inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Korea threatens to bomb The states

Written By: whitewolf on 02/13/05 at 2:37 pm

On the news channels today, Korea put out the statement that it has enough Nuclear power to reach the White house and bomb it. Japan, China and the US are trying to convince Korea to stop using Nuclear wepons or they will be bombed.

It should be posted on the net somewhere by tomorrow.

Subject: Re: Korea threatens to bomb The states

Written By: Alchoholica on 02/13/05 at 2:39 pm

Well.. if it just reached the White House  ::)

Written By: sputnikcorp on 02/13/05 at 2:46 pm

yesterday i heard on the news that north korea is asking for loyalty from it's citizens. it doesn't look good. i'm wondering if this situation comes to an all out war would china intervene on the side of NK...

Written By: Alchoholica on 02/13/05 at 2:48 pm

Hoo Ha.

The chinese aren't stupid. They are fully aware of what kind of position that would put them in.

If China came down on there side.. world war III folks. No sheeshtin.

Written By: Alchoholica on 02/13/05 at 3:11 pm

And when the sky darkens and the prospect is war
Who's given a gun and then pushed to the fore
And expected to die for the land of our birth
Though we've never owned one lousy handful of earth?

Who do ye think.

Bushy couldn't be stupid enough to Bomb North Korea. He is treading a knife edge now.

Written By: Dagwood on 02/13/05 at 3:15 pm

I have always thought that if WWIII did happen it would be a delusional leader that would start it, like North Korea.  Kim Jong Il is insane and scares the crap out of me way more than the USSR did back in the early 80's.

Written By: Alchoholica on 02/13/05 at 3:19 pm

Scares the sheeshe outta me as well.. i think it scares everybody.

He is a maniac, he has also become far more unstable over the past few years

Written By: Alchoholica on 02/13/05 at 3:28 pm

Yup.

I ain't going there (clutches mat of hair)

What are we predicting then, 4,000,000.. 5,000,000 dead? Thanks George.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/13/05 at 4:07 pm

Thanks alot, George,  I am offically now scared.

Written By: sputnikcorp on 02/13/05 at 4:11 pm

why are we blaming george here, he didn't start this mess.

Written By: AL-B on 02/13/05 at 4:19 pm

I haven't read this story, but my guess is that Kim Jong Il is bluffing. Maybe they have a bomb, maybe they don't, but do they have the means to deliver it all the way to Washington? And if they do have a bomb they haven't even tested it yet, so who knows if it will even work? My guess is that they don't have the long-range missile technology to carry out such a strike, and if they tried using a conventional bomber it would be blasted out of the sky as soon as it got out of North Korean airspace. Of far greater concern is South Korea. The capital, Seoul, is only 50 miles from the border, which would place it well within reach of even the crudest of ballistic missiles.
   Surely Kim Jong Il must realize that this would be a suicide mission. If he was foolish enough to launch a nuclear strike anywhere North Korea would instantly be turned into one big parking lot. I'm not saying that we shouldn't be concerned (and God forbid if this DID happen who knows what action China would take), but I don't think that North Korea poses a serious threat to the continental U.S. as of yet.

Written By: Dagwood on 02/13/05 at 4:34 pm

why are we blaming george here, he didn't start this mess.

I agree. 

Written By: Alchoholica on 02/13/05 at 4:40 pm

I haven't read this story, but my guess is that Kim Jong Il is bluffing. Maybe they have a bomb, maybe they don't, but do they have the means to deliver it all the way to Washington? And if they do have a bomb they haven't even tested it yet, so who knows if it will even work? My guess is that they don't have the long-range missile technology to carry out such a strike, and if they tried using a conventional bomber it would be blasted out of the sky as soon as it got out of North Korean airspace. Of far greater concern is South Korea. The capital, Seoul, is only 50 miles from the border, which would place it well within reach of even the crudest of ballistic missiles.
   Surely Kim Jong Il must realize that this would be a suicide mission. If he was foolish enough to launch a nuclear strike anywhere North Korea would instantly be turned into one big parking lot. I'm not saying that we shouldn't be concerned (and God forbid if this DID happen who knows what action China would take), but I don't think that North Korea poses a serious threat to the continental U.S. as of yet.

He isn't concerned, he dosen't care about his own people and his biggest aim is to be rememberd.
He has also threatend to turn Seoul in to and i quote 'A Sea of Fire'

Written By: AL-B on 02/13/05 at 4:50 pm

He isn't concerned, he dosen't care about his own people and his biggest aim is to be rememberd.
He has also threatend to turn Seoul in to and i quote 'A Sea of Fire'
If this is the case, then perhaps a conventional pre-emptive strike by the U.S. shouldn't be out of the question.

Written By: sputnikcorp on 02/13/05 at 4:51 pm

If this is the case, then perhaps a conventional pre-emptive strike by the U.S. shouldn't be out of the question.

would that be conventional or nuclear?

Written By: danootaandme on 02/13/05 at 5:20 pm

Kim IL Jong is a nut job and I wouldn't put anything past him.  We have an anti ballistic system that
will intercept anything out of the sky the flies between N. Korea and here (take a look at the map), China is not on N. Koreas side, never has been.  They are aware of where their(and our) interests lie.  It is the fault of george and company because of the dismal breakdown in foreign relations since the day he come into power.  AND,  as Alchoholica said" if it just hit the whitheouse" :)

Written By: AL-B on 02/13/05 at 5:20 pm

would that be conventional or nuclear?
I don't think nukes should be used except perhaps as a retaliatory measure if North Korea launches a nuclear strike agains South Korea. (Again I don't believe that they have the capability to reach North America yet.) However, if it appears imminent that North Korea is going to launch a strike against the South then I think an air-strike against their nuclear facilities with conventional bombs
could be justified.

(I hope I never see nuclear weapons used in my lifetime, but with all these nutjobs getting access to them I'm losing hope.)

Written By: AL-B on 02/13/05 at 5:39 pm

China is not on N. Koreas side, never has been.

Not true. During the Korean War, when U.S. and allied forces first entered Korea, they were so successful that they had almost driven the entire North Korean army out of the Korean peninsula and into China. Red China joined the North Koreans and sent thousands of their troops in along with North Korea's and pushed the U.N. forces back drastically. The two sides see-sawed back and forth until the armistice was signed that created the present border. If it wasn't for China, North Korea would not exist and the Korean peninsula would be united under the South's rule.
    As for today, I honestly don't know where China stands on North Korea, but I can't help but think that it would be in their best interest to try and rein in Kim Jong Il.
They are aware of where their(and our) interests lie.  It is the fault of george and company because of the dismal breakdown in foreign relations since the day he come into power.  AND,  as Alchoholica said" if it just hit the whitheouse" :)
You can't pin this all on George W. Bush. Yes, his "cowboy diplomacy" has ruffled a lot of feathers and escalated world tensions far more than necessary, but it's not like North Korea all of a sudden scrambled to build a bomb just to protect themselves from Bush. They've been trying to build a bomb for years. We're not the bad guys in this case.
    Interesting fact:  Did you know that the Korean War never officially ended? North and South Korea are still technicaly under a cease fire order that was signed in 1953.  They've still officially been at a state of war since then.

Check for new replies or respond here...