inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Aus talk Desp Housewives & Lost no spoilers pls

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 02/03/05 at 1:22 am

Hi

Thought I would start a thread for Aus discussion on the two newest shows to hit our shores.

American folks - feel free to join in - but please remember we are way behind you in screening of eps and would love no spoilers here (thats why I have avoided the other threads much as I have been dying to read them !!).

So Desperate Housewives started here on Monday Jan 31 - with the highest ratings since the Sydney Olympics Opening Ceremony and the Australian Idols final nights !  And for all those silly folk who missed it and found out by word of mouth how much they missed - it was immediately repeated the next night !!!

I really wasnt going to watch it.  It has been hyped to death on my morning radio and I was really getting sick of them raising it every second for three weeks.

But then I thought it would have been akin to missing the first ever ep of Friends and that would have been real dumb !

So of course I watched it and completely loved it.  Loved its sarcasm, its darkness - combined with the fluffyness of the white picket fences and perfect gardens !

I havent yet memorised characters names yet but my fave scenes were:

Miss Perfects hubby requesting a divorce and saying how scarey her hair is when it never moves.
Single mum accidently setting fire to Edies house.
Model mowing the lawn in a thousand dollar gown to protect her toyboy !!!

Loved the narration too and naturally am already dying to know what the big mystery is.

Now as for Lost - it starts tonight - tough programming - cant believe they have put it up against a huge existing audience of ER.  But who cares - that why some bright spark invented VCRs.

Couple of others staring in the next few weeks that I am keen to suss out. One called medium with Patricia Arquette, one about viruses - forget its name, and in sitcom land I am looking forward to Joey !!

After a summer chock a block of dreadfull "teen angst" shows - its great to see some that star grown ups !!!!!

Subject: Re: Aus talk Desp Housewives & Lost no spoilers pls

Written By: karen on 02/03/05 at 3:40 am

I watched Desperate Housewives last night for the first time.  I think it would have made more sense if I'd seen the first couple of episodes.

It has been bugging me what the real name of one of the actresses is.  At the end of the show they reduced the screen to half width to advertise the next show so I couldn't read the cast list.

Written By: Dagwood on 02/03/05 at 7:21 am

Lost is a great show.  I am totally hooked on it, I hope you guys enjoy it, too.

Written By: jaytee on 02/03/05 at 7:50 am

I watched iDesperate Housewives on Monday night BMG and was hooked!

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/03/05 at 8:17 am

Hope everyone there enjoys watching Lost, it's one of my favorite new shows! The only downside to watching it, is if you miss an episode, you'll feel out of the the loop.

Lord of The Ring fans will be happy to hear that the actor who plays Merry, has a on going role on the show as a rockstar and one of the passengers who ends up stranded on the island with everyone else.

Written By: Dagwood on 02/03/05 at 6:58 pm

Hope everyone there enjoys watching Lost, it's one of my favorite new shows! The only downside to watching it, is if you miss an episode, you'll feel out of the the loop.

Lord of The Ring fans will be happy to hear that the actor who plays Merry, has a on going role on the show as a rockstar and one of the passengers who ends up stranded on the island with everyone else.

And, IMO, Charlie is one of the best characters on the show.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/03/05 at 7:23 pm

Hello BMG!  :)  I don't see why people group the two together, but I can comment on "Lost". 

"Lost" is about the best show ever made!  It's about this group of 45 people stranded on an island (although only a dozen or so are crucial to the story) and as they learn more about each other, they also learn that the island has some supernatural traits.  That's all I'll say :)

-FHF

Written By: RockandRollFan on 02/03/05 at 7:24 pm

Lost is a great show.  I am totally hooked on it, I hope you guys enjoy it, too.
I am also hooked on it, Dagny :)

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 02/05/05 at 11:21 pm

Hello BMG!  :)  I don't see why people group the two together, but I can comment on "Lost". 

"Lost" is about the best show ever made!  It's about this group of 45 people stranded on an island (although only a dozen or so are crucial to the story) and as they learn more about each other, they also learn that the island has some supernatural traits.  That's all I'll say :)

-FHF

They have only been grouped together because here they started on the same week.  And like I said - it woud be nice if you didnt reveal anything in this thread so we can have the pleasure of enjoying each and every ep and mystery each week !!

I enjoyed the first ep of Lost - quite gripping - tho the acting is mostly substandard and quite stilted - but heck its only been one ep so far.  Apparently the pilot was a 2 hour ep in the US - we only got an hour - so we still have an hour of the pilot to go.

Comments - ok - who lights a bonfire 3 feet away from a fuel loaded engine part ??  Silly people !!

Channel 7 is going nuts with both shows - and why shouldnt it - after failing ratings for so long it has managed to buy two high raters.  It repeated DH on Tuesday and again late at night on Friday (just in case there was a person left in the country who hadnt seen it !) and with Lost it repeated it again Friday and Saturday night.

