inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: TODAY MUSIC SUCKS!!!!!!!!

Written By: KRQPMV21JS on 02/13/05 at 4:11 pm

1980s RULE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Subject: Re: TODAY MUSIC SUCKS!!!!!!!!

Written By: woops on 02/13/05 at 5:16 pm

Most of us, actually all of us agree.  :)  :D

Though there's a few exception like Jet, The Killers, The Sounds, The White Stripes, Franz Fernidand, Blink 182, to name a few.  :)

Written By: AL-B on 02/13/05 at 6:19 pm

There's only two kinds of music, good and bad. This is regardless of era or genre.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/13/05 at 6:27 pm

Mainstream sucks today, but indie rap is awesome and I really don't have a problem with modern rock (except emo/pop-punk.  Yuck  :P )

Written By: Apricot on 02/13/05 at 8:11 pm

HOLYsheesh! You're so freaking original! I've never heard somebody say today's music sucks- AND THEN PUT IT ON THIS BOARD! It's so fresh, so new, so bold, so daring, so...

Do I have to keep going?

Seriously, I started like this, and came this close to making everyone hate me. Don't pull sheesh like this, man.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/13/05 at 8:13 pm

HOLYsheesh! You're so freaking original! I've never heard somebody say today's music sucks- AND THEN PUT IT ON THIS BOARD! It's so fresh, so new, so bold, so daring, so...

Do I have to keep going?

Seriously, I started like this, and came this close to making everyone hate me. Don't pull sh** like this, man.

Oh yeah!  Didn't you launch an "I Hate the 80s" things 9 months or so back?

Written By: Apricot on 02/13/05 at 8:23 pm

Yes, I did. And I've learned since then.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/13/05 at 8:25 pm

Yes, I did. And I've learned since then.

That's today's ill and stuff but the 80s kicked a*s?  ;)

Written By: Trimac20 on 02/13/05 at 8:45 pm

Yes, I tend to agree to your very general statement. Pop music in the 60s, 70s and 80s (ok, less so the 80s) was actually original, and left a lasting impression. Whereas today's 'mainstream' stuff is largely a re-gurgitation of 90s ideas. The two main camps in the commercial industry are the big labels and of course the independents. There are thousands of good indie bands (some on major labels) today (perhaps more so than ever) only know making a mark in the mainstream. While groups like The Strokes, Libertines, Vines, Killers.etc have been hailed as the 'saviours of Rock and Roll' there are many other more obscure bands which are just as good (if not better) who value creative experimentation over making cash.

Being no expert, I can't really say too much but I think the true 'alternative' music scene is looking quite healthy. There is a return to the riff-driven 70s rock (i notice the resurgence of nostalgic 60s stones/doors inspired rock mixed in with brit-pop), as well as some interesting 'synthetic' music.
Needless to say, I rarely listen to commercial radio stations.
I suppose people need to make money, and so new tunes have to be churned out from the hit factory ever day for the masses who greet music as a commodity like they would their next meal.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/13/05 at 8:54 pm

Yes, I tend to agree to your very general statement. Pop music in the 60s, 70s and 80s (ok, less so the 80s) was actually original, and left a lasting impression. Whereas today's 'mainstream' stuff is largely a re-gurgitation of 90s ideas. The two main camps in the commercial industry are the big labels and of course the independents. There are thousands of good indie bands (some on major labels) today (perhaps more so than ever) only know making a mark in the mainstream. While groups like The Strokes, Libertines, Vines, Killers.etc have been hailed as the 'saviours of Rock and Roll' there are many other more obscure bands which are just as good (if not better) who value creative experimentation over making cash.

Being no expert, I can't really say too much but I think the true 'alternative' music scene is looking quite healthy. There is a return to the riff-driven 70s rock (i notice the resurgence of nostalgic 60s stones/doors inspired rock mixed in with brit-pop), as well as some interesting 'synthetic' music.
Needless to say, I rarely listen to commercial radio stations.
I suppose people need to make money, and so new tunes have to be churned out from the hit factory ever day for the masses who greet music as a commodity like they would their next meal.

Perhaps it's a regurgitation of nineties stuff, but I'd more say a regurgitation of all music ideas since the 50s and 60s really.  But most mainstream pop has always sucked.  I like 80s pop mostly for the synths.  Even for 80s stuff I'm into semi-underground stuff (although I like big New Wave hits best).  The 90s only get recycled more than anything else because they're recent.  Besides, how's that a down for the 1990s? 

Anyway, mainstream music has sucked since 1997, but it hasn't been stagnant.  There's been different crap and rock isn't doing that bad.  And there have been other crappy periods for music too (1960-1963, 1971-1973, 1988-1990 to name a few). 

Of course 60s and 70s stuff is more "original" than later acts, it was there first!  If we went back to that style it wouldn't be!  I don't have a problem with a music, I just like synthy sound better than purely organic sound, although melodic, non-robotic synths are best.  Asking 20-00s music to be as original as mid-to-late 20th century music is like asking your younger brother to be born before you. 

