inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Debbie Gibson to pose for Playboy

Written By: neebs25 on 01/26/05 at 2:47 pm

Just got done reading the local news and found out that Debbi Gibson may soon pose for Playboy in the near future.  That should make you boys happy....heres the link:

www.clickondetroit.com/entertainment/4131772/detail.html

P.S.  not sure how to put a link on the board so you guys can directly access it.  hope this works.  sorry if it dosn't

Subject: Re: Debbie Gibson to pose for Playboy

Written By: neebs25 on 01/26/05 at 2:48 pm

o.k. that was easy I guess I did it right.  learn something everyday right? ::)

Written By: AL-B on 01/26/05 at 3:50 pm

Anythig to compete with Tiffany... ;D ;D ;D

Written By: woops on 01/26/05 at 5:55 pm

IMO, Broadway diva/'80's pop singer Deborah Gibson looks more attractive than Tiffany...  :-*  :D  8)

I'll check out the issue... 

And unlike Tiffany, Deborah Gibson has a successful career in theatre & still puts out albums under her web site...

Written By: RockandRollFan on 01/26/05 at 5:57 pm

IMO, Broadway diva/'80's pop singer Deborah Gibson looks more attractive than Tiffany...  :-*  :D  8)

And unlike Tiffany, Deborah Gibson has a successful career in theatre & still puts out albums under her web site...

Well said, woops :)

Written By: woops on 01/26/05 at 6:07 pm

Oh, almost forgot... as for 'shedding her good girl image' (Which I know may bring up)...

I've seen recent pictures of Deborah wearing midriffs and low cut shirts...

Not to mention costumes in such plays like "Caberet".

Some pics:

http://www.naturally-deborah-gibson.net/debpics.htm

Oh, for those interested to know what's her voice is now I'd reccomend "Colored Lights: The Broadway Album", which I actually enjoyed despite the fact I don't care for the genre... As for pop,,, "M.Y.O.B.", which has good songs like "Your Secret" & "Down That Road".

Written By: Howard on 01/26/05 at 6:17 pm

I'll be sure to buy myself a copy for my pleasure. ;)

Howard

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 01/26/05 at 6:24 pm

You just know that if Britney Spears were posing for Playboy there would be a totally different reaction to this.  Double standard? 

Written By: woops on 01/26/05 at 6:29 pm

You just know that if Britney Spears were posing for Playboy there would be a totally different reaction to this.  Double standard? 

It might be 'shocking' if Britney & Christina becomes  religious like Vanity or Samantha Fox...

Written By: Howard on 01/26/05 at 6:43 pm

It might be 'shocking' if Britney & Christina becomes  religious like Vanity or Samantha Fox...

Or if Brittney,Christina & Debbie both pose together nude,I'll be a happy camper! ;) ;)

Howard

Written By: Tanya1976 on 01/26/05 at 7:52 pm

Quite honestly, woops, for a person like her to pose for Playboy, it's the mark of "has-beenism". She needs some kind of attention. For most has-beens, Playboy's the place to go. Look at Tiffany. But, it didn't work for her (and it won't work for Debbie in this case). It's sad really.

Tanya

Written By: Sean1983 on 01/26/05 at 8:49 pm

woops, I can't stop looking at that avatar.  It is greatly hypnotic.

I don't view this as a calculated move to become a popstar again.  In my opinion, Deborah can do whatever she wants and I say that because of the high esteem that I hold her in as an artist (hers is the only fanclub I would pay money to join).  I could see how people would view it like this though and, I guess, as a fan, it is my job to defend her.  Taking this role, I don't believe she will represent her self in an excessively tawdry manner (though that judgement is elusive to define and is based on societal biases of sexuality).  She herself has stated that she has artistic control over the situation and the photos will be tasteful (another judgement that is elusive to define and is based on societal biases of sexuality). 

Regardless, Deborah is a busy woman who still economically supports herself adequately through her music and musical roles.  I don't see it as a cry for money. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/26/05 at 9:17 pm

I'll be sure to buy myself a copy for my pleasure. ;)

Howard

Now there's a case of TMI, (Too Much Information)!
;)

I might have to pick up a copy of this one, too.  I think the last issue I bought was the one with Patti Davis (the Gipper's daughter).
8)

Written By: woops on 01/27/05 at 12:22 am

woops, I can't stop looking at that avatar.  It is greatly hypnotic.

