inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 2020-Turn of the millenium nostalgia or...

Written By: 1992thousand on 01/26/05 at 6:10 pm

a Roaring 20s comeback! Now wouldn't that just be the best. We'll all be havin parties dressin up like Gatsby characters  ;D

it'll all be gravy so long as no-one attempts to kill themselves in 2029 if they go broke.

Subject: Re: 2020-Turn of the millenium nostalgia or...

Written By: FullHouseFan! on 01/26/05 at 6:44 pm

;D    I think people will forget all the bad stuff about now by then  8)

Written By: Howard on 01/26/05 at 6:45 pm

We'll see what happens 15 years from now. ;)

Howard

Written By: temaichi on 09/09/17 at 11:08 pm

Howard

You mean 3 years from now. Loool! ;D ;D

Written By: Longaotian00 on 09/10/17 at 3:24 am

Howard

Wow. I'm over here 12 years into the future and 2020 is less than 2.5 years away :o. OP guessed it right there's already lots of nostalgia for the late 90s/early 2000s.

I'm actually really excited for the year 2020,  I'll be 19 on that New Years and it's gonna be great! However, Im really gonna be sad to leave the '10s :\'(

Written By: Shemp97 on 09/10/17 at 9:58 am

2020 will hopefully be a refreshing year. It can't wait to say goodbye to this cancerous decade.

Better technology, the rise of UK grime to replace the ailing HipHop genre, the return of action cartoons, 3D platformers etc. The 2020s sound like they will return to good old days of the 00's, but with more conveniences like self-driving cars and Amazon go stores.

Written By: temaichi on 09/10/17 at 10:23 am

Wow. I'm over here 12 years into the future and 2020 is less than 2.5 years away :o. OP guessed it right there's already lots of nostalgia for the late 90s/early 2000s.

I'm actually really excited for the year 2020,  I'll be 19 on that New Years and it's gonna be great! However, Im really gonna be sad to leave the '10s :\'(

I believe there will be a big nostalgia of the 2010s in the 2030s. But i doubt it if the future will be better then this boring decade. I'll also be 19 years old on New years! Im gonna try to travel to New York to see the ball drop for the year 2020! :-\\

Written By: Rainbowz on 09/10/17 at 10:46 am

I'm definitely going to miss the 2010's too. But 2020 will probably be a great year because that's the year I graduate from HS. It's also scary knowing that in 2020, 2010 will be a decade ago.  :o

Written By: mxcrashxm on 09/10/17 at 11:36 am

Yeah, I can't wait until 2020 hits! It's going to be a blast! :D

Written By: Howard on 09/10/17 at 2:31 pm

You mean 3 years from now. Loool! ;D ;D

Damn, I can't believe I wrote that. ;D

Written By: Howard on 09/10/17 at 2:33 pm

I'm actually really excited for the year 2020, I'll be 19 on that New Years and it's gonna be great! However, Im really gonna be sad to leave the '10s :\'(

I'll be 46.

Written By: Looney Toon on 09/10/17 at 3:08 pm

Howard

DADGUM, Howard! Feels weird to see a post from you that was made literally over a decade ago. And yet you're still on this site. It's almost like seeing a past version of you on the same place that I can see a current version of you.  :o

Written By: Howard on 09/10/17 at 3:13 pm

DADGUM, Howard! Feels weird to see a post from you that was made literally over a decade ago. And yet you're still on this site. It's almost like seeing a past version of you on the same place that I can see a current version of you.  :o

I know it feels weird.  :o

Written By: temaichi on 09/10/17 at 3:52 pm

I know it feels weird.  :o

Its actually really cool! But you're probably the person i respect the most on the site. I am not sure if i would stay active in any website or app for over a decade! Dude, thats soo cool though!! I was literally 4 years old when you posted that and now im 17. How do you feel? ::)

Written By: Longaotian00 on 09/10/17 at 4:14 pm

Its actually really cool! But you're probably the person i respect the most on the site. I am not sure if i would stay active in any website or app for over a decade! Dude, thats soo cool though!! I was literally 4 years old when you posted that and now im 17. How do you feel? ::)

I agree. I don't think I could ever stay somewhere for that long lol. And he's been here for like 16 years, basically my whole life ;D

Written By: wixness on 09/10/17 at 5:06 pm

2020 will hopefully be a refreshing year. It can't wait to say goodbye to this cancerous decade.