Written By: AL-B on 02/13/05 at 9:08 pm

It's funny, but when I was much younger I too was yelling out "TODAY'S MUSIC SUCKS!!!!!!!!" That was in 1987.  ;D

Written By: sputnikcorp on 02/13/05 at 11:45 pm

It's funny, but when I was much younger I too was yelling out "TODAY'S MUSIC SUCKS!!!!!!!!" That was in 1987.  ;D

with the exception of a handful of bands at that time, that was my impression too.

Written By: McDonald on 02/14/05 at 1:23 pm

Most of us, actually all of us agree.  :)   :D

Though there's a few exception like Jet, The Killers, The Sounds, The White Stripes, Franz Fernidand, Blink 182, to name a few.  :)

Ooo. Ouch. Jet, FF, White Stripes, and Blink all attract my wrath for sucking so hard (that's just one man's opinion). Here are some of my more contemporary favs, and you tell me if you like.

Deadsy
The Faint
Queens of the Stone Age
Saves the Day (Stay What You Are album only)
Basement Jaxx
Gorillaz
CKY
The Rapture
Coldplay (both albums, but mostly the first one)

Written By: pimpinsteelersfan on 02/14/05 at 3:41 pm

I totally agree man.

Written By: mr.smith s on 02/14/05 at 5:39 pm

Most of us, actually all of us agree.  :)   :D

The sounds are AWESOME!

and so are the Raveonettes!

Written By: Trimac20 on 02/14/05 at 9:24 pm

There's been different crap and rock isn't doing that bad.  And there have been other crappy periods for music too (1960-1963, 1971-1973, 1988-1990 to name a few). 

I'm probably nit-picking, but I think the period 71-73 was one of the best of all time. With such new talent (in the mainstream) as Elton John, Led Zeppelin (who released Led Zep IV in '71 or '72), Black Sabbath, Jethro Tull.etc.etc.

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/14/05 at 10:07 pm

I like some of today's music, but I don't like the hardcore ghetto rap, it's just not my thing. I like rock, r & b, and pop mostly. The punk bands are ok and the alternative stuff ain't bad.

Written By: thebutcheress on 02/15/05 at 7:41 am

There's only two kinds of music, good and bad. This is regardless of era or genre.

I agree. It's not like every era of music hasnt had one hit wonder\main stream pop crap. It pisses me off that you lump all current music into a pile and label it crap. I like the 80's and I liek alot of the grunge from the late 80's and early 90's, and I'm a fan of modern metal music. Manson, ozzy and sabbath(yeah i know they've been around for a while), slipknot, korn and others.

I'm not a fan of the 80's GLam rock stuff...  :( And the beatles aren't the best hting ever but their not all that bad.

Written By: Bobby on 02/15/05 at 10:32 am

I love old music but I have a special affection for 80s music. The problem I face is that I don't venture much into modern music because I don't want to get disillusioned with what I hear. :-\\

Written By: Apricot on 02/15/05 at 2:14 pm

Mainstream sucks, I agree. I like some 90s mainstream, like The Verve and such, and even less 2000s mainstream. But a lot of mainstream sucks. So I'm content with my Ween, Grandaddy, Modest Mouse {though they're losing the non-mainstreamedness} and the like.

I just don't like the 80s. I think it's the keyboards.

Written By: Apricot on 02/15/05 at 2:21 pm

awwww....how can you NOT like the "keytar"?  ;) ;) ;)

Don't know, just don't like the psuedo-futuristic sound.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/15/05 at 3:24 pm

Don't know, just don't like the psuedo-futuristic sound.

It is pretty campy and cheap usually ... but it sure sounds good  ;D

Do you like more organic sounds?

Written By: Apricot on 02/15/05 at 3:30 pm

Actually, I can like anything, really. Acoustic is cool, but I like electric stuff too. Grandaddy does that sort of thing, but it isn't trying to be so science-fictiony. The old 80s synths are kinda cheesy and attempt to be dramatic. These are just beautiful melodies done on keyboards.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/15/05 at 3:40 pm

Actually, I can like anything, really. Acoustic is cool, but I like electric stuff too. Grandaddy does that sort of thing, but it isn't trying to be so science-fictiony. The old 80s synths are kinda cheesy and attempt to be dramatic. These are just beautiful melodies done on keyboards.

Do Modest Mouse use synths? I know a lot of other indie bands do.  The hair metal synths are the cheesiest; Devo don't try to be too campy, they have a scifi feel but it's not to anthemic.  It still is a bit campy.  a-ha synth's are just beautiful, but do try to be dramatic.  I like it though, it's sorta a "monster movie" effect.  I don't know why, it just sounds good.

Actually you don't even need a keyboard to make good synths.  If you have any program that can change the frequency of sound files than you can make cool synths from scratch.

Written By: sputnikcorp on 02/15/05 at 3:46 pm

when your saying 80s synthesizers being "cheesy" remember the technology wasn't as good as it is today. i'm a big fan of industrial music and listening to 80s skinny puppy and NIN today, the tinny sound of the 80s synths is so obvious.

