inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: New Animated Series: "American Dad"...your thoughts

Written By: woops on 02/06/05 at 11:17 pm

The show, and the return of "Family Guy" will start on May 1st.

IMO, it was "so & so", but I thought the space alien was annoying and the title character sounds too much like Peter Griffith (though I though he's voiced by creator Seth McFarlane)  :P

Subject: Re: New Animated Series: "American Dad"...your thoughts

Written By: jiminy on 02/07/05 at 2:21 am

the over sexed fish is a Quagmire copy, the son reminds me of Ned the nerd with Meg's popularity, the dad is a walking copy of Joe the cop, the alien kind of has the Brien role, the mom and daughter didn't really do much the first episode, I would say the show was so - so for the first episode

Written By: Hairspray on 02/07/05 at 8:15 am

Other: Meh.

Written By: AngeFaitore on 02/07/05 at 9:03 am

STAN IS HOT!
I'll ask the same thing I asked the people over at Toon Zone, just in case they don't deliver...
Will somebody make me a screengrab of Stan in the underwear-and-gun pose? 

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/07/05 at 11:15 am

It was awful and unimaginative. I turned after giving it 10 minutes. Just lost interest. Stick to only Family Guy Seth. You're not that talented to handle more than one show. You're not Groneing (sp? - ya know, the Simpsons creator), okay.

Tanya

Written By: RockandRollFan on 02/07/05 at 11:49 am

Geez woops....not another POLL  :D ;)

I voted so-so

Disclaimer: I was in no way bribed, threatened or forced to participate in this poll. I replied using my own free will and have no regrets  8)

Written By: ChuckyG on 02/07/05 at 12:56 pm

carbon copy of Family Guy, which is really just a different spin on the Simpsons to begin with.  I tuned it out after ten minutes.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/07/05 at 2:17 pm

It was ok.

Written By: pimpinsteelersfan on 02/07/05 at 2:47 pm

I didn't get to see it but it looked too much like Family Guy.  In my opinion they should have come up with a new plot instead of copying of an existing show it just makes for bordom and less viewers of the show.

Written By: AngeFaitore on 02/07/05 at 3:11 pm

Geez woops....not another POLL  :D ;)

I voted so-so

Disclaimer: I was in no way bribed, threatened or forced to participate in this poll. I replied using my own free will and have no regrets  8)

Quiet, you.  ::)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/07/05 at 3:15 pm

Yeah, I missed it because I was working.  I did see some bits of it on the newsroom television monitor, along with Simpsons and the SB.
I love "Family Guy," so I'm definitely psyched to see more Seth McFarlane on the tube.
:)

Written By: woops on 02/07/05 at 3:43 pm

Yeah, I missed it because I was working.  I did see some bits of it on the newsroom television monitor, along with Simpsons and the SB.
I love "Family Guy," so I'm definitely psyched to see more Seth McFarlane on the tube.
:)

The pilot  repeat on 'Adult Swim' on Sunday (11:30 PM)  for those who missed it.  :)

Written By: ElDuderino on 02/07/05 at 10:00 pm

It was awful and unimaginative. I turned after giving it 10 minutes. Just lost interest. Stick to only Family Guy Seth. You're not that talented to handle more than one show. You're not Groneing (sp? - ya know, the Simpsons creator), okay.

Tanya

I agree fully. He seemed to be ripping himself off(every character on the new show has a direct parallel on Family Guy), and doing it badly. The jokes seemed forced. Lame.

Written By: McDonald on 02/08/05 at 4:49 pm

I liked it. I saw a few similarities, but even then just look at the competition. 90% of shows on TV are a waste of valuable life. This one in comparison is worth watching. I enjoyed all the right-wing jokes. The show probably won't make it...  but at least Family Guy is coming back and I can't wait. 

Written By: woops on 02/08/05 at 5:13 pm

There's a question I should've posted:

Why would Seth McFarlane create "American Dad" if "The Family Guy" is returning?  :-\\

Written By: ChuckyG on 02/10/05 at 9:52 am

There's a question I should've posted:

Why would Seth McFarlane create "American Dad" if "The Family Guy" is returning?  :-\\

the return of Family Guy might not be permanent.  If the new show appeals to a wider audience, it might help shore up the other one, or maybe out survive it.

Written By: Chrisrj on 02/10/05 at 5:58 pm

Why did Matt Groening create Futurama?  Maybe he just wanted to.  Why can't Seth do the same thing?

Anyway, I thought it was OK, a few good chuckles, but not that spectacular.  Family Guy can wipe the floor with it.

Then again, it might change in the future and become truly incredible.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/10/05 at 7:24 pm

Why did Matt Groening create Futurama?  Maybe he just wanted to.  Why can't Seth do the same thing?

Anyway, I thought it was OK, a few good chuckles, but not that spectacular.  Family Guy can wipe the floor with it.

Then again, it might change in the future and become truly incredible.

Futurama was completely different from The Simpsons. If any creator is going to make other shows, he/she needs to differentiate them from each other. Darren Starr (last name?) made Sex and the City, Melrose Place, and Beverly Hills 90210 (three different shows). He can make all the shows he desires. I just don't want to see the same show over and over again with a different title to each other.

Tanya

Check for new replies or respond here...