inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Generation "Y"

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 01/31/05 at 12:56 am

What birthyears span Generation Y?  I've heard spans that say 80s only up to 2003.  I'd take a moderate estimate and say anyone born from 1981 to 1994 inclusive counts as part of the gen, with 1985 to 1988 as the hot years.  I can barely relate to those born in 1994 and to 95 and later not at all, and can't relate at all pop-culture wise to those over 25, unless it's about 80s stuff I've learned secondhand.

I'd say it's this:

1980-81 Early Cusp
1982 - early '86 Early Gen Y
later 1986 -early '89 Mid-Y
late '89 - 1992 Late Y
1993 - 1995 Late Cusp

And the pop culture period started in 1997 and I predict it will end in 2012 or 2013.

Subject: Re: Generation "Y"

Written By: 1992thousand on 01/31/05 at 10:41 am

it depends. Some definitions go about 78-93, some 79-94, some 80-99, some 80-2000, some 81-99, some 81-2000, some 82-2003(some people call that "millenials"). Gen-X has so many various definitions, so it's only natural that different end points for gen-x created lots of start points for Gen-Y. theres some born around 1980 that say gen-y is betwenn Gen-X and millenails, 76-81. mostly those are people that want to separate themselves from people a little younger. But lots born in 76 or 77 will say 78/79 is different generation. So basically, lets wait 10 years or so, and then redraw the late gen-x/early gen-y lines. and then argue about it some more.

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 01/31/05 at 12:01 pm

I am 29 and I was born in 1975.  I generally consider anyone within 3 years of my age to be my immediate age range and my immediate generation.  Because after 3 years, I feel you start dipping into a slightly different generation, either older or younger then you.  So for me that's anyone born from 1972 to 1978 and ages 26 to 32 or 33.

On my older side, at the oldest I can relate to some people born in the late 60s that around 36 or 37 today. 

And on my youngest side, I can relate to sometimes to people born in the early 80s, that may be around 22 or 23, but I don't relate AT ALL to anyone born in the mid 80s and beyond.  There's definately a difference between kids born in the early 80s, and those born in the mid and late 80s.  Early 80s people may not be full blown Gen Xers, but they have enough of an Xer streak in them that I can relate to.

I guess my years are classic Generation X, with a bit of the older Gen Yers.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 01/31/05 at 2:16 pm

I am 29 and I was born in 1975.  I generally consider anyone within 3 years of my age to be my immediate age range and my immediate generation.  Because after 3 years, I feel you start dipping into a slightly different generation, either older or younger then you.  So for me that's anyone born from 1972 to 1978 and ages 26 to 32 or 33.

On my older side, at the oldest I can relate to some people born in the late 60s that around 36 or 37 today. 

And on my youngest side, I can relate to sometimes to people born in the early 80s, that may be around 22 or 23, but I don't relate AT ALL to anyone born in the mid 80s and beyond.  There's definately a difference between kids born in the early 80s, and those born in the mid and late 80s.  Early 80s people may not be full blown Gen Xers, but they have enough of an Xer streak in them that I can relate to.

I guess my years are classic Generation X, with a bit of the older Gen Yers. >>

I was born in Jan of 1990 so would I be more in camp with mid-late 80s kids or mid-late 90s kids? (ie gen y or z?)  I've always felt that my gen is anyone born from 1987 to 1993.  I can't relate to 86ers or 94ers much at all, but my best friend was born in 93 and I have two pen pals who I've met both born in 1987.  I relate most to late 80s and early 90s born kids.  But I can feel a bit of a kinship to people as old as 30 or perhaps even a bit older, that is they don't feel like parent figures.
I call myself mid to late Gen Y.

Written By: Mergal on 02/01/05 at 9:02 am

I always thought Generation "Y" were those born from 1979 to 1990 while generation "X" from 1972 to 1978.

Written By: AngeFaitore on 02/01/05 at 10:10 am

I don't belong to any generation because I'm so out of touch with my own.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/01/05 at 11:22 am

I always thought Generation "Y" were those born from 1979 to 1990 while generation "X" from 1972 to 1978.

Inclusive or exclusive?

Written By: karen on 02/01/05 at 11:31 am

This thread
http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php/topic,4816.0.html

puts Gen X as '61 to '81

Written By: RockandRollFan on 02/01/05 at 12:04 pm

This thread
http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php/topic,4816.0.html

puts Gen X as '61 to '81
I agree!

Written By: Alchoholica on 02/01/05 at 2:18 pm

I would have to disagree and say Y finished around '95. People born after that who are getting in to there impressionable years now and developing real personalities are growing up in a different age. I'd say Y began at the start of the 80's. But of course there is run off on both sides, you get X'ers who are comfortable with Y'ers and vice versa.

Can't see the tadoo about it myself i get on with anybody who is pleasent towards me.

Written By: ChuckyG on 02/01/05 at 3:47 pm

I'd hazzard a guess, and say the defining split in the most recent two generations will be defined around the 9-11 attacks.  If you were old enough to remember the world before the attack, you probably belong in a different generation than the children who don't know a period before that.  I'd say 5 or 6 years old at the time of the attack (old enough to have seen the TV footage at the time it occured), putting the Gen-Y cut off around 1995.

