inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Which Is Worse: Current MTV or Current Disney Channel

Written By: woops on 02/19/05 at 5:40 pm

Since MTV went downhill since the mid 1990's, IMO and The Disney Channel became a mostly tween oriented network a few years ago, which network you can't stand the most.  :P

The Disney Channel maybe the blame for Lindsay Lohan, Raven Symone (I know she started off on a cheesy '80's sitcom), bad cartoons, etc.

But I have to chose MTV since it's a prime example of a once great network that's now nothing but a cesspool of awful shows that have nothing to do with music, "TRL", and mostly teen pop & the onslaught of current rap.

Subject: Re: Which Is Worse: Current MTV or Current Disney Channel

Written By: Jennifer028 on 02/22/05 at 5:50 pm

Current MTV is worse.  Disney channel is ok during the day, my son likes Wiggles, Mickey Mouse, etc...but atr night its kinda dumb.  There's nothing really good for him to watch in the late afternoon evenings...I hate Stanley, Ed, Ed and Eddy, Rugrats, Power Rangers..Cartoon Network is the worst.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/22/05 at 7:14 pm

MTV

Written By: rugrat on 09/27/05 at 6:36 pm

ummm mtv 1 or two? if soo 1 and why is it music telvision if they dont even play music all it is pimp my ride and stuff like that

Written By: woops on 09/28/05 at 4:58 am

Both MTV & MTV2 sucks  :P

The only thing good about MTV2, until they ad another new logo, was repeats of "Beavis & Butt-Head".

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 09/28/05 at 5:06 am

Our version of MTV (C4), although better that American MTV is pretty bad.

And I've only seen whats on Disney by what is displayed in the listings. So can't comment

Written By: Criz on 09/28/05 at 12:10 pm

I don't know what American MTV2 is like, but here in England it is the best music channel by far! Pretty much all music until say, 9ish at night? Oh, and honourable mention to VH2 also-apart from they play WAAAAY too much Guns and Roses!

Written By: Tanya1976 on 09/28/05 at 1:46 pm

MTV definitely. Disney is still okay. My son catches it every now and then.

Written By: kairi747 on 09/30/05 at 8:35 am

interesting choice of shows to compare and contrast!

i like the disney channel - but i have two tweens!  the channel grew up with them instead of them out-aging the channel.

mtv, on the other hand, like others have said, has very little to do with music.  vh1 is following the same path, but is not yet as trashy!

Written By: tv on 10/01/05 at 12:37 am

I don't watch the Disney Channel. MTV is horrible so MTV gets the vote. They don;t play any music video's. I don't get it I wouldn't like it if ESPN didn't play sports programming. I mean sometimes ESPN or ESPN 2 goes into meaning less non-sports stuff like poker and the national spelling bee or the Hot Dog Eating Contest but they are nowhere is bad as MTV. Still the Hot Dog Eating Contest and National Spelling Bee are once only a year. MTV hasn;t shown any music video's in 3-4 years hardly ever.

Written By: Dukefan on 10/02/05 at 9:41 pm

Disney has really went to hell since I watched it as a kid in the early 90s.  They use to have programming for everyone,  (Kids shows in the morning, teen shows in the afternoon,  family shows at night, and then the old Disney stuff from 12am - 7am) but now it seems that they only have shows for pre-teen girls.

I can't decide which former great network has slipped the most-  Disney Channel, Nickelodeon, or MTV...

Written By: Schillingfan on 10/02/05 at 10:08 pm

I watched the Disney Channel once or twice and I have no idea what to say about it, as for any of the MTV stations, I have never seen anything on it because I don't have that channel!

I only watch MuchMoreMusic for the retro music shows and anything else that's interesting, but I do want the MuchMoreRetro channel so that I can get away from having to hear any crap music on MuchMoreMusic and to see if they play the music video for "Major Tom (Coming Home)" because they barely play it on MMM!

Written By: annonymouse on 10/07/05 at 7:29 pm

yeah, mtv is pretty bad, but have you turned to disney latly. have you seen that stupid brandy and mr wisker

they used to have good shows like are u afraid of the dark, but now its all for 2 year olds
aaaaaarrrrrggggg

Written By: whistledog on 10/08/05 at 12:10 am

I don't get either channel, but from what I've heard, I think I'll vote for MTV

Written By: FireBrand79 on 10/08/05 at 4:14 am

I'm gonna say both of them.

Written By: Mushroom on 10/08/05 at 11:59 am

Where in the frack is the "Music" on "Music Television"????

I have the same problem with both VH1 and MTV.

It is fine to put in something else on occasion.  But when the programming became nothing but reality shows and the like, I turned them both off.  I can see that crap anywhere, but I have nowhere to go to anymore to watch music videos.

At least Disney is keeping with it's main goal, cartoons for kids.  Where is the music in the Tom Greene Show?  Or "Real Life" and "Surreal Life"?  Or do they think it is Music oriented, just because they have Hammer and Danny Boneduci on it?

Written By: Blackjack on 01/04/08 at 5:51 pm

Current MTV is worse.  Disney channel is ok during the day, my son likes Wiggles, Mickey Mouse, etc...but atr night its kinda dumb.  There's nothing really good for him to watch in the late afternoon evenings...I hate Stanley, Ed, Ed and Eddy, Rugrats, Power Rangers..Cartoon Network is the worst.