Better technology, the rise of UK grime to replace the ailing HipHop genre, the return of action cartoons, 3D platformers etc. The 2020s sound like they will return to good old days of the 00's, but with more conveniences like self-driving cars and Amazon go stores.

Rooting for the comeback of rock and emo as well as much of these. Platformers, I'm not a big fan of though.

Written By: Shemp97 on 09/10/17 at 5:56 pm

Rooting for the comeback of rock and emo as well as much of these. Platformers, I'm not a big fan of though.

I'd rather see anything but shooters. To an extent, video games are the one thing the mid to late 2010s does better than the late 00s. So many shooters on the 360 and PS3, yet it certainly wasn't golden age for the genre.

Written By: wixness on 09/10/17 at 5:57 pm

I'd rather see anything but shooters. Too an extent video games are the one thing the mid to late 2010s does better than the late 00s. So many shooters on the 360 and PS3, yet it certainly wasn't golden age for the genre.

I'm more into features and customisation as well as an open world. I would like customisation in games and other gameplay features to get more complex, almost as if you're living in another life.

Written By: bchris02 on 09/10/17 at 10:12 pm

I'd rather see anything but shooters. Too an extent video games are the one thing the mid to late 2010s does better than the late 00s. So many shooters on the 360 and PS3, yet it certainly wasn't golden age for the genre.

I agree with you here.  As a PC gamer, the worst years for the platform was 2007 through about 2011.

I think the shooter genre, especially the online multiplayer team deathmatch sub-genre has been done to death.  I think there are other kinds of shooters that could be done if developers would be willing to experiment.  Part of the problem with AAA games today is they all play it way too safe and don't push any boundaries.  Luckily, the indie game industry has never been better and there is a lot of good stuff out there right now.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/10/17 at 10:17 pm

I have been on this site for 5 years and I'm gonna try to stick around here for over a decade, if this site still exists.

Written By: temaichi on 09/10/17 at 10:42 pm

I have been on this site for 5 years and I'm gonna try to stick around here for over a decade, if this site still exists.

2022 then. Good luck! ::)

Written By: Slim95 on 09/10/17 at 10:52 pm

2022 then. Good luck! ::)

Thanks haha. I think there are always stuff to talk about on here.

Its actually really cool! But you're probably the person i respect the most on the site.

I agree. Howard is my favourite person on here and he's an inthe00s OG.

Written By: Howard on 09/11/17 at 7:08 am

How do I feel? 12 years older, I guess.

Written By: Howard on 09/11/17 at 7:09 am

I agree. I don't think I could ever stay somewhere for that long lol. And he's been here for like 16 years, basically my whole life ;D

It's what I call dedication. ;)

Written By: Howard on 09/11/17 at 7:10 am

Thanks haha. I think there are always stuff to talk about on here.
I agree. Howard is my favourite person on here and he's an inthe00s OG.

O0 Thanks!

Written By: Shemp97 on 09/11/17 at 11:41 am

I agree with you here.  As a PC gamer, the worst years for the platform was 2007 through about 2011.

I think the shooter genre, especially the online multiplayer team deathmatch sub-genre has been done to death.  I think there are other kinds of shooters that could be done if developers would be willing to experiment.  Part of the problem with AAA games today is they all play it way too safe and don't push any boundaries.  Luckily, the indie game industry has never been better and there is a lot of good stuff out there right now.

It's not even just the over saturation. It's the controversial design choices that instantly date/dull the experience of alot of western AAA games from that period for the sake of "R3AL1SM".
sSGSj-evneo

I enjoyed the Gears of War games. I still own the first game. But I'm not gonna pretend that the gameplay doesn't have alot flaws that keep it from being a memorable classic. Especially compared to Unreal or Doom. And don't even get me started on Ass Creed's controls. Or the linear, short campaigns of the CoD games.