I don't view this as a calculated move to become a popstar again.  In my opinion, Deborah can do whatever she wants and I say that because of the high esteem that I hold her in as an artist (hers is the only fanclub I would pay money to join).  I could see how people would view it like this though and, I guess, as a fan, it is my job to defend her.  Taking this role, I don't believe she will represent her self in an excessively tawdry manner (though that judgement is elusive to define and is based on societal biases of sexuality).  She herself has stated that she has artistic control over the situation and the photos will be tasteful (another judgement that is elusive to define and is based on societal biases of sexuality). 

Regardless, Deborah is a busy woman who still economically supports herself adequately through her music and musical roles.  I don't see it as a cry for money.   

Ditto

And I'm tired of people referring her as a 'hasbeen'...She's well known in the theatre district and still have fans

I'm not a fan of Mark Wahlburg (Marky Mark) and I wouldn't call him a  'hasbeen' for the fact I only like "The Italian Job" and not familiar with his other film work besides "Boogie Nights"...

Written By: Howard on 01/27/05 at 3:56 pm

Now there's a case of TMI, (Too Much Information)!
;)

I might have to pick up a copy of this one, too.  I think the last issue I bought was the one with Patti Davis (the Gipper's daughter).
8)

Max,I read it for the pictorials. ;)

Howard

Written By: Howard on 01/27/05 at 3:59 pm

Do you think this issue will sell despite of what she might get herself into? ???

Howard

Written By: woops on 01/27/05 at 4:02 pm

Have anybody seen her theatre work or listened to her albums (post "Anything Is Possible", 1990)?    :)

Do you think this issue will sell despite of what she might get herself into? ???

Howard

It'll sell fairly well and she's already successful in theatre and won't make much of a difference since she's still a great singer.  :)

Have Tiffany released albums besides "Color Of Silence" prior to or since? (Not counting her last album she made as a teen idol)

Written By: Howard on 01/27/05 at 4:03 pm

Have anybody seen her theatre work or listened to her albums (post "Anything Is Possible", 1990)?    :)

It'll sell fairly well and she's already successful in theatre and won't make much of a difference since she's still a great singer.  :)

Have Tiffany released albums besides "Color Of Silence" prior to or since? (Not counting her last album she made as a teen idol)

I think we might see a lot of horny perverts(especially me)to oogle at her body. ;)

Howard

Written By: woops on 01/27/05 at 4:08 pm

I think we might see a lot of horny perverts(especially me)to oogle at her body. ;)

Howard

No comment...  :-X

I wonder what if Tiffany's son (I think he's 14) was to get a copy...  ::)

(I started to listen to her music in 1998 and started to like mer 'latter' albums in 1999 as a teenager)

Written By: Howard on 01/27/05 at 4:11 pm

No comment...  :-X

I wonder what if Tiffany's son (I think he's 14) was to get a copy...  ::)

She'd probably take it away from him.Who knows. ::)

Howard

Written By: NullandVoid on 01/27/05 at 5:58 pm

Now that's just sad...maybe this would have been more interesting about 10 yrs ago. Then again i was never a fan of Debbie Gibson anyway.

Written By: Sean1983 on 01/28/05 at 6:15 am

Tiffany put out an album called Dreams Never Die in 1993.  Personally, I think it is a beautifully sung album that beats Hold An Old Friend's Hand and, from what parts I've heard, the New Inside album of 1990.  Unfortunately, it was only released in Japan (luckily I managed to find an import at a local used store here in Vancouver for cheap - hadn't seen it before, have never seen it since).  Apparently, the reason is that after it was released in Japan, Tiffany found out that most of the songs on the album (written mostly by George Tobin) were previously used by another of Tobin's boy-band groups, angering her greatly and causing her to sever ties with Tobin.  She scrapped any type of release in North America.  Dreams Never Die was the last thing she put out until Color Of Silence and she hasn't released anything since.  Having liked Color Of Silence, I hope she puts something out soon.  Officially, Color Of Silence is her only North American release since New Inside.

Written By: AngeFaitore on 01/28/05 at 8:53 am

Debra (She doesn't call herself Debbie... Bob forbid) SHAKES HER LOVE!!!

Written By: Tanya1976 on 01/28/05 at 3:25 pm

I don't consider Mark Wahlberg a has-been b/c he cleverly went into another direction successfully. This reality is almost rare in Hollywood (or celebrity life).

Tanya

Written By: Howard on 01/28/05 at 3:34 pm

Debra (She doesn't call herself Debbie... Bob forbid) SHAKES HER LOVE!!!

