inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Anyone here go running?

Written By: maddog on 02/21/05 at 12:31 pm

I've recently restarted running and it does wonders for my feeling of general well being and positive mental attitude.
Must be those endorphins and the feeling of all the money I'm saving having cancelled my gym membership last year (hardly ever went and when I did I mainly ran on a running machine anyway!).

I've also got to get fit because over Christmas, in a drunken moment, my brother-in-law talked me into doing the Three Peaks Challenge this summer for charity.
This involves climbing all 3 of the highest mountains in the UK in a 24 hour period.
I am totally out of shape for this challenge but at least it gives me something to target!

Subject: Re: Anyone here go running?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/21/05 at 1:20 pm

I run to the bathroom on occasions.

Cat

Written By: RockandRollFan on 02/21/05 at 1:38 pm

I've recently restarted running and it does wonders for my feeling of general well being and positive mental attitude.
Must be those endorphins and the feeling of all the money I'm saving having cancelled my gym membership last year (hardly ever went and when I did I mainly ran on a running machine anyway!).

I've also got to get fit because over Christmas, in a drunken moment, my brother-in-law talked me into doing the Three Peaks Challenge this summer for charity.
This involves climbing all 3 of the highest mountains in the UK in a 24 hour period.
I am totally out of shape for this challenge but at least it gives me something to target!
I LOVE to run...but haven't done enough as of late...except for today. I dropped of the car at my friends work and ran the 5 miles home...and I'm still alive!

Written By: Paul on 02/21/05 at 3:14 pm

I can put on unheard-of bursts of speed when catching the homeward-bound bus and train...

Other than that, I can just about run a bath...!

Seriously, Graham & Mark - you have my utmost admiration...the last serious bit of real running I did was the school cross-country which nearly finished me off...

Which is why I joined the school band not long after...!

Graham, keep us posted with the challenge...

Written By: ktelqueen on 02/21/05 at 3:17 pm

counting the days till the sidewalks/roads are clear enough again (love to run..especially to blaring disco..guessing that that comes as no surprise  :D)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 02/21/05 at 3:26 pm

I can put on unheard-of bursts of speed when catching the homeward-bound bus and train...

Other than that, I can just about run a bath...!

Seriously, Graham & Mark - you have my utmost admiration...the last serious bit of real running I did was the school cross-country which nearly finished me off...

Which is why I joined the school band not long after...!

Graham, keep us posted with the challenge...
;D Thanks Paul...for making me smile and the kind comments :) I doubt that I'm in Graham's league but one thing we share is the passion for running!
For all to know, my idol, growing up was Steve Prefontaine. If you get the chance to watch a movie called "Without Limits" I'm sure you'd all enjoy it. There was another movie made about his life that same year called "Prefontaine" but Disney was involved and it's not nearly as good as Limits.

Just a little info:

A man who was favored to win the 5,000 Meter run at the 1976 Montreal Olympics. A man who owned every American running record from 2,000 Meters to 10,000 Meters and 2 Miles to 6 Miles at the time of his tragic death in 1975.
Here's a link to a great site as well ;)

http://www.stevepre.com/  and    www.gopre.com

R.I.P. Steve
  :\'(

Written By: RockandRollFan on 02/21/05 at 3:52 pm

counting the days till the sidewalks/roads are clear enough again (love to run..especially to blaring disco..guessing that that comes as no surprise  :D)
I hope you can run again real soon, Maria ;)

Written By: Howard on 02/21/05 at 7:23 pm

I used to go running but just don't have the energy anymore. ;D

Howard

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/21/05 at 10:41 pm

Only from the women and the po-lice!
;)

Written By: AL-B on 02/22/05 at 2:19 am

One night, several years back I was visiting a friend in Chicago, and we'd both had quite a few beers, and we thought it would be a great idea to hit a White Castle after the bars closed. Needless to say, we were both doing a lot of "running" the next day! :D

Written By: jaytee on 02/22/05 at 5:41 am

I used to be a cross country runner many moons ago.  I know what you mean about the gym - I was in a great routine last year but this year it's been harder and harder to get there so instead of feeling fit I'm just feeling guilty about the money being wasted. :P  I'm going to do some power walking and try and build up to running again.  My knees are a bit knackered from netball so I'll have to start easy.  My husband and three of our kids have been running at night so I'll even have some running pals.

