inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What do you think of Dr. Phil?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/01/05 at 3:01 pm

What does everyone here think of Dr. Phil McGraw? Does he help people with his show and books, or he is a jerk with a big ego problem?

Subject: Re: What do you think of Dr. Phil?

Written By: pimpinsteelersfan on 03/01/05 at 3:03 pm

I have watched his show a couple of times(nothing was on).  He really seems to help people.  I don't think he has an ego problem.

Written By: Leo Jay on 03/01/05 at 3:12 pm

What does everyone here think of Dr. Phil McGraw? Does he help people with his show and books, or he is a jerk with a big ego problem?

He clearly has helped a lot of people.  His ego isn't a problem with me, 'cuz he ain't part of my life.  Is there a reason you're asking?  Are you considering seeking counseling from him?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/01/05 at 3:28 pm

He clearly has helped a lot of people.  His ego isn't a problem with me, 'cuz he ain't part of my life.  Is there a reason you're asking?  Are you considering seeking counseling from him?

Nope... 

Written By: NullandVoid on 03/01/05 at 4:05 pm

I dunno about him, I kinda don't trust Doctors who have talk shows. It's like lawyers who advertise themselves on TV, it just takes some of the credibility away.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 03/01/05 at 6:04 pm

I already get counseling and wisdom from
1)my mental-health PACT team
2)my close friends
3)my faith in God and the Bible....

Written By: jiminy on 03/01/05 at 6:09 pm

if he can cure the clap then he's OK in my book

Written By: Tanya1976 on 03/01/05 at 7:12 pm

He's an egotistical ass!

Tanya

Written By: AL-B on 03/01/05 at 8:41 pm

David Letterman used to constantly make snide remarks about Dr. Phil on the Late Show. Dr. Phil had the balls to go on Letterman's show and confront him, and not only did he hold his own against Letterman, but more often than not he got the best of Dave. I thought he was funny as hell, and he totally earned my respect.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/01/05 at 8:59 pm

Dr. Phil is the P.T. Barnum of pop-psychology.  Of course he's got an ego problem.  He's the sicko!  Nah, he's just a Big Media 'ho, like Dr. Laura.
::)

Anybody who turns to Dr. Phil or Dr. Laura for help gets the help he deserves!

Written By: AL-B on 03/01/05 at 9:00 pm

Dr. Phil is the P.T. Barnum of pop-psychology.  Of course he's got an ego problem.  He's the sicko!  Nah, he's just a Big Media 'ho, like Dr. Laura.

I don't know about Dr. Phil, but I've listened to Dr. Laura's show a couple of times and she gives the sh*ttiest advice.

Written By: Leo Jay on 03/01/05 at 9:52 pm

Well, if he's a Media 'ho, he learned from the best -- the original 'Media O'.

Written By: Jennifer028 on 03/01/05 at 9:57 pm

I love Dr. Phil  :)

Written By: jackas on 03/01/05 at 10:46 pm

if he can cure the clap then he's OK in my book

Got a little drip going on, jiminy? ???

Written By: jackas on 03/01/05 at 10:52 pm

I don't know about Dr. Phil, but I've listened to Dr. Laura's show a couple of times and she gives the sh*ttiest advice.

Agreed, and Dr Laura is a major b!tch too, she's rude.

I love Dr Phil though, he gives good honest advice.  Some people think he's an a$$ because he is too straight forward.  Hey, if someone is trying to get their problem solved in a 30 min segment, you have to be frank.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/01/05 at 11:34 pm

Well, if he's a Media 'ho, he learned from the best -- the original 'Media O'.

Ayyuhh, you got that a-right!
--Caleb Stoddard,
Tamworth, NH

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/02/05 at 12:34 am

Who is this Dr. Phil anyway?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/02/05 at 1:03 am

Mum's the word.  The longer you don't know who Dr. Phil is, the better off you'll be!

Written By: Leo Jay on 03/02/05 at 9:33 am

I love Dr Phil though, he gives good honest advice.  Some people think he's an a$$ because he is too straight forward.

Some people would rather go to a shrink who lets them wallow endlessly in self-pity.