It's really only most western AAA games(and Japanese games that copied their dull, dry formula) from the 7th gen that I don't like. Indies and Japanese games for the most part were awesome.

Written By: Dundee on 02/21/18 at 4:54 am

The 2020s certainly will be more welcomed than the 2010s were in 2009 :D (probably because there was a recession at the time and a lot of people fell down).
Y'all hating on the 2010s but it's not like an absolute horrible post-apocalyptic time to be around ???
All I want for the TwentyTwenties is to a big shift from our current culture (for better and for worse, doesn't matter) only so we can start saying "That's so 2010s"  8)

Written By: piecesof93 on 02/21/18 at 5:08 am

The title "2020s" sound so cool. I'm gonna try to stay on this forum for as long as I can.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/21/18 at 5:14 am

The title "2020s" sound so cool. I'm gonna try to stay on this forum for as long as I can.
2020 will give us all a clearer vision for the future!

Written By: ofkx on 02/21/18 at 5:51 am

Am I the only one that doesn't want this? I just can't trust non-humans enough to drive cars for me.

Written By: piecesof93 on 02/21/18 at 11:01 am

I could definitely use clearer vision.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 02/21/18 at 12:31 pm

Am I the only one that doesn't want this? I just can't trust non-humans enough to drive cars for me.

I don't want self-driving cars to become extremely prevalent either but it's pretty inevitably to happen :-\\.

Written By: Howard on 02/21/18 at 2:47 pm

only 2 years away.

Written By: Rainbowz on 02/21/18 at 4:17 pm

I don't want self-driving cars to become extremely prevalent either but it's pretty inevitably to happen :-\\.

Me personally, I have mixed feelings about it.

Written By: piecesof93 on 02/21/18 at 4:22 pm

Y'all remember this?

sXls4cdEv7c

Written By: Slim95 on 02/21/18 at 4:46 pm

Self driving cars are good. No one will be forced to get one, but given the convenience, how much safer it is (computers will always make less errors than humans on the road overall) and the how helpful it will be, why would anyone rationally not like it?

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/21/18 at 4:50 pm

Self driving cars are good. No one will be forced to get one, but given the convenience, how much safer it is (computers will always make less errors than humans on the road overall) and the how helpful it will be, why would anyone rationally not like it?
The self driving cars will still need a human to plug it in to recharge or to refill with petrol?

Written By: Slim95 on 02/21/18 at 5:04 pm

2020 is coming up, but nobody seems to be overly nostalgic for the whole Y2K era and the turn of the mellenium yet.  :( I mean mainstream-speaking. I was hoping by this time we would see music videos with those space-age aesthetics from the Y2K era and like TLC style music being popular and fashion and advertisers jumping on the bandwagon. Maybe 2020 will just be another regular year and the nostalgia for 2000 will be personal and not mainstream.

Written By: 2001 on 02/21/18 at 5:15 pm

Y'all remember this?

sXls4cdEv7c

LMAO that's my first time seeing that. That's really dangerous considering the program is still in beta. However, it's probably not any more (probably less) dangerous than those people who text and drive. ;)

By the way, that is EXACTLY how I plan to use my self-driving car in the future. ;D

The self driving cars will still need a human to plug it in to recharge or to refill with petrol?

Most likely. However, I imagine once self-driving cars get big, car ownership will sound rather archaic and most will simply hail a self-driving car like a taxi.

Written By: piecesof93 on 02/21/18 at 5:34 pm

2020 is coming up, but nobody seems to be overly nostalgic for the whole Y2K era and the turn of the mellenium yet.  :( I mean mainstream-speaking. I was hoping by this time we would see music videos with those space-age aesthetics from the Y2K era and like TLC style music being popular and fashion and advertisers jumping on the bandwagon. Maybe 2020 will just be another regular year and the nostalgia for 2000 will be personal and not mainstream.

I'm still waiting for this as well. I want another futuristic era. I thought that we were heading that way when Justin dropped the "filthy" video but I guess not.