Keep us up to date on your progress. :)

Written By: Howard on 02/22/05 at 5:25 pm

I run to the bathroom on occasions.

Cat

you and me both Cat. ;D

Howard

Written By: Howard on 02/22/05 at 5:29 pm

I used to run but now I don't have much energy like I used to in the 80's. ;D

Howard

Written By: shiprunner12 on 02/22/05 at 9:04 pm

I love to run. I'm on my high school's cross country team as well as the track team. It's really the only sport I'm ok at. (Broke the school's freshmen XC record this year)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/22/05 at 9:27 pm

I am a walker, not a runner.  ::)  ;D

Written By: RockandRollFan on 02/22/05 at 10:24 pm

I love to run. I'm on my high school's cross country team as well as the track team. It's really the only sport I'm ok at. (Broke the school's freshmen XC record this year)
That's awesome that you set that, shiprunner12 :) I'm jealous ;) When I was in the Air Force at basic training, I set a record with a 4:18 mile run....long time ago (1979)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 02/23/05 at 10:51 am

THIS is Steve Prefontaines last race...he died about 6 hours later :\'( Notice how much he dominated the other runners!

Written By: shiprunner12 on 02/23/05 at 12:58 pm

That's awesome that you set that, shiprunner12 :) I'm jealous ;) When I was in the Air Force at basic training, I set a record with a 4:18 mile run....long time ago (1979)

Wow, that's an extremely good time. :o My best time for a mile is a 5:25. I hoping I'll be able to get below a 5 minute mile this track season.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 02/23/05 at 1:23 pm

Wow, that's an extremely good time. :o My best time for a mile is a 5:25. I hoping I'll be able to get below a 5 minute mile this track season.
I wish you only success, shiprunner12 ;)

Written By: shiprunner12 on 02/23/05 at 1:27 pm

I wish you only success, shiprunner12 ;)

Thank you.  :)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 02/23/05 at 1:29 pm

Thank you.  :)
You're Welcome! Hey, do you like Steve Prerfontaine?

Written By: maddog on 02/23/05 at 5:01 pm

Wow, 4:18 for the mile is just a fantastic achievement Mark, even if it was a long time ago.
I've never come close to that and I don't think at my age now that I ever will!
Shiprunner, keep it up also, I admire anyone who can sustain athletic achievement at whatever level.

Written By: Howard on 02/23/05 at 5:08 pm

I used to run track around and around but these days,I would RUN out of breath. ;D

Howard

Written By: Howard on 02/23/05 at 5:10 pm

I am a walker, not a runner.  ::)  ;D

I do that now on occasions.

Howard

Written By: RockandRollFan on 02/23/05 at 5:15 pm

Wow, 4:18 for the mile is just a fantastic achievement Mark, even if it was a long time ago.
I've never come close to that and I don't think at my age now that I ever will!
Shiprunner, keep it up also, I admire anyone who can sustain athletic achievement at whatever level.

Thanks, maddog...I had the misfortune of breaking my ankle twice in the following year but worked hard and managed a 4:37 in 1982...ah youth....I really miss it. Just being able to run a few miles now is nice. Since I'm SO into stats I rarely run with music and never glance at the clock when I leave. I did try some music this morning but realized the next time I ran that I'd probably compare times and be discouraged if I didn't run as fast as today. For being woefully out of shape I think 1.2 miles in just under 7 minutes will be the last time I ever time myself as it will most definately get worse with time :D

Written By: karen on 02/24/05 at 5:42 am

I like to go orienteering and generally go about once a month now.  We used to do loads before the children were born and averaged two events a week.  At that time I used to do a bit of running but got out of shape when I was expecting my first child and never really got back into training.  I was never particularly fast and didn't really enjoy it either.