She better shake what she's got in PLAYBOY! ;D

Howard

Written By: woops on 01/28/05 at 3:53 pm

Tiffany put out an album called Dreams Never Die in 1993.  Personally, I think it is a beautifully sung album that beats Hold An Old Friend's Hand and, from what parts I've heard, the New Inside album of 1990.  Unfortunately, it was only released in Japan (luckily I managed to find an import at a local used store here in Vancouver for cheap - hadn't seen it before, have never seen it since).  Apparently, the reason is that after it was released in Japan, Tiffany found out that most of the songs on the album (written mostly by George Tobin) were previously used by another of Tobin's boy-band groups, angering her greatly and causing her to sever ties with Tobin.  She scrapped any type of release in North America.  Dreams Never Die was the last thing she put out until Color Of Silence and she hasn't released anything since.  Having liked Color Of Silence, I hope she puts something out soon. Officially, Color Of Silence is her only North American release since New Inside.

Thanks, though I'm not a fan of Tiffany. IMO, her voice was too thin. Though I've heard many comparisons of "Color Of Silence" to to work of Alanis Morissette. Which ironically was a teen singer singer in Canada in the late '80's/early '90's. If she were to be a popular teen idol in the states, "Jagged Little Pill" would've been a flop. IMO

Written By: Sean1983 on 01/29/05 at 6:04 am

Thanks, though I'm not a fan of Tiffany. IMO, her voice was too thin. Though I've heard many comparisons of "Color Of Silence" to to work of Alanis Morissette. Which ironically was a teen singer singer in Canada in the late '80's/early '90's. If she were to be a popular teen idol in the states, "Jagged Little Pill" would've been a flop. IMO

Yeah, I remember that Alanis had her teen-dance hits around '91 or so and when she was on YTV.  My estimate is that in Alanis's reinvention, washing away her teen-pop past, largely ignored in America, she struck a nerve with her lyrical style and defiant attitude with feminist connotations at a particular point of the mid-90s during which the public was greatly receptive and, somehow, was able to sever ties with her past in a way that most artists can't.  I will definitely agree that all Tiffany's first two albums were sung by a woman growing into her voice.  On DND and COS, she definitely has a smokier voice.  I still love Deborah's more.

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/29/05 at 12:17 pm

8)

Patti Davis ???

Now that would be a NASTY Playboy spread.

Pardon me while I hurl...

Written By: Howard on 01/30/05 at 8:46 pm

Patti Davis ???

or Drew Barrymore's Mother. :P(hurl) ;D

Howard

Written By: woops on 02/09/05 at 10:55 pm

Censored images from Playboy  were shown on "Acess Hollywood" today and she looks HOT!!!   8)

And I also can't wait for Deborah Gibson's upcoming single "Naked".   :)

And I did some research on Mark Walhburg and I noticed that his last couple films "Rock Star" & the "Planet of the Apes" remake flopped.  BTW, I have nothing against him.  :)

Written By: Howard on 02/10/05 at 3:15 pm

when do the uncensored pics arrive?

Howard

Written By: woops on 02/10/05 at 4:35 pm

when do the uncensored pics arrive?

Howard

Tomorrow

February 11th  :)

Written By: Howard on 02/10/05 at 4:37 pm

Tomorrow

February 11th  :)

I can't wait.I'll be the first in line. ;D (just kidding) ;)

Howard

Subject: Woops' Playboy Review (PG rated)

Written By: woops on 02/20/05 at 5:00 pm

Though  Paris Hilton is on the cover...  ::)  :P The highlight of the issue is the 8 page spread of one of the greatest entertainers of All Time: Deborah Gibson.

The pictures were actually classy and done in good taste instead of being trashy like any Britney Spears video.

The article stated that Deb lost "it" at age 19, which is no suprise since she probably wasn't the "good girl" that the media had labled her, and a shamless promotion of her latest single "Naked". Which is unfortunate to have a great talent to pose just to promote a single or new album. Though there's another side of me that liked the spread of Deborah & other celebrities on the issue, well except for Paris Hilton.  :P Heck, she wasn't even naked...  ::) The issue also had the 25 sexiest celebrities and why not Carmen Electra instead?

Back to the topic...

The single (supposedly) comes out everywhere on March 8. But now only available on Tower Records or something.

Have anybody heard "Naked"?

And she deserves a comeback!

Donny Osmond, though I can't stand him, had a comeback in 1989 with "Soldier Of Love"

New Edition has a successful reunion in the mid 1990's

Joey McIntyre & Jordan Knight from NKOTB both has solo albums in 1999 that did OK on the charts

Why not the multi talented Deborah Gibson?

Written By: sputnikcorp on 02/20/05 at 5:11 pm

she is definitly fapworthy.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/20/05 at 6:48 pm

Patti Davis ???

I dunno, a few licks of airbrushing and she looked mighty fine to me!

Check for new replies or respond here...