inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: "Deborah Gibson Feels Dissed By Today's Pop Tarts"

Written By: woops on 02/02/05 at 10:23 pm

BTW, this has nothing about the spread or some cheesy poll against another celebrity...

http://popdirt.com/article35570.html

What's your opnion? Good or Bad

IMO, most of today's teen singers aren't opened minded and are aren't familiar with any artist, except for Madonna and a couple MTV still kiss up too.  ::)

Atleast Gibson wrote songs, played instruments, and sing.  8)

Subject: Re: "Deborah Gibson Feels Dissed By Today's Pop Tarts"

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/02/05 at 10:37 pm

I don't really care.  Respecting older artists may be cool, but it doesn't make you a better person or anything.  Even though Debbie was talented, imo she didn't really help nsync, britney, and the like hit it big. well she did some, but Deb isn't really a main influence.  Pop tarts were shut out in 91/92 with harder-edged music and emerged again in 97/98 for some reason. 

Written By: woops on 02/02/05 at 10:46 pm

Slightly off topic, but I've also heard that acts  like Good Charlotte, Sum 41,  and Avril Lavinge consider themselves punk.  :P

Though they're more pop punk or just plain pop rock.

Heck, Avril had no idea on who David Bowie, The Sex Pistols, Duran Duran, Metallica, etc. are.  ::)

Written By: Indy Gent on 02/03/05 at 10:02 am

I agree with Ms. Gibson. I do take issue when she mentions Tiffany in the same breath with her, because Tiffany played in shopping malls and her biggest hits were cover tunes (except "Could've Been"). Deborah did write most ofher songs, but I didn't find her that talented. But she sounds like Marian Anderson compared with today's girly bands.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/03/05 at 11:49 am

Deborah did write most ofher songs, but I didn't find her that talented. But she sounds like Marian Anderson compared with today's girly bands.

I like that analogy. She had talent (more so than those now); however, she wasn't the greatest singer ever. She was a part of a different generation. So, she shouldn't expect many of these new girls to thank her. They may not recall her or remember her simply because they are too young. She should get a grip, chill out, and move on.

Slightly off topic, but I've also heard that acts  like Good Charlotte, Sum 41,  and Avril Lavinge consider themselves punk.  :P

They're just pop rock, not punk at all. True punk is never described as "Poppish".

Tanya

Written By: Rhiannon on 02/03/05 at 12:41 pm

Heck, Avril had no idea on who David Bowie, The Sex Pistols, Duran Duran, Metallica, etc. are.   ::)

Thank you!  If I have to hear about how "punk" Avirl Lavigne is again I swear I'm gonna go postal!  That girl drives me nuts! >:(

Written By: RockandRollFan on 02/03/05 at 1:03 pm

Say what you will about Deborah Gibson but I respect her talent and have enjoyed her work over all these years. As for al the bands/artists who don't respect her...I say to them...at least she wrote her own stuff and has the added talent of playing an instrument ;)

Written By: Rhiannon on 02/03/05 at 1:09 pm

Say what you will about Deborah Gibson but I respect her talent and have enjoyed her work over all these years. As for al the bands/artists who don't respect her...I say to them...at least she wrote her own stuff and has the added talent of playing an instrument ;)

True that!  I was never a big Debbie Gibson fan myself in the day but I have respect for any artist that writes their own songs and doesn't lip sync.  This is of course true of Avril Lavigne (re: my last post), I just have a problem with her fabricated image (like so many others).

Written By: AngeFaitore on 02/03/05 at 1:30 pm

What flavor dissed Debbie? Chocolate Fudge? Wild Berry? Stawberry? IT WAS STRAWBERRY, WASN'T IT?!?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v400/AngeFaitore/TheAccused.jpg

BTW, Who reminded me the most of 80s Debbie had to be Mandy Moore when she released the album 'So Real' in 1999, although some of Janet Jackson's 'Control' album could be compared to 'So Real' as well. 

Written By: jiminy on 02/03/05 at 1:30 pm

you fooled me, I expected to see something about Kellogg's Pop Tarts and since I mentioned Pop Tarts what is your favorite flavor? I'll go with strawberry

Written By: AngeFaitore on 02/03/05 at 1:36 pm

you fooled me, I expected to see something about Kellogg's Pop Tarts and since I mentioned Pop Tarts what is your favorite flavor? I'll go with strawberry

The Thomas Haden Church of Pop Tarts... Chocolate Fudge. It's not as popular as Wild Berry and it's not as common and well liked as Strawberry. It's not as eccentric as the Spongebob or Yogert flavors, either.

Written By: woops on 02/03/05 at 2:36 pm

I like that analogy. She had talent (more so than those now); however, she wasn't the greatest singer ever. She was a part of a different generation. So, she shouldn't expect many of these new girls to thank her. They may not recall her or remember her simply because they are too young. She should get a grip, chill out, and move on.

They're just pop rock, not punk at all. True punk is never described as "Poppish".

Tanya

I may not know who Marian Anderson is but Deborah Gibson does have a great voice, even as a growing teen she had a decent voice.

Have you heard her recent material. Or even been to a play she's acted in.

And when I meant by "pop punk", I refer to bands like Blink 182 that are pop rock bands that uses punk influences. Similar to hairbands that probably looked up to Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, but weren't truely metal.

