inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When Will Reality TV die a horrible death?

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/12/05 at 2:26 am

I'm tired of this crap polluting our cable.  >:(  I don't think I want family sitcoms back, I want TV to be gone except for sports, news, a few good TV shows, and a couple odds and ends.  TV is so 20th centuruy.

Subject: Re: When Will Reality TV die a horrible death?

Written By: Biff on 02/12/05 at 2:55 am

It may never die.  It is so cheap and easy to produce, which makes it very lucrative for the networks.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 02/12/05 at 3:09 am

I think TV itself is dying, along with radio. Free-to-air commercial TV and radio exists for thier own profit. Not to entertain, as it was once intended for. Trouble is, people are easily sucked in to these types of shows, that is one of the main reasons why they are still around. And also they are very cheap to run. ($1000000 for a Survivor season, or $1000000 for an episode of Friends... which would you choose if you were a TV exec?)

Written By: JohnTaylorsHeart on 02/12/05 at 6:06 am

When Will Reality TV die a horrible death?

Soon I hope.

Written By: Dagwood on 02/12/05 at 7:44 am

There are lots of people out there who actually like reality tv (myself included).  I am of the opinion that if you don't like it, don't watch it.

Kinda like football...I don't like it so I don't watch it.  That doesn't mean I want it off tv.  If you don't like the show, turn the channel or turn off the dang tv.

Written By: Bobby on 02/12/05 at 9:28 am

Probably sooner than you think. The saturation on TV will show in viewer ratings and therefore the companies will find these pieces of telly-tat unprofitable.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/12/05 at 10:11 am

Soon, hopefully.

Written By: SuspiciousMinds on 02/12/05 at 10:40 am

There are lots of people out there who actually like reality tv (myself included).  I am of the opinion that if you don't like it, don't watch it.

Kinda like football...I don't like it so I don't watch it.  That doesn't mean I want it off tv.  If you don't like the show, turn the channel or turn off the dang tv.

It's not that easy..Turn the channel to what?Go from one channel to another that also has a reality tv program on?It's getting to the point that all the main stations are saturated with it..there is no where to turn the channel to!

Written By: Marian on 02/12/05 at 2:16 pm

I'm tired of this crap polluting our cable.   >:(  I don't think I want family sitcoms back, I want TV to be gone except for sports, news, a few good TV shows, and a couple odds and ends.  TV is so 20th centuruy.
???Why are you complain ing?no one said you have to watch it 24/7!!!!Gee,just watch the shows you like and then turn the tv off!LOL ;D ;D ;D ;D

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/12/05 at 3:23 pm

???Why are you complain ing?no one said you have to watch it 24/7!!!!Gee,just watch the shows you like and then turn the tv off!LOL ;D ;D ;D ;D

It's the damage it does to society.  Plus it's just dumb  ;D

But there should be a channel for people who like it.

Written By: Dagwood on 02/12/05 at 7:30 pm

There are a few that I enjoy as well. I could do without the million incarnations of the same show, though ::)

True.  Like the dating shows...one was a hit so every channel had to have its own version.  I don't like those at all.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 02/12/05 at 8:34 pm

I'm tired of this crap polluting our cable. >:( I don't think I want family sitcoms back, I want TV to be gone except for sports, news, a few good TV shows, and a couple odds and ends. TV is so 20th centuruy.
Medical shows like those on Discovery Health Channel...stuff like "Trauma:Life in the E.R.""The Critical Hour" and "Impact:Stories of Survival",even though they show people in life threatening circumstances,I think are good for keeping the need for trauma centers,trained doctors/paramedics/EMTs/first responders in the eyes of the public who funds those places. Also the stories of patients who have survived those circumstances by grit and the will to survive are inspiring to me....as well as their families who stick with them no matter what. Sometimes things like that actually tear families apart.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/12/05 at 11:14 pm

Had a thought on this here subject.  The promlem is Reality necessitated Reality TV to begin with.  You see, Reality itself died a horrifying death back in the first week of November 2000.  Thus, if Reality TV now dies a horrible death, what then, existentially speaking, will succeed Reality TV? You see, we can't return to Reality because Reality is dead.  Where to go?
:o :o :o

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 02/13/05 at 2:52 am

I really think CBS is to blame for 'reality TV' because they have what I think is the most popular show of the genre....SURVIVOR.....but i think the seeds were planted by FOX with the show "COPS".....