Written By: Apricot on 02/15/05 at 8:41 pm

Do Modest Mouse use synths? I know a lot of other indie bands do.  The hair metal synths are the cheesiest; Devo don't try to be too campy, they have a scifi feel but it's not to anthemic.  It still is a bit campy.  a-ha synth's are just beautiful, but do try to be dramatic.  I like it though, it's sorta a "monster movie" effect.  I don't know why, it just sounds good.

Actually you don't even need a keyboard to make good synths.  If you have any program that can change the frequency of sound files than you can make cool synths from scratch.

Modest Mouse doesn't use synths. That's part of why I like them.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/15/05 at 8:44 pm

Modest Mouse doesn't use synths. That's part of why I like them.

So do you not like other Nuwave/Post-Indie rock bands (as I call the new wave of rock Modest Mouse is a part of that's killing off numetal)?

Written By: Apricot on 02/15/05 at 8:47 pm

So do you not like other Nuwave/Post-Indie rock bands (as I call the new wave of rock Modest Mouse is a part of that's killing off numetal)?

Nope.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/15/05 at 8:48 pm

I love your avatar line, Apricot  :)  :D

Written By: Apricot on 02/15/05 at 8:57 pm

I love your avatar line, Apricot  :)  :D

;D

It's true, though. I've put up with too much crap. I've been too forgiving in every aspect. I take NO MORE sheesh.  ;D

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/15/05 at 9:21 pm

;D

It's true, though. I've put up with too much crap. I've been too forgiving in every aspect. I take NO MORE sh**. ;D

You seem to hide your anger a lot.  Why not let it out more?  Don't flame on people her, but if you release it it will leave. 

I say show your emotion, but don't act out on it if it means ill.

-FHF  :)

Written By: sputnikcorp on 02/15/05 at 9:24 pm

i have a lot of anger. i'm on paxil and it makes me HapPy!!!!  :). i also play RPGs, mini battle games and i drink like a fish. those activities are very cathartic and keeps me from flipping out.

Written By: Apricot on 02/16/05 at 3:30 pm

When I get mad, I get in trouble for being "moody" and my vents are taken as punishment. If I express anger other ways, the punishment is extended or added to. My only eventual option is to vent on other people. I try to calm, but the only things that ever worked were screaming at others or hurting myself. I try to write, but I get so self-loathing when I'm mad that I destroy most of my work.

Written By: Alchoholica on 02/16/05 at 3:39 pm

Dude.. Dude.. DUDE!!!

I have the answer.

Get yourself a guitar. Get yourself an AMP. Get yourself some Thrash.
Let it LOOOSEEEE!!!!

I get angry all the time (very angry person) but ya wouldn't think it because at least once a day i go ape sheesh on my guitar, just screaming, shouting whatever man..It's awesome.

Written By: Apricot on 02/17/05 at 8:53 pm

Dude.. Dude.. DUDE!!!

I have the answer.

Get yourself a guitar. Get yourself an AMP. Get yourself some Thrash.
Let it LOOOSEEEE!!!!

I get angry all the time (very angry person) but ya wouldn't think it because at least once a day i go ape sh** on my guitar, just screaming, shouting whatever man..It's awesome.

I have a guitar. It doesn't work.

Written By: Apricot on 02/17/05 at 8:57 pm

I should clarify: The guitar is functional, but it doesn't relieve stress too well. I used to hurt myself to relieve the pain. Now, I don't. Usually, I just channel the stress into depression and let it run it's course.

Written By: Apricot on 02/17/05 at 8:58 pm

Confession!

Aha isn't that bad. I kinda like that "Take on Me" song.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/17/05 at 9:02 pm

Confession!

Aha isn't that bad. I kinda like that "Take on Me" song.

That's all you need to like!  ;D :)  I have a feeling even my brother, who hates pretty much ALL New Wave, would like that song.  Love songs don't get any better than that.

Written By: Apricot on 02/17/05 at 9:06 pm

That's all you need to like!  ;D :)  I have a feeling even my brother, who hates pretty much ALL New Wave, would like that song.  Love songs don't get any better than that.

It's just so darn catchy!  :D

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/17/05 at 9:13 pm

It's just so darn catchy! :D

It sure is!  I can't sing the high notes though! A-ha must of picked up a lot a chicks back in the days!  :D

Written By: Apricot on 02/17/05 at 9:18 pm

It sure is!  I can't sing the high notes though! A-ha must of picked up a lot a chicks back in the days!  :D

That's weird. A high, feminine voice could pick up chicks!  ;)  ;D

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/17/05 at 9:47 pm

That's weird. A high, feminine voice could pick up chicks! ;) ;D

Harket is a bit of a p*ssy  ;D

Written By: Apricot on 02/17/05 at 10:01 pm

Harket is a bit of a pussy  ;D

;D Quite....

