inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Suicide: how NOT to do it!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/26/05 at 10:22 pm

I don't advocate taking one's own life, but if you're going to commit suicide, try to kill yourself instead of eleven other people!
:o ::)

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/ap/20050127/ap_on_re_us/train_derail

Subject: Re: Suicide: how NOT to do it!

Written By: nally on 01/26/05 at 10:30 pm

Oh, I know all about this story; in fact, it happened very close to where I live. :-our train would have to terminate in Burbank. That didn't really affect me, since Northridge is way before Burbank. But in Burbank, everyone had to leave the train and take a bus to Glendale and L.A. Union Station. In the afternoon I was informed that the trains to take us back home would be cancelled, so my mom picked up my dad in L.A., then drove to Northridge to pick me up from the university, and we all went straight home together. If I were to come home via train, I would not be able to catch one until 6:15, and I wouldn't be home until about 7:30.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/26/05 at 10:41 pm

Oh, I know all about this story; in fact, it happened very close to where I live. :-our train would have to terminate in Burbank. That didn't really affect me, since Northridge is way before Burbank. But in Burbank, everyone had to leave the train and take a bus to Glendale and L.A. Union Station. In the afternoon I was informed that the trains to take us back home would be cancelled, so my mom picked up my dad in L.A., then drove to Northridge to pick me up from the university, and we all went straight home together. If I were to come home via train, I would not be able to catch one until 6:15, and I wouldn't be home until about 7:30.

I'm surprised the conductor refered to a "deadly accident" over the address system.  I would think the officials would want to cause as little alarm as possible.
It's like the time traffic was backed up for hours on the 495 loop.  My dopy friend rolled down the windown and shouted to a cop, "Hello, officer, what's going on down there?"  Instead of the usual "nothing to see here folks," the cop turned around white as ghost and muttered something about "It's terrible, really terrible," and walked away.
We pulled off at the next exit.  The paper reported dead children strewn in the road, burned bodies, and a decapitation.  I did my best to put the details out of my mind.
:o :o :o

Written By: FullHouseFan! on 01/26/05 at 10:42 pm

What a LOSER!  ::)

Written By: nally on 01/26/05 at 10:43 pm

I'm surprised the conductor refered to a "deadly accident" over the address system.  I would think the officials would want to cause as little alarm as possible.

I don't think those were his exact words, but it didn't sound too pleasing. :(

Written By: saver on 01/27/05 at 2:44 pm

Let's skip any money and time on courts and ship this wonder off to Iraq..they can use him there..if he gets killed, he wanted it, if not, he gets to work off his sentence.
Hmmmm?? >:(

Written By: Indy Gent on 01/27/05 at 3:24 pm

As I have said in the Politics forum, the man that caused such hardship could be given the death penalty. I'm usually for such punishment. But being a moron is not a cause for death. Besides, he would have preferred someone else to end his life because he's such a failure in doing it himself. His punishment should be to spend the rest of his life behind bars and live a long life of suffering. >:(

Written By: FullHouseFan! on 01/27/05 at 3:35 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As I have said in the Politics forum, the man that caused such hardship could be given the death penalty. I'm usually for such punishment. But being a moron is not a cause for death. Besides, he would have preferred someone else to end his life because he's such a failure in doing it himself. His punishment should be to spend the rest of his life behind bars and live a long life of suffering.  

Well, I'm not for NEEDLESS suffering, even for a-holes that deserve it (i'm not saying I'm against punishment, I'm just saying they shouldn't suffer anything that does no good for society save satifying human taste for blood, i DO think all murderers should get mandatory life w/o parole or death sentence IF their life has no value to society or they ask for it), but yes that guy should be in jail.  I normally think people who want dp should get it, no questions asked, but that simply wouldn't be RIGHT for this guy.  If he's insane (all killers are crazy, but I mean irrational insane, which he may well be) than I say put in a mental institution for life where he can't hurt anyone. If not then he can spend his life in a cave >:(

Written By: FullHouseFan! on 01/27/05 at 3:41 pm

Before I'm flamed, I think ALL killers should be kept out of society forever, even repentant ones because it's so easy to fake remorse.

Written By: nally on 01/27/05 at 4:15 pm

dum**** ::)

You said it! That guy was REALLY dumb.

Written By: Tam on 01/27/05 at 4:22 pm

Let's skip any money and time on courts and ship this wonder off to Iraq..they can use him there..if he gets killed, he wanted it, if not, he gets to work off his sentence.
Hmmmm?? >:(

Unfortunately, innocent people have already died and if he were in Iraq - innocent soldiers would likely be killed with him as well. Not a good idea. (You may think I am biased because my husband is over there - and you would be right!)