Stuff like this is never easy to guess so close to the periods you're trying to define.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/01/05 at 5:28 pm

I would have to disagree and say Y finished around '95. People born after that who are getting in to there impressionable years now and developing real personalities are growing up in a different age. I'd say Y began at the start of the 80's. But of course there is run off on both sides, you get X'ers who are comfortable with Y'ers and vice versa.

Can't see the tadoo about it myself i get on with anybody who is pleasent towards me. 

I agree 100% chuck.  I was born in '90 so I knew the pre-9-11 world.  But "my time" is post 9-11 like most Y-ers.  And Alcoholica, yes I get along with all ages too, I just meant in a pop culture aspect. 

IMO, 9-11 is my generation's Kennedy assassination.

Written By: Alchoholica on 02/01/05 at 5:36 pm

We will have many more similar moment.. i am afraid that our Generation will see more bloodshed and conflict than any other (with the exception of WW I & II)

It would not suprise me if we had a similar large scale war, prehaps we will see bloodshed on a even larger scale.. i just pray to whichever god you wanna pray to that we don't.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/01/05 at 5:41 pm

We will have many more similar moment.. i am afraid that our Generation will see more bloodshed and conflict than any other (with the exception of WW I & II)

It would not suprise me if we had a similar large scale war, prehaps we will see bloodshed on a even larger scale.. i just pray to whichever god you wanna pray to that we don't.

I think today will be as historic as the 60s.  I also think there's going to partial Armageddon.   :\'(   :(  :(
The tsunami is really FAR more tragic than September 11 when you think about it, though.  :(
At least we'll have stories to tell our kids!

And on a final note, the 90s will seem innocent compared to the early 21st.  Prepare for Global Warming, World War 3, and Nuclear Winter.

(Cold War by Devo playing)

Written By: Alchoholica on 02/01/05 at 5:46 pm

Global warming will IMO start coming in to effect (in a major way, cus of course it already is a bit) by about 2040.

Nuclear winter wouldn't shock me.. well it would lol.. but it wouldn't be a suprise (once i got my bearings)

World War III is something we can all work to avoid. By voting Dem.. no i jest (or do i) but we can each be a little more tolerant of each other.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/01/05 at 6:28 pm

Yeah I stand firm in saying 1994 is the last birthyear of Gen Y. I'm unsure where it starts, but it's probably 1981 because Yao Ming, b. 1980, seems like an Xer.  I say 1981-1994.  1995 to (a guess) 2012 will be Gen Z, the babies and little kids of the 2000s (blech  :P    )

Written By: AngeFaitore on 02/01/05 at 7:43 pm

Actually, Generation "Y" isn't even CALLED Generation "Y". Now they're being called "Echo Boomers". Actually, they've been calling 'em "Echo Boomers" for a while now.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/01/05 at 7:45 pm

Actually, Generation "Y" isn't even CALLED Generation "Y". Now they're being called "Echo Boomers". Actually, they've been calling 'em "Echo Boomers" for a while now.

Well, would you say 1987 is the average birthdate of the "Echo Boomers"?

Written By: 1992thousand on 02/01/05 at 7:47 pm

eh, ive never heard anyone ever say echo boomers, or millenials for that matter. the only places i ever see of those terms is some places on the net.  Gen-Y is still by far the most prevalent nickname for the gen following gen-x

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/01/05 at 10:32 pm

I don't like the moniker "Gen Y" anyway.  It implies that today's gen of youth is a degenerated (no pun intented) clone of Generation X.  That's Boomer arrogance at it's work.

I think "Millenials" is a good term.  We're (I hate admitting it) also the "South Park" generation.  As scary as it sounds South Park sums up the culture of the late 90s and early 2000s pretty well.  I think our generation will go the way of X around 2013, so our period is really halfway done.  The Zers will inherit Pop Culture by then assuming there is one with all this war and disaster.

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 02/02/05 at 12:19 am

I was born in Jan of 1990 so would I be more in camp with mid-late 80s kids or mid-late 90s kids? (ie gen y or z?)  I've always felt that my gen is anyone born from 1987 to 1993.  I can't relate to 86ers or 94ers much at all, but my best friend was born in 93 and I have two pen pals who I've met both born in 1987.  I relate most to late 80s and early 90s born kids.  But I can feel a bit of a kinship to people as old as 30 or perhaps even a bit older, that is they don't feel like parent figures.
I call myself mid to late Gen Y.

In the strictest biological sense, I am old enough to be your father, (man that's creepy) as I was 14 years old in January of 1990, and I turned 15 later that year.  I remember plenty of unfortunate kids that got pregnant or got someone pregnant at age 14 and 15.  In technical terms, I suppose I am old enough to be the father of anyone who was born since I started puberty at age 12 in 1987. 

But this one 29 year old woman I know my age that has a kid your age says people think her daughter is her sister, because she was basically growing up with her too since she was still a kid too when she was born in 1990. 

Written By: Wafer on 02/05/05 at 5:21 pm

I was born in 1983.  Am I Generation X or Y?

Written By: ElDuderino on 02/05/05 at 11:58 pm

I was born in 1983.  Am I Generation X or Y?

Y. But I prefer the term Echoe Boomer myself.

Check for new replies or respond here...