Written By: KRQPMV21JS on 02/20/05 at 8:38 pm

when i say today music sucks...i really do mean it,,,everything aobut so far about 2000 till now stated to suck and it all started with music for ex. Rap & Hip Hop...its good music..not rweally agaisnt its just...its been crroupting allot of minds in the USA about violence and guns and drugs and...other stuff i wont discuss...see stuff like this makes america look bad, we got guys with shirts hanging to the florr...and girls dressing up like men???? dude what going on hear...w/e happedn to the good old days....oh by the way i was 88' so i dotn remeber much...but i have 80's in me

Written By: Apricot on 02/20/05 at 8:43 pm

So every last thing sucks, then? Be careful with generilizations.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/20/05 at 8:45 pm

when i say today music sucks...i really do mean it,,,everything aobut so far about 2000 till now stated to suck and it all started with music for ex. Rap & Hip Hop...its good music..not rweally agaisnt its just...its been crroupting allot of minds in the USA about violence and guns and drugs and...other stuff i wont discuss...see stuff like this makes america look bad, we got guys with shirts hanging to the florr...and girls dressing up like men???? dude what going on hear...w/e happedn to the good old days....oh by the way i was 88' so i dotn remeber much...but i have 80's in me

While I think it promote drugs, come on, what normal kid would pick up a gun and shoot their best friend after listening to the new 50 cent song?  But the music sucks and I don't like the ways it promotes drug, but even more just haunts people's minds and makes them more paranoid.  I dislike it as much for its lack of creativity as for its content.  Thank God for Underground Rap, some nu-metal, and Nu-wave (00s, not 80s type, which is New Wave).

Written By: AL-B on 02/21/05 at 2:39 am

My problem with today's music (at least that crap they try to call "hard rock") is that it's too S-L-O-W.

Written By: Dante20 on 03/03/05 at 8:36 pm

not all music sucks there are still a few good bands out there

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 03/03/05 at 8:54 pm

not all music sucks there are still a few good bands out there

Yeah like underground rap and many nuwave bands.  In fact some of my fav bands are numetal.  Anyone who hate's todays music look up Sage Francis.  You may be lighter on the 2000s.  8)

-DR

Written By: Dante20 on 03/03/05 at 8:56 pm

well i think there are you just have to look and hear for them

Written By: KRQPMV21JS on 03/23/05 at 10:13 pm

Do I have to keep going?

Seriously, I started like this, and came this close to making everyone hate me. Don't pull sh** like this, man.

Thank you for the compliment...yes i like that idea of being oringnal after watching many movies...but even though this thread was started on the basis of the logical fallicy: Generalization...if u really think aobut it...all the rap today promotes drugs , sex, and violence...i mean i certainly would not be surpized if Mr.Harris listen to some 50cent before going to Clolumbine High school?...the point is mainstream rap is not good for us...that y i found refuge in the my loving place...the 80's...now emo/punk rock, bah they have fake id's so they get in so does pop and r&b and jazz..but rap and hip-hop bah, get Mike Tyson on them at bet on on Iron Mike winning!

Written By: Apricot on 03/23/05 at 10:18 pm

Again, you're making sweeps "all the rap today promotes". And you know this... how?

Anyway, I'm not saying I'm pro-mainstream-pop, But I'm anti-everyonebitchesabouttodaysmusic and anti-sweepinggenerilizations.

Written By: KRQPMV21JS on 03/23/05 at 10:23 pm

dude just turn on the television...or better yet just go outside and see what happends in area....well depends where do u live son?

Written By: Robbo on 03/23/05 at 11:05 pm

I tedn to agree that the 80's RULE!! I just was sorting through by old videos (and by old I mean old) and found Purple Rain. I thought I had lost it. I just finished watching and it never fails to sweep me off my feet. Great music. Really, really great music. Then my sister comes over with her daughter (my neice) and my neice asked me, "Can I play one of my CD's on your stereo?" I was like, "Sure." But then when the "music" started I was outta there. Couldn't stand the crap that called "music." It was some dude saying "let me hear ya say hoooo" "gansta, gangsta", "all my homies through ya hands in the air". There was no melody at all, just a dude shoutin out street talk. It was ridculous. The beat was pathetic too. It was just a whole load of bass with the tingyist hi-hat you'll ever hear and a clappin sound replacing the snare. Give me a break.
Today's music does suck!!

Written By: 90s boy on 03/23/05 at 11:52 pm

i only like stuff from the 80's and 90's cause music ruled back then once we started hitting 2003 i nidiced a change in how music souned and how it was done......horrble im embrssed to even be liveing in a world now were music sucks it should be lik ehow it was in the 80's and 90's and som,e stuff from 2000 2001 2002 and that were it ends 4 me ;D

Written By: KRQPMV21JS on 03/24/05 at 12:12 am

I tedn to agree that the 80's RULE!! I just was sorting through by old videos (and by old I mean old) and found Purple Rain. I thought I had lost it. I just finished watching and it never fails to sweep me off my feet. Great music. Really, really great music. Then my sister comes over with her daughter (my neice) and my neice asked me, "Can I play one of my CD's on your stereo?" I was like, "Sure." But then when the "music" started I was outta there. Couldn't stand the crap that called "music." It was some dude saying "let me hear ya say hoooo" "gansta, gangsta", "all my homies through ya hands in the air". There was no melody at all, just a dude shoutin out street talk. It was ridculous. The beat was pathetic too. It was just a whole load of bass with the tingyist hi-hat you'll ever hear and a clappin sound replacing the snare. Give me a break.
Today's music does suck!!