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 02/13/05 at 3:05 am

It's the damage it does to society. Plus it's just dumb ;D

But there should be a channel for people who like it.
That's the reason that I actually worry what some of my friends watch....especially my roommate who has schizophrenia....he watches stuff his therapists say fuels his illness and his delusions. I think he uses TV as an 'escape hatch' from 1)his illness and 2)its symptoms....not really a good way to escape in my opinion. I think reading is better for that because it takes MY mind off my problems by exercising my brain...I am also mentally ill. And rarely do I watch ANY television,I find computers and the 'Net to be entertaining in a much more INTELLIGENT way than the boob tube.

Written By: AL-B on 02/13/05 at 8:02 pm

I'm waiting for someone on "Fear Factor" to get a life-threatening illness from one of the gross things they make them eat. I don't want to see anyone get sick or injured or anything, but I do think it'd be funny if one of those stunts went awry and the producers of the show wound up getting their pants sued off.

Written By: Trimac20 on 02/13/05 at 9:01 pm

Not for a very long time...I can imagine what we'll be watching on our virtua-tron 500 'TVs': Survivor 50: Mars, 'ten contestants will have to spend a whole three months on the moon...in a luxury lunar hotel we're theyll be provided with five star service.'

What I'd really like to see. 'Survivor: The Sahara Desert.' Ten contestants are left in the middle of the sahara with no food, water, clothes or any supplies. To find water, they'll have to dig away the burn-inducing sand to find water twenty feet below with their bare hands. And if they get hungry; well, six chubby middle-agers should provide sustenance for the 2,000km trek to the nearest village - where you'll probably end up the hostage of some terrorist organisation.

Now that would be an ep of Survivor which actually lives up to its name.

Written By: pimpinsteelersfan on 02/14/05 at 3:31 pm

I hate reality tv.  I think it is too over rated.  It needs to die now.

Written By: AL-B on 02/22/05 at 1:17 am

OK, I just saw the worst reality show yet. Has anyone else seen a show called "Cheaters?" I only caught a few minutes of it, but basically someone who suspects their lovers of cheating on them can call this show and a camera crew will work with a private investigator to try and catch the suspected cheater in the act. They actually busted the door down on some redneck's house in the middle of the night and the crew (along with his girlfriend) went barging into his bedroom where he was in the middle of porking her best friend. I'm sorry, but that's a really good way to get shot. After some screaming at his now-ex, and some scuffling with the host, he finally got hold of a paintball gun and started opening up on the whole crew. I cheered. They all ran like the scumbags they were. But later, he inexplicably was also in their studio, explaining his side of the story. If that would have been me I would've pressed charges for breaking and entering, and trespassing, and I would have sued the pants off those people. Because of this I began to suspect that the show had been staged.

Written By: Webstor on 02/22/05 at 3:13 pm

As much as I cannot stand reality TV....
There are people who like it.

For those who do,  There should be like one or 2 channels on TV that thats all they show is reality TV.  Put ALL the shows on 1 or 2 networks.....call them the reality TV network or something.

Then I can just set my cable box to black out those channels and never have to worry about
becoming dumber for watching them.

Written By: Claude_Prez on 02/28/05 at 8:56 pm

I'm tired of this crap polluting our cable.   >:(  I don't think I want family sitcoms back, I want TV to be gone except for sports, news, a few good TV shows, and a couple odds and ends.  TV is so 20th centuruy.

Holey moley.  Yeah, I'd love it if the world revolved around my tastes, too.  Adulthood is soooo 19th century.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/28/05 at 9:09 pm

reality tv is better than tv reality
tv reality is better than reality tv

Written By: NbC on 03/01/05 at 2:09 am

Reality Shows have been around for years and years so I don't think it will die off anytime soon.  There are some good, some bad, and many very bad.  I have to admit that I do enjoy a few of them.  Some are so ridiculous that you just can't help but watch. 