Tam

Written By: Marian on 01/27/05 at 7:28 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As I have said in the Politics forum, the man that caused such hardship could be given the death penalty. I'm usually for such punishment. But being a moron is not a cause for death. Besides, he would have preferred someone else to end his life because he's such a failure in doing it himself. His punishment should be to spend the rest of his life behind bars and live a long life of suffering.  

Well, I'm not for NEEDLESS suffering, even for a-holes that deserve it (i'm not saying I'm against punishment, I'm just saying they shouldn't suffer anything that does no good for society save satifying human taste for blood, i DO think all murderers should get mandatory life w/o parole or death sentence IF their life has no value to society or they ask for it), but yes that guy should be in jail.  I normally think people who want dp should get it, no questions asked, but that simply wouldn't be RIGHT for this guy.  If he's insane (all killers are crazy, but I mean irrational insane, which he may well be) than I say put in a mental institution for life where he can't hurt anyone. If not then he can spend his life in a cave >:(
Well as soon as he left the car it was no longer a suicide because he didn't try harder to get the car out of the way--he worried about getting hit.I think if you put it there you have to do your best to get it out of the way--anything less is murder.

Written By: saver on 01/28/05 at 3:16 pm

It became a murder case when he CHOSE to leave the car in the way of others that may be harmed.

Why spend so much money to keep him alive and feed him with OUR tax dollars.

Also how about the way Japan works putting the blame on those in his family. Inthis train guy case, the family knew he was nuts or talking like he was going to do something as well as his other crimes....yet no one else was warned..

(we are also paying for Martha Stewarts meals when she is a multi-millionairess!)

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/28/05 at 7:11 pm

I have to wonder whether the man was under treatment for a mental illness...if he was he certainly was not complying with his treatment plan....otherwise eleven lives would not have been snuffed out....

You all probably know about me,and why I wonder about this guy.

Written By: AL-B on 01/30/05 at 4:18 pm

It seems like a lot of these types of suicides are happening lately. A few years ago, a guy I was working with was driving his semi down a two-lane highway north of Omaha, when a car in front of him suddenly pulled over. A woman jumped out, ran out in front of his truck, and he swerved all over the road to avoid her, but she dove under his wheels and was killed. There was another incident outside of Lincoln, where a man (and I use the term loosely) drove his car the wrong way down I-80 and deliberately hit another car head-on. The driver of the other car, a 19-year-old woman, was killed instantly, while the man who was attempting suicide survived and (I believe) is doing life in prison.
    And I hope this jerk in L.A. gets life in prison as well. Not because I am against the death penalty but because I think Indy Gent got it right. They should stick this guy in the same cellblock with the most violent members of the Bloods and the Crips and the Aryan Brotherhood and encourage them to make him their b*tch, but they should also inform these gangs of why he is there and discourage them from killing him and giving him an easy way out. Had he just parked his vehicle next to the tracks and jumped in front of the train it would have been over and done with, with no harm done to anyone else (except for maybe some psychological trauma to the crew operating the train). But because he was stupid about it (and chickened out at the last second!) he doesn't deserve the relief that the needle or the gas chamber would bring him. He deserves a lifetime of rapes and beatings and humiliation.

Written By: fragswife on 01/30/05 at 4:40 pm

And I hope this jerk in L.A. gets life in prison as well. Not because I am against the death penalty but because I think Indy Gent got it right. They should stick this guy in the same cellblock with the most violent members of the Bloods and the Crips and the Aryan Brotherhood and encourage them to make him their b*tch, but they should also inform these gangs of why he is there and discourage them from killing him and giving him an easy way out. Had he just parked his vehicle next to the tracks and jumped in front of the train it would have been over and done with, with no harm done to anyone else (except for maybe some psychological trauma to the crew operating the train). But because he was stupid about it (and chickened out at the last second!) he doesn't deserve the relief that the needle or the gas chamber would bring him. He deserves a lifetime of rapes and beatings and humiliation.

Wow...  I guess I'm a very forgiving person  :(  You obviously feel very strongly about this.

Written By: AL-B on 01/30/05 at 5:17 pm

Wow...   I guess I'm a very forgiving person  :(   You obviously feel very strongly about this.
You know something? After giving this more thought, I realize now that this was more of a tragic and stupid accident as opposed to a deliberate malicious act--as in, his intent wasn't to take all of those people with him. However, because of his actions 11 innocent people are dead, and he needs to be held accountable for it, so my position that he deserves life in prison doesn't change.
    As for the guy in Lincoln who deliberately hit that car head-on? He deserves to be raped.

