inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Razzie Winners Are In!

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/27/05 at 9:00 am

Razzies call Berry, Bush best of worst

By DAVID GERMAIN

Halle Berry stars as Patience Philips, a graphic artist who is murdered and brought back to life as Catwoman, in Warner Bros. Pictures' action adventure "Catwoman." (AP/Warner Bros. Pictures)
LOS ANGELES (AP) - Halle Berry won an Academy Award. Now she's won a Razzie. George Bush and Arnold Schwarzenegger won elections. Now they've won Razzies. Berry was picked Saturday as worst actress for 2004's action bomb Catwoman, which also took the prize for worst film at the 25th annual Razzies, an Oscar spoof that trashes Hollywood's lowpoints.

Bush won the worst-actor award for his appearance in news and archival footage of Michael Moore's satiric documentary Fahrenheit 9/11. Defence Secretary Donald Rumsfeld was voted worst supporting-actor for Fahrenheit 9/11, while Britney Spears' fleeting cameo in the documentary brought her the worst supporting-actress Razzie.

Razzies founder John Wilson said the prizes were not meant to mock Moore's film, only the statements Bush and the others make while "putting their highly paid, highly skilled feet in their mouths repeatedly and sucking on them."

Schwarzenegger, who gave up Hollywood to become California governor, was chosen worst Razzie loser of the first 25 years, a special prize given to actors who had received the most nominations without ever winning a Razzie. His latest loss also came Saturday, to Rumsfeld in the supporting category, in which Schwarzenegger was nominated for Around the World in 80 Days.

Chosen by about 675 voters around the world, Razzies also were awarded for worst films of the group's first 25 years: Drama, Battlefield Earth; comedy, Gigli; and musical, From Justin to Kelly.

Other 2004 Razzies went to Scooby-Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed for worst sequel and Catwoman for worst director (Pitof) and screenplay. 

Wilson relishes savaging perpetual winners such as Sylvester Stallone and Madonna. In the case of Berry, an Oscar winner three years ago for Monster's Ball, Wilson felt sympathy, saying Catwoman was simply the result of a misguided career move.

"It's kind of like the old Disneyland commercial. Halle Berry, you just won an Oscar. What are you going to do now? I'm going to play . . . Catwoman?" Wilson said.

"Don't get us wrong. She's a very talented actress, a very beautiful woman, who just made a mistake. We're not trashing Halle Berry as a human being. We're only saying, we're so sorry you chose to do this."

On the Net

razzies.com/asp/directory/XcDirectory.asp

Subject: Re: The Razzie Winners Are In!

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/27/05 at 9:41 am

I haven't seen Catwoman yet, and I am wondering if the film is as bad as they say it is.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/27/05 at 2:04 pm

I haven't seen Catwoman yet, and I am wondering if the film is as bad as they say it is.

What? You haven't seen me yet? My pic is on the thread in the PPP.  ;)

Cat

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/27/05 at 2:27 pm

What? You haven't seen me yet? My pic is on the thread in the PPP.  ;)

Cat

No silly....  ::) The movie.

Check for new replies or respond here...