inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 90s and 2000s

Written By: 1992thousand on 02/14/05 at 11:36 pm

Are you tired of someone coming up with a new thread to compare the 90s and 2000's even though we say basically the same things everytime, and even though you go ahead and post in the thread anyways?

Subject: Re: 90s and 2000s

Written By: thebutcheress on 02/15/05 at 7:29 am

GO 80's!!!!!!!!!

Written By: IWannaBeAGoonie on 02/15/05 at 10:33 am

Definitely 80's forever!  :D

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 02/15/05 at 4:51 pm

naw, new thread every week until Britney Spears is gone for good!!!

Written By: Indy Gent on 02/15/05 at 5:47 pm

I agree. When Britney and her followers are in the proverbial "H***" is when the 2000s officially ends.
naw, new thread every week until Britney Spears is gone for good!!!

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/15/05 at 5:49 pm

I'm not going to vote because I think it's important for people to realize that the 2000s, while crappy imo, are different and distinct from the last decade of the 20th century.  Hell, I'm going on a limb but some part of the 90s seem way more EIGHTIES than ZEROES.
And as for Britney Spears, well she's not 90s, she's 1999, and nobody takes her seriously as a music act anymore (at least I hope not  :o )

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/15/05 at 7:42 pm

I'm not going to vote because I think it's important for people to realize that the 2000s, while crappy imo, are different and distinct from the last decade of the 20th century.  Hell, I'm going on a limb but some part of the 90s seem way more EIGHTIES than ZEROES.
And as for Britney Spears, well she's not 90s, she's 1999, and nobody takes her seriously as a music act anymore (at least I hope not  :o )

I'd definitely say the early '90s were more '80s than '00s. Mid-late '90s I'd say more '00s than '80s.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/15/05 at 7:49 pm

I'd definitely say the early '90s were more '80s than '00s. Mid-late '90s I'd say more '00s than '80s.

Actually in my opinion the mid 90s was exactly half and half.  One the 00s hand the Internet was big (although not quite essential) by then.  Also when it comes to what you can show on TV the mid 90s was pretty much as bad as now.  Of course no part of the nineties had any product of the 9-11 attacks, although there was some shhh going on in Iraq (to America nothing compared to now). 

But on the 80s hand, Saturday Morning Cartoons, TGIF, Arcades, old school game consoles, and just much of the general 80s lifestyle was still alive and kicking.  Also dance music was very popular, although it was of a different sort than 80s.  And hip-hop was not yet a commercialized b*tch and sitcoms were still King, not Reality TV.

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 02/15/05 at 9:40 pm

I've told you this before.   Stop trying to convince us.  It's that kid born in 1997 or born in 2002 that you will have to convince.  That kid is the one that will give you hell about 2003, '04 still lookin' like the 90s.  Then you will be on our side and you will have to sit through 8 million posts about the same topic from some 14 year old kid who thinks he is growing up in the coolest time ever because most likely the FCC will show more sex and violence on TV in the year 2015 (only 10 years away kid, it will be here before you know it).  The FCC makes the world cool by what it allows on the airwaves.  That 14 year old kid will think that everything else that happened before was lame, weak, stupid.  He will not be the first 14 year old kid to think that way, and certainly won't be the last.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/15/05 at 10:03 pm

I've told you this before.  Stop trying to convince us.  It's that kid born in 1997 or born in 2002 that you will have to convince.  That kid is the one that will give you hell about 2003, '04 still lookin' like the 90s.  Then you will be on our side and you will have to sit through 8 million posts about the same topic from some 14 year old kid who thinks he is growing up in the coolest time ever because most likely the FCC will show more sex and violence on TV in the year 2015 (only 10 years away kid, it will be here before you know it).  The FCC makes the world cool by what it allows on the airwaves.  That 14 year old kid will think that everything else that happened before was lame, weak, stupid.  He will not be the first 14 year old kid to think that way, and certainly won't be the last.

Sorry :( I know this topic annoys you.

Written By: Punk Daddy on 02/16/05 at 5:13 am

Fullhouse...you should take what Chris posted not as an annoyance but as a reality.

I remember when I was 14 (1991)....you couldn't tell me anything about 70s classic rock, disco, or the original punk-rock era.

I was so into Mariah Carey, Whitney Houston, C&C Music Factory, Paula Abdul, and sad to say EMF.

Even now, I can't think of these as 'old school'...But when I see Paula Abdul looking closer to 50 than 20, I have to admit reality.

Written By: Trimac20 on 02/16/05 at 6:23 am

Its interesting to predict what kind of music we'll be listening to 10 years from now. Anyone got any predictions, theories?

Personally, I think there will a return to an 'old school' sound as a response to the increasing dominance of technology, etc. This can already be seen with minimalist vocal artists and 'old-fashioned' bands like Jet, although on the whole pop music is too overproduced. However, I think that computers and technology (not bad in themselves, but when they are basically making music) will become increasingly dominant. There will be generator/AI programs which will produce tunes (already a reality) indistinguishable from those made by people.

Written By: Dagwood on 02/16/05 at 7:19 am

80's Forever.

Check for new replies or respond here...