I intend to start cycling to work when the weather warms up a bit and start getting back in to shape.

Graham, when do you intend to do the 3 Peaks?  did you know about the Welsh 1,000 meters race in May?  That would be good training for your team.  Let me know if you want some more info on it.  I know the organisers.

Written By: maddog on 02/24/05 at 6:40 am

...did you know about the Welsh 1,000 meters race in May? 

Hi karen - how was DisneyWorld btw?

I think I have heard of this race - is it the one where you have to scale all the peaks in Snowdonia that are >1000m in a single day?
I think there are 7 of them in fairly close proximity but there's an awful lot of ascent and descent to get them all.

Please do send me the details / URL link / whatever in a PM, I'll have a look at it. The rest of my team for the 3 Peaks are based in Cambridge
as that's where my brother-in-law lives and works. So it might be difficult to get them all together for the Welsh challenge.

Written By: karen on 02/24/05 at 7:18 am

Hi karen - how was DisneyWorld btw?

good time mad by all, thanks.

I think I have heard of this race - is it the one where you have to scale all the peaks in Snowdonia that are >1000m in a single day?
I think there are 7 of them in fairly close proximity but there's an awful lot of ascent and descent to get them all.

That's the one.  I've helped marshal it before and we are toying with whether to go up and help this year.  I'll check the exact details at home tonight and then PM you.

Written By: jiminy on 02/24/05 at 11:04 am

I'm a Special Olympics long distant runner and I have won every race I've ever been in

Written By: shiprunner12 on 02/24/05 at 11:34 am

You're Welcome! Hey, do you like Steve Prerfontaine?

Actually, I don't really read about other runners and I'm sorry to say I've never heard of him.

Written By: shiprunner12 on 02/24/05 at 11:35 am

I'm a Special Olympics long distant runner and I have won every race I've ever been in

Congratulations, that's quite an accomplishment to never have lost.

Written By: Alchoholica on 02/24/05 at 11:43 am

I enjoy running.. but don't make it a habit.

I guess i run maybe 7-8 miles a week. AT THE MOST!

God knows how slow i am, but i did win the Year 9 (8th grade to all you Yanks) 400 Meters.. god knows how because i wasn't as fit then as i am now.
Used to be a real LA-Z-BOY!

What i like to do is get off the bus one or two stops before the one i need to get off at and run the rest of the way, dosen't sound like much but it is usually half a mile, and when you do this 2-3-4 times a day, 4-5 times a week it soon builds up.

I really enjoy running Mountains, but wouldn't have the stamina to do like 3 Huge ones in a day. I did a lot of running in Wales, I ran up the Garn which is fairly high, also enjoy running in Bradgate park and usually finish with a sprint up.. what can be described as a big hill called 'Old John'.

Ever since i messed up my knee though Running just isn't all that easy.

Recently due to the pain in my knee (which has greatly decreased thanks to three shots in it) i haven't really been able to run at all, although somewhat like Paul, i did chase the bus for about 3 stops today  ;D

Written By: karen on 02/24/05 at 11:47 am

I really enjoy running Mountains, but wouldn't have the stamina to do like 3 Huge ones in a day. I did a lot of running in Wales, I ran up the Garn which is fairly high, also enjoy running in Bradgate park and usually finish with a sprint up.. what can be described as a big hill called 'Old John'.

That's what the monument is called.  I don't think the hill has a special name.

Written By: Alchoholica on 02/24/05 at 11:48 am

That's what the monument is called.  I don't think the hill has a special name.

Oh OK.. well.. a friend owns a cottage about 2 miles from it..

Tis a good hill.. dunno if it is over 1000 or not.. probably.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 02/24/05 at 1:55 pm

I enjoy running.. but don't make it a habit.

