inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: To All J.R.R. Tolkien Fans - Let's Dicuss The Silmarillion!

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/28/05 at 4:11 pm

I think this was released in the 70s but its timeless so I'll post it here in the 2000s. 

I think it is Tolkien's best work save the Trilogy.  Some people don't like how it's written but if you give it time it's really entertaining.  My favorite part is the story of Feanor and the flight of the High Elves.

Great book I highly suggest.

-FHF  ;)

Subject: Re: To All J.R.R. Tolkien Fans - Let's Dicuss The Silmarillion!

Written By: sputnikcorp on 02/28/05 at 4:44 pm

i never read it. i read all of his other works, even father giles of ham but not the simarillion.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/28/05 at 4:55 pm

Gosh darn it, I have only the Lord of The Rings trilogy novels, and not The Hobbit or The Silmarillion.  :-[

Written By: Ansky1213 on 02/28/05 at 5:11 pm

I tried to get into it, but I found it pretty boring. Maybe I'll try again someday.

Written By: Zella on 02/28/05 at 8:29 pm

I bought my copy at a Book Fair at the Benedictine Monastery in Valyermo. All the books for sale were supposed to have a religious theme. Go figure... ::)

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/28/05 at 9:11 pm

I bought my copy at a Book Fair at the Benedictine Monastery in Valyermo. All the books for sale were supposed to have a religious theme. Go figure... ::)

Actually Tolkien was a devout Catholic, and his books seem to have religious undertones, despite his self-proclaimed hatred of allegory.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/28/05 at 9:12 pm

No, I should read that sometime.

J.R.R. Tolkein gained so much currency in the '70s, one wonders was it not also the '70s in Middle Earth?
:D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/28/05 at 9:14 pm

Actually Tolkien was a devout Catholic, and his books seem to have religious undertones, despite his self-proclaimed hatred of allegory.

I like to think of the Ring as a symbol for the nuclear arms race.  I think that one has been roundly debunked, but it's just too elegant to resist!

Written By: Webstor on 02/28/05 at 11:25 pm

The Silmarillion is good......but I still like the trilogy better.

Silmarillion reads more like a History Book, which in essence, it is.

I took a whole course in college called "The religious depths of Tolkien's Lord of the Rings"
In the immortal words of Comic Book Guy....."Best Class Ever"

There are many, many religious themes in those books.....some are just more hidden than others.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 03/02/05 at 1:13 pm

I like to think of the Ring as a symbol for the nuclear arms race.  I think that one has been roundly debunked, but it's just too elegant to resist!

Interesting idea.  As much as Tolkien openly hated allegory, I still think there is some in his books.  Although he always said the books were made as a home for his Elvish languages.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/02/05 at 5:38 pm

Bought The Fellowship of The Rings myself, got The Return of The King for a Christmas present, and got The Two Towers from my mom.

My favorite Lord of The Rings charecter is Gimli. 

Written By: Zella on 03/03/05 at 2:06 am

Yes, I did notice when I read it that it did read quite like a Bible. I assumed that is why they sold it there. :)

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 03/03/05 at 1:23 pm

Bought The Fellowship of The Rings myself, got The Return of The King for a Christmas present, and got The Two Towers from my mom.

My favorite Lord of The Rings charecter is Gimli. 

Gilmi's awesome.  I like Gollum  ;D

Written By: maddog on 03/03/05 at 3:44 pm

I read the Lord Of The Rings trilogy when I was about 12 or 13 and I thought it was fantastic. I read The Silmarillion when I was about 15 and I thought it was even better. Then I read The Silmarillion again a couple of years ago and I couldn't really remember what I loved about it so much! I've always enjoyed tales of mythology but The Silmarillion just gets so complicated with all those family trees and characters with similar names, maybe that's what appealled to the "anorak" part of me as a teenage boy.

It's great to read from the point of view of understanding the whole context of the Lord Of the Rings trilogy. Tolkien devotees (e.g. the ones who've learned to speak Elvish fluently) tend to look down on people who haven't read The Silmarillion.

My favourite parts of the book are the battles, particularly the battle between Fingon and Gothmog.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 03/03/05 at 5:23 pm

A lot of people hate on the Sil.  I love it, but I'm just a geek  ;D

Written By: shiprunner12 on 03/03/05 at 6:27 pm

I've read The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings trilogy. I started to read the Silmarillion but only got to about the third page and got really bored and confused, so I stopped. I did really enjoy the other books though.

Written By: Echo Nomad on 05/13/06 at 1:31 am

I've read The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings trilogy. I started to read the Silmarillion but only got to about the third page and got really bored and confused, so I stopped. I did really enjoy the other books though.

I actually read through the S book but found it to be like the old testiment. He really liked drawing family trees!

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 05/13/06 at 2:08 am

I actually read through the S book but found it to be like the old testiment. He really liked drawing family trees!
I first read The Lord of the Rings in the early 70's and fell in love with the story, I had the Silmarillion for about 15 years, tried many times to read and couldn't get into it. Finally read it last year, and after all this time, with the addition of the movies, I finally read it and thoroughly enjoyed it. Tolkien takes the reader way back in time to the beginning of Middle Earth, thousands of years before the Hobbit and LOTR, and lets you see into the history of the earlier battles between good/evil, the creation of the ring of power and I found it fascinating to see the origins of the elves, orcs, ents, dwarves, balrogs, wizards, men, etc, etc...  It's a tough read, not as easy as the trilogy, but I recommend it to the avid LOTR fans.  8)

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/13/06 at 6:14 am

I've been looking for the Silmarillion in bookshops, libraries.etc with no luck. Guess I'll go to good old Amazon. Not that I'm a huge LOTR Fan, I'm just creating my own fantasy world, so it'll be good for reference. Have to admit, though, LOTR is a bit overrated. There is better stuff out there in terms of the fantasy genre.

Check for new replies or respond here...