inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: And the Oscar goes to...

Written By: Ansky1213 on 02/27/05 at 10:56 pm

This can bve a discussion thread for the Oscars. Post your thoughts.

I, for one, was very happy to see Clint Eastwood get his due this year. I had a feeling that Scorcese was going to win. I love Scorcese, but I'd rather see him win for something he truly deserved than because the academy feels sorry for him.

I also thought that Chris Rock was great. Very funny, not afraid to take some potshots, even at himself (I liked the dig at Jude Law, who really has been in every third film released since "Gataca". Also, Rock wasn't afraid to make fun of himself (allthough, I am one of the 21 people on earth who liked "Pootie Tang")

That's all I have the energy to post for now; I'm really tired. I'll give some more of my thoughts tomorrow. It's up to you to fill the thread up.

BTW...Happy 100th post to me!

Subject: Re: And the Oscar goes to...

Written By: Tam on 02/27/05 at 11:48 pm

I agree.
Chris Rock saying "If you want Denzel but you can only get ME.... Wait!"
Personally - they could have gotten someone other than Beyonce to sing numerous songs!

Written By: Indy Gent on 02/27/05 at 11:57 pm

Why did they announce the Best Actress catagory earlier (8:05) than the Supporting acting roles? If they're going to do that, why don't they just announce all the acting catagories early, add more catagories like Best Overall Cast (maybe because too many Toms, Dicks, and Marys would come up to accept), and announce all the rinky-dinky awards until Best Picture?

Written By: Ansky1213 on 02/28/05 at 6:59 am

Why did they announce the Best Actress catagory earlier (8:05) than the Supporting acting roles? If they're going to do that, why don't they just announce all the acting catagories early, add more catagories like Best Overall Cast (maybe because too many Toms, Dicks, and Marys would come up to accept), and announce all the rinky-dinky awards until Best Picture?

I've always thought that there should be a "Best Ensemble Cast" award personally, but I guess that it is not to be.

Written By: jaytee on 02/28/05 at 7:09 am

Yay - Cate Blanchett won an Oscar  :)

Written By: Dagwood on 02/28/05 at 7:24 am

I thought they had announced the supporting acting awards earlier, Indy?  Maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention...I really wasn't paying too close of attention.

I love that Jamie Foxx won for Ray.  It was a great speech, I cried, too.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/28/05 at 10:04 am

Boy.... they sure used Beyonce alot!  ::)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/28/05 at 11:00 am

I enjoyed it. Thankfully, Chris rock breathed some new air into the show. The vibe was definitely younger and hipper. I'm happy for Jamie, Morgan, and Clint!

Tanya

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/28/05 at 11:08 am

I have to admit, I only watched about the last 30 minutes of it, but the end was great...

Dag, I cried during Jamie Foxx's speech too ;)

I wanna know why they tried to cut Hillary off but not Jamie ???  SEXISM!!! ;D ;D

Because Hillary was rambling. Actually, her speech was longer than Jamie's. Jamie's was short and sweet.

Tanya

Written By: Leo Jay on 02/28/05 at 11:20 am

Chris Rock was ok, he can be a brilliant comedian when he's in his element, but I didn't like him for the Oscars.  Insiders like Billy Crystal, Whoopi or Steve Martin can get away with certain digs, but from an outsider, stuff like the Jude Law bit just comes off as mean-spirited and nasty.  I was surprised by Cate Blanchett's win.  Not sure what was up with Beyonce all over the place, though her voice is better than I'd ever thought it was.  Prince looked AMAZING for his age.  Though, again, what the hell was HE doing presenting?

Written By: Ansky1213 on 02/28/05 at 5:14 pm

I was stunned, but pleased to see Prince. I'm glad that he's coming back into the public eye.

I think, and I'm not alone, that last night Beyonce crossed the line into over-exposure. Thoughts?

Written By: redhead007 on 02/28/05 at 5:49 pm

I have to agree with the last poster, that Beyonce was used probably a little bit too much in the Oscars last night. I especially thought the first song she sang, which was the nominated song from the French film The Chorus was absolutely abominable. As someone who has a great affinity for the French language and has been studying it for almost eight years, I couldn't stand hearing her sing that song. She hit the notes correctly but her prononciation was very poor (ok, I know she might not have had the right amount of time to learn and pronounce the lyrics correctly) and she could have been singing in Swedish for all the sense she made.

And her jewelry while singing that Phantom of the Opera song later on that evening. WOW! She'd've gone straight to the bottom of the ocean with that necklace on!  ;D Good grief, girl!

I did enjoy Chris Rock. At first I thought it was a bit on the odd side that he would be picked as the host of the Oscars (mostly because I have heard his comic routines and, well, let's just say they aren't really family-friendly  ;)) but I must say that I enjoyed him. A VERY funny guy.

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/28/05 at 6:01 pm

Hillary... I'd party with her.  :P

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 02/28/05 at 9:37 pm

They didn't.  They announced Best Supporting Actress (Cate Blanchett got it) earlier in the show.  Hillary Swank got her oscar towards the end. 
I was glad Cate got the oscar but I swear, The Aviator kept winning where they shouldn't have- it was just f*cked up.  I mean, come one, why the Aviator over Leminy Snicket or Troy in costume design?  I predicted (correctly) that they would give Best Picture to someone else and that's how they were making up for it.  Thank God they didn't give it to DiCaprio.  I would have liked to have seen Johnny Depp get the Oscar but I know Jamie Foxx deserved it more.
And omg I was getting so sick of Beyonce.  Seriously she doesn't know a thing about diction.  Plus her with Josh Groban, it just don't mix.

Check for new replies or respond here...