inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Movie

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/20/05 at 11:39 pm

Sounds like a funny movie.  I've been dying to read the book.

Subject: Re: Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Movie

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/21/05 at 12:13 am

Sounds like a funny movie.  I've been dying to read the book.

I recommend that whole series.  Douglas Adams is great, a bit juvenile at times but always fun.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/21/05 at 12:13 pm

Check out the mini series that aired on the BBC, whenever you get the chance. It's funny!  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/21/05 at 12:16 pm

I started reading the book about a year ago or so but never finished it. I am going to have to give it another go.

Cat

Written By: sputnikcorp on 02/21/05 at 12:20 pm

amazon.com had a sneak preview of the movie trailer to HHGTTG (they took it down since :(). it looks awesome and i can't wait.

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 02/21/05 at 5:03 pm

Check out the mini series that aired on the BBC, whenever you get the chance. It's funny!  ;D

I love that entire series!!!    Sadly, I don't think the movie coming out will quite measure up  :-\\

Written By: karen on 02/24/05 at 9:50 am

have a look at http://hitchhikers.movies.go.com/main.html for a trailer

Written By: karen on 03/01/05 at 6:37 am

There's another v funny trailer here which reveals Steven Fry as the book

http://www.ugo.com/channels/filmtv/features/hitchhikersguide/exclusive.asp#

Written By: Chica on 03/01/05 at 10:12 am

This was the stupidest movie i have ever seen, It should be illegal for children to watch because iit would give them nightmares, and a brain tumor or somthing

It almost did me, I survived because my little bro came in and changed the channel. LOL :D

Written By: karen on 03/01/05 at 10:27 am

Which movie are you talking about Chica?  because the one we are talking about hasn't been released yet.  It's been a long awaited 'next step' for many Douglas Adams fans hence the discussion.

Written By: whitewolf on 03/01/05 at 10:32 am

I think she was talking about the tv show

Written By: Tanya1976 on 03/01/05 at 10:50 am

Funny show. I'm not sure of the movie, though.

Tanya

Written By: Kryllith on 03/01/05 at 11:17 am

I've not seen the tv show, but I've all the books in a nice collection. I actually picked up Salmon of Doubt (which is a collection of essays, speeches, and a piecing together of the last Dirk Gently book he was working on before he died) yesterday while waiting hours to catch a plane in LAX. Now I'm going to have to go and buy the rest of the Dirk Gently books since the seem both interesting and funny, much like Hitchhiker.

As for the movie, it on my must-see list. Adams ranked the tv show as his least favorite of the previous 3 incarnations (tv, radio, and book). He did help out quite a bit with the movie before he died, so hopefully it should rock.

Kryllith

Written By: karen on 03/01/05 at 11:20 am

The Dirk Gently books are good and I would have liked to see another in the collection.  Slightly different take on life from the Hitchhiker's stuff but still funny.  A minor problem might be one or two British in jokes.  I've half a memory of the Salmon of Doubt mentioning the Norse God Thor.  That's from the second book.

Written By: Alchoholica on 05/13/05 at 3:12 pm

Saw the movie the other night.

I was pleasently suprised.

I was thinking it might not be that good, but it was changed enough to be pretty good.

I'd give it a 7 out of 10.

Humerous as long as your childish... well.. that's a given really.  ;D

Written By: Mushroom on 05/13/05 at 3:23 pm

Saw the movie the other night.

I'd give it a 7 out of 10.

Humerous as long as your childish... well.. that's a given really.  ;D

Actually, I give the movie either a 9 or a 2, depending on how much you like Monty Python or other forms of Brittish humor.

If you enjoy it, the movie is excellent.  Very tongue in cheek, with a combination of very subtle, and "in your face" humor.

However, if you do not like MP, you will probably hate this movie.

As far as nightmares, I am still trying to get the image of the "Doll" Arthur Dent vomiting yarn!

Written By: Alchoholica on 05/13/05 at 3:43 pm

Actually, I give the movie either a 9 or a 2, depending on how much you like Monty Python or other forms of Brittish humor.

If you enjoy it, the movie is excellent.  Very tongue in cheek, with a combination of very subtle, and "in your face" humor.

However, if you do not like MP, you will probably hate this movie.

As far as nightmares, I am still trying to get the image of the "Doll" Arthur Dent vomiting yarn!

LOL.. i loved the doll vomit.

Your right.. of course.. You have to appreciate the kind of tounge in cheek little bits that creep up.

I don't know if having read the book is a help of hinderance.

Written By: Mushroom on 05/13/05 at 4:17 pm

LOL.. i loved the doll vomit.

Your right.. of course.. You have to appreciate the kind of tounge in cheek little bits that creep up.

I don't know if having read the book is a help of hinderance.

Well, there is still a LOT of ground left to cover in this franchise, and thankfully the sequal has already been tenatively announced.

And this is yet another movie where you want to stay and watch the credits, since there is yet another reading from "The Guide" in it.

Of course, I hope that the sequal had "Disaster Area" in it.  ;)

Entry from "The Guide":

Disaster Area
Disaster Area, a plutonium rock band from the Gagrakacka Mind Zones, are generally held to be not only the loudest rock band in the Galaxy, but in fact the loudest noise of any kind at all. Regular concert goers judge that the best sound balance is usually to be heard from within large concrete bunkers some thirty-seven miles from the stage, while the musicians themselves play their instruments by remote control from within a heavily insulated spaceship which stays in orbit around the planet - or more frequently around a completely different planet.

Their songs are on the whole very simple and mostly follow the familiar theme of boy-being meets girl-being under a silvery moon which then explodes for no adequately explored reason.

Many worlds have now banned their act altogether, sometimes for artistic reasons, but most commonly because the band's public address system contravenes local strategic arms limitations treaties.

This has not, however, stopped their earnings from pushing back the boundaries of pure hypermathematics, and their chief research accountant has recently been appointed Professor of Neomathematics at the University of Maximegalon, in recognition of both his General and his Special Theories of Disaster Area Tax returns, in which he proves that the whole fabric of the space-time continuum is not merely curved, it is in fact totally bent.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/13/05 at 10:38 pm

heh

my parents went to the drive-in to see it...they both took an hour or so nap because they said that it was a waste of film

Erin

Check for new replies or respond here...