Written By: jackas on 03/02/05 at 9:40 am

He's a psychologist here in the US who now has a talk show.  People go on to his show to try and get help with their problems.  It's nothing like Jerry Springer, not corny or tacky.  In my opinion, he gives great advice. I often find that those who are opposed to him are the people who have the most personality conflicts and who refuse to acknowledge there own faults.

Written By: jackas on 03/02/05 at 9:44 am

Some people would rather go to a shrink who lets them wallow endlessly in self-pity.

That's so true.  If that's what they want they should go have a talk with their mother. 

Written By: Leo Jay on 03/02/05 at 11:30 am

That's so true.  If that's what they want they should go have a talk with their mother. 

Cheaper than a therapist for sure.  Financially anyway.  ;)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 03/02/05 at 12:23 pm

http://community.the-underdogs.org/smiley/misc/abducted.gif

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/02/05 at 12:27 pm

Mum's the word.  The longer you don't know who Dr. Phil is, the better off you'll be!

Go on, tell me please?

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 03/03/05 at 11:50 am

Oh excuse me.....wallow in self-pity? No modern psychiatrist is like that....my psychiatrist,PACT Team,and housing program staff motivate me rather than let me "wallow in self-pity"...anyone who has a Milquetoast for a shrink needs to change doctors and/or clinics!

Written By: Leo Jay on 03/03/05 at 11:58 am

Oh excuse me.....wallow in self-pity? No modern psychiatrist is like that....my psychiatrist,PACT Team,and housing program staff motivate me rather than let me "wallow in self-pity"...anyone who has a Milquetoast for a shrink needs to change doctors and/or clinics!

The assertion that "no modern psychiatrist is like that" is just ridiculous on its face.

Those who want to whine and blame the world will fire any therapist who doesn't allow them to do so.  Those who do wish to empower themselves will find therapists who will help them to do just that.

Written By: jackas on 03/03/05 at 1:40 pm

My husband went to talk to someone not long ago and she would allow him to "wallow in self-pity" and she would reassure him on any ridiculous notion he had.  Needless to say, she didn't help much.

Oh, and by the way I couldn't find it anywhere in the post that you're quoting that said, "Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist likes to wallow in self pity."  It says "some people". 

Written By: Echo Nomad on 05/13/06 at 1:29 am

I could be wrong but I really don't care for the guy. He's not only pop psychology, but explotive as well.

Written By: whistledog on 05/13/06 at 9:51 am

Dr. Phil helps people, though after his goofy role in Scary Movie 4, his career might need helping ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/13/06 at 10:03 am

[quote author=wһіѕ

Written By: Echo Nomad on 05/13/06 at 10:20 am

I saw Scary Movie 4 the other week, which character was played by Dr. Phil?

I think it was the guy that looked liked Shaq- ;D

Written By: Apricot on 05/13/06 at 10:23 am

I saw Scary Movie 4 the other week, which character was played by Dr. Phil?

I think that actually was him. It was funny hearing Dr. Phil swear. ;D

He's alright, I guess.. he can be a bit of a jerk, but he doesn't hold back in telling people they're being ridiculous. I wouldn't go to him for my problems, but I guess he's okay.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/13/06 at 10:34 am

I think it was the guy that looked liked Shaq- ;D

I think that actually was him. It was funny hearing Dr. Phil swear. ;D

He's alright, I guess.. he can be a bit of a jerk, but he doesn't hold back in telling people they're being ridiculous. I wouldn't go to him for my problems, but I guess he's okay.

I know where to check.

He played Dr. Phillip C. McGraw as  Himself (as Dr. Phil).

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/13/06 at 11:22 am

There's a half-azzed Chevy Chase movie form 1981 called "Modern Problems." In it, Dabney Coleman plays a male chauvinist, mustachioed psychologist named "Mark Winslow." That's Dr. Phil. "Modern Problems" was on HBO a while back, and upon seeing Dabney Coleman's "Mark Winslow," I wondered if Dr. Phil copied his persona from that character!
You should see it "Modern Problems" if you get the chance. It's kind of a turkey, but Dabney Coleman makes it worthwhile. We saw it in the theater when it came out and "Mark Winslow" was the character I always remembered...
http://imdb.com/title/tt0082763/

Anyway, I think "Doctor" Phil McGraw does for pyschology what "Reverend" Pat Robertson does for Protestantism!!!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/13/06 at 2:26 pm

I don't know..everytime I have watched the show, it seems that he doesn't really help the guests. He never really offers them much tips or advice. They usually bitch about their problems, he asks more questions about their problems....and then he says something about getting them the help they need. Next thing you know, he and his wife are walking out of the room (btw, why is his wife at EVERY show?).

