inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Can Michael Jackson make a comeback?

Written By: Robbo on 03/04/05 at 6:56 pm

Once upon a time, Michael Jackson was the biggest star in the world. Then there was the 1993 allegations, which damaged his career severly. If past allegations damged his career severly, what will these allegations do to his allready damaged career?
Can he make a comeback? or will he try but fail?

Subject: Re: Can Michael Jackson make a comeback?

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 03/04/05 at 10:13 pm

Once upon a time, Michael Jackson was the biggest star in the world. Then there was the 1993 allegations, which damaged his career severly. If past allegations damged his career severly, what will these allegations do to his allready damaged career?

I hate to disappoint you, but I vote prison.  Somehow I can just feel it.

-DR

Written By: Robbo on 03/05/05 at 12:41 am

I hate to disappoint you, but I vote prison.  Somehow I can just feel it.

-DR

You can just feel it can you? Well I hate to dissapoint you but "feeling it" has nothing to do with evidence or proof. Let me remind you that the prosecution have NO evidence, yet the defence has all the evidence they need to not only win this case, but get the accuser put into juvi and put his mother in prison. Sony Music is also in on this case, they play a big part in the conspiracy against Michael, so if the defence wins, Sony Music may by handed over to Michael.

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/05/05 at 12:44 am

I vote for prison as well, I can't wait till that sick son of a ***** is locked up. Yeah he was big at one time, while he was still human, he has now devolved into some kind of animal.

Written By: AL-B on 03/05/05 at 1:09 am

I don't think a comeback is out of the question (if he is cleared in court, that is), because Michael Jackson is such an enormously talented individual, but it will be extremely difficult, and I believe that in order for him to do so two things must happen:

1.) He must first come to terms with his fame and be more open and self-confident when dealing with the public and press.  As I said in another post, his reclusiveness and his obsession with secrecy and privacy are the key reasons (aside from his unfortunate plastic surgeries) why he is perceived as a "freak."  If he is found innocent, his first public appearance after the trial will be critical. If Michael Jackson could somehow start to become more confident and relaxed (and perhaps a bit more masculine) it would do a lot for his public image. He needs to sack up a bit.

2.) His next album must be equal to or greater than "Thriller." It must be so mindblowingly great that it forces everyone (music critics especially) to take notice. It must remind everyone of why he became such a huge star in the first place. Anything less than a stellar effort would almost certainly spell disaster. Michael Jackson will always have his loyal core of fans, but for him to succeed he will have to appeal to people outside that core.

A comeback for Michael Jackson isn't impossible, but close. For this to happen (again, providing he's not found guilty) it would take a monumental effort if not a miracle.

Written By: AL-B on 03/05/05 at 1:14 am

Oh yeah, and he should also sell the rights to the Beatles catalog back to Paul McCartney for a fair price. The way he outbidded McCartney and subsequently whored out classic Beatles songs to advertisers shows that Michael Jackson isn't the sweet sensitive guy he tries to portray himself as. Yeah, screw it. I hope they find him guilty and he gets thrown into the general population at San Quentin.

Written By: NullandVoid on 03/05/05 at 1:35 am

Honestly I don't think Michael Jackson can EVER regain his fame, whether he is found guilty or not. His music is just not up to par and his image certainly doesn't help him.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/05/05 at 2:22 am

I don't see MJ spending the rest of his life in prison, but I think he's finished as a pop star.  He could still put out records, but they'd barely sell six figures, if that.
If he goes to jail for a spell, people might forget him, and then not care much to remember when he's released.  Remember what happened to Rick James?
If he's convicted of any molestation charge, he'll be persona non-grata.  He won't make news again until he croaks.
I don't think MJ deserves a long prison term, it would suffice to put him on life-long probation.  He'll never let anyone under 18 in his pad again!

Written By: Robbo on 03/05/05 at 4:31 am

I don't think a comeback is out of the question (if he is cleared in court, that is), because Michael Jackson is such an enormously talented individual, but it will be extremely difficult, and I believe that in order for him to do so two things must happen:

1.) He must first come to terms with his fame and be more open and self-confident when dealing with the public and press.  As I said in another post, his reclusiveness and his obsession with secrecy and privacy are the key reasons (aside from his unfortunate plastic surgeries) why he is perceived as a "freak."  If he is found innocent, his first public appearance after the trial will be critical. If Michael Jackson could somehow start to become more confident and relaxed (and perhaps a bit more masculine) it would do a lot for his public image. He needs to sack up a bit.

