inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Update on things

Written By: Still Pregnant Jessica on 02/01/05 at 11:20 pm

I am overdue by a week and a half and am getting induced on Friday. Luckily I researched labor induction because it appears the doctor was going to use a drug on me (Cytotec) to soften my cervix. One problem: the drug isn't meant for inducing labor. Cytotec is a drug that helps with stomach ulcers. The doctors know this but they persist in using it in labor induction. Some of the things that could happen if used for cervix softening are: death for both the newborn and/or mother, uterine rupturing, radical hysterectomies, and so on. My obstetrician failed to inform me of this and thank God I looked it up before Friday. Needless to say I am very ticked about this. I found many articles on women who were never informed of the complications that could occur and articles on people who had to deal with the consequences of Cytotec after it was administered.

I called up the hospital today and they do have alternatives (which I also researched). I am just appalled at how the doctors are using pregnant women as guinea pigs for Cytotec. The company that produces Cytotec (Searle) even wrote a letter to ACOG stating that it should not be used for labor induction. There's a frickin' FDA warning not to use it for labor induction. It doesn't stop the doctors though. :P

Subject: Re: Update on things

Written By: karen on 02/02/05 at 3:58 am

I can't believe they are still trying to use that if there is evidence against.  Well done on taking the intiative and finding out beforehand.

Hope it goes well on Friday or if you manage to start it yourself.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/02/05 at 10:02 am

Please keep us informed. You are in our thoughts.

Cat

Written By: Ashkicksass on 02/02/05 at 12:39 pm

Pretty scary stuff.  Good for you for keeping yourself informed.

Best of luck to you and the little one!

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/02/05 at 2:07 pm

That's business.  >:(

Written By: AngeFaitore on 02/02/05 at 2:22 pm

Even though I'm childfree, I'll comment...
Better to endure pain rather than kill the kid.

Written By: Howard on 02/02/05 at 6:20 pm

I wish you well Jessica. ;)

Howard

Written By: purpleorchid on 02/02/05 at 9:18 pm

Good on you. researching and finding out for yourself, and informing us too by your posting.

will be having you and your new addition in our thoughts. keep us updated on you and your little one, Jessica.

wish you both all good things.

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 02/03/05 at 12:58 am

Best of luck Jessica - and good on you for doing your research first.

My very overdue friends doctor recommended the following - and it worked.

Warm bath, walking up and down some stairs, good old fashioned sex with hubby.  In that order.

Written By: karen on 02/03/05 at 3:42 am

I think I already mentioned the gardening and spicy food that worked with my second

Written By: jaytee on 02/03/05 at 7:17 am

Gardening also worked for me.  Labour well Jessica.  Just remember to keep upright as long as you can.  While I was in labour I walked and walked.  Try and stay in control if you can.  (Easier said than done in the final stages!)  Good luck - you and Rice are in my thoughts :)

Written By: joedeertae on 02/03/05 at 1:43 pm

Good Luck tomorrow Jessica and Rice. I wish for all to go well. Great job on the research also and thanks for the info, you could save someone else that may read this thread from unneeded suffering!

Check for new replies or respond here...