inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 2010s

Written By: jersey_bwoy2078 on 03/03/05 at 3:21 pm

What will this world be like in the 2010s? What do you think will happen 5 years from now? Fashion, culture, economy, environment, world peace, and prosperity. Will we start seeing robots living amongst us? Will we have another Bush as our president? We have become more advanced now then we did ten years ago, even five years ago. Think of what lies ahead of us in the next five to ten years. Some say peace. Some say death. Some say the prophecies of the end of the Mayan calendar hold true about finally entering a new dimention, or technology failures that will cast us back to the stone age/ice age after December 21, 2012. Now that we are four years(five counting 2000) into the new millenium, we've started treating this fascinating time as if it were the 90s, but more detailed. But I will find it very interesting how the world will think, feel, live, etc... as we move on down the road. Some people will write it off as "blah", just another year closer to dying. Others will shape this world to be something we see in science fiction movies. And the rest will just bask in the mysteries that will await us. What I want to know is what do YOU, the reader, think will happen in the 2010s? I'm just curious, because I like talking to people about this stuff. Thank you all.

Subject: Re: 2010s

Written By: 80sfan on 08/22/08 at 9:03 am

Hmm, I think the 2010's will be a transition to the 2020's. I also think it will be more turbulent than the 00's! There's something about the next decade (2010's) though, I just have a feeling, Lol ! Oh, and isn't the 10's only 2 years from now?

Written By: guest on 08/22/08 at 3:34 pm

Its funny, i was just thinking about this myself. And its easy for these posts to sort of degenerate into mindless decadeology or speculation on stuff that just hasn't happened yet, but it is something to think about. The end of the decade is only a year and a half away, and we've sort of entered that exciting "transition" period.
We're seeing a transition between generations as well. Its sort of sad Generation Y's "time" (2002-07) is ending and Generation Z is beginning to take over. Even the fact that something like the Jonas Brothers or Miley Cyrus is popular, these are the first true "Gen Z things" and I suppose you could expect to see more. Who knows what will happen with the economy, although I've got a bad feeling things will get worse before they get better. I think the early part of the 10's may be very turbulent on this front. Personally I think things with Iraq are tapering down and by 2009/10 or even 2011 we may see a successful withdrawal of our troops. Hopefully it should be more reminiscent of the end of the Cold War than the end of Vietnam. This is just an analogy of course, the conflicts are dramatically different. Frankly either Obama or McCain would follow roughly the same blueprint in my mind, though with different approaches. Beyond politics the situation in Iraq is definitely getting better, and that would affect the course of the next President through the early 2010s.

It is exciting though, the more you turn into the news with the 08' election going on and Bush's final days (thank god) it seems like the beginning of a new era. Hopefully like 1989, 2009 will see the return of some good nonsense sitcoms like Seinfeld.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/22/08 at 5:41 pm

I call decadology on this one.

Written By: VegettoVa90 on 08/23/08 at 11:55 am

Wow, it took three years for people to notice this thread  :o

Anyway, I've often speculated this myself, but I try not to get obsessed over it. Like many have said, we're currently in a "transition" period, similar to '73 - '75 after the hippies and before disco dominated, and '89 - '92 after Reagan left office and prior to the death of hairmetal and old school hip hop giving way to grunge and gangsta rap. Right now we're seeing the decline of glam rap and emo (both should be dead by 2011) and the rise in popularity of alternative hip hop and real rock (though it's not too noticeable now, it's definitely happening). This leads me to believe that once the older Yers and younger Zers come of age in the next decade and grow out of the Disney pop dookie, they'll look down on what was popular in the 00's, much like the Gen Xers did the 80's. This will probably mean edgier and more socially conscious music is on the way, since that seems to be void in this decade. What genres do I think we'll be the choice of the next generation? Obviously no one can really predict, but if I had to say I'd go with some type of progressive rock or metal, as both sharply contrast this emo/hipster thing, and far more real, conscious hip hop that appeals more to the urban areas than suburbia. Hip hop may actually be entirely rejected by white America in the 2010's, and it is likely that Blacks may create another form of music after Hip Hop dies (it may not happen in the next decade, but it will eventually). This new music will probably be greatly influenced by Hip Hop, much like Hip Hop was influenced by Disco and Funk was by Rock (and Rock by Blues, etc.). Anyway, expect the 2010's to contrast the 00's in almost every way, video games to be on the verge of virtual reality (which may be in its primitive stages that you'd see on Dexters Lab or Cow and Chicken) and HDTV's to be "so 00's" by 2020. I'm not going to predict anything involving politics, but in terms of the economy, I think staglfation will fully hit America by 2010, and may not be gone until halfway through the decade.

Written By: thewolrab on 08/23/08 at 4:18 pm

Hmm, I think the 2010's will be a transition to the 2020's. I also think it will be more turbulent than the 00's! There's something about the next decade (2010's) though, I just have a feeling, Lol ! Oh, and isn't the 10's only 2 years from now?

Yes, it is but this thread was created in 2005... The 2010s will be the 2010s. We've seen many changes during this decade, and changes will continue to occur in the 2010s, eventually "ending" with a completely different feel for that decade than this one - which is what happens every decade.

But remember, the changing never stops, society just evolves... or... devolves.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/23/08 at 5:24 pm

Wow, it took three years for people to notice this thread  :o

Anyway, I've often speculated this myself, but I try not to get obsessed over it. Like many have said, we're currently in a "transition" period, similar to '73 - '75 after the hippies and before disco dominated, and '89 - '92 after Reagan left office and prior to the death of hairmetal and old school hip hop giving way to grunge and gangsta rap. Right now we're seeing the decline of glam rap and emo (both should be dead by 2011) and the rise in popularity of alternative hip hop and real rock (though it's not too noticeable now, it's definitely happening). This leads me to believe that once the older Yers and younger Zers come of age in the next decade and grow out of the Disney pop dookie, they'll look down on what was popular in the 00's, much like the Gen Xers did the 80's. This will probably mean edgier and more socially conscious music is on the way, since that seems to be void in this decade. What genres do I think we'll be the choice of the next generation? Obviously no one can really predict, but if I had to say I'd go with some type of progressive rock or metal, as both sharply contrast this emo/hipster thing, and far more real, conscious hip hop that appeals more to the urban areas than suburbia. Hip hop may actually be entirely rejected by white America in the 2010's, and it is likely that Blacks may create another form of music after Hip Hop dies (it may not happen in the next decade, but it will eventually). This new music will probably be greatly influenced by Hip Hop, much like Hip Hop was influenced by Disco and Funk was by Rock (and Rock by Blues, etc.). Anyway, expect the 2010's to contrast the 00's in almost every way, video games to be on the verge of virtual reality (which may be in its primitive stages that you'd see on Dexters Lab or Cow and Chicken) and HDTV's to be "so 00's" by 2020. I'm not going to predict anything involving politics, but in terms of the economy, I think staglfation will fully hit America by 2010, and may not be gone until halfway through the decade.

Even though its impossible to forecast stuff like this, most of your predictions are the same as mine.

Other than that, one noticeable and interesting change in the next decade will be my generation shifting from being the main consumers of pop culture (which we have been for about a decade now) to being the main producers of pop culture. Also, it will be interesting to see what those born in the early '00s and after who were too young to really get into the music and culture of this decade will like as they come of age over the next couple of years.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/23/08 at 5:27 pm

If the Mayans are right 2013 will not exist.

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/23/08 at 6:20 pm

I call decadology on this one.

agreed... let's lock this topic and pretend it was never bumped

Check for new replies or respond here...