Did you happen to catch the interview he did with Geraldo Rivera after the Superbowl? He said never again will he be so niave as to let anyone stay at Neverland, expecially children. Ofourse he will keep inviting poor, sick and terminally ill kids into Neverland for the day, but no sleep overs ever again.
He also appeared to be sooo normal. Even I, being a fan of his, was shocked to see him so normal but he said, "This is what I'm always like", and Geraldo, who is a long-time pal of Michael's agreed.
Also, the way he's been conducting himself at court, I take my hat off to him. He's not dancing on top of cars anymore, he's not giving the finegr to the press. He's actually letting reporters ask a couple of questions. He hasn't gotten carried away with the fans. He give them a smile, a wave and then he walks into the courtroom. He's been conducting himself so well. I think he's definately woken up to himself since these allegations happened and realised that it's okay to compensate for your lost childhood, but he's now 46. He's been compensating for his lost childhood for nearly over 30 years now. He has children of his own who's childhood's he has to think about. It's time for him to grow up, and it's taken a while, but I think he's finally realised this. We are seeing a new Michael Jackson.

2.) His next album must be equal to or greater than "Thriller." It must be so mindblowingly great that it forces everyone (music critics especially) to take notice. It must remind everyone of why he became such a huge star in the first place. Anything less than a stellar effort would almost certainly spell disaster. Michael Jackson will always have his loyal core of fans, but for him to succeed he will have to appeal to people outside that core.
Well I was thinking his debut single for after the trial is over would have to be a classic Michael Jackson track. A dancefloor track. Like Billie Jean, Thriller, Bad, Smooth Criminal, Blood On The Dance Floor, You Rock My World, something like that. Then the rest of the album should emerge from classic pop and take on all different styles. In the past, Michael has recorded pop, rock, rnb, classical, latin-pop, he's even ventured into modern forms of jazz. If he could incorporate all these different styles into one album, he's get so much respect as a musician. I'm getting the feeling that Michael next album will be full of songs like 'Scream' which are all about the trail and all angry/personal songs. That's what I'm worried about. michael has to forget about this trail all together and move on. I think the public is sick of Michael complainging through song. I'm not sure if he realises that, but he needs to realise it quick, or else he is going to crash and burn when he releases his next album.

A comeback for Michael Jackson isn't impossible, but close. For this to happen (again, providing he's not found guilty) it would take a monumental effort if not a miracle.
Well, you know what it's like with Michael Jackson. One surprise after another. I'm sure he can pull it off. It wont take a miracle, but it'd take alot of effort, that's for sure.

Written By: Alchoholica on 03/05/05 at 4:53 am

Jailhouse Rock anybody

Written By: Bobby on 03/05/05 at 5:03 am

Jailhouse Rock anybody

Lol.  ;D

I said retirement for sure. I'm not too sure about prison yet.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/05/05 at 11:23 am

If he's innocent, perhaps.... but his next record has to be amazing, plus he'll still have to deal with the media.

If he's guilty, he won't serve a long sentence, but he'll still have a past to live down.

My guess.... his career will decline, but he'll still have his die hard fans to support him.

Written By: Webstor on 03/05/05 at 11:25 am

it would be the greatest comeback story of our time....

Written By: pimpinsteelersfan on 03/05/05 at 12:13 pm

I hope he goes to prison for the rest of his life.

Written By: sputnikcorp on 03/05/05 at 12:48 pm

whether he walks free or not i care little. his music was never something i call enjoyable.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 03/05/05 at 12:54 pm

it would be the greatest comeback story of our time....
No, I think OJ coming back would be a bit bigger :P

Written By: Jennifer028 on 03/05/05 at 2:51 pm

Yes but not as big as the 80's

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 03/05/05 at 3:32 pm

If guilty and not found insane I hope he gets at least a couple decades in jail.  He's 45 so even if he got 20 years he'd be a senior citizen, but I wouldn't complain about a life sentence.  Personally I'd give him life but a chance for parole if he really could prove he deserves it.

I vote for prison as well, I can't wait till that sick son of a ***** is locked up. Yeah he was big at one time, while he was still human, he has now devolved into some kind of animal.

He's definitely a mental case, pretty much all criminals are imo (not counting drug criminals).  It's just if his psychosis is the type that lets one off the hook fairly or not.

Will he make a comeback? If innocent, maybe a bit but only by his supporters.

My Two Cents.

-DR  :)

Check for new replies or respond here...