inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: BLT Killer Nabbed in Kansas

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/26/05 at 12:28 pm

I just saw on TV that the authorities nabbed the BLT Killer in Kansas.  Guy had been on the lam since 1974.

Turns out he was some sort of park ranger or something.  TV showed some footage where he was intereviewed by a local TV station on something else a few years ago.

The press conference where they announced the arrest looked more like the Oscars ceremony than a press conference.  All they needed was a red carpet and Joan Rivers and would have been complete.  ::)

Subject: Re: BLT Killer Nabbed in Kansas

Written By: jiminy on 02/26/05 at 12:31 pm

the Bacon, Lettuce & Tomato killer?  ;D

Written By: RockandRollFan on 02/26/05 at 1:03 pm

the Bacon, Lettuce & Tomato killer?  ;D
;D

Yeah AL-B, care to elaborate at little ;)

Written By: AL-B on 02/26/05 at 2:35 pm

;D

I didn't kill no bacon!!!

Actually he called himself the "BTK" killer. (BTK=Bind, Torture, Kill.) I just read about this myself. Apparently he had killed 7 people in the Wichita area between 1974-86 and then wasn't heard from again until last year when he started sending letters to the police. It sounds like he craved the media attention. It's scary knowing that there's creeps like this out there like.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 02/26/05 at 2:54 pm

I didn't kill no bacon!!!
;D

Actually he called himself the "BTK" killer. (BTK=Bind, Torture, Kill.) I just read about this myself. Apparently he had killed 7 people in the Wichita area between 1974-86 and then wasn't heard from again until last year when he started sending letters to the police. It sounds like he craved the media attention. It's scary knowing that there's creeps like this out there like.
Thanks, that clears things up a bit ;) And yes, it is scary :-\\

Written By: jiminy on 02/26/05 at 3:19 pm

he's been featured a few times on America's Most Wanted
http://www.amw.com/

Written By: AL-B on 02/26/05 at 10:19 pm

I just read up a little more on this--it turns out that Dennis Rader, the man arrested in connection with the BTK slayings, was a municipal code enforcer for the city government. He was married with two grown children, active in his church, and--get this--a Cub Scout leader. Apparently his own daughter began feeling suspicious that he could be BTK, and she supplied the police with her DNA. Through hereditary matching (which is something I didn't know they could do) they matched her DNA with samples found at the crimes, and used this as evidence to arrest Rader.  Not to make light of this but it's almost funny: Usually when the authorities finally catch a serial killer their neighbors almost always describe them as being "quiet" and "really nice guys." Not Rader. From the reports I've read, his neighbors thought he was a real pr!ck.
    There is no chance that Rader could get the death penalty. Although there is no statue of limitations for murder in Kansas, the death penalty wasn't reinstated in that state until 1994, and the last of his known murders took place in 1991. Because of this, he would have had to commit a murder after 1994 in order for the death penalty to apply. So unless they find him responsible for a later unsolved homicide, the most he can get is life in prison.
      (Not to pick on you LyricBoy,  but I do think it's funny that you referred to him as the "BLT Killer." I myself have killed a few BLT's in my day, and I never thought it was something I should go to jail over.  ;))
;D

Wichita really isn't my home turf, so I'd never even heard of the BTK murders myself until the national media began reporting about it last year after he decided to resume correspondence with the Wichita police and local media after being silent for almost 15 years.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/26/05 at 10:25 pm

Glad he's caught.

Written By: Indy Gent on 02/26/05 at 10:32 pm

Better late than never.

And forget about legal injection. This psycho needs to fry painfully. >:(

There is no chance that Rader could get the death penalty. Although there is no statue of limitations for murder in Kansas, the death penalty wasn't reinstated in that state until 1994, and the last of his known murders took place in 1991. Because of this, he would have had to commit a murder after 1994 in order for the death penalty to apply. So unless they find him responsible for a later unsolved homicide, the most he can get is life in prison.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 02/26/05 at 11:49 pm

I heard that.  What a crock.  Thank Kansas for legalizing the death penalty 20 years after most states (most states legalized the death penalty when the US Supreme Court upheld the death penalty in 1973 or 1974.)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/27/05 at 2:59 am

Yes!