Written By: JamieMcBain on 05/13/06 at 2:50 pm

Good question!

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/14/06 at 2:15 am

I don't mind Dr. Phil, it's just his guests who drive me nuts.  ;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 05/14/06 at 10:06 am

Like Jerry Springer nuts?  ;D

Written By: Apricot on 05/14/06 at 11:13 am

I don't know..everytime I have watched the show, it seems that he doesn't really help the guests. He never really offers them much tips or advice. They usually bitch about their problems, he asks more questions about their problems....and then he says something about getting them the help they need. Next thing you know, he and his wife are walking out of the room (btw, why is his wife at EVERY show?).

From what I've seen, he usually takes the dumbest one of the bunch and badmouths them for about 10 minutes, and the audience cheers. Then he badmouths the next person for 10 minutes, and the audience cheers.

I don't know how much actual progress takes place on his show, but he must be doing something right to be this popular.

My piano teacher has his book, I sometimes thumb through if I'm waiting for lessons to start cause I've shown up early.. the guy seems like he knows what he's talking about.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/14/06 at 11:59 am

Like Jerry Springer nuts?  ;D

Maybe not that bad  ;D

But, I guess some of their problems are just things that we've seen on Oprah a bajillion times and it's like "Don't people learn from this stuff anymore?"  ::)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/14/06 at 12:55 pm

You wouldn't let that man out of your sight either!

Written By: Bobby on 05/14/06 at 1:06 pm

Go on, tell me please?

Dr Phil is a doctor who goes on telly (I think he appears on SKY1) to help people with biological/psychological and relationship problems. I do see that the man has an ego problem but . . . I suppose if he is earning more money to go on telly to do things a normal doctor would do then all the best to him.

However, IMO, the line between doctor and quack blur once s/he goes on telly to do things that normal doctors do because they seriously want to as a profession. You must question a person's motives for doing such a thing.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/14/06 at 1:14 pm

Dr Phil is a doctor who goes on telly (I think he appears on SKY1) to help people with biological/psychological and relationship problems. I do see that the man has an ego problem but . . . I suppose if he is earning more money to go on telly to do things a normal doctor would do then all the best to him.

However, IMO, the line between doctor and quack blur once s/he goes on telly to do things that normal doctors do because they seriously want to as a profession. You must question a person's motives for doing such a thing.

As with people who call up radio pop psychologists, such as Dr. Laura and Dr. Joy Brown, people who go on TV so Dr. Phil can help them with their problems deserve whatever quack advice they get. It's like PT Barnum said, "there's a sucker born every second."

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/14/06 at 1:16 pm

On Sky, I try and check him out.

Written By: Bobby on 05/14/06 at 6:26 pm

As with people who call up radio pop psychologists, such as Dr. Laura and Dr. Joy Brown, people who go on TV so Dr. Phil can help them with their problems deserve whatever quack advice they get. It's like PT Barnum said, "there's a sucker born every second."

That's right. There is a double incentive involved. Dr Phil gets to earn loads of money 'solving' people's problems and the people's incentive is not neccessarily that they get their problem solved but because they recieve a certain amount of fame on the telly.

"Dr Phil, I have a bad case of piles . . . But in the meantime can I say hello to James, Lisa, Trixie the dog . . ."

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/15/06 at 12:45 am

That's right. There is a double incentive involved. Dr Phil gets to earn loads of money 'solving' people's problems and the people's incentive is not neccessarily that they get their problem solved but because they recieve a certain amount of fame on the telly.

"Dr Phil, I have a bad case of piles . . . But in the meantime can I say hello to James, Lisa, Trixie the dog . . ."

Nah, that's more the territory of the televangelists. "Oh Lord, there's a lady in Croydon with a bad case of piles, I beseech thee to render thy merciful powers of the Christ child to heal this lady's piles..."
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/icon_cheers.gif

Check for new replies or respond here...