inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Do you like this decade?

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/12/05 at 2:19 am

I vote "No".  I can't stand the pop culture, or, especially the POLITICS of this decade!  :P ::) ??? >:( :D

Subject: Re: Do you like this decade?

Written By: woops on 02/12/05 at 2:22 am

No

Though the only good thing about this decade is a few good bands & a couple animated shows, including the debut of "Adult Swim".

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/12/05 at 2:30 am

In some ways, because I like to stay positive and look forward, but I preferred the '90s.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 02/12/05 at 3:11 am

I love it! Best decade for me personally.

As for politics and pop culture... well lets not go there...  :P >:(

Written By: danootaandme on 02/12/05 at 8:32 am

Having lived through quite a few decades I would like to say that if you don't like the decade
your in then climb out from under the rock!  Don't like the music!  Have you ever changed the
starion?  There are many forms of music, you don't have to depend on top stations, and with
the internet if you can't find anything you like, well you just aren't looking.  Politics? get involved.
It isn't interesting when everyone agrees.  Fashion?  Lots of variety there, and many outlets for
self expression.  Life is a banquet, eat eat (you're getting so thin! )  :)

Written By: Bobby on 02/12/05 at 9:25 am

I voted 'yes' because my personal life is so much better now than it was in the 90s.  :)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/12/05 at 9:46 am

no, but I can live with it. The only good thing is that I got married in it.

Tanya

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/12/05 at 10:09 am

Sort of.

Written By: Steve2891 on 02/12/05 at 1:35 pm

About everything you can imagine is bad about this decade. Reality TV, mediocre to awful music, politics, unoriginal movies, core fashion not changing since 1997, etc.

Written By: sputnikcorp on 02/12/05 at 2:56 pm

sure, i'm alive and i'm enjoying fatherhood.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/12/05 at 3:12 pm

About everything you can imagine is bad about this decade. Reality TV, mediocre to awful music, politics, unoriginal movies, core fashion not changing since 1997, etc.

What do you mean by "core fashion"?  If you mean hair, well, yeah its about the same but long and poofy hair is making a bit of a comeback in my corner of the world.  If you mean t-shirt, jeans, and tennies, well we've been on that boat for 20+ years. 

But certain 96-99 styles, like backwards cap & shades are pretty outdated. Also, the whole tattoo thing doesn't seem as cool today (THANK GOD!!). 

But yes, 2005 fashion isn't radically different from 1997 fashion.  But come on, you have to admit 70% of eighties fashion sucked a**.  But today definitely has its share of bad fashion too, like baggy pants and body piercing (which seems less prominent today than in the late 1990s).

Written By: JohnTaylorsHeart on 02/12/05 at 3:43 pm

No, I wish it was still the 80's. :\'(

Written By: danootaandme on 02/12/05 at 3:54 pm

Well read a book, go indie on the music and movies,  get involved,  There is so much variety out
there and you don't have to look to far.  I don't understand this whole attitude. There is a lot of
great stuff out there, the 00s' aren't in a rut, you are  ???

Written By: Alchoholica on 02/12/05 at 4:02 pm

Yup.. i am bettering myself every year and am moving out of my parents house. I have grown as a person and have developed myself. Change the station exactly.. actually i find.. turn off the radio and buy a CD or download some music works better but meh..

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/12/05 at 5:17 pm

I think the 2000's kick butt.

Let the good times roll !  8)

LB

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/12/05 at 5:47 pm

Politically, no, because the fascists are taking over.

Otherwise...well, it's better than the '90s.

Written By: Rio_Rhodes on 02/12/05 at 7:10 pm

No.

I wish that it was either the late 70s or the early 80s right now...but thats just me.

Rio

Written By: ElDuderino on 02/12/05 at 10:38 pm

I WAS going to vote no, but then I realized that as a comic geek I love the slew of comic movies. So there is a redeeming factor, and I am young, so what the hey..

Written By: AL-B on 02/13/05 at 6:24 pm

In a pop culture sense, not really...but personally this has by far been the best decade for me so far.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/13/05 at 6:26 pm

In a pop culture sense, not really...but personally this has by far been the best decade for me so far.

Did you like the nineties Al?  You said you were glad Nirvana killed 80s music.

Written By: sputnikcorp on 02/13/05 at 6:47 pm

nirvana killed hair metal, which became so bloated and full of itself that it needed to be put to rest.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/13/05 at 6:51 pm

Does anyone here think Grunge really complimented/was neutral to New Wave?  After all they were both alternative sounds and New Wave wasn't really any bigger in 1989 than it was in 1992 (it was weak but still present in both).

Written By: Trimac20 on 02/13/05 at 8:51 pm

On the whole yes because of the technological advancement. Even a few years ago I wouldn't have dreamed of carrying my entire music collection with me, and ten years ago if you described what Napster was to you I would have thought it too good to be true. And with wireless-tech, artificial intelligence and all its probably going to be a better time to live (for the priveledged few) than ever.

There are downsides to it, of course. The crappy pop music, death of culture, growing environmental problems, and not being able to wear short denim shorts and a purple shirt in public, or growing your hair to your waist...

Check for new replies or respond here...