inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Does Deborah Gibson deserve a comeback?

Written By: woops on 02/22/05 at 4:09 pm

What do you think of the song "Naked"?

I know most might reply that it's part of Gibson's desperate attempt of a comeback along with the recent spread.

Though the spread was classy & done in good taste.  ;)  :-*

But honestly, the song's worth listening to.  :)

Do you think she deserves a comeback?

Some examples:

1989, Donny Osmond (Though I can't stand him  :P) made a comeback with "Soldier Of Love"

In the mid 1990's, New Edition had a successful reunion.

2002, Kylie Minogue (Though she's HUGE outside of the US) returned to the United States with a fewmore  hits.

IMO, she really does deserve a comeback.  :)

Oh, she also tried a comeback in 2001 with "M.Y.O.B.", but flopped. Though it had good songs like "Your Secret", "What You Want". "The One", and "Down That Road".  She also released other albums like "Deborah" & "Memory Lane Vol. 1"

More info: http://www.discomuseum.com/DebbieGibson.html

Subject: Re: Does Deborah Gibson deserves a comeback?

Written By: woops on 03/02/05 at 5:15 pm

>BUMP<

I don't mind negative comments

Due to lack of radio airplay, I doubt she'll make a comeback, unfortunately.

But she's still a multi-talented entertainer. :)

Subject: Re: Does Deborah Gibson deserve a comeback?

Written By: 90s boy on 03/02/05 at 5:24 pm

why not she keep herself busy in the 90's with the plays she did i just hope she dosent end up like tiffany :\'(

Written By: RockandRollFan on 03/02/05 at 5:48 pm

She sure does ;)

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/02/05 at 5:49 pm

I'll say yes.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 03/02/05 at 5:57 pm

I'm not sure. Didn't she try one when she formally used "Deborah" instead of "Debbie" and it didn't do well?

If her sound changed drastically, of course she can try again. Just as long as she doesn't sound the same as before. But, I don't think posing in Playboy will help it. She should go with more better options.

Tanya

Written By: Webstor on 03/02/05 at 5:57 pm

Holy Hand Grenade!!!

With THAT spread in PB......
she deserves A LOT of things....

Written By: Howard on 03/02/05 at 6:17 pm

I think she deserves it.

Howard

Written By: Davester on 03/02/05 at 6:21 pm

Don't know if she deserves one, but now would be the time to do it...what with the 80's retro craze of the past few years, it may just work...

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/02/05 at 6:52 pm

HECK YEAH.

I'd party with her...  :P

Written By: Howard on 03/02/05 at 6:53 pm

HECK YEAH.

I'd party with her...  :P

you'd party with anybody ;D

Howard

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/02/05 at 6:58 pm

you'd party with anybody ;D

Howard

You got that right, Howard.  As long as they are of the female persuasion!  ;D

LB

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/02/05 at 8:35 pm

Yes.
:)

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 03/02/05 at 11:44 pm

Yes :) Especially in this sea of crappy boy band pop Mainstream rap music.  :P

-DevoRule

Written By: Dave Brown on 03/03/05 at 10:21 am

What do you think of the song "Naked"?

I know most might reply that it's part of Gibson's desperate attempt of a comeback along with the recent spread.

Though the spread was classy & done in good taste.  ;)  :-*

But honestly, the song's worth listening to.  :)

Do you think she deserves a comeback?

Some examples:

1989, Donny Osmond (Though I can't stand him  :P) made a comeback with "Soldier Of Love"

In the mid 1990's, New Edition had a successful reunion.

2002, Kylie Minogue (Though she's HUGE outside of the US) returned to the United States with a fewmore  hits.

IMO, she really does deserve a comeback.  :)

Oh, she also tried a comeback in 2001 with "M.Y.O.B.", but flopped. Though it had good songs like "Your Secret", "What You Want". "The One", and "Down That Road".  She also released other albums like "Deborah" & "Memory Lane Vol. 1"

More info: http://www.discomuseum.com/DebbieGibson.html

Is her new single "Naked" a cover of the Louise track from 1996?

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/03/05 at 1:23 pm

Is her new single "Naked" a cover of the Louise track from 1996?

Isn't "Naked" supposed to be uncovered?

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/03/05 at 1:23 pm

Who cares

Written By: RockandRollFan on 03/03/05 at 1:25 pm

rap music.  :P

That is what is called an oxymoron ;)

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 03/03/05 at 1:26 pm

That is what is called an oxymoron ;)

;D  ;D

Seriously, the MTV stuff yes. But underground rap and some old school is good.  8)

Written By: Howard on 03/03/05 at 3:31 pm

Isn't "Naked" supposed to be uncovered?

have you viewed her pictorial from Playboy,Phil?

Howard

Written By: Jennifer028 on 03/04/05 at 10:53 am

I'd say yes  :)

Written By: AL-B on 03/04/05 at 11:35 am

I don't see why she wouldn't deserve a comeback. If she has the talent to pull it off, then by all means she deserves a shot. 

Subject: Woops is back!!!

Written By: woops on 03/13/05 at 10:41 pm

She never liked the name "Debbie".

If you read the liner notes and stuff on the lyric sheets it have Written by: Deborah Gibson   instead  :)

Sadly, I can't find her single "Naked" anywhere. But I'm still looking.  ;)  :)

And I have most of her albums from "Out of the Blue" to her recent "Memory Lane Vol. 1".

Subject: Re: Woops is back!!!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 03/13/05 at 10:59 pm

She never liked the name "Debbie".

If you read the liner notes and stuff on the lyric sheets it have Written by: Deborah Gibson   instead  :)

Sadly, I can't find her single "Naked" anywhere. But I'm still looking.  ;)  :)

And I have most of her albums from "Out of the Blue" to her recent "Memory Lane Vol. 1".
Welcome back!