Written By: Indy Gent on 02/03/05 at 3:29 pm

Marian Anderson was the first black opera star. Many would agree she was one of the greatest in history.

I may not know who Marian Anderson is but Deborah Gibson does have a great voice, even as a growing teen she had a decent voice.

Written By: Howard on 02/03/05 at 4:03 pm

Why does she feel dissed? ???

Howard

Written By: RockandRollFan on 02/03/05 at 7:32 pm

Okay so Debbie Gbson wasn't the greatest singer...gets no respect. A perfect parrallel in Sports is....In the late 60's a guy named Spencer Haywood left college and petitioned to play in the NBA...while they fought it out in court, he played for the Denver Rockets in the ABA. He eventually won his case thus opening the door for "Hardship" cases to enter into the pros early. A few years ago he met Shaquille O'Neal, who also left college early to play in the NBA, and as Mr. Haywood tried to tell him what he had accomplished, Shaq said "Man, get out of my face, I don't care who you are or what you did"....if it had not been for Spencer Haywood, Shaq wouldn't have been allowed to enter the nba early. I think shaq is a jerk as well as people who aren't, if not grateful, at the very least...KIND to others!

Written By: woops on 02/03/05 at 8:57 pm

Why does she feel dissed? ???

Howard

She doesn't like the fact current teen queens don't give her credit or look at her like a joke. (Like the quote "I don't want to end up like place any  former teen idol's name" for example)

Written By: Allie Fox on 02/04/05 at 3:48 pm

True that!  I was never a big Debbie Gibson fan myself in the day but I have respect for any artist that writes their own songs and doesn't lip sync.  This is of course true of Avril Lavigne (re: my last post), I just have a problem with her fabricated image (like so many others).

Me too.  Same Same.

Image is everything.  DG was always a good clean artist that never catered to the lowest denominator.  She did what she loved and was/is good at it.  Very few of the "canned" acts (NSYNC, Britney Spears, OTown, even Madonna) can say the same thing.

As for Avril. . . I love her music and respect her for not catering to the image that I think the record companies want her to.  In fact, I think her "tough girl punk rocker" act is her way of fighting off the bubble gum image.

Written By: Howard on 02/04/05 at 4:35 pm

Does she ever listen to Brittney Spears? ???

Howard

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/04/05 at 4:41 pm

Me too.  Same Same.

Image is everything.  DG was always a good clean artist that never catered to the lowest denominator.  She did what she loved and was/is good at it.  Very few of the "canned" acts (NSYNC, Britney Spears, OTown, even Madonna) can say the same thing.

As for Avril. . . I love her music and respect her for not catering to the image that I think the record companies want her to.  In fact, I think her "tough girl punk rocker" act is her way of fighting off the bubble gum image.

That's why I respect the Backstreet Boys, they didn't do (much) stuff after their bubblegum New Kids-style pop left the scene.  Unlike that Just-In Timberlame guy. Songs with Nelly?  That's disgusting to BOTH artists!  :P

Written By: George78 on 02/07/05 at 12:41 pm

Debbie Gibson and Tiffany were never given proper credit. Everyone forgets the impact they had in the late 80s, to their fans and the music industry. They both had very successful careers in their short time at the top. Granted the records aren't "classics" now, but at the time, that's what was happening. Everyone was into it then, why should hang their heads now.

Gibson had to 2 Top Ten albums, 9 Top 40 singles and 2 #1 singles. She wrote and produced all of her songs. For a teenager, that's extremely impressive. Although Tiffany didn't write her songs, she did have an amazing voice. If you listen to her songs not released as singles, you'll be surprised. Her first 2 singles hit #1 and later had a total of 5 Top 40 singles and 2 multi-platinum albums.

For the record: Tiffany did perform in shopping malls as a promotional tool BEFORE her first album was even released. It was great marketing plan. Her first real tour was of arenas, not malls.

Written By: woops on 02/07/05 at 3:46 pm

Debbie Gibson and Tiffany were never given proper credit. Everyone forgets the impact they had in the late 80s, to their fans and the music industry. They both had very successful careers in their short time at the top. Granted the records aren't "classics" now, but at the time, that's what was happening. Everyone was into it then, why should hang their heads now.

Gibson had to 2 Top Ten albums, 9 Top 40 singles and 2 #1 singles. She wrote and produced all of her songs. For a teenager, that's extremely impressive. Although Tiffany didn't write her songs, she did have an amazing voice. If you listen to her songs not released as singles, you'll be surprised. Her first 2 singles hit #1 and later had a total of 5 Top 40 singles and 2 multi-platinum albums.

For the record: Tiffany did perform in shopping malls as a promotional tool BEFORE her first album was even released. It was great marketing plan. Her first real tour was of arenas, not malls.

True  :)

Britney Spears just used her sexual image, her manager, & some songwriters twice her age  to sell albums.  :P

Written By: whistledog on 01/22/07 at 5:04 pm

Atleast Gibson wrote songs, played instruments, and sing.   8)

What instrument did she play?  I can't remember if I ever knew that she did that

Written By: woops on 01/22/07 at 5:14 pm

She plays a piano

Thread locked.

Especially it'll attract ignorant flaming

Check for new replies or respond here...