inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Copying Commercial VHS to DVD

Written By: Leo Jay on 01/27/05 at 1:58 pm

Anyone know anything about this process?  I want to convert my VHS collection, and I know there are machines available to convert VHS to DVD, but I've heard that they only work with homemade VHS tapes, since commercial VHS tapes are all copy-protected -- is that really so?  Is there no way to convert my commercial tapes?  :-\\

Subject: Re: Copying Commercial VHS to DVD

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/27/05 at 2:06 pm

My hubby has been doing that since we got our DVD/Recorder. (In fact he is doing it right now as I write this). Some commercial VHS tapes will record, others won't. I'm not too sure why there is a difference. I would say, just try it and if it doesn't record, oh well, but if it does, you are in business.

Cat

Written By: Leo Jay on 01/27/05 at 2:13 pm

My hubby has been doing that since we got our DVD/Recorder. (In fact he is doing it right now as I write this). Some commercial VHS tapes will record, others won't. I'm not too sure why there is a difference. I would say, just try it and if it doesn't record, oh well, but if it does, you are in business.

Cat

Thanks for the fast reply! 

Just not sure I want to make that kind of investment if it's going to be a 'hit and miss' process.

Actually, I'd just as soon take them somewhere to have it done, but I suspect that process wouldn't be terribly cost-efficient either.

Wish I had a sense of how which ones would be copyable and which ones  wouldn't.  Given that CDs are a far newer technology than VHS, it's strange that you can copy any CD with no problem, yet old-fashioned VHS has copy-protection that CDs don't...

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/27/05 at 7:00 pm

Thanks for the fast reply! 

Just not sure I want to make that kind of investment if it's going to be a 'hit and miss' process.

Actually, I'd just as soon take them somewhere to have it done, but I suspect that process wouldn't be terribly cost-efficient either.

Wish I had a sense of how which ones would be copyable and which ones  wouldn't.  Given that CDs are a far newer technology than VHS, it's strange that you can copy any CD with no problem, yet old-fashioned VHS has copy-protection that CDs don't...

I would say that less than half of them did NOT record but I must remind you that it is illegal to do that.  ;)

Cat

Written By: RockandRollFan on 01/27/05 at 9:48 pm

All I really want to copy are my family tapes and the back to back Denver Broncos Super Bowl wins ;)

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/28/05 at 10:17 am

if you find a commercial VHS tape will not copy, you need a small box that will defeat the Macrovision copy protection.  Basically, it replaces a signal for contrast control that Macrovision stips out/changes, but doesn't affect playback.  A friend of mine purchased one for around $30 a few years ago.  No idea where you can find them now, but I'm sure they're not much more expensive than that still.  It also has the benefit of allowing you to tape DVDs to VHS if you so desire.

Written By: Allie Fox on 01/28/05 at 10:45 am

oh, and like Cat said, it's illegal

From the FBI website:
"The unauthorized reproduction or distribution of this copyrighted work is illegal. Criminal copyright infringement, including infringement without monetary gain, is investigated by the FBI and is punishable by up to five years in federal prison and a fine of $250,000."

;)

Written By: Leo Jay on 01/28/05 at 3:25 pm

It's illegal for me to copy my own property for my own use?

F**k the FBI, if they've got nothing better to do than harrass me.

Thanks for the information.

Check for new replies or respond here...