inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Constantine

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/21/05 at 1:13 am

Anyone here seen it yet?  I though it was pretty good, have to watch it again though.  The only thing I don't like is Shia LaBeouf from "Even Stevens" saying "B*tch".  Pretty pathetic to have to "declare" adulthood like that the way Hilary Duff, the Olsen Twins, Macaulay Culkin, and so many others have.  ::)

Subject: Re: Constantine

Written By: Stompgal on 02/21/05 at 6:29 am

I've heard of that film and Gavin Rossdale is in it. He plays Balthazar.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/21/05 at 12:22 pm

Saw the movie yesterday, it was pretty cool! Favorite scene, Keanu's charecter gives Satan the middle finger, before almost being pulled into Heaven, it was funny!  ;D

Written By: McDonald on 02/21/05 at 2:16 pm

I detest movies that make their entire plot stand on the leg of Catholic dogma. Keanu plays a character who fights demons and admonishes a girl for not believing in the devil... and his name: Constantine (as in Constantine the Great, first Christian emperor of Rome, the one most responsible for the conversion of Europe). It just seems like they use these movies to scare people back into religion. Of course, that only my agnostic, pagan, secularist impressions.

Written By: sputnikcorp on 02/21/05 at 2:20 pm

the movie was based off of a comic book in the same vein as spawn or hellboy. using an angel was a twist.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/21/05 at 5:52 pm

the movie was based off of a comic book in the same vein as spawn or hellboy. using an angel was a twist.

Also check out The Prophecy, starring Christopher Walken and Viggo Morttenson and Warlock, starring Julian Sands.

They both have pretty much the same idea as Constantine.

Written By: sputnikcorp on 02/21/05 at 6:09 pm

if anything these movies use only the trappings of the catholic church and the bible and adds there own mythos. i doubt anyone would be swayed to become catholic if they saw constantine.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/21/05 at 6:53 pm

if anything these movies use only the trappings of the catholic church and the bible and adds there own mythos. i doubt anyone would be swayed to become catholic if they saw constantine.

The main charecter in the film at times, questions his job of vanqushing demons, and spends alot times smoking and drinking. I am with Sputnik on this one, it uses the trapping of the church and bible for story sake, just like The Exorcist, Dogma, and The Omen.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/21/05 at 9:07 pm

Agreed, Sputnik :)  Of anything I think it's anti-Catholic.  But yes, hell is a scare tactic to do good in my opinion.  People should always do good, but sometimes the belief many harbor in Hell makes me think they only do it to save their own a*ses.

-FHF  ;)

Written By: McDonald on 02/22/05 at 12:02 am

The main charecter in the film at times, questions his job of vanqushing demons, and spends alot times smoking and drinking. I am with Sputnik on this one, it uses the trapping of the church and bible for story sake, just like The Exorcist, Dogma, and The Omen.

I reliase this, but with all these other films in mind... isn't it a bit trite? Seems like there should be more substance than the old rehashed Catholic mythos. BTW, I love Warlock and Warlock: The Armageddon, and Dogma, and the Exorcist (the FIRST one) because these movies rested on more than just the same old rehashed Catholic dogma. Perhaps Constantine will do the same, I admit I haven't seen it, but I can't say that I expect much... given the level of quality out of Hollywood lately. Sure it all looks good, but where is the authenticity in 90% of today's films?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/22/05 at 12:13 am

I reliase this, but with all these other films in mind... isn't it a bit trite? Seems like there should be more substance than the old rehashed Catholic mythos. BTW, I love Warlock and Warlock: The Armageddon, and Dogma, and the Exorcist (the FIRST one) because these movies rested on more than just the same old rehashed Catholic dogma. Perhaps Constantine will do the same, I admit I haven't seen it, but I can't say that I expect much... given the level of quality out of Hollywood lately. Sure it all looks good, but where is the authenticity in 90% of today's films?

Why no authenticy? One word.... cash.  ::)

Written By: McDonald on 02/22/05 at 1:23 pm

Why no authenticy? One word.... cash.  ::)

You got that right! Problem is, everyone buys it.

Written By: Circus on 02/23/05 at 10:24 pm

Ditto

I havent seen this yet, and I also doubt this is an attempt to sway people back to the church. The use of religion provides the whole good vs. evil thing in a more familiar context to most I guess

Check for new replies or respond here...