I guess i run maybe 7-8 miles a week. AT THE MOST!

God knows how slow i am, but i did win the Year 9 (8th grade to all you Yanks) 400 Meters.. god knows how because i wasn't as fit then as i am now.
Used to be a real LA-Z-BOY!

What i like to do is get off the bus one or two stops before the one i need to get off at and run the rest of the way, dosen't sound like much but it is usually half a mile, and when you do this 2-3-4 times a day, 4-5 times a week it soon builds up.

Ever since i messed up my knee though Running just isn't all that easy.

Recently due to the pain in my knee (which has greatly decreased thanks to three shots in it) i haven't really been able to run at all, although somewhat like Paul, i did chase the bus for about 3 stops today  ;D
If your knee bothers you, you could always walk or ride a bike...I've done that when my legs hurt and instead of running all the time I try to mix it up a bit, but I am so addicted to running that it's impossible to give it up ;)

Written By: Alchoholica on 02/24/05 at 2:12 pm

If your knee bothers you, you could always walk or ride a bike...I've done that when my legs hurt and instead of running all the time I try to mix it up a bit, but I am so addicted to running that it's impossible to give it up ;)

I do ride my bike a lot.. most days. I often ride to work and back. I also enjoy riding on the weekend, but really just during the spring and summer when the weather is nice. Usually clock up a few 15-20 mile bike rides during the summer.

Written By: pimpinsteelersfan on 02/24/05 at 2:16 pm

Shut up man.  You don't have to brag just because you are fast. :D

Written By: Howard on 02/24/05 at 2:55 pm

Back then,I used to run miles but now I can hardly do so cause I get tired easily. ;D

Howard

Written By: jiminy on 02/24/05 at 11:17 pm

Back then,I used to run miles but now I can hardly do so cause I get tired easily. ;D

Howard
run Forest run ;D

Written By: Howard on 02/25/05 at 10:30 am

run Forest run ;D

sorry just don't have the energy like I used to 10 years ago. ;D

Howard

Written By: RockandRollFan on 02/25/05 at 10:39 am

sorry just don't have the energy like I used to 10 years ago. ;D

Howard
It's not about that, Howard. I'm just trying to maintain what I have...you can build energy back up, unfortunately years cannot be rewound :-\\

Written By: Howard on 02/25/05 at 10:41 am

It's not about that, Howard. I'm just trying to maintain what I have...you can build energy back up, unfortunately years cannot be rewound :-\\

I have cellulite thighs and that's where all the fat has been stored for a few years. I'm pretty skinny though for my age. ;D

Howard

Written By: RockandRollFan on 02/25/05 at 10:43 am

I have cellulite thighs and that's where all the fat has been stored for a few years. I'm pretty skinny though for my age. ;D

Howard
;D If you ever decide to, I'd join a gym work out....that can go away if you want it gone bad enough ;)

Written By: Howard on 02/25/05 at 10:45 am

;D If you ever decide to, I'd join a gym work out....that can go away if you want it gone bad enough ;)

nah,too much money.I'm not in a rush right now.But thanks anyway Mark. ;)

Howard

Written By: RockandRollFan on 02/25/05 at 10:58 am

nah,too much money.I'm not in a rush right now.But thanks anyway Mark. ;)

Howard
You don't really need a gym to work out though, Howard. I do everyday now, you'd be amazed at how much better I feel ;)

Written By: Howard on 02/25/05 at 11:02 am

You don't really need a gym to work out though, Howard. I do everyday now, you'd be amazed at how much better I feel ;)

I already feel better physically,mentally and emotionally.But,I do take brisk walks during the spring & summer. :)

Howard

Written By: RockandRollFan on 02/25/05 at 11:04 am

I already feel better physically,mentally and emotionally.But,I do take brisk walks during the spring & summer. :)

Howard
;)

Check for new replies or respond here...