inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Does anybody think today's rock (2004 on) is 80sish?

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/12/05 at 1:25 am

Stuff like Modest Mouse, Franz Ferdinand, The White Stripes, The Killers (especially)?  Some of that stuff, not all of it but some of it, sounds VERY New Wave.  Even Emo fills the Hair Metal niche  :P

Subject: Re: Does anybody think today's rock (2004 on) is 80sish?

Written By: woops on 02/12/05 at 2:03 am

I agree. Also Interpol & The Sounds

What is emo anyways? 

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/12/05 at 2:11 am

I agree. Also Interpol & The Sounds

What is emo anyways?

Emo is pop punk.  Sorta obnoxious, poppy rock like Hair Metal.  not too similar but EVEN WORSE imo.  That "you got a girlfriend that looked like a boyfriend" by the Killers sounds like it could be a Psychedelic Furs song from 1983 or something and "Take Me Out" by Franz Ferdinand sounds like an early Talking Heads song.

Written By: woops on 02/12/05 at 2:26 am

I like a few pop punk acts. Only Blink 182 and a few hits from Alien Ant Farm & Bowling For Soup.

The rest are just worthless junk...  :P

Though I like more hair bands than wannabe punks...

Heck, even Poison is  more hardcore compared to Good Charlotte.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/12/05 at 2:29 am

I like a few pop punk acts. Only Blink 182 and a few hits from Alien Ant Farm & Bowling For Soup.

The rest are just worthless junk... :P

Though I like more hair bands than wannabe punks...

Heck, even Poison is more hardcore compared to Good Charlotte.

I think the Ataris covered "Boys of Summer" very very well  8)  1985 by BFS is annoying though.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 02/12/05 at 3:14 am

"What is emo anyways?"

Wikipedia is your friend  :D
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emo

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 02/12/05 at 3:16 am

I've been getting into more undeground/indie rock music as of late, so can't really comment. But 2002-2003 was certainly an 80s revival period

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/12/05 at 5:58 pm

There are certainly a lot of 20-something bands whose appreciation for the Cure, the Smiths, and New Order comes through in their music.  It's also neat to see kids getting into those early '80s synth sounds.

I'm dreading the emergence of a "grunge" retro sound in a few years.  I despise grunge.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/12/05 at 6:03 pm

There are certainly a lot of 20-something bands whose appreciation for the Cure, the Smiths, and New Order comes through in their music. It's also neat to see kids getting into those early '80s synth sounds.

I'm dreading the emergence of a "grunge" retro sound in a few years. I despise grunge.

With the exception of Nirvana, Soundgarden, and the Foo Fighter's I'm not a big grunge fan either.  But hair bands of the late 80s are much worse.  :P

Check for new replies or respond here...