Cartoon Network was not that bad until about 2004, then it got really bad. Back then we had good stuff such as Looney Tunes and Tom & Jerry, and  I can stand the PPG... but now it's all that Japanmation stuff.  I can stand Class of 3000.

Written By: Blackjack on 01/04/08 at 5:53 pm

Both MTV & MTV2 sucks  :P

The only thing good about MTV2, until they ad another new logo, was repeats of "Beavis & Butt-Head".

MTV2 is better than MTV... all MTV shows is reality targeted for teenage and twenty something snooty girls that love Laguna Beach and tha freakin Hills... get a life preps and watch real preppy shows like the OC.

Written By: Blackjack on 01/04/08 at 5:54 pm

interesting choice of shows to compare and contrast!

i like the disney channel - but i have two tweens!  the channel grew up with them instead of them out-aging the channel.

mtv, on the other hand, like others have said, has very little to do with music.  vh1 is following the same path, but is not yet as trashy!

Disney is starting to turn into the N.

Written By: coqueta83 on 01/04/08 at 7:17 pm

I haven't watched either of these channels on a regular basis in years, but I pick MTV.

Written By: Monkey on 01/04/08 at 9:11 pm

I like current Disney Channel. Well I like Disney from 1998 to 2002.

Written By: nally on 01/04/08 at 10:52 pm

MTV, by far! 8-P What does the "M" really stand for these days? ::)

I like current Disney Channel. Well I like Disney from 1998 to 2002.

Me too. I've been watching it since late 2005, when "Suite Life" was in its first season.

Written By: Brian06 on 01/04/08 at 11:28 pm

MTV's high definition channel MHD is a lot better than the standard MTV, there's a lot of repeats but it is pretty much all music related (concerts, awards show, etc.).

Written By: Blackjack on 01/05/08 at 9:36 am

MTV, by far! 8-P What does the "M" really stand for these days? ::)
Me too. I've been watching it since late 2005, when "Suite Life" was in its first season.

MySpace TV I guess.

Written By: fusefan on 01/05/08 at 3:37 pm

Both!  YUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCKKKKK! 8-P

Written By: nally on 01/05/08 at 7:28 pm

MySpace TV I guess.

Think so?

I always thought the M stood for Moronic, or Messed-up...or, some other negative adjective starting with that letter. ::)

Written By: Dude111 on 03/08/18 at 3:19 pm

I picked MTV.... What a piece of garbage!!!!!!!!

Written By: Dundee on 03/08/18 at 3:25 pm

Rip Mtv's relevancy 80s-2000s

Written By: TwilightPrince16 on 03/08/18 at 11:44 pm

Disney Channel today is complete garbage, it is an insult to the '00s Disney Channel.

Written By: bchris02 on 03/08/18 at 11:51 pm

Disney Channel today is complete garbage, it is an insult to the '00s Disney Channel.

And a lot of people would say the '00s sucked compared to the '90s.

Written By: piecesof93 on 03/09/18 at 2:02 am

And a lot of people would say the '00s sucked compared to the '90s.

It progressively got worse.

Written By: Howard on 03/09/18 at 7:18 am

I picked MTV.... What a piece of garbage!!!!!!!!

MTV has gotten to be a piece of S H I T! ::)

Written By: mqg96 on 03/09/18 at 9:34 am

The last couple of years it's actually gotten better compared to the late 00's and early 10's IMO, but it's still a shell of it's former self. TBH most of Disney Channel's programming has always been a preteen/tween female type network dating back to when Lizzie McGuire first premiered, so most of that era was the same throughout the 00's. There was just more of a balance between animated shows and diverse sitcoms in the first half of the 00's compared to lack of animated shows and every sitcom being teenybopper music oriented in the 2nd half of the 00's. Disney Channel's programming today is like a mix of modern Toon Disney combined with more diverse sitcoms. Tangled: The Series and Raven's Home included.

Written By: TwilightPrince16 on 03/09/18 at 3:38 pm

The last couple of years it's actually gotten better compared to the late 00's and early 10's IMO, but it's still a shell of it's former self. TBH most of Disney Channel's programming has always been a preteen/tween female type network dating back to when Lizzie McGuire first premiered, so most of that era was the same throughout the 00's. There was just more of a balance between animated shows and diverse sitcoms in the first half of the 00's compared to lack of animated shows and every sitcom being teenybopper music oriented in the 2nd half of the 00's. Disney Channel's programming today is like a mix of modern Toon Disney combined with more diverse sitcoms. Tangled: The Series and Raven's Home included.

I completely agree with this. I actually don't watch kids shows anymore, but my sister (born in 2005) used to watch Disney Channel all the time and most of the shows were crap. The only 2010s Disney Channel shows I liked were Gravity Falls and Good Luck Charlie.

Written By: Dude111 on 03/09/18 at 3:46 pm

MTV has gotten to be a piece of S H I T! ::)

Indeed...Its a sin they are wasting so much bandwidth!!

Check for new replies or respond here...