inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Enough of the 80s?

Written By: Apricot on 02/15/05 at 8:56 pm

I'm getting sick of it. I do the same crap and everyone gets pissy. I always tell people when they pull such things, but now I wanna know if anyone else is sick of it. If you don't like something, SHUT UP OR TALK TO SOMEONE WHO WANTS TO HEAR IT. You don't come to a 2000s culture board to promote the 80s, or put down the 2000s. Likewise, none of which should be done on the 80s board concerning the 2000s.

Subject: Re: Enough of the 80s?

Written By: sputnikcorp on 02/15/05 at 9:06 pm

i love the 80s but i find it annoying when someone says it's the best decade ever, especially for those weren't even born yet. it's like a religion or something.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/15/05 at 9:27 pm

I don't think it was the absolute best decade, although I wasn't around to be sure (I only even consider myself EXTANT for the last 2 or 3 months of 1989).  But I like a lot of stuff from it.  Yes though, those guys p*ss me off too when they do that.  It's insulting to MY peers, and to ME.

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/15/05 at 9:28 pm

2000s are ok, but the 90s were the best. But yea 80s stuff and other decades should probably stay on their respective boards.

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 02/15/05 at 9:36 pm

I'm getting sick of it. I do the same crap and everyone gets pissy. I always tell people when they pull such things, but now I wanna know if anyone else is sick of it. If you don't like something, SHUT UP OR TALK TO SOMEONE WHO WANTS TO HEAR IT. You don't come to a 2000s culture board to promote the 80s, or put down the 2000s. Likewise, none of which should be done on the 80s board concerning the 2000s.

So what?  When we were kids we had to listen to how great the 50s, 60s, and 70s were non stop from "the adults" of our time, i.e. the 80s and 90s.

So now you get to hear about how great the 80s are from us because now we're the evil grown ups.  In only 5 or 6 years you can tell kids how great the 90s are, and in 15-20 years you can tell some kids how great the 00s are and they will hate you for it.

This message board was originally devoted to the 1980s by fans of the 80s, especially for those who grew up back then.  The 1970s, 1990s, 2000s and "before the 70s" were all added in around the 80s part of the website.

Written By: Dagwood on 02/15/05 at 10:22 pm

I agree with Chris.  It is fun to be the evil grown up. ;)

Written By: snowguy716 on 02/15/05 at 10:52 pm

Leave the 80s where they belong... in the 80s! 

The top music of the 80s wasn't even really pointed at the teenage crowd.. it kind of centered on the baby boomers in the 70s and followed them into the 80s.  How many teens in the 80s actually listened to Kenny Loggins and Eric Clapton?

It's an interesting thing to study.  The people who grew up in the 80s are kind of the forgotten generation squeezed between the baby boom and the subsequent echo boom...

Written By: Powerslave on 02/15/05 at 11:56 pm

Chris is right. All I ever heard about when I was growing up was the 60s, and how great it was. Of course it was great, to someone who was 12 - 30 at the time! Same with the 80s. In 20 years, our kids are going to hear about how great the 00s were. But yeah, this is the 00s board. That's what it's for. Leave the 80s stuff to the 80s board.

Written By: Apricot on 02/16/05 at 6:28 am

The top music of the 80s wasn't even really pointed at the teenage crowd.. it kind of centered on the baby boomers in the 70s and followed them into the 80s.  How many teens in the 80s actually listened to Kenny Loggins and Eric Clapton?

It's an interesting thing to study.  The people who grew up in the 80s are kind of the forgotten generation squeezed between the baby boom and the subsequent echo boom...

Good points. A lot of you have them. But the evil adult thing just isn't something I can see myself doing.

Written By: bj26 on 02/16/05 at 6:53 am

So what?  When we were kids we had to listen to how great the 50s, 60s, and 70s were non stop from "the adults" of our time, i.e. the 80s and 90s.

So now you get to hear about how great the 80s are from us because now we're the evil grown ups.  In only 5 or 6 years you can tell kids how great the 90s are, and in 15-20 years you can tell some kids how great the 00s are and they will hate you for it.

This message board was originally devoted to the 1980s by fans of the 80s, especially for those who grew up back then.  The 1970s, 1990s, 2000s and "before the 70s" were all added in around the 80s part of the website.
This is an interesting observation, apparently once you hit a certain age, you begin to extol the virtues of your youth in whatever period you grew up in, like whe you had the most fun.  Possibly age 30 and up would be the cut-off age??

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/16/05 at 10:27 am

I like the 80's and all, but stuff that should an certain board, should be on a certain board.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/16/05 at 10:31 am

Even AS a child of the 80s, I think it should be kept on the 80s boards.  Just like the 90s stuff should be kept on the 90s boards, the 70s on the 70s, etc.  AFA this particular website goes, that is.  I don't mind the decade comparison threads being on either board of the 2 being compared (i.e. 80s-90s comparison being on either the 80s or 90s board), but topics strictly about a particular decade should be on that particular decade's board.  Just my opinion, though.

I agree.

Cat

Written By: whitewolf on 02/16/05 at 11:12 am

I was a teen in the 80s and I listened to bands from the 80s.

I too think each topic should stay where they belong, 70s stuff in the 70s board, 80s in the 80s etc...