Tanya

Written By: AL-B on 02/27/05 at 3:30 am

I heard that.  What a crock.  Thank Kansas for legalizing the death penalty 20 years after most states (most states legalized the death penalty when the US Supreme Court upheld the death penalty in 1973 or 1974.)
You know, this is just pure speculation on my part, but by the accounts I've heard he was an extremelly intelligent man (and I don't mean to give him credit) and he has a degree that somehow pertains to the legal profession (I'm not for sure if it's in criminal justice or law). I can't help but wonder if he deliberately held off killing after Kansas reinstated the death penalty, knowing that he couldn't be executed for his crimes.  The only appropriate sentence for him now would be to give him life in solitary confiinement and allow him no outside contact except for his immediate family. They should not allow the media to have any access to him whatsoever so that he can't get the attention he so desperately craves.  Just be thankful they finally have this sick freak off the streets.
    Good night, Wichita. Sleep well.

Written By: zcrito on 02/27/05 at 4:56 pm

I'm glad they finally got the BTK killer. I still remember where I was when I heard they had captured "The Unabomber" Ted Kaczynski back in April, 1996. Even though I didn't know anyone he murdered I just remember a slight feeling of happiness when I heard that that he was caught. And if I remember correctly I think Kaczynski was pretty "active" right up until his capture.

So it's two down and two to go. Now all that's is left to capture is...

the Zodiac killer and our old "friend" Osama bin Laden.

>:(

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/27/05 at 5:41 pm

Unfortunately, there's still some psychos out here that probally haven't been caught.  >:(

Written By: Dagwood on 02/27/05 at 5:51 pm

Did they explain why his daughter became suspicious of him?

Written By: GWBush2004 on 02/27/05 at 11:22 pm

I can't help but wonder if he deliberately held off killing after Kansas reinstated the death penalty, knowing that he couldn't be executed for his crimes. 

Maybe not.....:

Source: BTK Suspect Confesses to Killings

WICHITA, Kan. (AP) - The man suspected in a string of 10 slayings that terrorized Wichita residents for more than three decades has confessed to at least six of those killings, according to a source with direct knowledge of the investigation.

Investigators now suspect Dennis L. Rader may have been responsible for as many 13 slayings - including at least one that occurred after the death penalty was enacted in Kansas, a source with direct knowledge of the investigation told The Associated Press on Sunday on condition of anonymity.

Rader was being held on a $10 million bond in the deaths of 10 people between 1974 and 1991. Police had long linked the BTK serial killer to eight murders, but added two more after Rader's arrest.

Now police suspect the BTK killer in the deaths of two Wichita State University students, as well as a woman who lived down the street from another known BTK victim.

Link: http://apnews.myway.com/article/20050228/D88H83I02.html

Written By: AL-B on 02/28/05 at 2:24 am

Maybe not.....:

Investigators now suspect Dennis L. Rader may have been responsible for as many 13 slayings - including at least one that occurred after the death penalty was enacted in Kansas, a source with direct knowledge of the investigation told The Associated Press on Sunday on condition of anonymity.
As I said earlier, that was just pure speculation on my part, and the news that he may have kept killing after 1994 doesn't surprise me. I'm not familiar with Wichita or its crime rate, but I'll bet that before it's all said and done they will find him responsible for even more unsolved homicides in the area. I just hope his justice is swift and severe.

Written By: bj26 on 02/28/05 at 6:50 am

Don't want to sound like a nay sayer, but this dude's sentencing won't be so cut and dry. An in- depth investigation will need to be conducted to determine motives, who the people murdered were, circumstances of the murders, psyche of the killer/murderer - nothing's impossible. If a defence is creative enough,  BLK could possibly walk.

Written By: bj26 on 02/28/05 at 9:08 am

Don't want to sound like a nay sayer, but this dude's sentencing won't be so cut and dry. An in- depth investigation will need to be conducted to determine motives, who the people murdered were, circumstances of the murders, psyche of the killer/murderer - nothing's impossible. If a defence is creative enough,  BLK could possibly walk.
On the other hand, the right prosecutor can break down a crafty defense.  All the pretty boy attorneys and smartys won't help win a case, they are good with the law, procedure, etc. It's a dimentional thinker type who can bust this guy or get him a lighter sentence (kind of like Monk or Kemelman's rabbi detective) - i.e. someone who can see into the soul, and the criminal mind. Once you achieve that, the good technicians/lawyers can do their thing to make their case, interpret law and procedure. 

Written By: GWBush2004 on 02/28/05 at 9:39 pm

Don't want to sound like a nay sayer, but this dude's sentencing won't be so cut and dry.

It's not huh?  A confession of guilt, DNA evidence, and eyewitness testimony of the man's insane behavior....he's going to jail or death row.  He is pleading guilty.