that makes 2 of us, Apricot...its kinda like walking into a room of pop music...when you are all about heavy metal rock...and it was just explained by my example and Robbo example

Written By: KRQPMV21JS on 03/24/05 at 12:13 am

i only like stuff from the 80's and 90's cause music ruled back then once we started hitting 2003 i nidiced a change in how music souned and how it was done......horrble im embrssed to even be liveing in a world now were music sucks it should be lik ehow it was in the 80's and 90's and som,e stuff from 2000 2001 2002 and that were it ends 4 me ;D

agreed 110 %...

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 03/24/05 at 2:14 am

Ahhh, back to this grand old topic again  ;D

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 03/24/05 at 10:03 am

No kidding, why can't we all just get along?  :D

Written By: Apricot on 03/24/05 at 10:20 am

dude just turn on the television...or better yet just go outside and see what happends in area....well depends where do u live son?

I live in a hick town in the middle of nowhere. I'm surrounded by the country equivalent of bubblegum pop. AND normal bubblegum pop. But I don't find the need to jump on a bandwagon of angry people who find the need to b_tch about how much this music sucks. I don't like it too much either, but I've found my own bands. And they aren't like this bubblegum pop you judge all music on. You're making a real big sweep, and you are not correct. That would be like me saying "BLACK PEOPLE SUCK!" if I knew a good deal of African-Americans who I didn't care for {again, I don't know them all, but I'm saying they all suck and then backing up that that is what I meant.} or "CATS SUCK!" because my neighbor has 3 cats that knock over my garbage cans.

Concerning "going outside or turning on the TV": Yeah, dude, sheesh happens. Too f__king bad. You can't blame it on rap or anything else. If it were still the 80s, we'd still have crime, but there'd be sheeshty synth pop music to go with it. It's not like crime is fueled by music, it's fueled by money, drugs, sex, BLIND HATE, anger, mental conditions. Hmmmmm... Didn't see music on that list.

Written By: sputnikcorp on 03/24/05 at 10:32 am

I live in a hick town in the middle of nowhere. I'm surrounded by the country equivalent of bubblegum pop. AND normal bubblegum pop. But I don't find the need to jump on a bandwagon of angry people who find the need to b_tch about how much this music sucks. I don't like it too much either, but I've found my own bands. And they aren't like this bubblegum pop you judge all music on. You're making a real big sweep, and you are not correct. That would be like me saying "BLACK PEOPLE SUCK!" if I knew a good deal of African-Americans who I didn't care for {again, I don't know them all, but I'm saying they all suck and then backing up that that is what I meant.} or "CATS SUCK!" because my neighbor has 3 cats that knock over my garbage cans.

Concerning "going outside or turning on the TV": Yeah, dude, sh** happens. Too f__king bad. You can't blame it on rap or anything else. If it were still the 80s, we'd still have crime, but there'd be sheeshty synth pop music to go with it. It's not like crime is fueled by music, it's fueled by money, drugs, sex, BLIND HATE, anger, mental conditions. Hmmmmm... Didn't see music on that list.

tell it like it is, apricot. music doesn't turn people to crime, it's a reflection of whats already out there in society. i love the sheeshty synth pop remark, classic... ;D

Written By: jiminy on 03/24/05 at 10:35 am

Concerning "going outside or turning on the TV": Yeah, dude, sh** happens. Too f__king bad. You can't blame it on rap or anything else. If it were still the 80s, we'd still have crime, but there'd be sheeshty synth pop music to go with it. It's not like crime is fueled by music, it's fueled by money, drugs, sex, BLIND HATE, anger, mental conditions. Hmmmmm... Didn't see music on that list.
do BLACK PEOPLE knock over your trach cans?   ;D

Written By: Apricot on 03/24/05 at 10:36 am

Yes, they do. They come by and knock over my garbage cans and make weird noises around my house. It's horrible!  ;D

And thanks, sputnik. I'm curious as to how he'll respond to this.

Written By: KRQPMV21JS on 03/24/05 at 7:49 pm

dude...hehe...its funny how funny how this works...look im not trying to start anything with you...im just simply stating an opinion that can be backed up(i already did state my reasons)...you make seem as if this the united nations deciding a war against a country or somethin...look...to shorten it up...basicly what im saying may not be true in your eyes...maybe in that old hillbilly tow of yours nothing happends...but here in Hialeah in Florida right next to Miami...we got someboyd murder at least every day...and you know what i know sh*t happends...but why everyday?...i mean in a county north of us by jacksonville only 94 people where killed in a single county in one year(2004)...now doesnt that tell you something...of course there is something wrong...so what is causing it...violence, drugs, sex,music, tv, movies...the media has an infulence on a population...& even i dont need a reason for that...so your wondering how i will respond to this...really basicaly i will let the actions of the world aorund you that u refuse to see explain it to you since you can see it from my perspective...and then maybe, just maybe you might just say "dam that bastard on the net was right all along"

