inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Put down that Miller, Pick up a Bud

Written By: danootaandme on 02/12/05 at 8:44 am

Miller Distributor Employee Fired After Having a Bud

AP
Isac Aguero used to tote cases of Miller beer for a living, but Bud Light is his brew of choice. And that, he says, got him fired.
Strange News:
· Drunk Birds, Droopy Drawers & More

RACINE, Wis. (Feb. 11) - A local man may have found out first-hand just how nasty the competition is between the world's two biggest beermakers.

Isac Aguero, 24, said he was fired from his job with a Miller Brewing distributor, the same day a picture appeared in The Journal Times of Racine of him drinking a Bud Light, which is brewed by Anheuser-Busch Co.

The photo, taken Feb. 5, was part of the newspaper's weekly "On the Town" feature, which depicts the city's night life.

Aguero, who had been a forklift operator at CJW Inc. for four years, told the newspaper he was informed by co-workers when he arrived at work Monday that he was in trouble because of the picture.

He said he was called into the general manager's office and told he was fired. Aguero said he was not given a reason and claimed he never had problems with his bosses.

"It was a Saturday and I wasn't at work," he told The Journal Times. "They can't tell me what beverages I can drink.

"Bud Light's my beer of choice, I always drink that. Just because I work there, do I have to change what I drink?"

The Journal Times quoted a CJW employee who refused to give her name as confirming that Aguero had been fired, but declining to comment about the circumstances of his dismissal.

A woman at CJW who refused to give her name Friday to The Associated Press declined to confirm that Aguero had been fired. She said the company could not legally release information contained in Aguero's personnel file.

Repeated calls Friday by The Associated Press to the phone number listed for Aguero went unanswered.

Dave Hock, vice president of Beechwood Distributors, which supplies Anheuser-Busch products in southeastern Wisconsin, said:

"We hate to see anybody get let go who's enjoying a nice cold Bud Light on his own time. We hate to see that come from any competitor, be it CJW or anybody. We don't think it's fair to the individual to be fired based on what he was drinking."

Subject: Re: Put down that Miller, Pick up a Bud

Written By: Alchoholica on 02/12/05 at 2:59 pm

Let's see Busch give him a job then  ;)

Written By: Alchoholica on 02/12/05 at 3:12 pm

I have a friend who used to work for a Miller distributor & drank Bud all the time...with the owner of the company.  When you asked him, he'd tell you flat out...Miller pays their distributors better...

My Uncles friend works for Busch (hell in St Louis who the hell dosen't) anywho.. i know for a fact that he gets more than 4 free cases a week  :o Hell.. that's a perk right there.

IMO this guy is gonna sue, and he is gonna win. It's crazy to dismiss somebody based on there personal preference in beverage.
Of course a lot of company's do have policys like this.. for instance i think most bank employee's must have accounts with that bank.

Still.. he'll be getting the rounds in after his lawsuit has paid off

Written By: danootaandme on 02/12/05 at 3:48 pm

Of course a lot of company's do have policys like this.. for instance i think most bank employee's must have accounts with that bank.

No, but most offer free checking and direct deposit, and offer things for you to keep your money with
them.  You are able to zero balance your account because if they were to hold back any would be akin to non-payment of wages. It would be a huge wage issue that could be pounced on in a New York minute.

Written By: Alchoholica on 02/12/05 at 3:50 pm

That may be the case in the states i guess, i know for a fact that three banks here in the U.K have a policy like the one i described. Bank with us or go!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/12/05 at 5:54 pm

This is why we need organized labor.  Without it, the bosses can fire you for any reason they d*mn well please.  On the surface, it's funny, underneath it is sick.  It reminds of the time that high school kid got suspended for wearing a Pepsi shirt on" Coca-Cola Day."

Anyway, Bud is a good beer to drink with a burger and fries, but not so good for drinking beer for beer's sake.  I would drink dirty dishwater before I would drink a Miller of any kind.

Written By: Alchoholica on 02/12/05 at 5:57 pm

This is why we need organized labor.  Without it, the bosses can fire you for any reason they d*mn well please.  On the surface, it's funny, underneath it is sick.  It reminds of the time that high school kid got suspended for wearing a Pepsi shirt on" Coca-Cola Day."

Anyway, Bud is a good beer to drink with a burger and fries, but not so good for drinking beer for beer's sake.  I would drink dirty dishwater before I would drink a Miller of any kind.

Pepsi sent him somewhere in the region of $300 worth of Pepsi merchandise.. good on em.

Check for new replies or respond here...