Just to suck us all in !!!!  hehehe.

Karen - when did DH start in UK ? only a few weeks ago ?  Are you getting Lost as well ?

Oh - you wanted to know the actresses - here you go - my Sunday paper gave a rundown of each.

The Maneater - Edie - Nicolette Sheridan (hmmm she use to be in Dallas or similar way back then)

The Harrassed Mother - Lynette - Felicity Huffman (married to William H Macy)

The Trophy Wife - Gabrielle - Eva Longoria (I dont know anything about her)

The Stepford Wife - Bree - Marcia Cross (ex psycho in Melrose Place)

The Single Desperate Mom - Susan - Teri Hatcher (ex Lois Lane and Bond Girl).

Hope that helps you out - and yes I too despise the way the shrink the screen during credits in order to hit us with 50 more ads. 

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/05/05 at 11:33 pm

They have only been grouped together because here they started on the same week.  And like I said - it woud be nice if you didnt reveal anything in this thread so we can have the pleasure of enjoying each and every ep and mystery each week !!

I apologize, BrianMannixGirl.  :)

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 02/06/05 at 12:35 am

I apologize, BrianMannixGirl.  :)

No probs - I know it can happen by accident.

I see you havent quite got the hang of quotes yet - It took me a while when I first joined.  When you are in the thread - just highlight the bit you want - and click on "reply with quote".  It will generally put the whole post in quotes - so I delete whichever bits I didnt want.

And - even cooler since Chucky moved to this style of board - while you are typing your post - you can scroll down to the posts below - highlight someones sentence - and click on "Insert quote" - and it does it.  Its my new favourite feature.

Written By: jaytee on 02/06/05 at 7:44 am

I havent yet memorised characters names yet but my fave scenes were:

Miss Perfects hubby requesting a divorce and saying how scarey her hair is when it never moves.
Single mum accidently setting fire to Edies house.
Model mowing the lawn in a thousand dollar gown to protect her toyboy !!!

I loved those scenes too ... but my two favourites were the woman walking into the swimming pool to get her three wayward sons and the same woman punching her husband in the face when he suggested "let's risk it" when she told him she had to go off the pill and he didn't want to use a condom. ;D  I could really relate to that woman. ;D 

Written By: karen on 02/10/05 at 9:59 am

Karen - when did DH start in UK ? only a few weeks ago ?  Are you getting Lost as well ?

I can't quite remember when it started here BMG.  They were advertising it for a few weeks before it actually started so it didn't really register.  My TV time is quite limited so I tend to stick to stuff I know I'll like.

That also means I have no idea if Lost is on here or not  :-

The Single Desperate Mom - Susan - Teri Hatcher (ex Lois Lane and Bond Girl).

Hope that helps you out - and yes I too despise the way the shrink the screen during credits in order to hit us with 50 more ads.

Yay that's who it is.  Knew I recognised her from some show or other.  Used to watch the Superman series when it was on.

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 02/12/05 at 1:38 am

Glad I could help Karen - I know what its like when someones face is so familiar and its bugs you badly !!!

Jaytee - yes the "lets risk it" punch was priceless !!!!  A standard sentence that could only come out of the mouth of a man who spends no time at home and has no concept of what his wife does all day !!

So a couple of weeks in and DH as me totally hooked but Lost - hmmmmm I will need to give it a few more weeks. The crash scenes fascinate me but the story line and wooden acting is bugging me.

Out of the other new shows that started last week - I watched Medical Investigation - I can see it being a bit sam-o sam-o each week - and the lead actor really puts me off. 

Medium - I enjoyed - and as a true story it has many more storylines to draw from - and I love how Ten is following it with the real life Sensing Murders. Makes for a great night of physcic crime. 

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/12/05 at 1:45 am

Glad I could help Karen - I know what its like when someones face is so familiar and its bugs you badly !!!

Jaytee - yes the "lets risk it" punch was priceless !!!! A standard sentence that could only come out of the mouth of a man who spends no time at home and has no concept of what his wife does all day !!

So a couple of weeks in and DH as me totally hooked but Lost - hmmmmm I will need to give it a few more weeks. The crash scenes fascinate me but the story line and wooden acting is bugging me.

Out of the other new shows that started last week - I watched Medical Investigation - I can see it being a bit sam-o sam-o each week - and the lead actor really puts me off.

Medium - I enjoyed - and as a true story it has many more storylines to draw from - and I love how Ten is following it with the real life Sensing Murders. Makes for a great night of physcic crime.

I'd suggest continuing to watch "Lost".  The characters are truly incredible, and the story moves slowly but steadily. I won't tell what happens though  ;)

Check for new replies or respond here...