Written By: ADH13 on 03/13/05 at 11:05 pm

I think anyone who has the talent deserves a comeback... but unfortunately even some of the most well liked groups usually fail at comebacks...

The Monkees made a comeback in the 80's with "That Was Then, This Is Now" and although it got some radio time, nothing really came of it..

The Beach Boys made two attempts, first by teaming up with the Fat Boys for "Wipe Out" and then a few years later tried as a solo with "Kokomo".  Kokomo was popular for a short time, but I think the Beach Boys do better touring and playing their old music...

Written By: ElDuderino on 03/13/05 at 11:53 pm

I like the song Kokomo, I think its a perfect progression in style from their original music..

Anyway, never heard of Gibson.

Written By: ElDuderino on 03/13/05 at 11:54 pm

And I can name one person who DEFINITELY made a big comeback, infact hes maybe more popular now with my generation(and considering our generally horrible taste in music it amazes me) than he was originally:

Carlos Santana. 8)

Written By: ElDuderino on 03/13/05 at 11:55 pm

Also, lol, Aerosmith has some a couple of 'comebacks', although, they hadn't been out of the scene for a LONG time with any of them. Pink Floyd made sort of a comeback(which only lasted one album then they retired) with The Division Bell, and Rolling Stones have periodically had a few hits here and there in the 80s, 90s, and 00s.

Written By: Robbo on 03/14/05 at 2:33 am

I voted No!
Simply because I don't like her new music, I never liked her music. She doesn't cut it as an artist. You've gotta do more than pose nude for a magazine if you want to make a successful comeback as a musician. Where did artistry go? MJ and Prince are about the only artists that is still making artistic music to this day. Prince with his latest musicology LP< and Michael with his new album which has been delayed due to the case. Since the trial started however, believe you me, he has bene the most creative I have ever seen him, so watch out! Michael Jackson is gonna make the real come back. I dunno why people are on about Debbie Gibson.She nothing compared to 'Secution', 'The Pain', 'Pressure', 'Escape' and all the other new music Michael has made since the allegations were made in 2003.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 03/14/05 at 3:28 pm

I voted No!
Simply because I don't like her new music, I never liked her music. She doesn't cut it as an artist. You've gotta do more than pose nude for a magazine if you want to make a successful comeback as a musician. Where did artistry go? MJ and Prince are about the only artists that is still making artistic music to this day. Prince with his latest musicology LP< and Michael with his new album which has been delayed due to the case. Since the trial started however, believe you me, he has bene the most creative I have ever seen him, so watch out! Michael Jackson is gonna make the real come back. I dunno why people are on about Debbie Gibson.She nothing compared to 'Secution', 'The Pain', 'Pressure', 'Escape' and all the other new music Michael has made since the allegations were made in 2003.
Deborah has done MUCH more than just pose naked in a magazine! She was very young when she had her first stuff out there...which she wrote herself, she's a wonderful actress AND she can dance great...PLUS she's never been accused of molestation or had her face replaced, dangled an infant over a railing, treated other artists like crap, gotten on a high horse thinking she was better than the rest of the world, had little girls overnight alone in her bedroom...Hell, if anything she doesn't NEED to comeback because to me, she never left ;) To you she may not "Cut it" as an artist but too me Flit boy never could "Cut it" as a HUMAN Being :P

Written By: Robbo on 03/15/05 at 2:38 am

A few lines from "The Pain", written in 2005 by Michael Jackson...

"Your lies sprung from your jealousy, coz half of me you'll never be!"

"Can you blame me for being different if you consider what the norm is?

"If to be normal you half to cheat and lie, destroy people's lives, then I admit that I'm a freak."

Think about it.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 03/15/05 at 9:28 pm

Don't forget the numerous musicals she's done on Broadway...gee, we agree on something ;) :)
We agree on more than you think, Kim :)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 03/16/05 at 9:18 am

As long as it's not politics ;D
Hey! I'm not too happy with GW right now either ::)

Written By: Woops (Electric Youth) on 04/05/05 at 11:09 pm

I bought her single "Naked" a few weeks ago, after a 4 week long search around the city,  and I liked it.  :D

A few weeks ago, I got her single "Naked" and liked it.  8)

IMO, the best music isn't played on MTV, VH1, Top 40, etc.

A few weeks ago, I saw a video from a former Spice Girl on VH1... what have the world gotten to if a notalent can have a comeback when a multi-talented and attractive  artist doesn't.  :P

Written By: george78 on 04/06/05 at 8:48 am

A few lines from "The Pain", written in 2005 by Michael Jackson...

"Your lies sprung from your jealousy, coz half of me you'll never be!"

"Can you blame me for being different if you consider what the norm is?

"If to be normal you half to cheat and lie, destroy people's lives, then I admit that I'm a freak."

Think about it.

Not so much, I don't like music from child molesters.

Gibson deserves a comeback, but I think the Playboy stint was a cheap attempt. Didn't she learn from Tiffany, Belinda Carlisle???? It's unfortunate that these talented ladies have to go so far as to take their clothes off to snag a bit of attention. I guess that's how the business works, they use you for all you got and then spit you out when they're done with you.  :(

Written By: Felly Nurtado on 07/14/06 at 2:52 am

Deborah Gibson definately need a comeback since 99% of the music on the radio today is nothing but bull...

Currently she did a duet with Jordan Knight,  which will debut on radio on Monday, July 17. The song "Say Goodbye" is on Jordan's new CD "Love Songs", which will be out on September 12th.

I know it'll be popular in A/C stations...

She has more emotion than Norah Jones and more talented than all these manufactured pop acts...

Check for new replies or respond here...