Written By: sputnikcorp on 03/24/05 at 8:11 pm

dude...hehe...its funny how funny how this works...look im not trying to start anything with you...im just simply stating an opinion that can be backed up(i already did state my reasons)...you make seem as if this the united nations deciding a war against a country or somethin...look...to shorten it up...basicly what im saying may not be true in your eyes...maybe in that old hillbilly tow of yours nothing happends...but here in Hialeah in Florida right next to Miami...we got someboyd murder at least every day...and you know what i know sh*t happends...but why everyday?...i mean in a county north of us by jacksonville only 94 people where killed in a single county in one year(2004)...now doesnt that tell you something...of course there is something wrong...so what is causing it...violence, drugs, sex,music, tv, movies...the media has an infulence on a population...& even i dont need a reason for that...so your wondering how i will respond to this...really basicaly i will let the actions of the world aorund you that u refuse to see explain it to you since you can see it from my perspective...and then maybe, just maybe you might just say "dam that bastard on the net was right all along"

so, do you believe in censorship then? if we were to fight this plague of violent rap then it must be censored. why stop there, let's go after violent movies and video game. after all they contribute to downfall of society. why stop at the media, lets go after everything that makes us aggresive and violent...the bible makes people angry, the quran makes people crash planes into buildings too!

it's not the media that makes us violent, it's more complex than that. where you live, in the inner city (i'm assuming), it's economical. rap is a voice of those who live in such conditions and the inner city has always been violent no matter what age of history you look at.

Written By: Alchoholica on 03/25/05 at 8:15 am

so, do you believe in censorship then? if we were to fight this plague of violent rap then it must be censored. why stop there, let's go after violent movies and video game. after all they contribute to downfall of society. why stop at the media, lets go after everything that makes us aggresive and violent...the bible makes people angry, the quran makes people crash planes into buildings too!

Sports have hurt people in the past, let's get rid of football, baseball, soccer... wait wait wait, Golf, oh god that Club could be used as a weapon let's get rid of that. Hey, Trees, trees have been used to hang people, let's cut em all down and burn them, Grass! GRASS! Grass make some people sneeze, that must piss them off, let's get rid of it all so they don't go nuts.
Hey, if i was gonna shoot somebody i'd need fingers to pull the trigger right, better cut them off, hell i better cut the whole arm off...

Tell you what, let's all go live in Biodomes, with no music, no films, no sports, no books, no nature, no expression and we'll all live much safer lives.

And about 6 months later we'll all find a way to kill ourselves ::)

Written By: Dave Brown on 03/25/05 at 12:06 pm

I wouldn't say that. I think some of the stuff from today is alright.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/25/05 at 12:08 pm

Only some of todays' music!

Written By: AL-B on 03/25/05 at 8:36 pm

All right, I'm gonna say something that should've been said a long time ago: If you don't like today's music, then DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT! I once read where Joey Ramone was saying how he was sick of all the "progressive rock" of the early 70's with its long, drawn out 10-minute guitar solos, and how he missed the garage rock and pop of the mid 60's that he felt was more simple, energetic, and FUN. So instead of sitting around and whining about it, he and his buddies formed a band so they could play the kind of music that THEY liked.
    So I say to you: If you're really that fed up with today's music, then go out and learn to play an instrument (whether it be guitar, keyboards, or whatever you like) and once you've learned to play capably you may very well find yourself composing tunes of your own, into which you can incorporate the style of music you like. And there has never been a better time to do this. Never before has the equipment for home recording been so available and affordable to the general public. Today you can buy a good multitrack digital recorder (including drum effects and a CD burner) for under $1000, and with sound that is of near-professional quality. (I don't have one as of yet--I'm still trying to get established in a new town, but once I have the money I plan on buying one and who knows? Someday I might even put an mp3 out there for all of you to critique.)

Written By: KRQPMV21JS on 03/26/05 at 4:12 pm

it's not the media that makes us violent, it's more complex than that. where you live, in the inner city (i'm assuming), it's economical. rap is a voice of those who live in such conditions and the inner city has always been violent no matter what age of history you look at.

well i would stop at that...but im not gonna say offensive "the quran makes people crash planes into buildings too"...i mean say if you want be it really doesnt muslism's are not bad...its only the rebels...the ones who are fighting our troops over there in iraq God help them all....but that also a nice perspective...be even though im not buying it...which is ok but you could buy my view on things or throw it out...and if you do OK!...thats cool lol...i dont mind were just here expressing opinions thats all..

Written By: KRQPMV21JS on 03/26/05 at 4:14 pm

lol..keyword some and oh yeah i would say it...and again 1980's/ 80's rule!

Written By: sputnikcorp on 03/26/05 at 4:16 pm

well i would stop at that...but im not gonna say offensive "the quran makes people crash planes into buildings too"...i mean say if you want be it really doesnt muslism's are not bad...its only the rebels...the ones who are fighting our troops over there in iraq God help them all....but that also a nice perspective...be even though im not buying it...which is ok but you could buy my view on things or throw it out...and if you do OK!...thats cool lol...i dont mind were just here expressing opinions thats all..

i had no intention of pointing fingers at muslims, i just used it as an example of a runaway attitude that comes from censorship.