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/01/05 at 6:23 am

the Zodiac killer and our old "friend" Osama bin Laden.

>:(

I don;t think they've ever captured Chinese master spy Wo Fat either.  ;)

Written By: bj26 on 03/01/05 at 7:17 am

It's not huh?  A confession of guilt, DNA evidence, and eyewitness testimony of the man's insane behavior....he's going to jail or death row.  He is pleading guilty.
I can't argue procedure or guilty pleas or the like, I don't have the aptitude. I'm interested in what makes people tick, their stories, good or bad, it's kind of what I do in my work. Anyway, I think the point of this case is to provide BLT with the best defense possible, every i dotted, t crossed, then if he is given the death penalty, it will be more difficult for him to appeal it later - that's what I believe he wants to do.  Then he can further laugh at our system, he's trying to make himself appear so guilty that he begs for the death penalty. He can then change his mind and file an appeal that will last for years, but if procedure is done properly, I think he can be denied an appeal - anyway, I think this is what's happening with this guy.

Written By: AL-B on 03/01/05 at 9:56 am

Anyway, I think the point of this case is to provide BLT with the best defense possible
It's BTK, not BLT. (Damn, LyricBoy, you've got everybody screwed up here! ;D ;D ;D)

Written By: Dradnats on 03/04/05 at 1:52 pm

Did they explain why his daughter became suspicious of him?

Is BKT the guy who had his balls ripped off by a pissed-off chimpanzee in Cali?

Written By: AL-B on 03/04/05 at 2:20 pm

I just read something really freaky about the BTK case. During the 1970's and early 80's, when the majority of his killings took place, Dennis Rader worked for ADT Security Systems as a home security alarm installer. Not only did he know the exact layouts of his victims' homes, but he very likely also knew how to circumvent the alarm systems. That's scary.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 03/04/05 at 10:19 pm

Better late than never.

Yes!  :) 

Lethal injection sounds good to me, frying him would only answer our vengeance cries.  Either way I wish they'd put him to death, but at least he won't be killing anyone else. 

Written By: GWBush2004 on 03/05/05 at 6:49 am

Yes!  :) 

Lethal injection sounds good to me, frying him would only answer our vengeance cries.  Either way I wish they'd put him to death, but at least he won't be killing anyone else. 

Fry him!

Written By: Bauble on 03/05/05 at 8:03 am

I just read something really freaky about the BTK case. During the 1970's and early 80's, when the majority of his killings took place, Dennis Rader worked for ADT Security Systems as a home security alarm installer. Not only did he know the exact layouts of his victims' homes, but he very likely also knew how to circumvent the alarm systems. That's scary.

Sounds a lot like the movie Panic Room with Jodie Foster, where Forrest Whittaker knew all the alarm systems in the house

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/05/05 at 2:53 pm

Fry him!

Yes he should be fried.

But I hope they use only pure Canola oil.  That way he won;t be harmed by any unwanted trans fats.  ;D

Written By: ElDuderino on 03/05/05 at 3:00 pm

Better late than never.

Why? To make you feel better? The justice system isn't about emotions and revenge. Keep "an eye for an eye" in your church.

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/05/05 at 3:16 pm

The justice system isn't about emotions and revenge.

Who told you that? ???

There is a popular misconception that the justice system eschews the concepts of punishment or retribution.  If that were truly the case we would not have prisons as we know them today.

The justice system is simply a way for "the people" to attempt to mete out justice/punishment/etc.

Written By: ElDuderino on 03/05/05 at 3:24 pm

The justice system is about keeping society safe and keeping harmony, and also to rehabilitate and prevent further crime. The justice system is NOT meant to just dole out retribution.

You have NO CLUE. Prisons aren't about "punishing" the prisoners, they are about rehabilitating, and in the case that isn't possible, keeping them away from society to prevent further harm.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 03/05/05 at 3:39 pm

Who told you that? ???

There is a popular misconception that the justice system eschews the concepts of punishment or retribution.  If that were truly the case we would not have prisons as we know them today.

The justice system is simply a way for "the people" to attempt to mete out justice/punishment/etc.

Dude put it well.  Yes it is about "punishment", but not about "retribution".  It's about what Dude said, not about making people happy by ripping the flesh of the guilty. 

Do YOU get pleasure from seeing perps get bodily harm inflicted on them JUST to make you feel better about yourself? 

Check for new replies or respond here...