I would imagine Europe) - the taxes on cigarettes practically pay for roads and hospitals here - and I would imagine elsewhere. The governments would have to find something else to over tax in order to make up for the losses.

Does this mean you can't stand me??? :\'(

Seriously, though... do you really think it's a good idea to make tobacco illegal and turn otherwise honest, decent people into criminals? I mean, back in the 1910's there were people who thought that outlawing alcohol was a good idea and we all know how well that worked out. I don't know how the situation is in Australia, but here in the U.S. we already have a problem with prison overcrowding (especially with non-violent drug offenders, but that's another topic altogether).
     Actually, I hope they DO outlaw tobacco. I've always had Walter Mitty-like fantasies of being a bootlegger.  ;)

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 01/25/05 at 8:41 am

Does this mean you can't stand me??? :\'(

You will always be an online pal - but not welcome in my home !! 

Sounds harsh yes - but the last of my smoking friends quit last weekend for her 37th birthday - just so she could visit me again cos I had banned her !!!

What smokers dont realise - not thru ignorance - but just because they are surrounded by it - is the smell that follows them everywhere.

When my smoking friend visited - she went outside to smoke - but hours after she left - the smokey stench from her body and clothes remained on my sofa, in my curtains, in my carpet. It was vile.

Next time she wanted to visit I was pretty straight with her and said not till she quit !!!

As for bootlegging - dont know about over there - but here we have "chop chop" growers. People who illegally grow tobacco and sell it. Because it can be grown cheaply and sold for a pittance and is obviously cheating the taxation system - its highly illegal and carries a 20 year jail sentence.  For smokers who currently pay $10 a pack - chop chop can be bought for $2.

Why on earth would a country with death penalties in certain states still suffer from overcrowded prisons ?  Just kill some of them to make room !!!!!!!!  ;)
Ours too are overcrowded - but not only do I have UTTERLY no sympathy for anyone who breaks the law, I also believe they should be in cells so overcrowded that they think twice about the criminal life as a career !!!!

Check for new replies or respond here...