Written By: Dave Brown on 03/26/05 at 4:19 pm

Today's music is just excellent. Why live in the past?

Written By: KRQPMV21JS on 03/26/05 at 4:25 pm

All right, I'm gonna say something that should've been said a long time ago: If you don't like today's music, then DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT! I once read where Joey Ramone was saying how he was sick of all the "progressive rock" of the early 70's with its long, drawn out 10-minute guitar solos, and how he missed the garage rock and pop of the mid 60's that he felt was more simple, energetic, and FUN. So instead of sitting around and whining about it, he and his buddies formed a band so they could play the kind of music that THEY liked.
     So I say to you: If you're really that fed up with today's music, then go out and learn to play an instrument (whether it be guitar, keyboards, or whatever you like) and once you've learned to play capably you may very well find yourself composing tunes of your own, into which you can incorporate the style of music you like. And there has never been a better time to do this. Never before has the equipment for home recording been so available and affordable to the general public. Today you can buy a good multitrack digital recorder (including drum effects and a CD burner) for under $1000, and with sound that is of near-professional quality. (I don't have one as of yet--I'm still trying to get established in a new town, but once I have the money I plan on buying one and who knows? Someday I might even put an mp3 out there for all of you to critique.)

im glad you say that...becuase guess what..I AM!...i am saving up for a synththeiser...and maybe thought up of getting gutar lessons...but i am...and also a big thing...its not only music...let me give you an exmple before Nelly's song came out Air Force Ones...no one did give a crap aobut those shoes since Air Jordan Had them on back in when he was a rookie..then after the video came out...mass production of a shoe over 20 years old was everywhere!!!...same thing with Converse All Star shoes....now what im saying yeah not only music..but style, fashion, looks, EVEN VOCABULARY DUDE!...just keep in mind i like the 80's...same thing for some one who likes 60's and tries to look like paul mcartney back when he was a kid or Geroge or John or Ringo...me personally i liek Sonny Crockett from Miami Vice...and yes i do have my hair just like him him...and some pastel shirts but i need the car.....see what i mean, and also...can forget the the music...totally new wave man!

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 03/28/05 at 12:34 am

I still can't get my head around why people listen to the radio/pop (aka, radio = pop and pop = radio). It seems to me pop is made by stupid people for stupid people, people who don't really use their brains..... ya know what I mean?

Sigh..... I'm about to get flamed, which always makes reading replys just that much more amusing.  :D

Written By: ADH13 on 03/28/05 at 12:44 am

I still can't get my head around why people listen to the radio/pop (aka, radio = pop and pop = radio). It seems to me pop is made by stupid people for stupid people, people who don't really use their brains..... ya know what I mean?

Sigh..... I'm about to get flamed, which always makes reading replys just that much more amusing.  :D

Well, it's probably because most people don't just go out and buy a CD unless they have first heard some of the songs on the radio...  I know I don't go into a store and say "oh, this looks like a good band" without ever hearing their music...

And as far as pop being for people who don't really use their brains, I think what you meant was that pop doesn't REQUIRE you to use your brains when listening to it...  you could say the same about many Beatles songs... and I think it is kind of nice to listen to a song sometimes and just enjoy it without having to sit and ponder the meanings of "abstract" lyrics.

I am not, by the way, a fan of today's music at all... but I can see why people will listen to and buy what they have heard on the radio...  I used to do the same thing, back when music on the radio was good...

Written By: Dave Brown on 03/28/05 at 12:54 am

Well, it's probably because most people don't just go out and buy a CD unless they have first heard some of the songs on the radio...  I know I don't go into a store and say "oh, this looks like a good band" without ever hearing their music...

And as far as pop being for people who don't really use their brains, I think what you meant was that pop doesn't REQUIRE you to use your brains when listening to it...  you could say the same about many Beatles songs... and I think it is kind of nice to listen to a song sometimes and just enjoy it without having to sit and ponder the meanings of "abstract" lyrics.

I am not, by the way, a fan of today's music at all... but I can see why people will listen to and buy what they have heard on the radio...  I used to do the same thing, back when music on the radio was good...

You leave the Beatles out of it ok? They had talent and they were not a manufactured pop band. They were rock.

Written By: ADH13 on 03/28/05 at 1:01 am

You leave the Beatles out of it ok? They had talent and they were not a manufactured pop band. They were rock.

I love the Beatles, Dave...  I think you misunderstood my point.

Written By: sputnikcorp on 03/28/05 at 7:37 am

"you can never go broke by appeasing to the lowest common denominator."

