inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Best Decade for Music

Written By: Trimac20 on 02/13/05 at 8:55 pm

I know this must've been asked a million times, but I'll ask it anyway. What decade do you reckon had the music you like to listen to the most. Not the decade which bred the most influential groups, or saw the greatest creative explosion, but the best decade in terms of the aesthetic quality of the music.

Personally, I would have to pick the 70s followed by the 90s. The worst decade must've been either the 80s or the present day (althoughi we're barely halfway through it).

Subject: Re: Best Decade for Music

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/13/05 at 10:35 pm

My favorite decade for music is the 80's, the 90's comes pretty close.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/13/05 at 10:44 pm

I'd say the 80s and 90s tied.  The 90s music was a bit better but 80s had a bit cooler vibe.

Written By: McDonald on 02/14/05 at 1:25 pm

Favourite Decades in order from Most favourite:

80s
90s
late 70s alternative
60s

Worst time ever: Now.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/14/05 at 1:28 pm

late 60s
70s
80s
early 90s

Tanya

Written By: JohnTaylorsHeart on 02/14/05 at 3:31 pm

Always by far 80's music but I also like music from the 40's,50's,60's,70's,90's and some things from today.

Written By: pimpinsteelersfan on 02/14/05 at 3:36 pm

I'd have to go with the 80's but the 90's don't come too far behind.  Now just sucks.

Written By: sputnikcorp on 02/14/05 at 3:37 pm

50s to the 90s.

Written By: Trimac20 on 02/14/05 at 9:15 pm

Sheesh there must be a lot of long haired, leather-clad , synth-jamming, rubix-cubing  retro loving folks on this board... Not that there's anything wrong with any of those things. ;)

Written By: IWannaBeAGoonie on 02/15/05 at 10:35 am

Sheesh there must be a lot of long haired, leather-clad , synth-jamming, rubix-cubing  retro loving folks on this board... Not that there's anything wrong with any of those things. ;)

Well, guess I'm one of those.   ;)
80's are by far my favorite.  Though every now and then I'll hear something worthwhile in any decade.

Written By: snowguy716 on 02/15/05 at 10:56 pm

Speaking from what I actually listen to:

Current
70s
80s
90s

Now, in order of good music?

Current
70s (Come on, what music was bad in the 70s?)
90s
80s  (some was great, the rest sucked).. A keyboard and a singer don't make a band.. not for national consumption, anyway.

Written By: Punk Daddy on 02/16/05 at 5:00 am

I'd have to say musically, I like the 60s.

I can't jam to the beatles or even Ray Charles (who had hits in the 60s such as Hey Good Lookin')...but had I lived in that era...it would have been sweet. The music touched the soul and spoke about the time, the former of which the 80s didn't do.

But in order from what I like to what I don't like as much

60s
90s
70s (freakin songs were banged into my head as a kid. I remember my dad saying 'Doobie Brothers rock, son!')
80s (some real classics, but a ton of fluff drivel. I'm so sad I was cogent during this time period)
00s (I hate today's music except for a few artists. 00s will probably be seen as neo-80s)

Written By: jaytee on 02/16/05 at 6:49 am

Late 60's
1970s 

I like music in all the decades but the two periods above are my favourites :)

Written By: mandamoo on 02/16/05 at 6:50 am

Late 60's
1970s

I like music in all the decades but the two periods above are my favourites :)

Same here  :)

Written By: alana on 02/17/05 at 3:51 pm

I mostly listen to any synth-pop or new wave. I find that many bands from today are just trying to imitate that decade. I only listen to current albums from European groups from the 80s. I have Tears for Fears's new album, The Cure's new album and Duran Duran's new album copied to my media library. I occasionally go to http://www.amazon.de to listen to 30 second samples of Peter Schilling's successful album Zeitsprung (Time spring) that's probably only available in Germany.

Written By: Circus on 02/17/05 at 4:01 pm

I would have to say late 80s leaking into early 90s.  No one decade is entirely glorius.  If anyone says 00, have pity on their soul.

Written By: alana on 02/18/05 at 11:48 am

Ugh! I hate 2000's music! I'm betting that beacause Good Charlotte sings about the same topic alot, their asses don't know the difference between Child Abuse (Ask Roland Orzabal) and getting abuse FROM drug abuse (Ask Robert Smith of The Cure). Yes, I know they grew up with difficult childhoods along with having a strictly religious mother, but please, try writing a song about being abused in a home! SEE what that's like Joel and Benjii!

Written By: alana on 02/18/05 at 11:50 am

Sorry, I MEANT to write asses, not putting a M in front of it!

Written By: Abercrombie86 on 02/18/05 at 12:49 pm

Yeah, i'm gunna go with the 1980s.

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 04/17/05 at 6:02 am

The 80s had better music, but there are some pretty decent songs from the 90s and 00s as well, so basically I like all 3 decades. I dunno much from the 70s or earlier...i'm far too young!  ;D

Written By: Bobby on 04/17/05 at 6:40 am

I will always have a deep affinity with 80s music. However, I love 50s - 70s, doo wop, jazz and classical.  :)

Written By: Dagwood on 04/17/05 at 3:21 pm

I'm gonna have to say the 80's.

Written By: jersey_bwoy2078 on 04/17/05 at 3:48 pm

For me, my favourite decade was the 1970s, 1980s, and 1990s because there were so many varieties that opened up in that time. The late 1970s was a cool time because I love disco.  Not Village People or KC and the Sunshine Band disco (I hate commercial disco), but the type that never made it to radio or was dedicated to just clubs.  The late 1980s was a cool time for music too.  And the mid to late 1990s because music started to grow balls and meant something...for a time.  8)

Written By: Red Ant on 04/17/05 at 4:07 pm

Highly subjective , but I'll throw in my two virtual cents here. In order of best to worst:

90's ( many good choices in all years )
60's ( mostly from 64-69 )
80's ( several awful years in here but many good songs )
70's ( ONE WORD: DISCO ( and music from 74-79 basically was horrible ))
50's and before ( Big Band Era music was great atleast, others as well )
2000s+ ( Y2K didn't destory the world, crappy music did ).

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 04/17/05 at 5:19 pm

From Best to worst (60s and above as I'm not too familiar with anything before that):

The 70s (You had The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Queen, Pink Floyd, The Who, The Eagles, Deep Purple... best decade ever)
The 60s (This was the decade popular music and rock started to come about with The Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, The Stones...)
The 80s (Many good, unique tunes (with the exception of some bad ones) and an overall fun decade in music)
The 90s (Quite a dissapointment from the last few decades, but still some gems)
The 00s (Now, I'm not say the 2000s are really bad, but it almost seems creativity and talent have gone out of fashion in the last 5-10 years - in other words, the least popular bands/artists are more talented)

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 04/17/05 at 6:52 pm

The 70's
and the 90's

Written By: Kyle on 04/17/05 at 7:51 pm

70s (Come on, what music was bad in the 70s?)

::)
I disagree of what you said.  Even though some of the music from the "worst decade ever" was pretty good, most of it was a bunch of crap.  :D Disco was getting to be a little to overrated in 1978, and the one with the very high voice was to ear splitting.  One good thing that so-called "modern" '90s like music started in the early '70s, and that's about it.

Check for new replies or respond here...