inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When will Boy Band (Mainstream) Rap end?

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 03/05/05 at 4:16 pm

I'd say 2011, but it will lose momentum by 2008ish.

-DR  :)

Subject: Re: When will Boy Band (Mainstream) Rap end?

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/05/05 at 4:20 pm

I'd say 2011, but it will lose momentum by 2008ish.

-DR  :)

I never heard the term boy band rap, rap groups really aren't "bands", anyways does this include hip-hop/r&b, or just true rap?

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 03/05/05 at 4:21 pm

I never heard the term boy band rap, rap groups really aren't "bands", anyways does this include hip-hop/r&b, or just true rap?

My use of "Boy Band" is kinda sarcastic.  ;D  Depends what you mean by "real rap", I mean Lil' Jon, Ja Rule, 50 Cent stuff. Rap enough but I can't stand it  :P

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/05/05 at 4:25 pm

My use of "Boy Band" is kinda sarcastic.  ;D  Depends what you mean by "real rap", I mean Lil' Jon, Ja Rule, 50 Cent stuff. Rap enough but I can't stand it  :P

Yeah I'd call that real rap too, what I mean is to differentiate between songs like One, two step and Dilemma, vs. In da Club and Shake ya tailfeather. I don't know when it will end maybe by '08 or so, hopefully.

Written By: Kyle on 03/05/05 at 4:30 pm

What!!!  *NSYNC+Rap = CRAP!!!  I don't think these types of music mix very well.

Celebrity, Celebrity!!!  Applaud!!!  Usher kicks in.  ;D ;D ;D :D

Written By: Robbo on 03/05/05 at 5:31 pm

I think that from here, more rap groups will do the thing Jay Z and Linkin Park have been doin. I'm feelin a rock/rap fase coming soon. But eventually rap music will die out. We are getting less and less new rappers each year, and more and more rock bands each year. Eventually the only rap artists still going will be the veterans, Snoop Dogg, P Diddy etc. I think 5-10 years down the track, rap will only be used in other songs. There will be no rap songs as such, but there will be rap verses in pop songs or rock songs. There wont be anymore strictly rap songs.

Written By: Kyle on 03/12/05 at 6:33 pm

I say it will probably start to die down by the end of this year and will be replaced by more pop-punk music  Then our current "Boy Band/Girly Pop Rap Fusion" will get back in style by 2009 with new Boy Bands, and then it will finally die down by 2012-2013ish.  Hopefully, all this rap crap will be kast week's kitty box by 2024.  :) 
8)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/12/05 at 7:08 pm

Most things on our unhappy planet may start winding down in the next few years!
:\'(

Written By: RockandRollFan on 03/12/05 at 7:30 pm

As long as some rappers continue to steal anything they can get thier hands on, and then justify it by calling it "sampling"  and the greedy record companies continue to "create" bands, I don't see it happening anytime soon. Fortunately the only time I listen to it is when I'm driving around and it's thumping from some loud SUV with tiny little tires on it ::)

Written By: Punk Daddy on 03/13/05 at 7:00 am

Didn't know this was such an anti-rap crowd.

I like the sound of rape but hate the lyrics of post Humpty Hump rap.

Anyway, 10 years ago people were saying rap was on the decline and it wasn't/isn't.

I don't see it going anywhere anytime soon....now, if we could just get rid of that punk stuff I'd be one happy man.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 03/13/05 at 10:35 am

Get over it. If you don't like it, turn it off and move on with your lives. Everyone on this board listens to music that everyone may not care for. Just deal.

Tanya

Written By: RockandRollFan on 03/13/05 at 2:15 pm

Anyway, 10 years ago people were saying rap was on the decline and it wasn't/isn't.

I don't see it going anywhere anytime soon....now, if we could just get rid of that punk stuff I'd be one happy man.
I'm not anti-rap....I'm anti noise pollution. Having to sit next to some little punk at a stoplight and be forced to hear his garbage reverberating off buildings is ridiculous. Also, I'm anti-theft which is what most but NOT all rappers make a common practice. To justify what they do by renaming Stealing "Sampling" is just as ridiculous. Botton line...I actually like some rap/rappers. If someone was blaring Rock/country, even opera music in thier car I'd be just as annoyed :)

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/13/05 at 2:19 pm

I'm not anti-rap....I'm anti noise pollution. Having to sit next to some little punk at a stoplight and be forced to hear his garbage reverberating off buildings is ridiculous. Also, I'm anti-theft which is what most but NOT all rappers make a common practice. To justify what they do by renaming Stealing "Sampling" is just as ridiculous. Botton line...I actually like some rap/rappers. If someone was blaring Rock/country, even opera music in thier car I'd be just as annoyed :)

Oh yeah, I hate those people that put their music so loud, that the whole street vibrates. It feels like a darn earthquake at the stoplight.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 03/13/05 at 3:52 pm

You like the sound of rape?  ;D

Seriously though, what do you mean by post-Humpty Hump? Rap after "The Humpty Dance" (1990)?

I haven't liked mainstream rap since 2000.  Really gangsta rap (which is more old school imo) was pretty awful, but the biggest gangsta rappers had talent and they were the ones generally that charted (Snoop, Dr. Dre, and Ice Cube).

Written By: Punk Daddy on 03/13/05 at 9:06 pm

I do mean humpty dance.

Seems that once those of his ilk...like slick rick...died off, gangsta rappers took over.

You know the song 'video killed the radio star'

well 'gangsta rap killed the MC Hammer star'

We all have different music tastes. I actually can't stand 50 cent, most of eminem, and much of mainstream rap artists.

But, there are numerous non-mainstream rap artists that I do listen to such as GRITS, Cross Movement...etc.
But you've probably not heard of those guys.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 03/13/05 at 9:08 pm

I do mean humpty dance.

Seems that once those of his ilk...like slick rick...died off, gangsta rappers took over.

You know the song 'video killed the radio star'

well 'gangsta rap killed the MC Hammer star'

We all have different music tastes. I actually can't stand 50 cent, most of eminem, and much of mainstream rap artists.

But, there are numerous non-mainstream rap artists that I do listen to such as GRITS, Cross Movement...etc.
But you've probably not heard of those guys.

I've heard of Grits.  Wouldn't you say Gangsta Rap took over around 1992? 

You heard of Eyedea and Abilities, Atmosphere, Sage Francis, or Aesop Rock?

Written By: RockandRollFan on 03/13/05 at 10:37 pm

Oh yeah, I hate those people that put their music so loud, that the whole street vibrates. It feels like a darn earthquake at the stoplight.
I always think it's a thunderstorm....jerks ::)

Check for new replies or respond here...