Written By: Dundee on 02/21/18 at 5:47 pm

Usually by the end of a decade things get more futuristic looking, it was true for the 90s with the Y2K period and the 2000s with the Electropop period, lets see if its true too for the 2010s!

Written By: mxcrashxm on 02/21/18 at 6:05 pm

2020 is coming up, but nobody seems to be overly nostalgic for the whole Y2K era and the turn of the millennium yet.  :( I mean mainstream-speaking. I was hoping by this time we would see music videos with those space-age aesthetics from the Y2K era and like TLC style music being popular and fashion and advertisers jumping on the bandwagon. Maybe 2020 will just be another regular year and the nostalgia for 2000 will be personal and not mainstream.
It will happen soon. My guess why it's not going on right now most likely is that it's still too early. The whole Y2K aesthetics didn't actually start appearing until the middle of 1999. So we mainly won't see the nostalgia of that period until next year.

I'm still waiting for this as well. I want another futuristic era. I thought that we were heading that way when Justin dropped the "filthy" video but I guess not.
That's because the song and JT's new album ended up flopping within a few weeks. However, there could be something on the way to replace that song and bring in another futuristic era.

Written By: Howard on 02/22/18 at 5:35 am

What happens if it crashes? ???

Written By: Zelek3 on 02/22/18 at 11:30 am

Early 2000s nostalgia won't really start until 2030 so no. For some weird reason, people keep fetishizing the 80s/synthwave style over and over and over and over and over in the 2010s even though 80s nostalgia *already happened* in the 2000s and it's supposed to be a 20-year nostalgia cycle, yet they're still doing it (Stranger Things, Ready Player One, Kung Fury, etc.) to a decade that was 30 years ago instead of 20, and didn't even get to the 90s until very recently (Jurassic World, Jumanji, Fuller House, Power Rangers, etc.).

So there won't be any early 2000s nostalgia until 2030 in earnest because Hollywood screwed up the 20-year nostalgia cycle with their "le 80s XD" fetish.

Written By: Dundee on 02/22/18 at 12:12 pm

It's actually both a 20 years and a 30 years nostalgia cycle! There was still a strong sense of 70s nostalgia in the 2000s, 60s in the 90s (Austin Powers movies, the Britpop movement), the 50s in the 80s (Back to the Future, Stand by Me and so on). Usually the 20 years rule applies to stuff that can rapidly shift like music, fashion, literature and the internet. While series and movies on the other hand take longer to be produced, that's why for example the show That 70s Show only aired at the tail end of the 90s and mostly in the 2000s.

The 2020s will still have a strong nostalgic feeling towards the 90s, but the 2000s nostalgia will come by as well :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/22/18 at 12:20 pm

What happens if it crashes? ???
A human being will have to clear up the mess and repair the car?

Written By: 2001 on 02/22/18 at 12:22 pm

A paramedic in a self-driving ambulance will attend to you shortly.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/22/18 at 12:22 pm

O0

Written By: Howard on 02/23/18 at 7:26 am

Yes it should.

Written By: Howard on 02/23/18 at 7:27 am

Will it know the way?

Written By: Rainbowz on 02/23/18 at 6:17 pm

Will it know the way?

It should. :P

Written By: Wobo on 03/01/18 at 2:48 am

I'm definitely going to miss the 2010's too. But 2020 will probably be a great year because that's the year I graduate from HS. It's also scary knowing that in 2020, 2010 will be a decade ago.  :o

Im gonna be in highschool at the turn of the decade I'll be in 10th-11th grade I'll be in 9th grade this year.
Can't wait for the "Early 2020s teen starter pack" thing to happen lol.

Written By: Wobo on 03/01/18 at 2:50 am

I was 8 months old when he posted that lol.

Written By: Wobo on 03/01/18 at 2:53 am

"That's so 2010s"  8)

If someone said that in 2020 i would definitely feel old at the age of 16.

Written By: Wobo on 03/01/18 at 2:55 am

Same i just joined in September of last year hopefully I'll stay until 2027.

Check for new replies or respond here...