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/16/05 at 11:38 am

Even AS a child of the 80s, I think it should be kept on the 80s boards.  Just like the 90s stuff should be kept on the 90s boards, the 70s on the 70s, etc.  AFA this particular website goes, that is.  I don't mind the decade comparison threads being on either board of the 2 being compared (i.e. 80s-90s comparison being on either the 80s or 90s board), but topics strictly about a particular decade should be on that particular decade's board.  Just my opinion, though.

That's true!

Tanya

Written By: ElDuderino on 02/16/05 at 8:54 pm

I say enough of them!  :P

Written By: Apricot on 02/16/05 at 8:56 pm

I say enough of them!  :P

AMEN, brudda!  ;D

Written By: pimpinsteelersfan on 02/17/05 at 3:30 pm

I just like 80s music.  But I don't think it is right to say that the 80s were the best or anything like that.  I agree that if you want to talk about how great the 80s were then take it to the 80s board.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 02/17/05 at 3:51 pm

I understand that this is a predominantly 80s orientated website (inthe80s.com started it all)... But saying the 80s (or any decade for that matter) were the absolute best, is alright, but making 10 new threads a week saying how much the present sucks more than <insert decade here> can get rather annoying.  :P

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/17/05 at 3:52 pm

I understand that this is a predominantly 80s orientated website (inthe80s.com started it all)... But saying the 80s (or any decade for that matter) were the absolute best, is alright, but making 10 new threads a week saying how much the present sucks more than <insert decade here> can get rather annoying. :P

Absolutely.  Whether it's the 1890s, 1980s, or 1990s, it get on me nerves.  :P

Written By: Jennifer028 on 02/22/05 at 5:53 pm

Nope, it dosent bother me...and it shouldnt bother you either

Written By: Bobby on 02/22/05 at 6:00 pm

Being an 80s fan, I obviously don't mind anyone shouting 'I love the 80s' but I can appreciate someone saying that in another decade section can be irritating because it's intruding on the other people's view of another decade.

However, if it does irritate you, ignore it, it doesn't happen that often.

Written By: Howard on 02/22/05 at 6:04 pm

I never get tired of the 80's. ;)

Howard

Written By: Guest on 02/22/05 at 8:09 pm

Forget the '80s, I would like to see more of the 90s in this thread, at least until Britney is gone!!

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/22/05 at 8:36 pm

Forget the '80s, I would like to see more of the 90s in this thread, at least until Britney is gone!!

Just me, but I don't see Britney as nineties.  I see her as 1999.  ;)

-FHF

Written By: shiprunner12 on 02/22/05 at 8:39 pm

I does get kind of old after a while hearing about the 80's on every thread no matter where you go. I don't see how it could have been any more interesting than the 90's or 00's.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/25/06 at 1:17 am

The 2000s suck, but yes I agree. You shouldn't go and post about how the '00s suck, at least to excess.

BTW Hi Cogs from 11 months ago!  ;D

Written By: Carl on 01/25/06 at 8:51 am

Okay, I admit it, I'm guilty too, I have posted stuff on here that for the most part has been a negative of the 00s ( music, TV, etc.) on the other hand, I have put a few things over though. I don't post on here as much, but I never really brought up any 80s stuff I think. Anyway, if you enjoy what is out now, more power to you, if you are having a blast in this decade, cool! Times change, but I'm a fan of nostalgia.

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 01/25/06 at 10:29 am

Yeah, I think that this whole 80's thing has become way overblown. Part of me can understand some of your fascination with that decade, since it took place before you were around, so I can see where it has some mystique for you (the same kind of mystique that the 50's and 60's have for me). But since I grew up in that decade, another part of me feels that things weren't really all that different back then as some of you may think, and if you could go back in time you'd probably find yourself to be quite underwhelmed. 
  What I do miss about the 80's has more to do with places that no longer exist rather than the mainstream culture, which I consider to be mostly disposable. ::)

Written By: Carl on 01/25/06 at 11:55 am

Those were my high school years actually, and I have to get used to the fact they're never coming back  :\'(

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/25/06 at 12:28 pm

Yeah, I think that this whole 80's thing has become way overblown. Part of me can understand some of your fascination with that decade, since it took place before you were around, so I can see where it has some mystique for you (the same kind of mystique that the 50's and 60's have for me). But since I grew up in that decade, another part of me feels that things weren't really all that different back then as some of you may think, and if you could go back in time you'd probably find yourself to be quite underwhelmed. 
   What I do miss about the 80's has more to do with places that no longer exist rather than the mainstream culture, which I consider to be mostly disposable. ::)

I agree with you.  The only huge differences besides pop culture in the '80s are the Internet (which is a HUGE difference, but not as different as say horse and buggy to car) and also the fact that people weren't as sensitive back then as they are now and to a lesser extent in the '90s.

I would say 9/11, but modern terrorism has been around since the '70s and they had the Cold War, which produced the same sort of fear/speculation that the "War on Terror" does now.

Written By: Carl on 01/25/06 at 1:34 pm

people weren't as sensitive back then as they are now and to a lesser extent in the '90s.

Ain't THAT the truth!

Written By: Watcher29 on 01/26/06 at 10:05 am

I am an 80s fan. But the 80s have their own area, just for them. We don't really need to annoy people who don't want to read it with how great we think they are. Not everybody liked the decade, and not everybody wants to remember it. So why don't we keep company with those that do and not bother those that don't?

Written By: bbigd04 on 01/26/06 at 1:27 pm

Who cares?

Check for new replies or respond here...