Written By: fragswife on 01/30/05 at 5:30 pm

As for the guy in Lincoln who deliberately hit that car head-on? He deserves to be raped.

Hahahaha...  Not exactly an eye for an eye...  ;)

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/30/05 at 8:33 pm

It seems like a lot of these types of suicides are happening lately. A few years ago, a guy I was working with was driving his semi down a two-lane highway north of Omaha, when a car in front of him suddenly pulled over. A woman jumped out, ran out in front of his truck, and he swerved all over the road to avoid her, but she dove under his wheels and was killed. There was another incident outside of Lincoln, where a man (and I use the term loosely) drove his car the wrong way down I-80 and deliberately hit another car head-on. The driver of the other car, a 19-year-old woman, was killed instantly, while the man who was attempting suicide survived and (I believe) is doing life in prison.

My suicide attempts have never been as horrible as what some people do to die....they take others with them,innocent people who did not want to die....suicide is not worth it anyways. I have learned to talk things out rather than be a hothead. And when one attempts suicide one is not trusted anymore,professionals always keep tabs on me because my word is (to them) no longer bond no matter how sincere,because they say 'oh you may be hiding something'....all because I tried to take my life...I have no REAL privacy anymore. BTW I am on meds and stable....no psych hospitalizations in SIX years.

Written By: jiminy on 01/30/05 at 8:34 pm

Hahahaha...   Not exactly an eye for an eye...  ;)
doesn't the old one eye in the brown eye count?

Written By: jiminy on 01/30/05 at 8:46 pm

suicide attempt???? it's either a suicide or a suicide failure, in both cases the attempt was made, one was just a bit more successful. and while we are on this subject, if you are going to do it in the first place why not make a statement for instance make it a bloody gory mess in a place you won't be found for say a week (for shock value) Has anyone noticed that you can go into Walmart, and buy a shotgun and shells, then go out to your car, load your gun and then re-enter Walmart and rob the place? Now if any of you do this please send me my rightful royalties :D

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 01/30/05 at 9:40 pm

<As for the guy in Lincoln who deliberately hit that car head-on? He deserves to be raped.>

Isn't that a bit sadistic, AL-B?  I've read some of your past posts, following the posts for about 9 mos, and you seem like a great guy.  But I don't wish rape on anyone.  Although I'm sure the moron deserves it, that doesn't mean he should get it.  For the simple reason that I don't think it would deter crime at all and doing it just out of hate sends people a HORRIBLE message and is destructive. 

But I understand your feeling, I've felt the same way before.

Written By: AL-B on 01/31/05 at 1:02 am

<As for the guy in Lincoln who deliberately hit that car head-on? He deserves to be raped.>

Isn't that a bit sadistic, AL-B?  I've read some of your past posts, following the posts for about 9 mos, and you seem like a great guy.  But I don't wish rape on anyone.  Although I'm sure the moron deserves it, that doesn't mean he should get it.  For the simple reason that I don't think it would deter crime at all and doing it just out of hate sends people a HORRIBLE message and is destructive.   

But I understand your feeling, I've felt the same way before.
Perhaps the reason I feel so strongly about this is because I drive a truck for a living and I've heard of several more instances of these kinds of suicides than I have mentioned, so it strikes a particular chord with me. All I know is that the last thing I want is for someone to come at me head on at 80 mph and put MY life at risk just because they're having problems in their life. In no way do I advocate suicide, but these people could at least have the common decency to do it in a way that doesn't put others' lives in jeopardy.

Written By: AL-B on 01/31/05 at 1:03 am

My suicide attempts have never been as horrible as what some people do to die....they take others with them,innocent people who did not want to die....suicide is not worth it anyways. I have learned to talk things out rather than be a hothead. And when one attempts suicide one is not trusted anymore,professionals always keep tabs on me because my word is (to them) no longer bond no matter how sincere,because they say 'oh you may be hiding something'....all because I tried to take my life...I have no REAL privacy anymore. BTW I am on meds and stable....no psych hospitalizations in SIX years.
Glad to hear you're doing OK.  :)

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 01/31/05 at 2:10 pm

Perhaps the reason I feel so strongly about this is because I drive a truck for a living and I've heard of several more instances of these kinds of suicides than I have mentioned, so it strikes a particular chord with me. All I know is that the last thing I want is for someone to come at me head on at 80 mph and put MY life at risk just because they're having problems in their life. In no way do I advocate suicide, but these people could at least have the common decency to do it in a way that doesn't put others' lives in jeopardy.

Well put, Al  :)

Written By: fragswife on 02/02/05 at 12:57 am

I'm glad to hear things are better with you!  Well done, keep it up!

Check for new replies or respond here...