Written By: Bobby on 03/28/05 at 7:46 am

Sports have hurt people in the past, let's get rid of football, baseball, soccer... wait wait wait, Golf, oh god that Club could be used as a weapon let's get rid of that. Hey, Trees, trees have been used to hang people, let's cut em all down and burn them, Grass! GRASS! Grass make some people sneeze, that must tick them off, let's get rid of it all so they don't go nuts.
Hey, if i was gonna shoot somebody i'd need fingers to pull the trigger right, better cut them off, hell i better cut the whole arm off...

Tell you what, let's all go live in Biodomes, with no music, no films, no sports, no books, no nature, no expression and we'll all live much safer lives.

And about 6 months later we'll all find a way to kill ourselves ::)

Lol! Definitely an excercise in sarcasm here, Andy (albeit a funny one). It's very true. We can't protect everybody from other people's stupidity.

Written By: KRQPMV21JS on 03/28/05 at 3:26 pm

like your qoute...which is another way to get my point across "You can't spell 'Crap' without 'Rap'." - Anonymous

Written By: AL-B on 03/28/05 at 8:20 pm

im glad you say that...becuase guess what..I AM!...i am saving up for a synththeiser...and maybe thought up of getting gutar lessons...
Good for you! :)

I can tell you one thing...if you get a synthesizer you'll absolutely love it. My brother and I had a friend who once let us borrow his synthesizer while he was out of town for a couple of weeks, and it was way cool. I'd sit in the basement for hours at a time just messing around with it. Synthesizers are a blast! I want to get one someday myself.

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 03/31/05 at 6:47 pm

Today's music does suck in comparison to the music that was around in the 80s. However, we have to remember that there are a few good songs that have came out of the 00s - nobody can deny that...

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/31/05 at 7:08 pm

Today's music does suck in comparison to the music that was around in the 80s. However, we have to remember that there are a few good songs that have came out of the 00s - nobody can deny that...

Certainly.

Besides, I think the bad stuff can give an entire time period a bad impression. For instance, 1993-now could be seen as the "Gangsta Rap" years, so therefore, just because of hip hop's dominance, some people can lump in even the better music as being a part of the same era (even myself at times, but I'm learning more and more not to!).

Written By: ElDuderino on 03/31/05 at 7:27 pm

80s music sucked the big one compared to the 60s/70s, imho.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 03/31/05 at 10:11 pm

80s music sucked the big one compared to the 60s/70s, imho.

So true. But nothing can compete with music from the 50s-70s.

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 04/01/05 at 5:30 am

So true. But nothing can compete with music from the 50s-70s.

Who's not to say that the music which is gonna come from the 10s isn't gonna suck even more than the music out now? I certainly think it will...

Written By: KRQPMV21JS on 04/01/05 at 4:35 pm

Who's not to say that the music which is gonna come from the 10s isn't gonna suck even more than the music out now? I certainly think it will...

unless we can get rap stations to become retro stations and play The Beatles, Elvis, Michael Jackson, The Bee gees, and Duran Duran....who kniow maybe even the "Twister" man Chbby Checker...can be inlcuded...maybe all rap crap should become retro!...go 80's!

Written By: Apricot on 04/02/05 at 7:50 pm

Well, yeah. SOME 80s I like... but a lot of it sucks, but that's to me.

And you weren't saying "A lot of music sucks", you said "All of it" then clarified that you meant all of it. I respect your right to have a differing opinion {although I wish you would've just kept that to yourself, I'm sick of hearing it}, but what bothered me is your sweeping generalizing.

Written By: KRQPMV21JS on 04/04/05 at 4:25 pm

Well, yeah. SOME 80s I like... but a lot of it sucks, but that's to me.

And you weren't saying "A lot of music sucks", you said "All of it" then clarified that you meant all of it. I respect your right to have a differing opinion {although I wish you would've just kept that to yourself, I'm sick of hearing it}, but what bothered me is your sweeping generalizing.

well im just using my right to speech dude...no damage done...ok so i may say couple of things...but who's gonna do something aobut it...i am its just my way of doing things is speading the word out..thats all...do keep in mind my family is from a communist country...but i was born here...i was taught to speak up for yourself/stand up for yourself and do something aobut it...cause in America...i can and everyone on this soil can do something for a cause

Written By: Apricot on 04/04/05 at 6:09 pm

Sure, mang. And I'll excercise my own free speech rights too.. Just in the future, please be a bit more courteous with it.. a little more civil, polite. You know what you like, and I respect that. Keep it real.  :)

Isaac

Written By: chaka on 04/14/05 at 3:04 pm

Ooo. Ouch. Jet, FF, White Stripes, and Blink all attract my wrath for sucking so hard (that's just one man's opinion). Here are some of my more contemporary favs, and you tell me if you like.

Deadsy
The Faint
Queens of the Stone Age
Saves the Day (Stay What You Are album only)
Basement Jaxx
Gorillaz
CKY
The Rapture
Coldplay (both albums, but mostly the first one)

I neither can stand the white stripes or blink 182  ;)
You say you prefer the 1st coldplay album;well yeah I like it but I still think
A Rush Of Blood To The Head is better
And as for Queens of the stone age: have you heard their new song Little Sister?
It's pretty d*mn good :D
So we do have quite a bit in common there!!!

Check for new replies or respond here...