The ones I always watch are:

Survivor
Amazing Race
American Idol

Written By: AL-B on 03/01/05 at 10:00 am

Reality Shows have been around for years and years so I don't think it will die off anytime soon.  There are some good, some bad, and many very bad.  I have to admit that I do enjoy a few of them.  Some are so ridiculous that you just can't help but watch. 

The ones I always watch are:

Survivor
Amazing Race
American Idol
I think Amazing Race is really cool and is one of the few "reality shows" that seems to actually have some dignity and intelligence to it. 

Written By: Leo Jay on 03/01/05 at 10:14 am

Ok, let me understand this: 'Reality TV' is a problem, but in your ideal world, TV News is one of the few tv genres worth keeping? 

What kind of 'news' programming are you talking about?  Morning news shows?  '48-Hours'-type newsmagazines?  Network evening news programming? 

I'd take an hour of 'a reality show' over 10 hours of any of that other crap.  At least reality shows don't pretend to be anything but cheap, vulgar entertainment.

Written By: 90s boy on 03/01/05 at 11:57 am

lol i miss scryped TV So much it getting so bad that i don't wach TV That much anymore

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/01/05 at 1:33 pm

lol i miss scryped TV So much it getting so bad that i don't wach TV That much anymore

Scripted TV is making a comeback, some shows worth watching are "Lost", "House M.D.", and "Medium".

They are less painful to watch than Fear Factor and other "reality tv shows".  ::)

Written By: NullandVoid on 03/01/05 at 4:10 pm

Yeah there's way too many of them noawdays. Do what I do just change the channel.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 03/02/05 at 1:18 pm

Ok, let me understand this: 'Reality TV' is a problem, but in your ideal world, TV News is one of the few tv genres worth keeping? 

What kind of 'news' programming are you talking about?  Morning news shows?  '48-Hours'-type newsmagazines?  Network evening news programming? 

I'd take an hour of 'a reality show' over 10 hours of any of that other crap.  At least reality shows don't pretend to be anything but cheap, vulgar entertainment.

TV News is.  But we focus too much on the negative and not on the positive, which is a problem.  News is becoming Reality TV, it needs to be more positive.  I've heard enough about Iraq, GAY MARRIAGE, and SCOTT PETERSON.  Tell us good news, gosh dimmit!

>:(

Written By: Leo Jay on 03/02/05 at 2:13 pm

TV News is.  But we focus too much on the negative and not on the positive, which is a problem.  News is becoming Reality TV, it needs to be more positive.  I've heard enough about Iraq, GAY MARRIAGE, and SCOTT PETERSON.  Tell us good news, gosh dimmit!

>:(

Iraq and Gay Marriage are news issues that are relevant to the public at large, though the reporting on them is usually pretty thin, partly because a lot of time is spent on irrelevant issues, and partly because a lot of journalists just aren't good at in-depth reporting.

Scott Peterson or pretty much any other isolated criminal case is NOT relevant news.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 03/02/05 at 3:35 pm

Iraq and Gay Marriage are news issues that are relevant to the public at large, though the reporting on them is usually pretty thin, partly because a lot of time is spent on irrelevant issues, and partly because a lot of journalists just aren't good at in-depth reporting.

Scott Peterson or pretty much any other isolated criminal case is NOT relevant news.

Iraq yes, but I'm so tired of Gay Marriage issues.  Why can't the gay rights extremists accept EQUAL rights and the Far Right SHUT UP about how perverted they are. Gay does not = Perv!  It's such a small issue compared to Global Warming, Iraq, Bin Laden, the Ozone Layer, and Nuclear War anyway and is just used, like abortion, to turn Christians to Conservatism.  After all some Christians are so passionate on Abortion that even if they hate everything else about the Pro-Life candidate and love everything else about the Pro-Choice guy they'll vote pro-life.  Talk about control!

-FHF  ;)

Check for new replies or respond here...